Pure pvp arena without point capture.

Tom Hsiao.9705

Can we have pvp content like 1 vs 1 arena without capturing stupid points or just the good old days 4 vs 4 like GW1 without the capture points (yes I know I’m repeating myself but I really hate capturing points!!). I’m really tired of running around capturing points and totally miss out the pvp a lot of time.

Like literally the team can beat the other team in team fight but because we don’t have people capturing points fast enough we still lose.. like who on earth thought of this horrific idea?? Please give me one map in pvp that’s just pure pvp without capturing some points. Come on GW2 you can do better than this!

Let's also focus on football 1on1s, this is the only relevant part of "football", right? I don't want to play around stupid nets in random aluminium rectangles! Get rid of strategies, tactics and annoying running without ever even getting the ball! Also, goal keepers are literally the worst abomination in football, they hardly ever use their feet!

Dumbing down something is not always the way to go. Make something easy to get into, but keep some complexity for people to learn. It will be abandoned quickly and never become overly popular for a major playerbase (or viewerbase, for that matter).

Add it to unranked if you like as a seperate queue like stonghold. And then see how many people actually like it.

I played high level PvP back in Guild Wars 1 and the old school Team Arenas and Random Arenas were able to support the type of combat for Guild Wars 1.The combat system for Guild Wars 2 is much faster and more versatile and not build to support a Team Deathmatch type game mode purely because it would only revolve around a Team Fight which leaves out a lot of classes.Conquest allows for all classes to compete due to multiple roles available to players.

Dont get me wrong, I'd like more gamemodes for PvP and some innovation but a Team Deathmatch wouldn't suit the game.

@Broady.2358 said:I played high level PvP back in Guild Wars 1 and the old school Team Arenas and Random Arenas were able to support the type of combat for Guild Wars 1.The combat system for Guild Wars 2 is much faster and more versatile and not build to support a Team Deathmatch type game mode purely because it would only revolve around a Team Fight which leaves out a lot of classes.Conquest allows for all classes to compete due to multiple roles available to players.

Dont get me wrong, I'd like more gamemodes for PvP and some innovation but a Team Deathmatch wouldn't suit the game.

In what way do teamfights leave out classes in a TDM or Deathmatch setting? Also which ones is it leaving out exactly and why? I'm curious as to the deeper details of your perspective.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Broady.2358 said:I played high level PvP back in Guild Wars 1 and the old school Team Arenas and Random Arenas were able to support the type of combat for Guild Wars 1.The combat system for Guild Wars 2 is much faster and more versatile and not build to support a Team Deathmatch type game mode purely because it would only revolve around a Team Fight which leaves out a lot of classes.Conquest allows for all classes to compete due to multiple roles available to players.

In what way do teamfights leave out classes in a TDM or Deathmatch setting? Also which ones is it leaving out exactly and why? I'm curious as to the deeper details of your perspective.

Probably the usual classes that arent good in teamfights. So, stuff like thief.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

mesmer,ranger and thief would suckdepending on the map, but people would spam same shit they spammed in 2v2/3v3 like scourge,tempest,holo,crev,bunker guard,scrapper, support warrior

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

mesmer,ranger and thief would suckdepending on the map, but people would spam same kitten they spammed in 2v2/3v3 like scourge,tempest,holo,crev,bunker guard,scrapper, support warrior

Sure, in the current environment with balance Mesmer, Ranger and Thief would likely be left out in the context of TDM because they bring less to the table, even for their own personal bonuses, in a meta where the boon heavy thrive and overwhelm practically everything. Which is why Necro even fits in there at all. It still has the best boon corrupt/strip in the game, it completely muscles out Spellbreaker by sheer volume in regards to playing an offense role in a TDM context. The normal contributors to countering Warrior/Spellbreaker like Aegis, Protection, Stability, etc can all be negated by Necro by having it just take those things away when they are active. Even Spellbreaker can't do that terribly well, especially when boons are so readily available on those classes, and frequently. Which is why Warrior fills the support role...unfortunately.

