Why are Anniversary Dyes always account bound?

I have only two locked Dyes left, and neither is icluded in any of the Birthday Dye Kits.

So, I could basically get a dye as expensive as the Godless Dye (1,500 Gold) out of these kits, but I can't sell it. What a waste to destroy it, but that is the only thing left to do.

Why do these dye kits have to be account bound again? :/

It would crash the market. 10k players all picking a 1500 g dye and then filling buy orders on some poor sap then he gets the dye and sees the price is now 50g. You run into these problems because you have everything unlocked. Others are happy to unlock expensive dyes as a reward for playing

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Jilora.9524" said:It would crash the market.

Well, I'd rather sell it for "just" 100g then than have to destroy it, to be honest. :/

Yeah, me too. I don't really care about dyes so any free gold would be great. I'm actually surprised they do this seeing how many would gamble on dye kits to get these dyes so it decreases anets income. I mean I have 30 characters and most these celebration dye kits sitting in my bank because I'm too lazy to look up the values and pick the most expensive ones. But if they were sellable and anet gave a warning so everyone could pull their buy orders then ok. Otherwise the first to log in would make a fortune filling these crazy buy orders.

Because people who have unlocked every single dye are the minority and the birthday dyes not being account-bound would destroy the dye economy and also all but guarantee people wouldn't buy most dye kits in the gem store—why spend 125-2500 gems at a shot at something when you could buy it for 1-50 gold and get exactly what you want?

Dyes being in birthday kits does lower their price overtime (e.g. Permafrost, Shadow Abyss, Blacklight, etc.) due to them becoming slowly more available and reducing the demand for them while not crashing the market. Not everyone can make use of birthday items and instead of wanting to crash the dye market it would be more feasible to ask for/suggest an alternative for people who have all dyes unlocked, especially as with more and more time going on, more and more people will have unlocked most/all dyes of earlier years, such as getting an option of your birthday dye kit to the gem store RNG one of the same name so you can gamble on what dye you get and being able to sell that on the TP.

They should remain account bound.

The only thing that bothers me is the ones you can't salvage. They should make sure the account bound dyes can be salvaged, so once you have all the dyes in a birthday pack, you can at least get some pigments out of it.

That or make the "Birthday Vendor" NPC exchange those packs for something else once you have all the dyes in them, like a jug of karma. Same for other 'extras' like extra Mini Jennahs, they could be exchanged for a bit of karma once the mini has been unlocked, so they are at least 'something'.

I don't really think making gold simply because the character gets older is right. The birthday presents are supposed to make you rich, they're supposed to make you happy. I'm sorry that the dye doesn't work for you, but judging by my own reaction and the reactions of my guildies I'd say it works for most players. That's the best they can ever do when trying to make players happy. Most.

@Jilora.9524 said:It would crash the market.

It wouldn't crash the market.

Those few who would get an uberexpensive dye to put on the trading post aren't guaranteed to get the gold they ask for. You need a second person willing to give up that ~1500g to complete the transaction.

The value will only drop if people are willing to part with their expensive items for less than everyone who has posted theirs prior.

Then if the monetary value were to drop due to supply going up, that's what happens in the real world as well.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:It would crash the market.

It wouldn't crash the market.

Those few who would get an uberexpensive dye to put on the trading post aren't guaranteed to get the gold they ask for. You need a second person willing to give up that ~1500g to complete the transaction.

The value will only drop if people are willing to part with their expensive items for less than everyone who has posted theirs prior.

Then if the monetary value were to drop due to supply going up, that's what happens in the real world as well.

What? Those few become everyone who's has an account hitting b-days as you get these dyes you can select that are worth 100-1500g but we just unlock them and can't sell them. So if they weren't account bound then every one of us who gets a B-day gift and B-day gifts are per character so I get 30 a year and can pick 30 of the same dye if I want if they become sellable. So I fill buy order of 1300g 1100g 700g and all the way down to 50g because who cares right it's free gold to me cause I don't care about dyes. Then multiple me by 10,000 other players getting these free sellable dyes and you explain how that wouldn't crash the market.

@"Jilora.9524" said:explain how that wouldn't crash the market.

Very soon after "everyone" had those expensive dyes and tried to sell them at 500g-1500g without success (because everyone else has the same dye) the price would lower dramatically.You may have a dozen dyes for sale today going for 1500g because they are ultra-rare, but when they are no longer ultra-rare the the value will decline.

Place 10,000 items in a game with 11M players and that thing may have a value of a few thousand gold.Place 1M of the same items in the pool of players and it's easier for everyone to have one and the value may only be a few hundred gold.

You start with a small number of rare dyes for sale and the price is high, but when you add more into the system (because it's a b-day gift) the price drops.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

@"Jilora.9524" said:explain how that wouldn't crash the market.

Very soon after "everyone" had those expensive dyes and tried to sell them at 500g-1500g without success (because everyone else has the same dye) the price would lower dramatically.You may have a dozen dyes for sale today going for 1500g because they are ultra-rare, but when they are no longer ultra-rare the the value will decline.

Place 10,000 items in a game with 11M players and that thing may have a value of a few thousand gold.Place 1M of the same items in the pool of players and it's easier for everyone to have one and the value may only be a few hundred gold.

You start with a small number of rare dyes for sale and the price is high, but when you add more into the system (because it's a b-day gift) the price drops.

Ok you just argued that the market would crash after your 1st comment saying the market wouldn't. I wouldn't list any. I would sell to already placed buy orders to any left at any decent amount and crash the market. TY for agreeing

I do not care about collecting dyes. I would much rather sell it. I have like 10 unopened gift dyes, because I doubt I will use the dyes, cannot sell the dyes, so no reason to go through the hassle of selecting which dye. I just dump them in the bank. Please make them sellable. B)

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:explain how that wouldn't crash the market.

Ok you just argued that the market would crash after your 1st comment saying the market wouldn't. I wouldn't list any. I would sell to already placed buy orders to any left at any decent amount and crash the market. TY for agreeing

OK, I thought you were talking about the MARKET as a whole, not the market for specific items of high value. I had to reread our threads.You're right it would tank the prices of specific items the more you have available.The only change to the MARKET as a larger entity would be people having more gold to spend on high end QoL items that were out of their reach before.

Godless Dyehttps://www.gw2tp.com/item/91617-godless-dye

Literally went from 1,500 gold to 35 gold on the TP. That's with "only" account bound birthday dyes. Doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out what would happen if the dyes were trade able. (in this specific case, who ever cornered the market here got wrecked by having this dye added in the bday gift. Same person is probably unloading hist stock currently given the increase in market supply).

For all of you "assuming" you'd rather get a few gold than nothing. Assume again, you obviously have no idea where those dyes would end up. Hint: take a look where all the other common dyes are at, pretty much worthless.

Having the dyes account bound achieves a good middle ground between increasing supply into the game, without having this supply add into the games market supply. It affects only the market demand side of the equation, thus reducing the cost on the TP, but not also affecting the market supply side. As a result, not completely tanking the market and keeping the dye economy somewhat in tact.