The Power Battle

Ghos.1326

Alright, I finally have a bit of free time to write this up. I've also had that same exact time to reflect on power damage and why in some areas it may be way too oppressive, as well as ways to remedy the issue. I'll try to keep it structured and easy to follow.If we look at other games out there (more notably games with an MMO element to it with damage and HP, etc), we can see a sort of pattern with how damage is carried out. Rapid multi-hitting, low cooldown attacks usually have lower damage, but build up over the course of that attack with those smaller damage packets, slower attacks with longer cooldowns tend to have big damage benefits, etc (all, of course, in relation to health values, both maximum and minimum, and other factors). These couple examples, to me, is what I like to call true balance: it's a healthy and logical system of give and take, risk/reward, pros and cons. In gw2, however, especially during the early stages of PoF, we've not seen this healthy balance. It tipped a lot more toward the imbalanced side, where everything did damage and making so much as one mistake costed you the fight and possibly the match.What I am suggesting here, is to take a look at the skills and what they do in correlation to traits/utilities taken, cooldown times, cast times, single hit vs multi-hit, etc. While the February balance patch did a lot of this and quelled a lot of the insane powercreep the game was heading into, there were still a lot of things left out. A good example was (until recently) Ranger's Maul skill dealing over 5k with a cooldown of only 6 or 8, with a possibility of being reset if another skill lands and dealing another 5k or more. Another good example is assassin style builds doing big bursts (which is fine) but getting multiple chances back to back to do those big bursts, resulting in no big risks for going in and failing your attempt as you could just "do it again 4Head".Also, the CC skills. I think they should have some damage elements to them. I feel like where they are currently is sort of a test to see where things are at right now, and arenanet may very well be still testing the results of the Feb 25th balance patch. But, I'd like to see damage put out appropriately depending on the skill. FOR EXAMPLE: Bull's charge. Pre-patch, it hit for 3k while also being invulnerable during the animation, with a fairly decent cooldown. I don't agree with this. I would however like to see it hit at least 800 critical hit (assuming 200% crit damage), to where it's not way too strong, but at the same time, it's not hitting you for 3k or more while also gaining the benefit of being invulnerable during the animation. Of course, though, this would mean further bringing down the damage of other things (like some burst skills on warrior and forge skills on holo, speaking more on corona burst because that still hits hard for a 6s cd skill), but in the end it would balance out because then you can get more value out of using CC skills. This, also, would mean taking a look at some skills that currently CC, and possibly getting rid of their ability to CC, as you could chain multiple CCs that maybe hit for little damage, but when added up can still bring the player's health down a big chunk.All in all, I like the balance patch in its lowering of damage globally for competitive modes, and it's on the right track. there is still some things that were missed, and still some work to be done, but I think it's going well right now.Arenanet, if you're reading this, give my food for thought some consideration.

@"Bazsi.2734" said:I've read the whole thing twice and still can't tell what you are trying to suggest. So here is a copypasta:

"The thing you don't understand is that Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win."

I don't expect you to read and I remember you from the other thread. peace.

I don't think damage is a big problem overall. It's more what is paired with that damage, such as the assassin example you provided. With the ability to endlessly and effortlessly disengage, ambush attacks from stealth can be completely out of control OP without the damage of a single attack being problematic in and of itself. Maul? Not really a problem due to its ridiculous telegraph...but slap too much quickness and too short a cooldown on it and we have a problem.

I am wary of pinning the entire issue on damage output. In my opinion, too little damage is a bigger problem than too much damage. But there are certainly plenty of things they could take a look at that might make damage output seem less problematic without actually reducing damage that much.

@"Bazsi.2734" said:I've read the whole thing twice and still can't tell what you are trying to suggest. So here is a copypasta:

"The thing you don't understand is that Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win."

I have ready untill he said bull's charge hit for 3k pre patch, kekW

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

watch 1:55 and up KEKW.must be hard....

@Ghos.1326 said:

medium golem has more toughness then most players.warrior in the video had 8 might, while in real fights they ran with 15-25 at all timeshe had 2 stacks of attackers insight instead of 5Similarly I could make a video of me hitting 0 vulnerability golem with GS2 on 1shot mesmer and pretend it hits for 2,5k dmg. while in reality I would have 12 might and you would have 20 vulnerability stacks so it would deal 5k damage instead.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

medium golem has more toughness then most players.warrior in the video had 8 might, while in real fights they ran with 15-25 at all timeshe had 2 stacks of attackers insight instead of 5Similarly I could make a video of me hitting 0 vulnerability golem with GS2 on 1shot mesmer and pretend it hits for 2,5k dmg. while in reality I would have 12 might and you would have 20 vulnerability stacks so it would deal 5k damage instead.

Here come the excuses. The proof lies smacking you in the face and because you can't admit defeat, you instead make excuses.Please don't make me embarrass you again with more video proof....

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

I'll do it anyways.

13:20 forward, enjoy. :)

P.S. KEKW

@Ghos.1326 said:

I'll do it anyways.

P.S. KEKW

shit might, 0 insight stacks.P.S KEKW

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

I'll do it anyways.

P.S. KEKW

kitten might, 0 insight stacks.P.S KEKW

Still hit 3k Bull's Charge.KEKW

@Ghos.1326 said:

I'll do it anyways.

P.S. KEKW

15.28first time he uses bulls while properly buffed6.5k critKEKW

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

I'll do it anyways.

P.S. KEKW

15.28first time he uses bulls while properly buffed6.5k critKEKW

Yeah that one was rediculous.I'm lost, did you mean to say my estimate of 3k was too low? If so, then I agree 100% with you, might have been too generous with that number.I recall getting smacked a couple times with a big 5k Bull's Charge, and it hurt my soul. then it followed up with a 11k Arcing Slice.

@Ghos.1326 yes, I ment it hit harder.In fact I sometimes memed with hybrid mesmer, no protection, no weakness, no toughness. I have seen numbers closer to 10k from bulls, Im fairly sure they could push past 10k against me but I died too fast so they couldnt generate enough might/insight/tether.Realistic crit from bulls prepatch against meta builds is usually about 4-6k, if you use it with no buffs out of combat its gonna be 3-3,5k crit and ~2k without crit.But fully buffed you will see 6k+ hits, and if you fight XvX and enemy eats just tiny bit on vuln you are looking at ~8k hits or more.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Ghos.1326 yes, I ment it hit harder.In fact I sometimes memed with hybrid mesmer, no protection, no weakness, no toughness. I have seen numbers closer to 10k from bulls, Im fairly sure they could push past 10k against me but I died too fast so they couldnt generate enough might/insight/tether.Realistic crit from bulls prepatch against meta builds is usually about 4-6k, if you use it with no buffs out of combat its gonna be 3-3,5k crit and ~2k without crit.But fully buffed you will see 6k+ hits, and if you fight XvX and enemy eats just tiny bit on vuln you are looking at ~8k hits or more.

Facts, I used to hate Bull's Charge back in the day pre-patch. All that insane damage coupled with evade frames (which I wrongly named invuln), a decent cooldown (especially traited), and the added benefit of proccing a damage increase simply by using the physical skills......