Professions and their Roles

Vinny.7260

Surely I'm not the only one to notice this, but balance has actually been pretty good so far. Some classes are preferred in terms of meta but others can effectively serve a purpose and certain classes compete for the same roles.

Example:LR Sword/Focus Weaver vs Sword/Sword Staff Power Herald.

• Both have heavy burst potential
  • Both are susceptible to conditions
  • Both have a 'form' of invulnerability. (Counting Herald's Heal.)
  • Both can roam around the map quickly
  • Both have heavy cleaving on downed targets

Surely people aren't just whining about their classes without noticing that classes are slowly settling down again like they did Pre-PoF.

@felix.2386 said:the role of warrior is to be irrelevant in pvpthe whole class except full counter and main hand dagger is only made to hit AIs

Wrong. Warrior's purpose is to sidenode, although just like others, there is another class that can do it better in this current meta such as Ranger or even Guardian.

Warrior is definitely in a rough spot compared to how it used to be but things are slowly falling down to its current level.

@kybraga.7103 said:

@felix.2386 said:the role of warrior is to be irrelevant in pvpthe whole class except full counter and main hand dagger is only made to hit AIs

Wrong. Warrior's purpose is to sidenode, although just like others, there is another class that can do it better in this current meta such as Ranger or even Guardian.

Warrior is definitely in a rough spot compared to how it used to be but things are slowly falling down to its current level.

You realize warrior being forced as side node is because all it's skills except full counter and dagger is made to hit AIs right?side node forces people to fight in the small circle so warrior finally able to hit something.when it's 2v2 and 3v3 without small circle but a bigger map, warrior becomes completely irrelevant and even more trash then conquest. even tho 2v2 and 3v3 maps not even that big.and side noder literally is the eaisest role to fill in the entire PvP roster, that's why all warrior mains competed in ESL were multi classers and only played when it is OP and beat everybody else on side node.

@felix.2386 said:

You realize warrior being forced as side node is because all it's skills except full counter and dagger is made to hit AIs right?side node forces people to fight in the small circle so warrior finally able to hit something.when it's 2v2 and 3v3 without small circle but a bigger map, warrior becomes completely irrelevant and even more trash then conquest. even tho 2v2 and 3v3 maps not even that big.and side noder literally is the eaisest role to fill in the entire PvP roster, that's why all warrior mains competed in ESL were multi classers and only played when it is OP and beat everybody else on side node.

Axe/Shield and GS are perfectly capable of working in a competitive environment via Strength/Tactics/Discipline- yeah the Axe 3 wiffs often due to poor projectile physics and Rush has a rusty tracking script but most TOP end Warriors are able to bully people even with those weaknesses. Similar to how Weavers can use Twist of Fate (75s CD for a 1s Superspeed/3-4th evade/stun break and still dominate people.

I don't know about 2v2s and 3v3s there. Spellbreaker as a Support was actually really strong in those. The barrier application, cleansing, might, and various things like Elite Banner gave it a strong role in stomping/ressing allies as well.

5v5s though, yeah Warrior is stuck filling a role that can be filled by most specializations, but it does it well and owns it if the player is competent, there is a skill gap with Warrior in that regard at the moment. Sidenoding is kind of a preference thing in that regard but Warrior is capable of it pretty well. You don't put a Thief on side-node duty because it has to stealth often/is too squishy to take a hit or two without being punished heavily.

Keep in mind what I said originally, balance has been pretty good so far, I didn't say it was perfect nor did I say it was flawless. It still needs work but people can absolutely manage a competitive environment in these current times.

@kybraga.7103 said:

Axe/Shield and GS are perfectly capable of working in a competitive environment via Strength/Tactics/Discipline- yeah the Axe 3 wiffs often due to poor projectile physics and Rush has a rusty tracking script but most TOP end Warriors are able to bully people even with those weaknesses. Similar to how Weavers can use Twist of Fate (75s CD for a 1s Superspeed/3-4th evade/stun break and still dominate people.

I don't know about 2v2s and 3v3s there. Spellbreaker as a Support was actually really strong in those. The barrier application, cleansing, might, and various things like Elite Banner gave it a strong role in stomping/ressing allies as well.

5v5s though, yeah Warrior is stuck filling a role that can be filled by most specializations, but it does it well and owns it if the player is competent, there is a skill gap with Warrior in that regard at the moment. Sidenoding is kind of a preference thing in that regard but Warrior is capable of it pretty well. You don't put a Thief on side-node duty because it has to stealth often/is too squishy to take a hit or two without being punished heavily.

Keep in mind what I said originally, balance is been pretty good so far, I didn't say it was perfect nor did I say it was flawless. It still needs work but people can absolutely manage a competitive environment in these current times.

LOL core tactic is a joke, it is only semi working in ranked, If you actually want to compete with top players, you will get trained down in seconds in organized play.i don't blame you you probably never touched any organized matches.really tho, even if you just do ranked as long as you compete in top 100, you should realize spellbreaker it is the only thing that has a chance to be meta solely because full counter, at the current stat of the game.

healbreaker is played in 2v2 and 3v3 because warrior can't hit a thing without small circles LOL, specially core tactic, in 2v2, it is completely ignore-able, i've won every single 2v2 against core tactic by completely ignoring it.solely being kinda hard to kill by yourself doesnt make you desirable in team games.

