My suggestion for making PvP more exciting for all players

FreeTheJazz.7154

Dear PvP devs...

Combat is my favorite aspect of GW2. It is innovative, smooth, and fun!I play PvP regularly (conquest), and have over the times thought of my ideas on what the game-mode could benefit from.

Entry rank A, B, C, D, E, FWhat can frustrate me the most about the game-mode is when it feels like the matchmaking isn't doing a good enough job.It's rare that the teams feel balanced, and too often the game end up with one of the teams dominating the other.What if the matchmaking was put more in the hands of the player? I'd love to be able to choose at which level of competition for the games with matching rewards.Let's say the PvP menu has an option to choose at which rank you want to compete for your next game.Rank A will be the toughest competition and have the best money-reward, and maybe a daily item to win as well if your team wins?Rank F or how far down the ranks will go will have less competition (easier for newer players) and have lesser rewards.In order for very good players not to just go for a low rank and compete there and make the balance unstable, the rewards must be good and bad enough according to the entry rank.

Thanks for reading.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:It's win trading & throwing that is the problem, not the match maker.

You can thank solo/duo only.

I'm not sure I understand. Is there is a system that makes people win or loose on turn more or less systematically? That doesn't sound ideal.Anyway, what do you think of the entry ranks? If the rewards have a great enough value difference, do you think that would make more players want to invest more time into PvP, and because of that making the game-mode more popular?

@FreeTheJazz.7154

Ah, you've got 1 star in the forum and you sound like you're making a sincere post. So you really don't know?

OK so Win Trading/Throwing has been happening for years but in 2020 the population is low and you can no longer avoid games with the people who are doing it. They have a system of synch queueing with alt accounts so they can easily win games and avoid rating loss in games that they might lose. Here is how it works:

1. A person gets on their main account and they synch queues with their buddies who are on alt accounts that they don't care if they win or lose on. A player can make as many f2p accounts as they want, with absolutely no limit.
  2. When the queue box pops, if it pops same time for everyone synching, they know they are being put into the same game together. If the queue box doesn't pop same time, they just decline queue over and over until they do get into the same game together. This is why in ranked seasons when the queue box pops, someone will decline and you go back into queue, and then it pops again, and someone declines goes back into queue, pops again, finally game starts. But in unranked, the match just begins the first queue box pop 99% of the time. This is because there is no incentive to cheat in unranked.
  3. When the game begins, if the alt accounts are on the same team as the main account they are supporting, they try hard to win the game. If an alt account lands on opposite team of the main it is supporting, the alt will play like a fool and try to lose on purpose. Also, if an alt is on the same team as the main, if they are going to lose the game, the alt can DC early for the main, so the main won't lose rating when the loss occurs. Remember, we are talking about f2p accounts here that can be created with no limit. People do not care about rating loss or dishonor accumulation on f2p accounts.
  4. And then sometimes a couple alts will make it into the game with the main but 1 alt doesn't land in, but they still play the match anyway. When this kind of split happens, the solo alt will go into a game and target someone he doesn't like or who has a high rating, to attempt to throw the game and knock people out of leaderboard positions. Alternatively, this is also a tactic to just do by yourself on any old alt account whenever you're bored and want to knock competition out of the leaderboards.

So you see, this problem occurred when Arenanet decided to make ranked mode solo/duo only. It opened the doors for synch queue throw play, when we could no longer queue as a 5 man team with trusted players to avoid goon throwing. Strangely enough, around the same time ranked went solo/duo only, they allowed the creation of unlimited f2p accounts. It was almost as if someone designed all of this to encourage match manipulation. Seriously though, it does look like that and it is questionable at best. Upon this, the complete lack of administrative action against this monkey business is appalling. Last season, we had flat straight out hackers take top leaderboard positions and nothing was done about it. These are players who were caught cheating & hacking at unprecedented levels publicly on stream, for several games in a row. These videos were posted all over the place, yet Arenanet takes no action whatsoever. There was also a case where a popular streamer caught very obvious footage of match manipulation on his stream. When the streamer exposed it, rather than Arenanet taking action against the cheaters, they removed the streamer of his Arenanet partnership. This actually happened, and that martyrdom speaks much louder on the topic than anything I could tell you or anything some other person in this forum could explain to you.