I think if ANet cuts back even more on Boon accessibility, and which ones these classes have access to aka the variety of boons available to them, TDM could be a much more realistic addition. In a sense, at least speaking very tentatively, Pre-Feb balance would support TDM more because more classes had more of a spread of boons. However the power creep factor is the biggest complication in that context, damage was still far too high, sustain equally so, among the issues of the passive traits that got the 300 sec ICD treatment.

ANet very much still needs to find a better position for balance, however that isn't likely to happen unless they recognize the direct causes of what is making things overbearing in competitive modes; which is to say Boons are one of the biggest contributors to this.

Wish anet would just finally move on and make tdm 2v2 3v3 5v5 permanent. Or least make circlequest the mini season.

Agaian i have like 20 people from all 5 guilds and f list that play circlequest duo 5v5 ranked. I have at least 80+ on my friends and guild list when its 2v2 or 3v3 ranked.

Should have moved on from circlequest around 6 years ago when circlequest ruined all chances of ESL and competitive game play in gw2.

Quick guide to winning most circlequest games.

1. Roll thief with as much evde and stealth as you can.
  2. Throw a short bow on and no need for a second weapon.
  3. Proceed to teleport around capping decapping

You win

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

mesmer,ranger and thief would suckdepending on the map, but people would spam same kitten they spammed in 2v2/3v3 like scourge,tempest,holo,crev,bunker guard,scrapper, support warrior

Sure, in the current environment with balance Mesmer, Ranger and Thief would likely be left out in the context of TDM because they bring less to the table, even for their own personal bonuses, in a meta where the boon heavy thrive and overwhelm practically everything. Which is why Necro even fits in there at all. It still has
the best
boon corrupt/strip in the game, it completely muscles out Spellbreaker by sheer volume in regards to playing an offense role in a TDM context. The normal contributors to countering Warrior/Spellbreaker like Aegis, Protection, Stability, etc can all be negated by Necro by having it just take those things away when they are active. Even Spellbreaker can't do that terribly well, especially when boons are so readily available on those classes, and
frequently
. Which is why Warrior fills the support role...unfortunately.

I think if ANet cuts back even more on Boon accessibility, and which ones these classes have access to aka the variety of boons available to them, TDM could be a much more realistic addition. In a sense, at least speaking very tentatively, Pre-Feb balance would support TDM more because more classes had more of a spread of boons. However the power creep factor is the biggest complication in that context, damage was still far too high, sustain equally so, among the issues of the passive traits that got the 300 sec ICD treatment.

ANet very much still needs to find a better position for balance, however that isn't likely to happen unless they recognize the direct causes of what is making things overbearing in competitive modes; which is to say
Boons
are one of the biggest contributors to this.

This entire discussion is like a loop that'll bring us back to square one every single time. Hoping and waiting for Anet to get a clue with balancing and just delivering anything really, is some misplaced faith and some big time hopeful dreaming, honestly.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

@"Broady.2358" said:I played high level PvP back in Guild Wars 1 and the old school Team Arenas and Random Arenas were able to support the type of combat for Guild Wars 1.The combat system for Guild Wars 2 is much faster and more versatile and not build to support a Team Deathmatch type game mode purely because it would only revolve around a Team Fight which leaves out a lot of classes.Conquest allows for all classes to compete due to multiple roles available to players.

Sure, in the current environment with balance Mesmer, Ranger and Thief would likely be left out in the context of TDM because they bring less to the table, even for their own personal bonuses, in a meta where the boon heavy thrive and overwhelm practically everything. Which is why Necro even fits in there at all. It still has
the best
boon corrupt/strip in the game, it completely muscles out Spellbreaker by sheer volume in regards to playing an offense role in a TDM context. The normal contributors to countering Warrior/Spellbreaker like Aegis, Protection, Stability, etc can all be negated by Necro by having it just take those things away when they are active. Even Spellbreaker can't do that terribly well, especially when boons are so readily available on those classes, and
frequently

ANet very much still needs to find a better position for balance, however that isn't likely to happen unless they recognize the direct causes of what is making things overbearing in competitive modes; which is to say
Boons

This entire discussion is like a loop that'll bring us back to square one every single time. Hoping and waiting for Anet to get a clue with balancing and just delivering anything really, is some misplaced faith and some big time hopeful dreaming, honestly.

