Hummingbird the underwater creature

Fir.7932

Hummingbird is a 2k gems skin.. Which is quiet expensive for a gemstore skin. Wouldn't it be fair if it had at least some kind of swimming animation underwater? I have bought it before because I liked it, I would not buy it again when he "flies" underwater with his wings flapping and everything.

I wonder if there are some people who feel the same.

The skimmer was never intended to be used underwater and there were even lore reasons for why it wasn't a sea creature. This was just kind of a patchjob for people who wanted an underwater mount without designing brand new content around that. I'm happy we got anything at all though.

Best Advice I can give you is to Just think of it as a kingfisher hybrid. To be honest the body movements aren't that far off since they also flap their wings very fast and hover in place like hummingbirds before diving.It would be kind of funny if they added a little air bubble at the end of it's beak when diving.

@Solanum.6983 said:Best Advice I can give you is to Just think of it as a kingfisher hybrid. To be honest the body movements aren't that far off since they also flap their wings very fast and hover in place like hummingbirds before diving.It would be kind of funny if they added a little air bubble at the end of it's beak when diving.

@Solanum.6983 said:Best Advice I can give you is to Just think of it as a kingfisher hybrid. To be honest the body movements aren't that far off since they also flap their wings very fast and hover in place like hummingbirds before diving.It would be kind of funny if they added a little air bubble at the end of it's beak when diving.

Good thinking. In other ornithological musings, it could be a Water Ouzel (aka Dipper).

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Penguins 'fly' underwater by flapping their wings. Why shouldn't giant hummingbirds?

I know, i was actually hoping for some penguin like swimming animation for a 2k gems skin, but he has just the exact same animations even the idle animations of flying around underwater, it looks super weird.

@Jilora.9524 said:Don't they have a lion skin for griffon? You all fine w a lion flying but not this

Yeah if it was a lion without wings just with running animation in the air, I would bet people would feel awakward about it. But that's not the case is it? It's still a Gryphon just a different version with a lion head something like a chimera, but still has wings and still has flying animation. I don't mind this Hummingbird being underwater. All I am saying is, that for a 2k gems skin he could have had some simple swimming animation instead of flying animation underwater.

@Jilora.9524 said:Or you could look at it as it's still a Skimmer with a hummingbird skin not like you unlocked a Hummingbird mount and it goes under water. If you look too hard for realism might as well debunk the 1000 other things in MMO's that technically don't make sense

Idc.. My point is it's 2k gems skin.. If they added flying ability for Jackal, and some skins would have just basic running animation in the air, it would be weird too.

@Fir.7932 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:Don't they have a lion skin for griffon? You all fine w a lion flying but not this

Yeah if it was a lion without wings just with running animation in the air, i would bet people would feel awakward about it. But that's not the case is it? It's still a Gryphon just a different version with a lion head something like a chymera, but still has wings and still has flying animation. I don't mind this Hummingbird being underwater. All I am saying is, that for a 2k gems skin hew could have some simple swimming animation instead of flying animation underwater.

Exactly, the lion griffon is a chimera.

@Fir.7932 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Penguins 'fly' underwater by flapping their wings. Why shouldn't giant hummingbirds?

I know, i was actually hoping for some penguin like swimming animation for a 2k gems skin, but he has just the exact same animations even the idle animations of flying around underwater, it looks super weird.

Oh my! I MUST have a penguin skimmer skin! If turtles can fly penguins can fly!

They probably used a beautiful illusion to mesmerize the players and get rid of a more complicated and difficult job that would be creating a completely new mount. I found it very interesting that they put a new skill on the skimmer, I even understand the sad situation (the covid-19). But I think it would be even more charming if they brought a new mount with their own characteristics, skills and peculiarities to dive, swin and live under the water.

Have you ever wondered if they created a species of seahorse or some spectacular mutation of fish? Have you ever thought how beautiful it would be to see you jumping out of the water on a fish or sea horse ?! I can't stop thinking about it !!!

@Fir.7932 said:

Yeah if it was a lion without wings just with running animation in the air, i would bet people would feel awakward about it. But that's not the case is it? It's still a Gryphon just a different version with a lion head something like a chymera, but still has wings and still has flying animation. I don't mind this Hummingbird being underwater. All I am saying is, that for a 2k gems skin hew could have some simple swimming animation instead of flying animation underwater.

Ok, then I would be more upset this Hummingbird can't fly or hover like a skyscale and I bet it's slow af on land like a Skimmer while Hummingbirds are pretty quick. I just saw a bunch of threads about this particular skin here and on reddit and just didn't get this issue when if you look at all mounts there might be others like my gecko bunny. Can gecko's jump that high? I doubt it but who knows

Hummingbirds are very clever. Whenever the feeder empties, they find and harass me until I fill it back up. Tyrian hummingbirds could use a breather. Their appearance underwater is awkward but it is a small price to pay for an underwater mount. A new underwater mount would be more awkward then adapting the skimmer. I don't want to have to change mounts to go underwater when I am sitting on the surface of the water or be left treading water when I reach the surface. Adapting the skimmer makes sense, the mount has to be able to function across the water surface transition.

@Jagblade.4627 said:The skimmer was never intended to be used underwater and there were even lore reasons for why it wasn't a sea creature. This was just kind of a patchjob for people who wanted an underwater mount without designing brand new content around that. I'm happy we got anything at all though.

couldn't agree more - this felt sketchy to me as soon as they announced it.

If a manta Ray can float above water (and land) via twin posterior gas vents, hummingbirds can swim under water with their wingsTheir wings have evolved to be able to propel underwater, and they have learnt to adapt their wing strokes (too fast for us to see) or whatever is that they need to do

Don't worry too much abt it. Don't forget that any new animation may be uglier, and you can't opt out of it

A duck..

Since day one I have been saying replace all mounts with a duckGW2 lacks ducks, they are neverywhere

1) Raptor, runs, jumps - a duck can do that, and it wobbles too2) jackal, same - a duck can do that3) Springer, ever see Donald Duck in rage ? yes ! - a duck can jump up and down4) Griffin, flies, dives - a duck can and WONT stop being a duck when hitting water surfaces5) Skyscale , flies, climbs with effort - a duck does too6) Beetle ? - ever seen a duckling roll up ?7) Skimmer - it's a duck in disguise

I already made my alt account into a duck-themed naming frenzie, so I am ready.

To quote Gene Hackman:"Duck I says"

=)