So whatever the reason is for why all of this is happening and why it is being allowed or seemingly protected, one can only imagine. But I felt you should know what's going on in this GW2 ranked scene before you invest any heartful support into this game. Just know that it is what it is, and it is likely that nothing will ever change.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:@FreeTheJazz.7154

Ah, you've got 1 star in the forum and you sound like you're making a sincere post. So you really don't know?

OK so Win Trading/Throwing has been happening for years but in 2020 the population is low and you can no longer avoid games with the people who are doing it. They have a system of synch queueing with alt accounts so they can easily win games and avoid rating loss in games that they might lose. Here is how it works:

1. A person gets on their main account and they synch queues with their buddies who are on alt accounts that they don't care if they win or lose on. A player can make as many f2p accounts as they want, with absolutely no limit.
  2. When the queue box pops, if it pops same time for everyone synching, they know they are being put into the same game together. If the queue box doesn't pop same time, they just decline queue over and over until they do get into the same game together. This is why in ranked seasons when the queue box pops, someone will decline and you go back into queue, and then it pops again, and someone declines goes back into queue, pops again, finally game starts. But in unranked, the match just begins the first queue box pop 99% of the time. This is because there is no incentive to cheat in unranked.
  3. When the game begins, if the alt accounts are on the same team as the main account they are supporting, they try hard to win the game. If an alt account lands on opposite team of the main it is supporting, the alt will play like a fool and try to lose on purpose. Also, if an alt is on the same team as the main, if they are going to lose the game, the alt can DC early for the main, so the main won't lose rating when the loss occurs. Remember, we are talking about f2p accounts here that can be created with no limit. People do not care about rating loss or dishonor accumulation on f2p accounts.
  4. And then sometimes a couple alts will make it into the game with the main but 1 alt doesn't land in, but they still play the match anyway. When this kind of split happens, the solo alt will go into a game and target someone he doesn't like or who has a high rating, to attempt to throw the game and knock people out of leaderboard positions. Alternatively, this is also a tactic to just do by yourself on any old alt account whenever you're bored and want to knock competition out of the leaderboards.

So you see, this problem occurred when Arenanet decided to make ranked mode solo/duo only. It opened the doors for synch queue throw play, when we could no longer queue as a 5 man team with trusted players to avoid goon throwing. Strangely enough, around the same time ranked went solo/duo only, they allowed the creation of unlimited f2p accounts. It was almost as if someone designed all of this to encourage match manipulation. Seriously though, it does look like that and it is questionable at best. Upon this, the complete lack of administrative action against this monkey business is appalling. Last season, we had flat straight out hackers take top leaderboard positions and nothing was done about it. These are players who were caught cheating & hacking at unprecedented levels publicly on stream, for several games in a row. These videos were posted all over the place, yet Arenanet takes no action whatsoever. There was also a case where a popular streamer caught very obvious footage of match manipulation on his stream. When the streamer exposed it, rather than Arenanet taking action against the cheaters, they removed the streamer of his Arenanet partnership. This actually happened, and that martyrdom speaks much louder on the topic than anything I could tell you or anything some other person in this forum could explain to you.

So whatever the reason is for why all of this is happening and why it is being allowed or seemingly protected, one can only imagine. But I felt you should know what's going on in this GW2 ranked scene before you invest any heartful support into this game. Just know that it is what it is, and it is likely that nothing will ever change.

I'm out of words. This is just absolutely awful.

How on earth can they do this to their players, who just want the best for the game? Again, speechless.Thanks for taking your time and filling me in with the details.

It's been like this since I can remember lol. I just cant believe people go through all this for a high rank in gw2.... gw2, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT GW2 lmao. Seriously wtf haha. I mean to do this in any serious pvp game isnt right either but gw2? Some real winners out there but guess takes all kinds to make world go around. If anyone reads this that does the above, u seriously need to take a break from mmo's and take a serious look at ur life, all I'm sayin.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:It's win trading & throwing that is the problem, not the match maker.

You can thank solo/duo only.

The matchmaking is a huge issue for pvp. It has been the 7 years I have played it. Having duoQ at all and only 1 ranked Q is a bad choice in itself. Ive seen matches where me as solo vsed 2 good premades (personally i dont care it gives me good matches) but i would have 4 players who would have 0 idea of what to do. Should it have been soloQ only then that issue wouldnt be as oblivious.