I don't say it with the hope that they will do it, I don't say it with any amount of faith that they will "eventually" do it, I say it because it needs to be said and because they aren't saying anything. They don't acknowledge it, they don't talk about it, there seems to be no recognition of the issues from an outward perspective. I give credit where its due, Cmc has said that they are not always right. I can respect that, especially because that is honestly, to my memory, the very first time I have ever heard such a thing uttered by an ANet Dev either vocally or in a blog/forum post.

It is no surprise, or secret, that ANet essentially just doesn't know how to communicate with this community. There are several platforms that allow them to do so, and none of which are used to their advantage. One of the biggest highlights of that is when ANet, sometime last year, put out one of their previews of an upcoming large balance patch. That same day they also indicated that on their weekly/bi-weekly stream Guild Chat that they would be talking about cinematics in the game. There is a significant disconnect ANet seems to have...and its glaringly obvious in how they conduct their "outreach" and communication with this games playerbase. Cmc took some positive, large steps when he did the State of the Game Q&A on Teapots stream about...a month ago. Why that is something ANet hasn't done themselves is honestly beyond my ability to comprehend, apparently, as I honestly can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. Thats where you have to give MightyTeapot credit, the man does a lot for this games community as a content creator, arguably more than ANet has done in years.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@"Broady.2358" said:I played high level PvP back in Guild Wars 1 and the old school Team Arenas and Random Arenas were able to support the type of combat for Guild Wars 1.The combat system for Guild Wars 2 is much faster and more versatile and not build to support a Team Deathmatch type game mode purely because it would only revolve around a Team Fight which leaves out a lot of classes.Conquest allows for all classes to compete due to multiple roles available to players.

the best
frequently

Boons

I don't say it with the hope that they will do it, I don't say it with any amount of faith that they will "eventually" do it, I say it because it needs to be said and because they aren't saying anything. They don't acknowledge it, they don't talk about it, there seems to be no recognition of the issues from an outward perspective. I give credit where its due, Cmc has said that they are not always right. I can respect that, especially because that is honestly, to my memory, the
very first time
I have ever heard such a thing uttered by an ANet Dev either vocally or in a blog/forum post.

It is no surprise, or secret, that ANet essentially just doesn't know how to communicate with this community. There are
several
platforms that allow them to do so, and none of which are used to their advantage. One of the biggest highlights of that is when ANet, sometime last year, put out one of their previews of an upcoming large balance patch. That same day they also indicated that on their weekly/bi-weekly stream Guild Chat that they would be talking about
cinematics
in the game. There is a significant disconnect ANet seems to have...and its glaringly obvious in how they conduct their "outreach" and communication with this games playerbase. Cmc took some positive, large steps when he did the State of the Game Q&A on Teapots stream about...a month ago. Why that is something ANet hasn't done
themselves
is honestly beyond my ability to comprehend, apparently, as I honestly can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. Thats where you have to give MightyTeapot credit, the man does a lot for this games community as a content creator, arguably more than ANet has done in
years

I don't know man, seems like a whole lot of wasted time and text to state something that's pretty common knowledge here, If you think you need to say it. You seemed to have faith in Anet back in February even though a decent part of the community said a good chunk of the fundamental changes were bad, and putting some stock in their 'faster balance patches' claim. With a wait and see approach. Well look at that, still left with the same fundamental garbage changes up to this day. I'm sorry to say but this kinda feels worse than 2013-2014 Gw2 imo. CMC can say they're not always right, which sure it's respectable, but at the end of the day he's still apart of Anet, and Anet as a whole has been making mistakes left and right for years, so it means very little tbh. Teapot does indeed do a lot for the community here, and the community is lucky to have him whether they like him or not , and certainly deserves a lot of credit for the things he pulls off like the tournaments Raiding/PvP and debate content. Though that should also be a sign if he's done more for Gw2 than Anet has done in years, it's a smart thing to not have any high hopes for Anet delivering anything even decent, at least for pvp. All the work goes into the gemstore and PvE side of the game anyways.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

