No echowald forest?

Clyan.1593

Since the trailer shows the jade sea wouldn't that also mean the echowald forest has not reverted back either?If you think in straight lines that is of course - maybe there is more to it, we don't know the new canthan lore yet.

But yeah, I'm kinda worried we won't see echowald forest, since it is not shiny, happy and colorful enough for GW2.What do you think about this?

The Echovald forest will be included. At the least semi-petrified, as its stated in Movement of the World that the jade sea had began to unsolidify in rather uncertain terms. They'd be crazy not to work HoT maps setting a great precedent.

The order of scenes in the trailer follows a geographic order, from south in Shing Jea Monastery to the north north east through Kaineng City to the Jade Sea.

Also worth of note that it almost appears to be through the eyes of Kuunavang. Kuunavang has never (nor any Saltspray Dragons) been known to visit the Echovald Forest whatsoever. Might tie into it. Or not.

I think it's safe to say it'll be included though.

It's not going to be the Cantha we remember, in the same way Elona was not the Elona we remembered and much of Core Tyria was utterly differentThe Jade Sea has melted and the Echolvald Forest will be largely unpetrified or at least looking and feeling different. I imagine Kaineng City will look better.

It will feel largely like a new Continent I expect with some familiar landmarks

@Randulf.7614 said:It's not going to be the Cantha we remember, in the same way Elona was not the Elona we remembered and much of Core Tyria was utterly differentThe Jade Sea has melted and the Echolvald Forest will be largely unpetrified or at least looking and feeling different. I imagine Kaineng City will look better.

It will feel largely like a new Continent I expect with some familiar landmarksThat's how it should be in theory. From a purely narrative point of view, and strict adherence to the Lore, both Jade sea and stone forest should be long gone, and turned into a completely normal sea and forest. On the other hand, from both design and marketing point of view, both Jade Sea and Echovald forest were so cool they'd be stupid to let go of them completely. And it's not like they can't find some decent explanation for it - they can always say that reverting the effect of Jade Wind is a process that takes not a few, but hundreds of years, and it's still only half-finished.

@Randulf.7614 said:It's not going to be the Cantha we remember, in the same way Elona was not the Elona we remembered and much of Core Tyria was utterly differentThe Jade Sea has melted and the Echolvald Forest will be largely unpetrified or at least looking and feeling different. I imagine Kaineng City will look better.

It will feel largely like a new Continent I expect with some familiar landmarks

many ancient forest IRL are the same as 500 years ago, not exactly but the majority of these forests have the old trees where it has always bin.the echovald forest is much older, unless they're doing a tyria (which is unrealistically changing the map just to fit their ideas) it should be the way we remember globally.

@Clyan.1593 said:Since the trailer shows the jade sea wouldn't that also mean the echowald forest has not reverted back either?

The Jade Sea was melting into water in the trailer, signaling that the curse had been lifted (after Shiro's defeat in GW1).

I sure do hope, though, that we will get to visit the current version of the Echovald Forest! <3

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Clyan.1593" said:Since the trailer shows the jade sea wouldn't that also mean the echowald forest has not reverted back either?

The Jade Sea was melting into water in the trailer, signaling that the curse had been lifted (after Shiro's defeat in GW1).

I sure do hope, though, that we will get to visit the current version of the Echovald Forest! <3

Yeah but then it will just be a glorified forest with "bigger" trees, wheres the intrigue in that?Edit: I just really like the darker cathedral theme, and this might be the only way we are gonna get it.

@Yggranya.5201 said:Don't worry people. Considering they are going to recycle cantha only because of your nostalgia, with enough complaining it can be exactly as it was in GW1. Makes no sense but chasing profit doesn't need to make sense.

I still find it baffling how in 250 so much of Tyria's landscape and geo changed xDBuildings get built, cities rise, but most of the landscape should stay untouched, minus Elder Dragon influence.

I'm expecting to see some nostalgic places in Cantha, I'm also expecting and hoping to see the Cathedral-like Echovald forest, because it is a unique zone, unique feel and unique story...same goes for Jade Sea.The way I see it, some parts of Jade Sea could be melted, some not...and some parts of Echovald could be blooming/green etc, while others remained as a stone.

Having yet another normal sea area and normal forest area is just plain boring, so of course people want these zones back just re-done with better graphics and expanded.I also look forward to see how the rest of Cantha got built. Kaineng area, Undercity etc.

I have no doubt we'll be getting to the echovald forest at one point. I do not know it is at launch or during a future living world release. Keep in mind that PoF featured parts of the crystal desert and parts of Nightfall and that later other parts of nightfall where added through the living world releases.

I would rather expect the forest to be part of the intitial release and shing jae being part of a living world release. It will and shall have a very different function for GW2.

@"Kadsik.9281" said:Yeah but then it will just be a glorified forest with "bigger" trees, wheres the intrigue in that?Edit: I just really like the darker cathedral theme, and this might be the only way we are gonna get it.

