Your servers are getting laggy on more maps - [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Your servers are getting laggy on more maps - [Merged]

Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2020 in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Please investigate your servers as this game is not playable with constant lag spikes. LS4 maps are now starting to lag on NA. This is an action game with active dodging and mechanics like overheat. The game does not function and is NOT playable with lag spikes.

No, it's not my connection, if I ask in map chat, people on different ISP's all over the earth are getting the same lag in the same zones.

<13

Comments

• I suspect there are certain people how would be willing to and more than capable of fixing the issues for them, for the small price of getting a temporary access to the source code and server infrastructure. =)

• Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    They are investigating it already

Posts about this started months ago, I found a reddit thread complaining about it 2 months ago. Did they JUST start working on it or has it been something they've been working on for 2 months+ now?

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Posts about this started months ago, I found a reddit thread complaining about it 2 months ago. Did they JUST start working on it or has it been something they've been working on for 2 months+ now?

It’s probably more helpful if you spent time looking at developer comments on the forums. Posted 6 days ago.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/111982/an-update-on-game-performance-issues

Also, it’s an area that Anet constantly works on. Has been since day 1. So, yeah.

Edit- I do not lag anywhere in pve, only wvw during certain instances. Maybe your computer is the problem? Maybe your ISP is the problem? Do your own diagnostic checks before you blame Anet for anything.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jagblade.4627 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

It’s probably more helpful if you spent time looking at developer comments on the forums. Posted 6 days ago.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/111982/an-update-on-game-performance-issues

Also, it’s an area that Anet constantly works on. Has been since day 1. So, yeah.

Edit- I do not lag anywhere in pve, only wvw during certain instances. Maybe your computer is the problem? Maybe your ISP is the problem? Do your own diagnostic checks before you blame Anet for anything.

It's happening to me as well and has been for weeks. Computer is fine and so is my overall connection. GW2 is the only program / game experiencing this issue. Seems to be the case for a lot of other people.

The route from your PC to a particular game server is not the same. The issue can reside with the servers themselves or with the path that your ISP chose.

• This is getting ridiculous. I'm raging at the gem store to give you money Anet! The freaking page won't even load.
    I'm a backend engineer, HIRE ME Anet. Just email me at my profile's email.
    Gotta do something about this, you are losing money each minutes your API isn't responding...

• Chichimec.9364Chichimec.9364 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020

It's nice that you don't lag and that Anet says they are working on it but for me the lag is getting worse and worse, along with the disconnects. For me, and from the complaints in chat, for others, the lag is bad in WvW and has gotten even worse during the World Boss rush today. It's fine to say check your own computer and isp but when the only place I am getting any lag at all is in GW2, I have to wonder if the fact that they are running a Festival, a WvW event, and a World Boss event, all at the same time, all in the middle of pandemic with many more people than usual staying at home, has anything to do with the current lousy performance of their servers. Heck, during the Admiral Taidha event I couldn't place any of the bombs because once I managed to pick one up, it took sooooo long to place it at the gate. Then I got disconnected in the middle of that battle. So you can apologize for Anet all you want but the game is still becoming unplayable for me.

EDIT: And now I can't even log in to the game anymore: "Guild Wars 2 Has Encountered An Error..."

EDIT 2: After four tries I was able to log back in just in time for the Tequatl battle. This time the lag was in mounting and dismounting. As you may recall, in that battle you spend a lot of time running around back and forth between Tequatl and the various batteries. A mount comes in handy for all that scurrying about unless you are unable to dismount or remount without a looooonnnnggg lag each time. That's it for me today. I'm off to stream some HD movies which I can do just fine without any lag and will try GW2 again after the reset.

• Harak.8397Harak.8397 Member ✭✭✭

I'm experiencing latency only one ONE map: Thunderhead Peaks. It did not happen last October on my old (OLD ) computer, before I took a break from the game and now in August on my new rig this map alone is suddenly hard to play.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

NA East Coast and had no lag last night in Dragonfall. Spent about 45 minutes on the new map this morning without lag. Just adding this for data.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Chichimec.9364Chichimec.9364 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020

@kharmin.7683 said:
    NA East Coast and had no lag last night in Dragonfall. Spent about 45 minutes on the new map this morning without lag. Just adding this for data.

EU servers today - ran through 8 world boss events, including the Admiral, with no lags. My computer hasn't changed since the horrific lags yesterday, nor has my isp. So please explain to me again why, when Anet decides to run a Festival, a WvW event, and a World Boss event all at the same time, at a moment when far larger than usual numbers of people are staying home around the world, and then I, along with a number of others, get hit with horrible lags, I should blame my computer set up or my isp? Seems pretty obvious that Anet simply wasn't ready for the load that hit their servers and that they scrambled trying to catch up and adjust. I'm glad they did but let's not try to shift the blame for the problem.