the best
frequently

Boons

I don't say it with the hope that they will do it, I don't say it with any amount of faith that they will "eventually" do it, I say it because it needs to be said and because they aren't saying anything. They don't acknowledge it, they don't talk about it, there seems to be no recognition of the issues from an outward perspective. I give credit where its due, Cmc has said that they are not always right. I can respect that, especially because that is honestly, to my memory, the
very first time
I have ever heard such a thing uttered by an ANet Dev either vocally or in a blog/forum post.

It is no surprise, or secret, that ANet essentially just doesn't know how to communicate with this community. There are
several
platforms that allow them to do so, and none of which are used to their advantage. One of the biggest highlights of that is when ANet, sometime last year, put out one of their previews of an upcoming large balance patch. That same day they also indicated that on their weekly/bi-weekly stream Guild Chat that they would be talking about
cinematics
in the game. There is a significant disconnect ANet seems to have...and its glaringly obvious in how they conduct their "outreach" and communication with this games playerbase. Cmc took some positive, large steps when he did the State of the Game Q&A on Teapots stream about...a month ago. Why that is something ANet hasn't done
themselves
is honestly beyond my ability to comprehend, apparently, as I honestly can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. Thats where you have to give MightyTeapot credit, the man does a lot for this games community as a content creator, arguably more than ANet has done in
years

I don't know man, seems like a whole lot of wasted time and text to state something that's pretty common knowledge here, If you think you need to say it. You seemed to have faith in Anet back in February even though a decent part of the community said a good chunk of the fundamental changes were bad, and putting some stock in their 'faster balance patches' claim. With a wait and see approach. Well look at that, still left with the same fundamental garbage changes up to this day. I'm sorry to say but this kinda feels worse than 2013-2014 Gw2 imo. CMC can say they're not always right, which sure it's respectable, but at the end of the day he's still apart of Anet, and Anet as a whole has been making mistakes left and right for years, so it means very little tbh. Teapot does indeed do a lot for the community here, and the community is lucky to have him whether they like him or not , and certainly deserves a lot of credit for the things he pulls off like the tournaments Raiding/PvP and debate content. Though that should also be a sign if he's done more for Gw2 than Anet has done in years, it's a smart thing to not have any high hopes for Anet delivering anything even decent, at least for pvp. All the work goes into the gemstore and PvE side of the game anyways.

Truthfully yes I held out final judgment until the patch hit, and I do believe the patch, at the time, was pushing in a better direction but unfortunately the balance update cadence required to accommodate such a shift hasn't been met and the incremental changes have barely had any actual impact. Which was another thing I held out final judgment on until it happened. I did personally allow for additional time due to the situation with the pandemic, however that time went and I honestly told a few people I had been discussing things with on Discord to just "have at it".

So I wouldn't say I ever had any faith, or hope, just a willingness to allow them to prove me, and others, wrong. ANet gets given the opportunity, I have no expectations either way. Its why I barely play these days, the few times I've logged in and done WvW, with a little bit of sPvP, I don't bother with Ranked because that is an inherent trash heap, and WvW roaming and the cheese nonsense that exists hasn't really changed. WvW as a mode hasn't changed. ANet has needed to do more for years and they haven't. Which, by the way that whole "New Player Guide" thing they have just recently put up...its a webpage...why isn't it something they put into the game considering how atrocious the "New player experience" is at actually explaining or teaching players anything? Especially so with sPvP and WvW. All of that "info" is on a bunch of webpages or the wiki...thats not helpful put it in the game, thats where they will 100% see it. Even BDO does better at it...even when you get your awakening weapon for your class (other weapon set) it literally requires you to do quests to teach you some of the combos and some possible ones for swapping between your pre-awakening weapons and awakening weapon. GW2 has an optional "how to dodge" thing shown on the map that I highly doubt gets used very often. Seriously, I don't get ANet.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

