Underwater Combat

AikijinX.6258

Let's talk about it

Can we get Underwater Finisher skills? Since you know.. Finishers are still going to be a thing and never taken out of this game. It takes too long to finish off people underwater, Like a ranger whos pet ress's them even if you kill the pet.

And another Underwater (UW) topic: Which class in your opinion is top of the food chain underwater?

My Opinion: Spear Thief (Only Spear Thief not Harpoon Thief), is unmatched underwater.

Spear Thief has literally everything you can want in a weapons set. Blocks, Stealth, 2 Evasion Skills, a Pull/CC.

• (Flanking Dive)- The amount of Damage it does compared to how much it cost to use, is incredible, it can also be used as an ability to chase down your foe, or swim away from your foe quickly (When you have something targeted)

• (Tow Line)- The change to this skill was very much welcomed. This skill along with flanking dive are the 2 best skills I utilize when in water. The Pull number 1 is amazing, The stealth after-incredible, and the Stealth flip skill (It's honestly meh), but I just use the auto-attack stealth attack instead, and then flanking dive.

• (Shadow Assault)- Is a good skill when getting pew pew'd above water, or when you are outnumbered in the water, but the initiative it uses is too much, Flanking dive is much better for less.

• (Nine Tailed Strike)- This block is crazy. I don't use it as much, because of the cost, but the damage is immense.

TL;DR- Need Underwater Finishing Skill, and Spear Thief Unmatched (Change my mind)

EDIT- 8/26/20- In terms of movement speed. Do you guys feel as though the swim speed infusions do nothing for increasing speed? I feel as though I still swim just as slow as I did without the infusion. I have a +21 swim infusion and I still feel slow underwater.

Its clear by now Anet is planning to place water regions in the Cantha expansion, and the new mount ability is only the beginning. Players have already been driving the price up of underwater precursors in preparation for this change.

In terms of underwater combat there definitely needs to be a class wide adjustment. Some weapons are completely useless underwater, such as the necromancer power weapon, the spear, with its pathetic range, damage and utility. Others dominate, as listed above.

I am frustrated by the Anet balance plan though. Power creep by dev mistake is nearly unavoidable.

I hope one day Anet will move from class bound weapons to some sort of multiclass scheme were each class can access the others weapon skills. Then it would be far easier to balance OP abilities from not, as players would naturally gravitate to those, and weapons like the Necromancer spear wouldn't exist.

@Apokriphos.7042 said:Its clear by now Anet is planning to place water regions in the Cantha expansion, and the new mount ability is only the beginning. Players have already been driving the price up of underwater precursors in preparation for this change.

In terms of underwater combat there definitely needs to be a class wide adjustment. Some weapons are completely useless underwater, such as the necromancer power weapon, the spear, with its pathetic range, damage and utility. Others dominate, as listed above.

I am frustrated by the Anet balance plan though. Power creep by dev mistake is nearly unavoidable.

I hope one day Anet will move from class bound weapons to some sort of multiclass scheme were each class can access the others weapon skills. Then it would be far easier to balance OP abilities from not, as players would naturally gravitate to those, and weapons like the Necromancer spear wouldn't exist.

You would want everyone to have access to all weapon skills? Is that what you're saying

@AikijinX.6258 said:

@Apokriphos.7042 said:Its clear by now Anet is planning to place water regions in the Cantha expansion, and the new mount ability is only the beginning. Players have already been driving the price up of underwater precursors in preparation for this change.

You would want everyone to have access to all weapon skills? Is that what you're saying

I think the balance scheme of GW1 with the ability to choose a secondary class was so vastly superior to what we have now, from both a future headache perspective, dev time/outcome, and in variety/difficult to solve meta.

If Gw2 even took a step in this direction it would tremendously improve the build variery in every game mode without necessitating endless balance patches to achieve parity between classes.

The problem with DS in water is they have all the same issues as normal DS, plus you have lower DPS to finish them, no stomping ability AND the downed can move.....WHY?! Remove the ability to move in DS in water and you will solve a good bulk of this. Main reasons are that control and "sticking" to someone is not the best in water, while on land you have much higher DPS and the downed can't move at will.

@"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:The problem with DS in water is they have all the same issues as normal DS, plus you have lower DPS to finish them, no stomping ability AND the downed can move.....WHY?! Remove the ability to move in DS in water and you will solve a good bulk of this. Main reasons are that control and "sticking" to someone is not the best in water, while on land you have much higher DPS and the downed can't move at will.

I personally think that if we had a flurry-like finisher in water, which goes (left-right-left-right) in a flurry of swimming blows that'll be a cool finisher. As well as when we do our downed finishes we lock our target in place. Same concept as locking your ally in place when ressing them while they're either crawling to you or crawling away somewhere.

I to have long wanted more underwater upgrades.

The Skimmer filled a big hole in that which I am loving so far despite it being a pain to obtain due to all the bugs lol

The only thing UW really lacks now is build diversity.We need more usable UW skills and more weapon kits per class to flesh that out more.If we can get that then UW combat will be pretty much perfect and all we'll need then is some cool new content to take advantage of it ^^

I did notice that during the skimmer quest an NPC mentioned that Sibaha seemed to be trying to ride Skimmers from Amnoon to LA over the ocean despite all the dangers.. so I am thinking there might be a chance that we'll be riding our Skimmers over to Cantha or at least part of the way there and there and there might be plans for a map somewhere between Tyria and Cantha that could feature a decent bit of water content.This would be something I would very much like to see personally but it would demand some pretty big upgrades to UW combat first.

@ledernierrempart.6871 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Wait, wait...

Your class actually do enough damage with underwater weapons to down someone underwater? O____O

i personnaly pewpew them from land with my ranger and then ... stay on land to pewpew them when downed. nah in fact ranger harpoon is kinda decent.

Ranger's are one of the best classes underwater. You can thank Mr. Sharp for that.

@Strider.7849 said:

Your class actually do enough damage with underwater weapons to down someone underwater? O____O

i personnaly pewpew them from land with my ranger and then ... stay on land to pewpew them when downed. nah in fact ranger harpoon is kinda decent.

Ranger's are one of the best classes underwater. You can thank Mr. Sharp for that.

i wish i could use underwater pets as a soulbeast.

@ledernierrempart.6871 said:

Maybe I misunderstand because I use it the same way I would on land, you can unmerge and merge with your pet. There are some options even stronger than on land.

Shark and lashtail devourer are two of the best. Shark is melee, high damage, mobility/fear when merged. Lashtail is ferocious (stat benefit when merged), has ranged DPS + long range stun, merged offers you evade, underwater worldly impact.

@Strider.7849 said:

Maybe I misunderstand because I use it the same way I would on land, you can unmerge and merge with your pet. There are some options even stronger than on land.

Shark and lashtail devourer are two of the best. Shark is melee, high damage, mobility/fear when merged. Lashtail is ferocious (stat benefit when merged), has ranged DPS + long range stun, merged offers you evade, underwater worldly impact.

you can't merge with a shark while being on land.