GW2 on steam, What’s the benefit?

I asked about this in the official topic, because I was surprised to see so many people angry that they couldn't use their existing account on Steam. I very rarely use Steam, only if it's the only way to run a game and then I literally open Steam, open the game and then close down Steam, so my understanding was that there's absolutely no benefit for existing players, it would just make the process of logging into the game slightly longer.

But apparently Steam tacks on a bunch of social features and novelties, like your Steam friends list is imported into the game and it will display achievements you've earned on Steam itself, as well as something to do with trading cards which I still don't quite understand. The most important thing though seems to be that it adds additional payment options which aren't currently offered by Anet and which can be cheaper and/or easier to use for players outside of the officially supported regions (North America and Europe).

Having access to the steam wallet is the main feature I would love. When you play games on steam many award trading cards you can then sell on the marketplace to fund your wallet (which you can spend on any games/microtranscations within steam!), skins from games like cs:go and such can also be sold for this purpose. That means that when you play other games you're earning money you can then spend in GW2 (if you choose to) which would be awesome! Might seem like not a lot, but many people have earned 100's of $ this way for their wallet (not so much just from cards, but the combo of cards and marketable cosmetics). Steam has more payment methods, and ease of access for regional pricing/payment options that a fair amount of individuals would benefit from (and be able to finally purchase expansions and such without going through hell).

Localised currency prices would be great if they are reasonable and possible. This would eliminate the worry of fluctuating foreign exchange rates on real purchase prices. Although a while before on steam, I remember some games that were priced at like 50 USD would cost around 100 AUD, despite foreign exchange rates suggesting the actual converted price should be much cheaper. So the localised prices should be made reasonable and realistic if it is done.

A spike in new players is the biggest benefit. However, unless they've revamped the early game since I last actively played, a year and a half to two years ago, I don't know how many will stay. I kind of feel the core maps and game were one of the main aspects that kept some new players from playing.

good thing imo; i luckily was able to google, when i planned to try out my first MMO, and finally decided for gw2 back then. but i also first searched steam store since i before only played games on steam the last 5 years nearly?

a larger playerbase is surely what the game wants, what any MMO can wish for acutally. Anet will need stronger servers tho ^^"

maybe it revives the game new and makes some more streamers test Gw2 as well.

@RedBaron.6058 said:This game is not the friendliest for new players, especially on competitive modes.Maybe if ANet adds awesome rewards for Personal Story and a PvE version of WvW where new players under 200 rank learn the ropes against NPC's before engaging in normal WvW mode...i mean obviously, because those are lategame content simply.