Why is this community so terribly disrespectful and toxic on the official twitch stream?

urd.8306

I just switched into the GW2 stream and I'm still a bit shocked. Why people feel the need to be that toxic to those people that make this great game many of us play for eight years now? I can understand that some people want certain things to change, but if you want something, you'd rather be nice or at least fair in your criticism. Yelling, Insulting or Spamming gets you nowhere.I really feel bad for everyone having to read that. With behaviour like that you get nothing, you just alienate the devs that put their ideas, their work and a lot more into the game. You even annoy the majority of the players that normally play with you, new players that may join the stream because of the steam release.If you don't like where the game is going, leave it or be constructive in your criticism.

Anyways, thanks Anet and everyone working on it for the game you made. I still enjoy it - and even most of the community.

Live stream comments, even more than comments on posted videos, are opportunities to photo-bomb, flame, and troll. Live stream naturally encourages people to do that and, if there are moderators deleting posts, some people will try even harder to see how fast the mods can catch the post and ban them.

@Randulf.7614 said:Those who enjoy the game are prob in the game enjoying it to be honest. I know I am (well, bugged events aside)

It's an internet fad where twitch, twitter and other media must be filled with quick bites of vitriol. You are shouting into the hurricane hoping to change that

This 100%The people that really enjoy the game are not posting and crying on the forums. These people got the devs to give them what they want and it's not enough for them. It's like this in every mmo forum now. These are the hardcore players that should be ignored most of the time but devs for some reason think these people speak for everyone.

Twitch chat is always toxic. Add to that, the water between Anet and the player base is so muddied. There is lack of trust towards Anet due to:

Some major Anet devs leaving the company.Distrust towards Anet parent company further involvement in Anet.Lack of communication and poor communication on Anets part.Issues with the implementation of build templates, that took month to resolve.Blatant false advertising regarding the “saga” being expansion level content. In the end it was just another living season.Fatigue due to lack of new interesting content.Failure of the new PvP. It has close to 60% disapproval rating.Uncertainty regarding the future. There is expansion on the horizon. But when? Spring 2021, fall 2021 or 2022? No one knows. Also, beside Being in Cantha (which is not confirmed), what will the game content include?

Anet has been performing poorly on all fronts.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I doubt it being Twitch really has anything to do with it. You’d have the same kind of people regardless of which medium was used.

Of course you would have the same types of people other places. Folks don't disappear and then reappear for Twitch alone. But certain environments breed certain behaviors. And there is a very distinct feeling to Twitch and how people act on it. So it very much has to do with being on Twitch.

@DiabolicalHamSandwich.8756 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I doubt it being Twitch really has anything to do with it. You’d have the same kind of people regardless of which medium was used.

Of course you would have the same types of people other places. Folks don't disappear and then reappear for Twitch alone. But certain environments breed certain behaviors. And there is a very distinct feeling to Twitch and how people act on it. So it very much has to do with being on Twitch.

There’s nothing distinct about it. If they streamed on YouTube, you’d have the same thing. People with anonymity will say whatever they want as there won’t be any repercussions.

You can find this same negatively on the forums and reddit as well.

Simple answer: game is dead.

Complex answer: game is not dead yet, as people still hope for something better (ballance in PvP, Guild vs Guild, revitalization of WvW, and so on), and these hopes kept for a long time tend to create frustrations, which are spilled on other players (even though it's not their fault) creating the so called toxicity.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

There’s nothing distinct about it. If they streamed on YouTube, you’d have the same thing. People with anonymity will say whatever they want as there won’t be any repercussions.

I've seen many YouTube stream chats, I've seen many Twitch chats. Not even remotely on the same level. Maybe in time but no.

@DiabolicalHamSandwich.8756 said:

I've seen many YouTube stream chats, I've seen many Twitch chats. Not even remotely on the same level. Maybe in time but no.

And I’ve seen many Twitch chats over the years and have never seen anything like what was described to have occurred on the GW2 one.

There are a lot of angry players. You seen them on these forums. You see them on reddit. You see them in game. This isn’t anything unique to Twitch. What likely happened is that people found out that Anet was live on their channel and took it upon themselves to go there.

@Zeivu.3615 said:How do you know it isn't Twitch?

That's like saying PvP breeds toxicity, when the actual reason for people being toxic in PvP is the actual abandonment Anet expressed when they decided to let hackers/botters, and blatant cheaters roam free.

In both the Twitch situation and PvP, it is not the environment themselves, it is the common denominator of Anet being the issue and folks just shrugging everything else/ being compliant to poor content because it doesn't effect their play style.

@"diomache.9246" said:Nothing of what you say is an excuse for that kind of behaviour. Sorry that I have to say that.

I mean thats a two way street, its the only place to reliably communicate with the dev's. (Most people assume the forums are a waste, that they aren't even read and for years they had a point. Mike Z even said that they paid more attention to reddit than the forums) That said being an arse wont get anywhere. Like Guild wars 2 has a perception of being the meme "Woke" mmo and they are trying to turn that around.

But that hills is a steep one paved with years of broken promises, empty words and disillusioned vet players and tons of snarky "My MMO BEETAH" guys. Its to be expected, welcome to the internet... all and all Im shook they gave us a trailer.