If Cantha is underwater they could remake the combat

If there is a lot of underwater content with associated underwater combat planned I think it would be a good idea to revise how the underwater combat works, especially for some professions. The slow, awkward movement and limited availability of skills also makes it boring for me.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:are they going to remake underwater combat? its very clunky, it need to be more skillful they could give us a new skill tree/build/elite spec only for underwater content.

like what otto.5684 said, we aren't going to Waterworld but given the skimmer diving and swimming infusions expect them to atleast give these some purpose but it wont be the main focus of the environments. Cantha is very much above water :)

@Kadsik.9281 said:I just don't get the hate, this is probably the best underwater combat your gonna get in mmos, but everyone still calls it the worst smh. You guys should go play some WoW underwater combat and come back and this will be amazing to you.

No wows underwater combat is better then this, becouse it dont invalidate 50-70% of your skills and traits for said skills.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Kadsik.9281 said:I just don't get the hate, this is probably the best underwater combat your gonna get in mmos, but everyone still calls it the worst smh. You guys should go play some WoW underwater combat and come back and this will be amazing to you.

No wows underwater combat is better then this, becouse it dont invalidate 50-70% of your skills and traits for said skills.

It's not invalidating anything, its realistic, you shouldn't be using above water abilities in the water. It cant make anymore sense than that.Plus WoWs is very static/slow in comparison.

@Kadsik.9281 said:

It's not invalidating anything, its realisticNobody wants a "realistic" underwater combat. We want one that is fun.

And yes, currently the build system completely ignores underwater combat. Current builds require a full synergy between gear, traits, skills and weapons. That works overland. Underwater, however, you have a very limited selection of weapons, that usually do not cover all the roles available to said class (there's, for example, no good underwater weapon for a heal druid). Thus, your underwater options are severely limited. That alone is a significant problem, but, unfortunately, that's only the beginning. The real issue comes from the overland/underwater switch. Moving between those areas changes your skills and weapon, but does not change your traits or gear. So, quite often, when going underwater, you end up with skills and weapons that have next to no synergy with your traits and gear.

Compared to that, "small things" like many of your class skills just plain not working underwater end up quite insignificant.

@"Adiabatik.6714" said:I could see a "Elite:dangerous" mode for the game. Explore, trade, build/expand underwater base and armadas.And finally send back those "Luxons" to the prehistory, where they belongs.

Already done both Luxon and Kurzick got merged into the empire so they are gone.

@Kadsik.9281 said:

It's not invalidating anything, its realistic, you shouldn't be using above water abilities in the water. It cant make anymore sense than that.Plus WoWs is very static/slow in comparison.

So why can't i use aquatic stance underwater? It is a terrible ability, it's true, but that is beside the point.

If they do plan to have a lot of underwater content for Cantha, I wouldn't be surprised to also see a revamp to UW combat. They revamped traits and condis before HoT in anticipation for elite specs and such, so I'd kinda expect something similar for UW if that's what they plan on.

GW2 underwater combat is better than WoW's, but it's still terrible compared to land. As cool as exploring underwater zones is, it's a concept best retired. from MMOs.

I think they'll improve underwater combat so all your on land skills and traits either work or have underwater versions that serve the same function. They'll add tridents for underwater heal druids since tridents are basically underwater staves anyways. (Besides heal druid, I really don't think there are any professions that don't have good underwater weapons at all.)

@Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not invalidating anything, its realisticNobody wants a "realistic" underwater combat. We want one that is fun.

And yes, currently the build system completely ignores underwater combat. Current builds require a full synergy between gear, traits, skills and weapons. That works overland. Underwater, however, you have a very limited selection of weapons, that usually do not cover all the roles available to said class (there's, for example, no good underwater weapon for a heal druid). Thus, your underwater options are severely limited. That alone is a significant problem, but, unfortunately, that's only the beginning. The
real
issue comes from the overland/underwater switch. Moving between those areas changes your skills and weapon, but does
not
change your traits or gear. So, quite often, when going underwater, you end up with skills and weapons that have next to no synergy with your traits and gear.

Compared to that, "small things" like many of your class skills just plain not working underwater end up quite insignificant.

I do agree when going underwater gear/traits need to swap when going under, but this is why I also think it needs to be fully"realistic". We need an overhaul for the combat including more weapons, full traitlines etc. But from a mechanical standpoint it is fun though(It doesn't feel like your hindered movement-wise). Which is why I think its alot better.

@xoxin.8326 said:

GW2 underwater combat is better than WoW's, but it's still terrible compared to land. As cool as exploring underwater zones is, it's a concept best retired. from MMOs.

If an entire MMO was designed for underwater gameplay and nothing else, i'm sure they could design it better. But as long as it's just a side project, it is unlikely to be as good as the main focus of the game.

I would still like that anet would at least try to make it better.

@Kadsik.9281 said:I just don't get the hate, this is probably the best underwater combat your gonna get in mmos, but everyone still calls it the worst smh.

It may be the best underwater combat in an MMO (or not, there are a hell of a lot of MMOs that I don't know) but it's still far, far worse than the land combat and the environments are, tactically speaking, less interesting too.

People don't like it, ArenaNet have for the most part abandoned it, and If it was planned that the next expansion would have a lot of underwater content then they would have kept the underwater mount for that expansion and not tacked on an underwater ability to a mount that they specifically designed to enable us to quickly travel over and avoid the water and then given it away as a birthday present.