the best
frequently

Boons

mesmer can rip twice or thrice the boons necro can, and they are not run and will not be run.the reason necro is good is due to the fact that they rip/corrupt WHILE being tanky as fuck WHILE having crap ton of aoe, WHILE hitting through walls so they can provide value even when pressured into kiting or against people that are pressured into kiting.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

the best
frequently

Boons

mesmer can rip twice or thrice the boons necro can, and they are not run and will not be run.the reason necro is good is due to the fact that they rip/corrupt WHILE being tanky as kitten WHILE having kitten ton of aoe, WHILE hitting through walls so they can provide value even when pressured into kiting or against people that are pressured into kiting.

Well, yes, I didn't clarify it specifically in this post, but yes its because of the combination of them being so much more tanky and its much more AoE based. So you're entirely right on that.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Can we have pvp content like 1 vs 1 arena without capturing stupid points or just the good old days 4 vs 4 like GW1 without the capture points (yes I know I’m repeating myself but I really hate capturing points!!). I’m really tired of running around capturing points and totally miss out the pvp a lot of time.

Like literally the team can beat the other team in team fight but because we don’t have people capturing points fast enough we still lose.. like who on earth thought of this horrific idea?? Please give me one map in pvp that’s just pure pvp without capturing some points. Come on GW2 you can do better than this!

Class design does not function in GW2 for a game mode like this unless it's a tiny little arena like 2v2/3v3 and then class design STILL doesn't function because it just makes thief/mesmer/ranger(?) useless.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Can we have pvp content like 1 vs 1 arena without capturing stupid points or just the good old days 4 vs 4 like GW1 without the capture points (yes I know I’m repeating myself but I really hate capturing points!!). I’m really tired of running around capturing points and totally miss out the pvp a lot of time.

Class design does not function in GW2 for a game mode like this unless it's a tiny little arena like 2v2/3v3 and then class design STILL doesn't function because it just makes thief/mesmer/ranger(?) useless.

How are they useless 1 vs 1? Or death match?? Do you play those classes?

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

Classes were designed to be unique. Even though in theory everyone can do everyting, there are things class A does better than class B. A thief will never be as good as a healer as a firebrand, but will outrun it in every scenario.

Some classes are best at quick roaming, and sidenode duels. Their AoE cleave, overall damage and support is lower to balance out their enchanced mobility/survivability. If you want to play thief/mesmer/ranger/warrior effectively, you avoid getting into teamfights as much as possible. When the efficiency of half of the classes depend on conquest not devolving into TDM, it might be a bad idea to have TDM as a serious gamemode wouldn't you agree?

With current class design, conquest is pretty much the only sPvP gamemode possible. 2v2 and 3v3 are fun distractions at best.

Why on earth would you want TDM over Conquest?

Conquest opens up so many more strategies, builds, play-styles, that would be useless in TDM. Conquest is much more about decision-making, you have so many more choices to make; should I go help my ally on close who's struggling to win their 1v1, should I even up numbers in teamfight on mid, or should I push far? Should we push for teamfight or should we try and split them on sides? Should I take a 1v1 I probably can't win if it'll buy my team time elsewhere? The team that wins is the one that makes the best decisions, not just the one that presses their buttons the fastest.

TDM would also be much more about team-composition than skill. Some compositions just straight-up hard-counter other compositions. In Conquest you can work around that and still win if you play smart, but in TDM you'd just have to give up.

This is magnified even more in 1v1, where certain builds just straight-up hard-counter other builds. Ranger WILL beat necro 1v1. Thief WILL beat mesmer 1v1, unless the mesmer heavily out-plays the thief. But luckily in conquest a mesmer can do stuff other than repeatedly fail at 1v1ing a thief, instead they can go and hunt other players on the enemy team that are weak to mesmer.

Would you really want to queue up for a 1v1 mode as a necro, only to find you've been matched against a ranger?