P.S. Haven't made it to WvW yet today but I sure hope the lag issues have been resolved there too. WvW has been great fun this week when I've been able to play there. :)

EDIT 1: Spent a considerable amount of time in WvW later in the day. Some solo roaming, some running with a small group, and a big chunk of time in a large zerg. There were no noticeable lags for me, even when our zerg ran into equally large enemy zergs and fighting broke out all over the place. Again, it was the same computer set up and the same isp on my end so clearly the lag problems were on Anet's end and whatever the problems were, they seem to have dealt with them.

Bjora's marches lags 100% of the time for everyone in the zone. I refuse to play in this zone when it's lagging, so I don't get to finish my achievements. Please fix this asap.

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Hmm I appreciate them looking into it, but that post also mentioned peoples latency and other problems that are user related. The main problem for most is however the server performance..

• Yggranya.5201Yggranya.5201 Member ✭✭✭

It works mostly fine on most maps for me, except when i enter any PoF map. Can't fight with the massive lag.

• Ariurotl.3718Ariurotl.3718 Member ✭✭✭

It's a massive problem for me, yeah. I rarely complain about creative decisions ANet makes but this server situation is close to a make-or-break issue for me. You can't really be considering another expansion without fixing servers first, can you? Cause that is just plain insane.

• Jagblade.4627Jagblade.4627 Member ✭✭✭

At first I was only experiencing this on Path of Fire maps, then it followed me to Heart of Thorns maps. Now I'm experiencing it on Central Tyria maps. Even the Gem store interface isn't loading up or processing purchases.

edited August 23, 2020

Every single person on my sandswept isle map is lagging right now. They are not on the same connection(50+ people) and are all around the globe.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/691694648745394268/746959744522256475/unknown.png

It was lagging before we engaged the boss, and anywhere on the map. This isn't leyline anomally lag, it's the entire zone.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Excuse me, what?
    I live in FL on ATT&T, my friend lives in new zealand, my other friend lives in russia, and my 3rd friend I've talked to lives in wisconscin on spectrum. I'm on windows 8.1 and one of my other friends is on W10. We all lag in Bjoras at the same time when it's lagging.

I'm a computer science major with a RHCE cert, I'm pretty sure I understand basic networking issues.
    It's NOT me.

Well, I’m not lagging. There is obviously an issue you are missing. Did you run a diagnostics check? Did you post the findings on the board and to Anet? There are tons of variables not related to Anet and it’s not always Anet’s fault, so did you take all the appropriate steps?

edited August 23, 2020

@Yggranya.5201

Not all players are having issues as cited by the word “some”... https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/111982/an-update-on-game-performance-issues

So those players who are experiencing issues could do a more thorough review on their end. Not all issues rest at Anet’s feet, so I’m guessing it would be helpful to provide as much information to Anet as possible.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Excuse me, what?
    I live in FL on ATT&T, my friend lives in new zealand, my other friend lives in russia, and my 3rd friend I've talked to lives in wisconscin on spectrum. I'm on windows 8.1 and one of my other friends is on W10. We all lag in Bjoras at the same time when it's lagging.

I'm a computer science major with a RHCE cert, I'm pretty sure I understand basic networking issues.
    It's NOT me.

Well, I’m not lagging. There is obviously an issue you are missing. Did you run a diagnostics check? Did you post the findings on the board and to Anet? There are tons of variables not related to Anet and it’s not always Anet’s fault, so did you take all the appropriate steps?

If this isn't a problem for you, why are you here just to tell people that there isn't a problem?

Not all players are having issues as cited by the word “some”... https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/111982/an-update-on-game-performance-issues

So those players who are experiencing issues could do a more thorough review on their end. Not all issues rest at Anet’s feet, so I’m guessing it would be helpful to provide as much information to Anet as possible.

If it isn't a problem in any other game, how could it be a problem on my end? I guess i will go play those other games anyway. Not everyone has the same issue is like saying not everyone likes chocolate. That is just an obvious, completely redundant remark.

@Swagger.1459 said:
    @Yggranya.5201

“There are a large number of factors and situations that can cause lag“, and some of those factors aren’t related to Anet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-Network-and-Internet-Latency-(Lag)-in-Microsoft-Windows

https://www.minitool.com/partition-disk/my-computer-lags.html

So, just waste time on pointless "tests" so anet has time to fix their end? Sounds about right.

• Astyrah.4015Astyrah.4015 Member ✭✭✭✭

it's still the same for me, annoying intermittent lag on LWS4 and IBS zones since these server issues started, aaand pretty normal everywhere else.

i do hope they will fix these lag issues sooner now that they mention that they're investigating it... it's pretty much holding me back from farming/playing the newer zones/chapters outside of the story mode

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭

Playing on high speed internet, GW2's the only game that has lag issues, and it only started around late April/May on PoF/LWS4 maps, so pretty sure it's on Anet's side. I can barely play on those maps due to skill lag and cannot do group events on them at all, while almost all other maps are playable.

