Looking forward to getting old, I think?

Court.7180

So let me get this right... WoWs next expansion is including Ray Tracing, has DX12 support and is 16yrs old... GW2 took OUT voice acting, still uses DX9 and is half WoWs age at 8yrs old... So I guess when i'm twice as old at 76 i'll be better looking and more efficient??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apples and Oranges. And with those stats I still choose GW2 over WoW because making payments on a video game was one of the worst things the gaming community ever accepted. I have not and will not ever play a game with a monthly payment. Anet pulled off an amazing game without forced monthly payments to keep playing.

Lets put the fanboy-ism aside and really take a look at why Gw2 is failing.. and lets not start a debate as to whether or not its failing, the numbers speak for themselves.. I love the game don't get me wrong. But the development of the game is lacking severely. I don't want it to die, I want them to do better!

@Court.7180 said:Lets put the fanboy-ism aside and really take a look at why Gw2 is failing.. and lets not start a debate as to whether or not its failing, the numbers speak for themselves.. I love the game don't get me wrong. But the development of the game is lacking severely. I don't want it to die, I want them to do better!

Can you give me a source for the numbers. I find it is helpful to have all the data when talking about things.

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Apples and Oranges. And with those stats I still choose GW2 over WoW because making payments on a video game was one of the worst things the gaming community ever accepted. I have not and will not ever play a game with a monthly payment. Anet pulled off an amazing game without forced monthly payments to keep playing.

Ehh... I still prefer the subscription model. Since that way I don't get nickle and dime'd for every. Single. Possible. Thing. With paywalls on all the coolest stuff, and inferior baseline systems to be able to monetize the "QoL" upgrades to them.

The only time subscription models go wrong, is when companies go full greed and start short changing on the amount of work they put into a game and only push out "Just enough" to keep people subbed and thus earn money from them regardless of if they're having fun or not... Of course, there are other companies than Bli$$ard so it's not a ubiquitous event, thankfully.

@Court.7180 said:So let me get this right... WoWs next expansion is including Ray Tracing, has DX12 support and is 16yrs old... GW2 took OUT voice acting, still uses DX9 and is half WoWs age at 8yrs old... So I guess when i'm twice as old at 76 i'll be better looking and more efficient??

If you also become super rich, then yes. Yes you will.

That's the advantage that WoW has. Not only did it have its prime with an absolutely massive playerbase in TBC/WotLK era, but even today as a mere shadow of its former self, it still boasts one of the largest playerbases. With the added bonus of Bli$$ard also being a large company that owns several successful IP's.

This means that WoW has a lot more spare cash to put towards updating the game, as well as being able to afford to pay teams to update the game AND to create new content.

Arena Net is not such a large and successful company. They only have 2 games, both of the same IP (Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2) and haven't had the luxury of the incredible playerbase toted by WoW during its prime (Partially because it released when WoW was still going strong, at the start of Pandaria, before people realized how crap the expansion was going to be)

Thus they don't quite have the same amount of resources to spend on things that won't directly generate money, so updating the game takes a backseat to adding new stuff to monetize.

@Parasite.5389 said:

@Court.7180 said:GW2 took OUT voice acting

Are we really complaining about protecting people's health and wellbeing during a pandemic?

Clearly this isn't an attempt or discussion about their health and well being. Its about how so many other developers are thriving during it and even continuing work on new mmorpgs to compete with GW2 instead of cutting corners.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@"Court.7180" said:Lets put the fanboy-ism aside and really take a look at why Gw2 is failing.. and lets not start a debate as to whether or not its failing, the numbers speak for themselves.. I love the game don't get me wrong. But the development of the game is lacking severely. I don't want it to die, I want them to do better!

Can you give me a source for the numbers. I find it is helpful to have all the data when talking about things.

https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2Has the numbers. Yes its still considered a "healthy" game by current standards. But the player base logs in to do things like dailies instead of play the game for extended sessions (self included). Just look at the subscriber to daily player ratio and those "daily players" have a good amount of pop-in players.

@Court.7180 said:

@Court.7180 said:Lets put the fanboy-ism aside and really take a look at why Gw2 is failing.. and lets not start a debate as to whether or not its failing, the numbers speak for themselves.. I love the game don't get me wrong. But the development of the game is lacking severely. I don't want it to die, I want them to do better!

Has the numbers. Yes its still considered a "healthy" game by current standards. But the player base logs in to do things like dailies instead of play the game for extended sessions (self included). Just look at the subscriber to daily player ratio and those "daily players" have a good amount of pop-in players.

How do you know what people log in to do?

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Apples and Oranges. And with those stats I still choose GW2 over WoW because making payments on a video game was one of the worst things the gaming community ever accepted. I have not and will not ever play a game with a monthly payment. Anet pulled off an amazing game without forced monthly payments to keep playing.

Yes they did do a great job. But clearly its not enough.. when's the last time we had an expansion? or a real surge of new content. Last thing I saw was a freaking skimmer under water (seriously?). No new water mounts? Still waiting on Legendary Armory! If they had proper funding from continual income they could afford to do so much more. I'm in the same boat as you, I don't like paying for mmorpg's but I see the benefits of it when comparing it to other games strategies.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Has the numbers. Yes its still considered a "healthy" game by current standards. But the player base logs in to do things like dailies instead of play the game for extended sessions (self included). Just look at the subscriber to daily player ratio and those "daily players" have a good amount of pop-in players.