@felix.2386 said:

side noder means the class can win any 1v1 without doing anything, a.k.a op

@felix.2386 said:

Keep in mind what I said originally, balance is been pretty good so far, I didn't say it was perfect nor did I say it was flawless. It still needs work but people can absolutely manage a competitive environment in these current times.

LOL core tactic is a joke, it is only semi working in ranked, If you actually want to compete with top players, you will get trained down in seconds in organized play.i don't blame you you probably never touched any organized matches.really tho, even if you just do ranked as long as you compete in top 100, you should realize spellbreaker it is the only thing that has a chance to be meta solely because full counter, at the current stat of the game.

healbreaker is played in 2v2 and 3v3 because warrior can't hit a thing without small circles LOL, specially core tactic, in 2v2, it is completely ignore-able, i've won every single 2v2 against core tactic by completely ignoring it.solely being kinda hard to kill by yourself doesnt make you desirable in team games.

I don't think trying to attack someone is a valid way to argue- and frankly immature, but let's carry on anyway.

Organized play would mean your team is aware of you being focused as a Warrior, thus your team could compensate with a Holosmith sitting aside between Mid/Home or Mid/Far to accommodate that focusing. Similar to how Tempests can try to body block/Tornado to bring focus off of, say, a Reaper. There could be more put on this since Organized play is significantly different in terms of mindsets and playstyles since everyone's role is actually important instead of rolling dice in Un/Ranked.

Core Tactics/Strength/Discipline is mandatory at the moment since Defense is dependent on building Adrenaline, which is lack luster due to the dependance on Rampage. Additionally, Defense lost its main perks which were Stances, Last Stand and Defy Pain now having a 300(240)cd kinda killed that line.

Strength Spellbreaker lost its edge due to Magebane's losing that 3 might per second, instead now being 1 might a second. On top of that, they got their MMR regeneration cut in half, or just about. Defense Spellbreaker is currently stronger for Rousing Resilience or Cleansing Ire and overall sustain increases with the passive healing from FC landing or landing Dagger F1/GS F1 being much more profitable.

Both Core Warrior and Spellbreaker serve a similar purpose ATM, which I do think is a bit of a problem, but they both are good for different situations.

As for 2v2s/3v3s, Support Spellbreaker is what is used commonly not Core Tactics for the exact reason you mentioned. Support Spellbreaker is able to irritate/boon rip on top of previous things mentioned. The Spellbreakers you must've seen were clearly not doing their job properly and using them as a sample group is in my mind an outlier... Then again, most good players in general ARE the outlier.

Point is, Warrior is definitely substitutable with other classes, and other classes can be substituted with Warrior. Moving on.

Warrior is trash there is no way to play it on the sidenode instead of Ranger/Holo/Scrapper/Herald/Renegade/core rev/Guard/FB/DH

Warrior isnt good but the players who chose the handicap of playing itare what is good and these same players would not pick it outside meme value in ranked queue.

LR Weaver even if it has cancerous design around cc spam cannot replace power herald as a roamer or teamfighter.

the obvious better choices are obvious. what you choose is not a substitute but a downgrade

the game isnt better off with the mega balance patch earlier this year

lol rev staff 5so much for fluid gameplay

while trying to balance this mess maybe the devs should try not to forget what was gw2's edge over other games; diverse, fluid and fun combat.

@kybraga.7103 said:Surely I'm not the only one to notice this, but balance has actually been pretty good so far. Some classes are preferred in terms of meta but others can effectively serve a purpose and certain classes compete for the same roles.

Surely people aren't just whining about their classes without noticing that classes are slowly settling down again like they did Pre-PoF.

Dude don't take this personally or anything, but coming from a player who has been playing since year 1, I'd honestly say that right now in this current patching, we are experiencing the actual worst overall intra-class balance and class interactive dynamic that this game has ever seen.

We've had strange broken outliers in previous patchings sure, such as Chronobunker in S1. But everything else around that broken outlier was at least somewhat balanced and the interactive dynamic between classes felt good. This current patching however, is a tragedy. There are so many things wrong with what's going on right now that I'm not going to take the time to list it all. The game simply feels bad to play right now, balance wise, mechanically, the interactive dynamic between classes/builds.

Arenanet needs to change w/e this model is that they have where they just shake things up to keep it new. <- The time is over for that bullshit is over. We need actual balance now and solidity of a good interactive dynamic. Going into year 9, it's time

@kybraga.7103 said:Surely I'm not the only one to notice this, but balance has actually been pretty good so far. Some classes are preferred in terms of meta but others can effectively serve a purpose and certain classes compete for the same roles.

One has infuse light, staff invuls, heavy armor,nearly 18k base hp(herald minor trait), and very high prot uptime while the other has 11k hp and light armor.What does this mean? It means that Weaver needs to run marauder amulet to make up for it's base HP, while power rev can run berserker amulet instead due to having more base HP and armor. This means power rev gets +25% damage from amulet over the weaver essentially for free.

