Stealth Being Used to Cover Hacking

Mokk.2397

I'm seeing a lot of thieves recently covering hacks with stealth. Only tonight I rapid fired a thief that stealthed straight inside a wall. When is ANET going to address this rising problem . Or is going to take going to several gaming magazines and reporting the problem you are ignoring to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People are using one of several third party tools that are prohibited. Almost all of them have been in use since launch. Sadly, anet could use tools to prevent it, but it seems they have zero active hack detection tools running. Seems that all the cheaters know it, and use them all the time. I am seeing players of every rank, including 2 that are diamond legend, who will no clip through walls. It is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

@Ubi.4136 said:People are using one of several third party tools that are prohibited. Almost all of them have been in use since launch. Sadly, anet could use tools to prevent it, but it seems they have zero active hack detection tools running. Seems that all the cheaters know it, and use them all the time. I am seeing players of every rank, including 2 that are diamond legend, who will no clip through walls. It is ridiculous.

Key sale is on, was very tempted to throw some cash at it, but after recent hacks in WvW nah, keep the money and logout and head to forum wars till switching to another game. Will buy keys when happy with game, if not that money will be used elsewhere.

• Like 1

@Mokk.2397 said:I'm seeing a lot of thieves recently covering hacks with stealth. Only tonight I rapid fired a thief that stealthed straight inside a wall. When is ANET going to address this rising problem . Or is going to take going to several gaming magazines and reporting the problem you are ignoring to them.

What do you mean stealth straight inside a wall?

As for classes with stealth access, yes, they tend to be more common with the use of port hacks at least, as the escape can be masked. Example being, I was fighting a thief, who used his ports to try and get away, but I was running JI, sword and GS so I kept him in range, and just as he stealths, I use F1 reveal and tag him, revealing him, which he didn't notice as he used port to mouse location and was almost totally out of render range (4,000+ units away) in one port, he went from NW wall at NC to half way down to sentry, and then less than 2 seconds later was showing up as a dot at sentry, by the time I got there he had already capped and WPed right in front of me.

@Ubi.4136 said:People are using one of several third party tools that are prohibited. Almost all of them have been in use since launch. Sadly, anet could use tools to prevent it, but it seems they have zero active hack detection tools running. Seems that all the cheaters know it, and use them all the time. I am seeing players of every rank, including 2 that are diamond legend, who will no clip through walls. It is ridiculous.

Wouldnt suprise as backlash from last time

It's not new, thieves have long used stealth as a method of hiding hacks.. this is one of the reasons I've hated the mechanic in competitive play for so many years.

One of the most common hacks is the movement hack or teleport hack..Thieves can use teleport hacks to essentially give themselves unlimited shadowstep's with no cooldown restriction or initiative cost.. nor do they need to sacrifice any utility slots for mobility skills either.

@Teratus.2859 said:It's not new, thieves have long used stealth as a method of hiding hacks.. this is one of the reasons I've hated the mechanic in competitive play for so many years.

One of the most common hacks is the movement hack or teleport hack..Thieves can use teleport hacks to essentially give themselves unlimited shadowstep's with no cooldown restriction or initiative cost.. nor do they need to sacrifice any utility slots for mobility skills either.

And the warrior and rangers I see tele hacking in wvw? Or insta tele to nodes in pvp that I've seen a guard do on 2 occasions? Neither of those cases involved stealth and literally has nothing to do with stealth as a mechanic. Thanks for proving my statement in my previous post tho. So should we also delete jumping from the game instead of bug fixing areas of the map where players jump glitch to? Maybe all push backs like guard and ranger skill should be deleted as well as some veteran players know where to use them to possibly cause players to be stuck in a wall, instead of oh I donno fix the glitch so u dont get stuck in the wall lol. Removing stealth just results in the very same hackers continuing doing the very same hacks, u think they'd care if they didnt have access to invisibility? Lol seriously. Actually ud maybe start seeing invisibility hacks on top. The only fix is for arnet to actually investigate and enforce real penalties for hackers aside from once every few ur wave ban. This playerbase is crafty, so u realise that stealth hasn't changed in all of these years of ur guys complaining about it due to ur lack of ability to adapt like a lot have and learn to combat it so no ur trying the oh delete stealth on the account that its hiding hackers lmao seriously.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:It's not new, thieves have long used stealth as a method of hiding hacks.. this is one of the reasons I've hated the mechanic in competitive play for so many years.