From my experience isnt that what players in ranked do already? If u try and solo q in ranked ull pretty much see players leave a node quarter capped, never go for bonuses or will group up to cap a uncontested node. THESE are a large margin of the players u get teamed with and why ranked ranks mean absolutely nothing as far as a players skill level. Even sindrener would have zero hope reaching plat solo q and would prob rage so hard if he tried. This games pvp cant be taken seriously not that it really ever was but definitely not these days lol

@Ragnar.4257 said:Why on earth would you want TDM over Conquest?

Conquest opens up so many more strategies, builds, play-styles, that would be useless in TDM. Conquest is much more about decision-making, you have so many more choices to make; should I go help my ally on close who's struggling to win their 1v1, should I even up numbers in teamfight on mid, or should I push far? Should we push for teamfight or should we try and split them on sides? Should I take a 1v1 I probably can't win if it'll buy my team time elsewhere? The team that wins is the one that makes the best decisions, not just the one that presses their buttons the fastest.

TDM would also be much more about team-composition than skill. Some compositions just straight-up hard-counter other compositions. In Conquest you can work around that and still win if you play smart, but in TDM you'd just have to give up.

This is magnified even more in 1v1, where certain builds just straight-up hard-counter other builds. Ranger WILL beat necro 1v1. Thief WILL beat mesmer 1v1, unless the mesmer heavily out-plays the thief. But luckily in conquest a mesmer can do stuff other than repeatedly fail at 1v1ing a thief, instead they can go and hunt other players on the enemy team that are weak to mesmer.

Would you really want to queue up for a 1v1 mode as a necro, only to find you've been matched against a ranger?

Why would you against the idea of having variety? I'm simply asking for a map that allows death match because I'm really tired of running around trying capture something. We get bunch of conquest already and if you love it so much you already got what you wish for. Don't be selfish when someone else wish for something they like ;)

As for 1 vs1 I think you just need to know your class better. I beat thief all the time with mesmer in fact I was 1 vs 2 thieves and still killed them lol. So please don't jump into conclusion of counter play. It all really come down to how good are you with a class, you can play a class thinking it's counter class against whatever but if you suck you're still gonna lose.Also I main necro I never got beaten by ranger... so not sure what build you're running or talking about lol...

@Bazsi.2734 said:

Classes were designed to be unique. Even though in theory everyone can do everyting, there are things class A does better than class B. A thief will never be as good as a healer as a firebrand, but will outrun it in every scenario.

Some classes are best at quick roaming, and sidenode duels. Their AoE cleave, overall damage and support is lower to balance out their enchanced mobility/survivability. If you want to play thief/mesmer/ranger/warrior effectively, you avoid getting into teamfights as much as possible. When the efficiency of half of the classes depend on conquest not devolving into TDM, it might be a bad idea to have TDM as a serious gamemode wouldn't you agree?

With current class design, conquest is pretty much the only sPvP gamemode possible. 2v2 and 3v3 are fun distractions at best.

Have you ever tried 1vs1 mode? If not how would you know it wouldn't work? and why does pvp must have roaming?? you can roam all you want at wvw nobody is stopping you there. All I'm asking is a mode for straight up pvp and not run around is that so hard for you to understand? Don't tell me thief/mesmer/ranger/warrio cannot straight up pvp they can only roam lol! also I can't tell you how many times I see thief/mesmer/ranger/warrior <-- the classes listed above carry their team in team fight. who says pvp must be aoe cleaving or healer firebrand?? bursting a huge amount of damage on focus fire is another strategy too. OMG you never seen pvp people call target and focus fire??? class like deadeye or berserker mesmer and soulbeast excel in taking out low toughness target in a combo (sorry I didn't mention warrior because I don't play that class but I did get killed by some godly warrior quite a few times in teamfight in fact that warrior was so good it tanked all our damaged and killed us one by one). So HOW on earth are they bad at teamfights?????????? This is crazy assumption I can't believe I have to answer to this. What rank are you anyways??