For this to be balanced, weaver would need to do a LOT more burst and dps than power herald - it doesn't.Your post actually explains why balance is bad.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

One has infuse light, staff invuls, heavy armor,nearly 18k base hp(herald minor trait), and very high prot uptime while the other has 11k hp and light armor.What does this mean? It means that Weaver needs to run marauder amulet to make up for it's base HP, while power rev can run berserker amulet instead due to having more base HP and armor. This means power rev gets +25% damage from amulet over the weaver essentially for free.

For this to be balanced, weaver would need to do a LOT more burst and dps than power herald - it doesn't.Your post actually explains why balance is bad.

Berserker is better than Mara on Weaver :)

@felix.2386 said:

Warrior isnt forced to sidenoder , warrior was made as a sidenoder , there is some sidenoders better on teamfight or at 2v2 than orhers , warr was very good when +1 and not that bad at teamfights .

@Shiyo.3578 said:

Weaver isnt a teamfigher at first instance , weaver is a sidenoder wich can do decent at teamfight . Power revenant isnt a sidenoder so both roles are not rly comparable

@Oslaf Beinir.5842 said:Warrior is trash there is no way to play it on the sidenode instead of Ranger/Holo/Scrapper/Herald/Renegade/core rev/Guard/FB/DH

Warrior isnt good but the players who chose the handicap of playing itare what is good and these same players would not pick it outside meme value in ranked queue.

LR Weaver even if it has cancerous design around cc spam cannot replace power herald as a roamer or teamfighter.

the obvious better choices are obvious. what you choose is not a substitute but a downgrade

the game isnt better off with the mega balance patch earlier this year

lol rev staff 5so much for fluid gameplay

while trying to balance this mess maybe the devs should try not to forget what was gw2's edge over other games; diverse, fluid and fun combat.

Lr weaver cant replace power rev as a teamfighter or roamer cuz power rev is purely inside this both roles , lr weaver is a sidenoder wich can do decent as a teamfighter or roamer but lacks like warrior on fighting other meta sidenoders on node while being vulnerable to +1

@wevh.2903 said:

Weaver isnt a teamfigher at first instance , weaver is a sidenoder wich can do decent at teamfight . Power revenant isnt a sidenoder so both roles are not rly comparable

Weaver isn't anything, it isn't played in AT's or ranked except by the few elementalist mains.

@Grimjack.8130 said:

That just means Elementalist is even worse off, as it has to run around with ~13k hp(divinity runes?) while rev gets resistance runes, nearly 18k hp, and heavy armor. Not sure the point of your post besides backing up what I'm saying that Elementalist is not good.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

Weaver isn't anything, it isn't played in AT's or ranked except by the few elementalist mains.

That just means Elementalist is even worse off, as it has to run around with ~13k hp(divinity runes?) while rev gets resistance runes, nearly 18k hp, and heavy armor. Not sure the point of your post besides backing up what I'm saying that Elementalist is not good.

Weaver doesn't need Marauder, unless you're REALLY wanting to overcap your critical chance from having an extra 3s of Weakness. Master's Fortitude + Divinity + Berserker gives you about 17k- almost 18k. On top of swapping to Earth on occasion, you're going to hit just about 19k.

Yeah, Weaver won't be able to get benefits from Resistance Runes, but realistically you don't need 4s of Resistance since we're complained about having so many evade frames. :wink:

If you're going Dagger/Focus I could possibly see your point with Marauder but even then, your purpose of going Dagger instead of Sword is to be AoE control instead of a single-target take-down kinda setup so losing damage and going more sustain is reasonable.

There are other things I could nitpick as someone who has played since 2012 as Elementalist but it's not quite fair to do something like that.

Personally, I find Berserker more profitable even with a small health pool but it's a preference/ability thing.

@Khalisto.5780 said:

Ive been listening more and more about healbreakers, it might get popular a few weeks from now

Just run what Vaans runs. He's got the right idea for Spellbreaker in this current patching.

I just like that core builds are semi viable to viable in unranked now. The meta might not be that balanced, but for average play i feel like the current state of the game is better.

Also, professions being better at certain roles has always been a thing. Anet has mostly stayed true to the design philosophy of each profession with some variations in specializations.

For the average player pvp is better, but might be lacking for competitive playing, which I think encourages more people to play pvp and helps f2p players enjoy it as well.

@Khalisto.5780 said:

Ive been listening more and more about healbreakers, it might get popular a few weeks from now

you know i've see people say the exact same sentence since march.healbreaker is just played more now as nothing else warrior does anything

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Just run what Vaans runs. He's got the right idea for Spellbreaker in this current patching.

vaans runs defense bunker that's boring, unskillful, does 0 damage and gives 0 support to the team and only works when tricking people thinking it's squishy warrior build. you may as well just run healbreaker.it's like ventari glint bunker but only completely selfish, that's not "got the right idea"

if you want to play gs warrior, strength is still the best build that require skill, fun and can actually carry team in ranked if you actually outskill your opponent by a lot.