And the warrior and rangers I see tele hacking in wvw? Or insta tele to nodes in pvp that I've seen a guard do on 2 occasions? Neither of those cases involved stealth and literally has nothing to do with stealth as a mechanic. Thanks for proving my statement in my previous post tho. So should we also delete jumping from the game instead of bug fixing areas of the map where players jump glitch to? Maybe all push backs like guard and ranger skill should be deleted as well as some veteran players know where to use them to possibly cause players to be stuck in a wall, instead of oh I donno fix the glitch so u dont get stuck in the wall lol. Removing stealth just results in the very same hackers continuing doing the very same hacks, u think they'd care if they didnt have access to invisibility? Lol seriously. Actually ud maybe start seeing invisibility hacks on top. The only fix is for arnet to actually investigate and enforce real penalties for hackers aside from once every few ur wave ban. This playerbase is crafty, so u realise that stealth hasn't changed in all of these years of ur guys complaining about it due to ur lack of ability to adapt like a lot have and learn to combat it so no ur trying the oh delete stealth on the account that its hiding hackers lmao seriously.

Absolutely nowhere in my comment did I say "Delete Stealth"Also nowhere in my comment did I say these hacks were exclusively used by Thieves either.

All I said was that thieves use stealth as a way of "hiding" that they are using these hacks, which is true and something a number of players have done for a long time.Most classes don't have access to the kind of Mobility and Stealth that thief does, therefore they can't abuse hacks like this without it being extremely obvious.Thieves can abuse hacks like this by exploiting stealth to hide that they are using them while having access to so much mobility that it's difficult to tell when they are in fact using a hack to move around instead of using initiative or utility skills that they would otherwise have to use to do so thus giving them a pretty big advantage in combat.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:It's not new, thieves have long used stealth as a method of hiding hacks.. this is one of the reasons I've hated the mechanic in competitive play for so many years.

Absolutely nowhere in my comment did I say "Delete Stealth"Also nowhere in my comment did I say these hacks were exclusively used by Thieves either.

All I said was that thieves use stealth as a way of "hiding" that they are using these hacks, which is true and something a number of players have done for a long time.Most classes don't have access to the kind of Mobility and Stealth that thief does, therefore they can't abuse hacks like this without it being extremely obvious.Thieves can abuse hacks like this by exploiting stealth to hide that they are using them while having access to so much mobility that it's difficult to tell when they are in fact using a hack to move around instead of using initiative or utility skills that they would otherwise have to use to do so thus giving them a pretty big advantage in combat.

It's a long known issue thieves have used stealth to hide hacks, been pvping and wvw'ing for 7 yrs now, 1st I've heard of stealth being used to hide hacks as a rampant problem until this post.. U state that's why u hate the stealth mechanic in pvp modes, cuz its rampant use to hide hacking? So when reading ur whole post I'm sry if I got the the point of it wrong being stealth shouldn't exist in competitive modes because players can use it to mask hacking. Just what I took from it I guess.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Absolutely nowhere in my comment did I say "Delete Stealth"
Also nowhere in my comment did I say these hacks were exclusively used by Thieves either.

You said thieves use those hacks, that was pretty clear.

@Teratus.2859 said:It's not new, thieves have long used stealth as a method of hiding hacks..

No one bothers trying to not be obvious with those, squad tags will use them shamelessly. I think your frustration is that you have a hard time with some classes and claiming a whole class is prone to hacking makes you feel better about it.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

It's a long known issue thieves have used stealth to hide hacks, been pvping and wvw'ing for 7 yrs now, 1st I've heard of stealth being used to hide hacks as a rampant problem until this post.. U state that's why u hate the stealth mechanic in pvp modes, cuz its rampant use to hide hacking? So when reading ur whole post I'm sry if I got the the point of it wrong being stealth shouldn't exist in competitive modes because players can use it to mask hacking. Just what I took from it I guess.