Really hoping this gets fixed soon.

• Tammuz.7361Tammuz.7361 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2020

Its a map issue, specifically the POF maps and Season 4 maps too it seems on EU servers

• @Swagger.1459 said:
    “There are a large number of factors and situations that can cause lag“, and some of those factors aren’t related to Anet.

Well, when you do a daily bounty hunt in Desert Highland and 20+ people are complaining in map chat about unbearable lagging it's highly probable those 20+ people have nothing else in common than playing the same game on the same server in the same server instance at the same time and the lags are caused by this server instance, isn't it?

Situation is deteriorating from my experience. Desert Highland is one of the most affected maps for whatever reason. But now I get small lags even in Caledon Forest - great gaming experience for new players, I guess :-/

edited August 27, 2020

The EXACT SAME ZONES are still laggy, and now the trading post and gemstone(revenue btw) doesn't even work randomly? Gives an error and refuses to load occasionally, lol.

How do you expect to release this game on steam?

• DivaCeryn.2673DivaCeryn.2673 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2020

The lag and the Connection error pop ups are getting worse by the day. I'm on NA have played GWs and GW2 for 12 years have NEVER had this problem it even took 8 minutes for it to fully login to the forums. I have 490 people in my guild from all parts of the US and around the world they and most everyone I see in map chat have the exact same problem. Anyone posting here that says they don't good for you as it is effecting everyone badly. In the last 3 weeks I have seen a lot of people leave the game because of this. Do you think they will refer their friends to it? The answer would be no. I spend money every month to help support the game like 1000's of others do I suggest stop putting this off and get people working on it until it is fixed!

• Jagblade.4627Jagblade.4627 Member ✭✭✭

Thunderhead Peaks just froze for everyone for nearly two straight minutes, pings were over 4-5k for the duration. Everyone on the map experienced it at the same time

Yeah the problem seems to be getting worse and worse each day with no fixes from Anet.

How do they expect to release this game on steam and a new expansion when their servers don't even work? Do they know what steam reviews are going to say about the game?

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭✭

I noticed in certain POF maps i was getting freezes and really bad desyncs etc, also been having disconnects.

• Keitaro.9061Keitaro.9061 Member ✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020

Here's another lag post.
    I just got my laptop repaired and haven't been able to play for over a month. So I am trying to catch up on content with a friend, doing the Icebrood Saga, and running around killing regular mobs, correction.. "trying" to kill regular mobs, I have almost died countless times due to the lag. How is this even acceptable and why has it not been fixed yet? It is clear this isnt caused by an increase in player numbers.

Anet... what are you doing?
    What are your plans on addressing this issue?
    When are you planning on releasing an actual "FIX" to this issue?

I honestly dont even want to play this game while the lag is this bad. It's not fun, and I feel like I am wasting my time just trying to fight the lag issues.

Seriously Anet, you need to address this issue fully, and talk to the community about your plans on addressing this. The lag has gotten ridiculous and it is absolutely unacceptable

edited August 29, 2020

@Keitaro.9061 said:

they are aware atleast that it's an issue, and released a statement recently about it (after so many months of lagging)

@Keitaro.9061 said:

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Keitaro.9061 said:

they are aware atleast that it's an issue, and released a statement recently about it (after so many months of lagging)

The statement they made is complete trash. "The reality is there's no single sweeping change that can fix latency issues for all players, or even most players."
    This is not a latency issue. That statement pretty much says "there is no real solution for players who have latency issues, but we will look into it."
    This isnt a player latency issue, it is a server issue, and they seriously need to fix it, otherwise people are going to start leaving.

yeah, i'm not satisfied with the way they acknowledged the issue too, the lag is bad (and sometimes borderline unplayable) for me whenever i go to season 4 and icebrood saga maps and it's one reason i haven't bothered farming or doing achievements on these areas and mostly just do the festival stuff/fractals/dailies

but right now there's not much else we can do until they release more information about the issue...

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Have you tried optimizing your settings?

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• JekthAvid.1408JekthAvid.1408 Member ✭✭✭

If lag is completely unacceptable, stop playing video games :)

• The lagg is on every map now and fractals

Same i gave up last night my ping from Australia has gone from 250 to over 1000, obviously something is broken.. I just can't play anymore which means no more Gems i guess.

Now my ping is over 1000 which means its unplayable as an Australian.

• Hi All, is this related to the new streaming functionality? I have been playing since almost the beginning of original GW, and I've never seen it this bad in game where the whole server instance is complaining about 'LAG!!' If the new functionality is affecting the game then please consider turning it off, as you're losing players because of it.