Very simple answer: I play the game.

@Court.7180 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Apples and Oranges. And with those stats I still choose GW2 over WoW because making payments on a video game was one of the worst things the gaming community ever accepted. I have not and will not ever play a game with a monthly payment. Anet pulled off an amazing game without forced monthly payments to keep playing.

Yes they did do a great job. But clearly its not enough.. when's the last time we had an expansion? or a real surge of new content. Last thing I saw was a freaking skimmer under water (seriously?). No new water mounts? Still waiting on Legendary Armory! If they had proper funding from continual income they could afford to do so much more. I'm in the same boat as you, I don't like paying for mmorpg's but I see the benefits of it when comparing it to other games strategies.

When you say they could do more, what do you want them to do exactly?

@Court.7180 said:

But you just said that you only log in for things like dailies. How do you know what other people are doing?

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

But you just said that you only log in for things like dailies. How do you know what
other
people are doing?

I recently started logging in for just dailies, scheduled raids and other in-out things. I'm speaking of the games history since I and others have been playing. People talk on many different platforms inside and outside of the game.

@Court.7180 said:

But you just said that you only log in for things like dailies. How do you know what
other
people are doing?

I recently started logging in for just dailies, scheduled raids and other in-out things. I'm speaking of the games history since I and others have been playing. People talk on many different platforms inside and outside of the game.

So it is purely anecdotal/speculation when you say that the playerbase only logs in for dailies.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

When you say they could do more, what do you want them to do exactly?

I believe in more than just voicing a complaint, so I appreciate your question.Easy answer: I want them to come out with guildwars 3!Not so easy answer: I want them to establish a different business model. The game has gotten monotonous and repetitive, even the new content is the same concept with the same pieces thrown around in a different way. I want them to embrace next gen and the amazing new tech coming out. With all the Tflops of data being chomped up by consumer hardware now a days, I want them to revolutionize the MMORPG genre just like they did back with Gw1 and Gw2 no grieving system. But this time I want them to focus more on AI development. The winner of the next MMORPG wars will have changed the game by utilizing the power of current hardware in a way never done before and for mmorpgs that focus MUST be on how NPCs interact with players.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

other
people are doing?

So it is purely anecdotal/speculation when you say that the playerbase only logs in for dailies.

Subscribers: 13,263,802 - Daily Players: 378,018What's anecdotal about those numbers?

@Court.7180 said:

other
people are doing?

Subscribers: 13,263,802 - Daily Players: 378,018What's anecdotal about those numbers?

I looked into that website and it seems like it isn't actually an accurate source of numbers.

Regardless of the accuracy of the numbers.. I just want something different.. I'm sure we all long for it.Know what the most enjoyable part of this game is for me? When a bug happens! Like the times when a npc does something unexpected and we all joke about it. Most recent was when ARC spawned not in the middle of Shattered at the end, but enough off to the side that it threw the whole mechanics of the fight off. Everyone cracked jokes on how ARC just got tired of the games monotony too, so he decided to mix it up a bit.

Why can't a npc just decide one day to get out of the dungeon and bring the raid to us for once? The answer is simple: No ones looking at revolutionizing MMORPGs anymore it seems, no ones looking to bring a new AI to the genre. They all bring the same static systems to the table and wonder why the genre is struggling. They all want the money but don't seem to understand that we as consumers only get wise to their schemes.

@Court.7180 said:Regardless of the accuracy of the numbers.. I just want something different.. I'm sure we all long for it.Know what the most enjoyable part of this game is for me? When a bug happens! Like the times when a npc does something unexpected and we all joke about it. Most recent was when ARC spawned not in the middle of Shattered at the end, but enough off to the side that it threw the whole mechanics of the fight off. Everyone cracked jokes on how ARC just got tired of the games monotony too, so he decided to mix it up a bit.

Why can't a npc just decide one day to get out of the dungeon and bring the raid to us for once? The answer is simple: No ones looking at revolutionizing MMORPGs anymore it seems, no ones looking to bring a new AI to the genre. They all bring the same static systems to the table and wonder why the genre is struggling. They all want the money but don't seem to understand that we as consumers only get wise to their schemes.

So my understanding is that you want Anet to make GW3 and includes artificial intelligence that is so complex it will revolutionize gaming in its entirety.That seems... a bit far fetched, to put it lightly.

Friends don't be discouraged! Yes Moore's Law is dead, but new things are on the horizon! New ideas are thrown about every day. Just the thought of a NPC with ambition is itself a revolutionary idea slowly being acted upon. But thats the thing: "slowly". A revolution starts with the spark of an idea and a revolutionary to push that idea into action. Just this discussion alone will be seen by the right eyes and push will start to change. I'm not the first nor the last to have this vision. I believe that we will see it much sooner than we think.

@Court.7180 said:

other
people are doing?

Didn't know that there were still that many botting accounts in the game.