Me, too! I can't really recall whether the "darkening" of the forest was related to the Shiro storyline... but am certain any changes won't affect the architecture nor the giant forest trees' size and shadows.

@Blur.3465 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:Don't worry people. Considering they are going to recycle cantha only because of your nostalgia, with enough complaining it can be exactly as it was in GW1. Makes no sense but chasing profit doesn't need to make sense.

I still find it baffling how in 250 so much of Tyria's landscape and geo changed xDBuildings get built, cities rise, but most of the landscape should stay untouched, minus Elder Dragon influence.

I'm expecting to see some nostalgic places in Cantha, I'm also expecting and hoping to see the Cathedral-like Echovald forest, because it is a unique zone, unique feel and unique story...same goes for Jade Sea.The way I see it, some parts of Jade Sea could be melted, some not...and some parts of Echovald could be blooming/green etc, while others remained as a stone.

Having yet another normal sea area and normal forest area is just plain boring, so of course people want these zones back just re-done with better graphics and expanded.I also look forward to see how the rest of Cantha got built. Kaineng area, Undercity etc.

So you don't think anet can create anything original and interesting even if they tried? That is not a very nice way to look at things.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

So you don't think anet can create anything original and interesting even if they tried? That is not a very nice way to look at things.

And am I saying that?

Please read my post again."Having yet another normal sea area and normal forest area is just plain boring, so of course people want these zones back just re-done with better graphics and expanded. "

We're having a bunch of zones like that in game. So of course a petrified stone forest and jade sea is something different and refreshing. But hey, that's just me!In the end it's down to ANet to decide, we're just here to voice what we'd like to see.

I feel like getting Echovald is kind of a necessity. This teaser may not even be what Cantha looks like today. It could be a conversation set in the past and isn't even rendered in game.

If they didn't include Echovald, what zones would they release? I'm imagining Kaening to be its own zone, then the island that we'll see bits of during the upcoming fractal, then the Jade Sea and surrounding areas. Going further south would involve going through the forest. They could potentially have some outer islands that we explore setting us up for entering more of the mainland Cantha in the next living story season, but then why show the Jade Sea?

I don't think you can really read into this teaser but I feel like we may know a lot more after the upcoming fractal release.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

No, they can'tWe can see that the content of the game and the maps explored are largely recycling gw1 ( in an economical version ) since the beginning of the game.

As soon as they try to innovate it goes no further than evil dragon beast, uggly and boring. And maybe scarlet and living story season 1, the most uninteresting period of gw2 with the current saga.So no I hope they will continue to use Guild wars 1 lore and environment because this is the only thing they are able to do.The old arena, the heart of the franchise is long gone.

So yes please, i want shing jea, kaineng city, jade sea AND echovald forest. Don't have the nerve to remove one of those areas that are the essence of cantha..

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Clyan.1593 said:Since the trailer shows the jade sea wouldn't that also mean the echowald forest has not reverted back either?

The Jade Sea in the trailer still looked frozen to me. There was a long, panning shot across the waves but the water was not moving, the waves still frozen.

@radda.8920 said:

No, they can'tWe can see that the content of the game and the maps explored are largely recycling gw1 ( in an economical version ) since the beginning of the game.

As soon as they try to innovate it goes no further than evil dragon beast, uggly and boring. And maybe scarlet and living story season 1, the most uninteresting period of gw2 with the current saga.So no I hope they will continue to use Guild wars 1 lore and environment because this is the only thing they are able to do.The old arena, the heart of the franchise is long gone.

So yes please, i want shing jea, kaineng city, jade sea AND echovald forest. Don't have the nerve to remove one of those areas that are the essence of cantha..

I agree that the won't even try. Nostalgia sells too well and you obviously don't even want them to even consider anything else.

Seems to be the thing with games that go on for too long. If it's the same, the same people will buy the game and anything added to it. If they try something new, the same people will call it the worst thing ever. If there are no new people (and it isn't guaranteed) then it will flop and they lose money, so nobody will even try. Just take the easy way, every time, because it's easy and success is guaranteed.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

I agree that the won't even try. Nostalgia sells too well and you obviously don't even want them to even consider anything else.

Seems to be the thing with games that go on for too long. If it's the same, the same people will buy the game and anything added to it. If they try something new, the same people will call it the worst thing ever. If there are no new people (and it isn't guaranteed) then it will flop and they lose money, so nobody will even try. Just take the easy way, every time, because it's easy and success is guaranteed.

And here you speak as if ANet didn't innovate and create brand new maps all this time!They made a bunch of new zones. Including the old Tyrian zones which look nothing like their former selves.Almost the entirety of Tyria is brand new with nothing resembling its old former self from GW1 franchise.Things that got 'transferred over' were names and some monuments and ruins with bits of story. Other than that GW2 IS a whole different game.Heck even Path of Fire introduced literally brand new zones hardly recognizable from Nightfall from GW1.So I really don't get your point here. They've been innovating and making new things all this time.As soon as people request to see some familiarities with Cantha, some people go nuts xD