It's not a rampant problem but it does happen, the vast majority of players don't use these 3rd party tools but i'd bet money on most thief players that do use them are using stealth to hide that they are using them, and it is pretty easy for them to do that because of how stealth works and how much mobility access the class naturally gets access to.

It's only one reason why I don't like stealth in competitive though, the main reason I don't like it is because it has so few counters.The biggest flaw being Reveal, Reveal literally named to reveal stealthed players and yet a large amount of reveal skills can't even do this because they require a target to activate.. which they cant have if the target is stealthed lol kinda defies the whole point doesn't it.It's also an ability with little access to it as well so some classes have a decent ability to reveal a stealthed player such as Engineer, Revenant and Spellbreaker where as others like Necromancer and Ranger have no way to de-stealth another player and must apply reveal before the player stealth's.. this also comes with a high CD cost as well making them pretty unreliable, specially since Deadeyes can remove reveal as well.

Ironically I actually agree with a lot of thief players about buffing the class because it's damage is so low.Problem is they can't do that with all the mobility and stealth thief has access to because it would make the class too strong.. thus we see so many thieves playing the cheese harasser type playstyle that everyone hates fighting against and is the biggest reason why many people hate stealth in gw2.

I'd rather see thief become a better skill based dueling spec that relies on evades and counters rather than this annoying and cowardly teleporty invisible harasser stuff that is so common these days.If stealth was easier to counter and less useful for thief in competitive we could justify buffing the class and making them something to genuinely fear in fair duels.

@kash.9213 said:

Absolutely nowhere in my comment did I say "Delete Stealth"
Also nowhere in my comment did I say these hacks were exclusively used by Thieves either.

You said thieves use those hacks, that was pretty clear.

Yes I did and yes they do use them.But I never said "All thieves" use them nor did I say "only thieves" use them either.

@Teratus.2859 said:It's not new, thieves have long used stealth as a method of hiding hacks..

No one bothers trying to not be obvious with those, squad tags will use them shamelessly. I think your frustration is that you have a hard time with some classes and claiming a whole class is prone to hacking makes you feel better about it.

Most classes don't have access to the stealth and mobility that thief does though so it would be a lot harder for them to pull it off successfully so it's just not worth the effort trying.And again, I am not nor did I ever claim that every thief player in competitive was hacking!

Thief isn't even the class I have the most trouble with anyway, they're just the most annoying to fight mechanically, Once I successfully reveal them they usually die pretty quickly or run away.Atm the hardest class for me to deal with is Revenant, I don't know that class very well and there is currently a lot of really strong Revs in WvW that are using a very strong and tanky build that is difficult to put down.

@Teratus.2859 said:

It's not a rampant problem but it does happen, the vast majority of players don't use these 3rd party tools but i'd bet money on most thief players that do use them are using stealth to hide that they are using them, and it is pretty easy for them to do that because of how stealth works and how much mobility access the class naturally gets access to.

It's only one reason why I don't like stealth in competitive though, the main reason I don't like it is because it has so few counters.The biggest flaw being Reveal, Reveal literally named to reveal stealthed players and yet a large amount of reveal skills can't even do this because they require a target to activate.. which they cant have if the target is stealthed lol kinda defies the whole point doesn't it.It's also an ability with little access to it as well so some classes have a decent ability to reveal a stealthed player such as Engineer, Revenant and Spellbreaker where as others like Necromancer and Ranger have no way to de-stealth another player and must apply reveal before the player stealth's.. this also comes with a high CD cost as well making them pretty unreliable, specially since Deadeyes can remove reveal as well.

Ironically I actually agree with a lot of thief players about buffing the class because it's damage is so low.Problem is they can't do that with all the mobility and stealth thief has access to because it would make the class too strong.. thus we see so many thieves playing the cheese harasser type playstyle that everyone hates fighting against and is the biggest reason why many people hate stealth in gw2.

I'd rather see thief become a better skill based dueling spec that relies on evades and counters rather than this annoying and cowardly teleporty invisible harasser stuff that is so common these days.If stealth was easier to counter and less useful for thief in competitive we could justify buffing the class and making them something to genuinely fear in fair duels.

Sic em works for stealth, dh's spear works well, and on top half the classes have stealth themselves. These days I'd say stealth actually have a lot of counters through reveal, blocks,invulnerability skills etc as well as ways just through map awareness and playstyle. Yeah I've played thief the most in the last 7 years but I've also played crap ton of war,ranger,rev,guard,necro as well and thief is at least for me one of the least worrisome classes that I've had to deal with over the yrs, except DE in WVW, a good DE is absolutely infuriating to fight for my if I'm not on thief or ranger myself and even them I've had some outplay me so hard on DE and made it seem like I had 0 chance 0. I usually sit at gold 3 when I actually played often as a solo q only player so I'm no pro and I can deal with most thieves other players should definitely be able to as well.

Bottom line is people will use hacks regardless of whether stealth existed in the game and removing stealth obviously wont cause a decline in hacking but yes it stands to reason do to what stealth does it's a mechanic that would be useful to help hide some hacks, that said the solution isnt to alter stealth but to properly police and punish hackers.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Sic em works for stealth, she's spear works well, and on top half the classes have stealth themselves. These days I'd say stealth actually have a lot of counters through reveal, blocks,invulnerability skills etc as well as ways just through map awareness and playstyle. Yeah I've played thief the most in the last 7 years but I've also played kitten ton of war,ranger,rev,guard,necro as well and thief is at least for me one of the least worrisome classes that I've had to deal with over the yrs, except DE in WVW, a good DE is absolutely infuriating to fight for my if I'm not on thief or ranger myself and even them I've had some outplay me so hard on DE and made it seem like I had 0 chance 0. I usually sit at gold 3 when I actually played often as a solo q only player so I'm no pro and I can deal with most thieves other players should definitely be able to as well.

Sic Em does but it can only be applied before a player stealths so it's useless against a player that is already invisible, and deadeyes can weaste it too by removing it which sucks so bad when it happens XDI do use it quite often but it's not always on hand since it's pretty much a thief only counter skill for me and most other times there are more useful skills to have on my bar so there are times I get stuck in an ambush without Sic Em >.< this is annoying but i've won my fair share of these scenarios as well as lost a few.

I agree with you on Deadeyes being infuriating at times ha! i've had some bad times with those guys.At least thieves and daredevils get in close and give you some opening to counter but deadeyes will just stealth and teleport about the place and pew pew pew you to death from range.. really annoying XD

@Teratus.2859 said:

Sic em works for stealth, she's spear works well, and on top half the classes have stealth themselves. These days I'd say stealth actually have a lot of counters through reveal, blocks,invulnerability skills etc as well as ways just through map awareness and playstyle. Yeah I've played thief the most in the last 7 years but I've also played kitten ton of war,ranger,rev,guard,necro as well and thief is at least for me one of the least worrisome classes that I've had to deal with over the yrs, except DE in WVW, a good DE is absolutely infuriating to fight for my if I'm not on thief or ranger myself and even them I've had some outplay me so hard on DE and made it seem like I had 0 chance 0. I usually sit at gold 3 when I actually played often as a solo q only player so I'm no pro and I can deal with most thieves other players should definitely be able to as well.

Sic Em does but it can only be applied before a player stealths so it's useless against a player that is already invisible, and deadeyes can weaste it too by removing it which sucks so bad when it happens XDI do use it quite often but it's not always on hand since it's pretty much a thief only counter skill for me and most other times there are more useful skills to have on my bar so there are times I get stuck in an ambush without Sic Em >.< this is annoying but i've won my fair share of these scenarios as well as lost a few.

I agree with you on Deadeyes being infuriating at times ha! i've had some bad times with those guys.At least thieves and daredevils get in close and give you some opening to counter but deadeyes will just stealth and teleport about the place and pew pew pew you to death from range.. really annoying XD

I actually prefer the the sic em style over the reveals that are used while teef is stealth'd, just personal preference but makes me feel more in control of the fight. I've always said counters to counters are poor design and the fact it has a ammo of 2 is silly. I think even most DE players probably feel meld was a stupid addition to competitive modes.

@Caedmon.6798 said:Lmao,stop blaming this on stealth. Hackers can stealth whenever. Useless thread.

Not blaming it on stealth, rather it is and always has been a thing to run classes with stealth to cover given hacks, it was even one of the suggestions on how to use the program by the developer. As the main risk of being caught was that of being reported, as there seems to be no automatic system in place for tracking location hacks.

Also, having stealth whenever etc has not and is not a feature of any cheating program I have ever seen.

I get where people are coming from, as I've seen people blatantly using hacks in WvW as have most people. That said, you'd be surprised how often I get whispered to tell me I've been reported for hacking when I'm not, they just have no clue what I just did or how to fight it. Like the time I got reported for teleport hacking when I was playing power P/D and killing people with 9k shadow strikes. Or any of the multiple people that reported me because they didn't know that shadow trap used to give the thief a 10k range shadowstep. Or the people that reported me because I made a build around immobilising people in the old choking gas as soon as they made it a pulsing daze. Point is, thief may be used to mask hackers, but a great deal of people have no idea what thief can do and just call hacks without bothering to work out what they actually did.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I get where people are coming from, as I've seen people blatantly using hacks in WvW as have most people. That said, you'd be surprised how often I get whispered to tell me I've been reported for hacking when I'm not, they just have no clue what I just did or how to fight it. Like the time I got reported for teleport hacking when I was playing power P/D and killing people with 9k shadow strikes. Or any of the multiple people that reported me because they didn't know that shadow trap used to give the thief a 10k range shadowstep. Or the people that reported me because I made a build around immobilising people in the old choking gas as soon as they made it a pulsing daze. Point is, thief may be used to mask hackers, but a great deal of people have no idea what thief can do and just call hacks without bothering to work out what they actually did.

I once got called a hacker for using Binding Shadow and hitting them with it when they were LoSing my normal attacks.

To be fair to Anet, the last time they tried to implement an aggressive anti-hack tool, they were met with severe criticism from the player-base over its invasive properties and false-positives (ie AutoHotKey).

But at this point, I'd take the bad anti-cheat over meeting hackers, especially in PvP.

@nativity.3057 said:To be fair to Anet, the last time they tried to implement an aggressive anti-hack tool, they were met with severe criticism from the player-base over its invasive properties and false-positives (ie AutoHotKey).

But at this point, I'd take the bad anti-cheat over meeting hackers, especially in PvP.

Was so much fun killing exploit users with mirage and deadeye they couldn't grasp the concept of playing legit.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@Mokk.2397 said:I'm seeing a lot of thieves recently covering hacks with stealth. Only tonight I rapid fired a thief that stealthed straight inside a wall. When is ANET going to address this rising problem . Or is going to take going to several gaming magazines and reporting the problem you are ignoring to them.

What do you mean stealth straight inside a wall?

As for classes with stealth access, yes, they tend to be more common with the use of port hacks at least, as the escape can be masked. Example being, I was fighting a thief, who used his ports to try and get away, but I was running JI, sword and GS so I kept him in range, and just as he stealths, I use F1 reveal and tag him, revealing him, which he didn't notice as he used port to mouse location and was almost totally out of render range (4,000+ units away) in one port, he went from NW wall at NC to half way down to sentry, and then less than 2 seconds later was showing up as a dot at sentry, by the time I got there he had already capped and WPed right in front of me.

I mean exactly what I said, I was shooting with rapid fire down on to a thief from the top of a wall . I t stealthed as rapid fire was in progress and the projectiles tracked from where the thief was straight inside the wall there by being obstructed . Me being on the top of the wall showed an obvious hack . I've been playing long enough to know the difference between a port and a hack . I also don't buy the idea that it may be glitch because the thief emerged from the wall moments after it's health became full . This was clipping hack inside a wall to avoid being downed not a port.

@"nativity.3057" said:To be fair to Anet, the last time they tried to implement an aggressive anti-hack tool, they were met with severe criticism from the player-base over its invasive properties and false-positives (ie AutoHotKey).

The only people that complained were the people that got caught. And if ANET did it again I would not shed one single tear for anyone who gets caught .Using the argument of invasion of privacy is a complete crock of bull crap when you consider the internet being the least private place to be in the world."Auto" hot keys ? That sounds the same as a macro which are also restricted in game . The are plenty of possible key bindings offered in game . A third party "Auto" hot key is cheating plain a simple .