Mount Adoption License - no select license

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:Why doesn't the Mount Adoption License currently on the gem store have a matching Mount Select License available? I'm not a fan of RNG purchased from the gem store and refuse to purchase them. I do however buy the Mount Select licenses when they are on sale. I'm sure others feel the same.

Because it was the first set that came out and Anet determined that it wouldn't be fair to people that had already purchased it.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15523/a-message-about-the-mount-adoption-license/

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:Why doesn't the Mount Adoption License currently on the gem store have a matching Mount Select License available? I'm not a fan of RNG purchased from the gem store and refuse to purchase them. I do however buy the Mount Select licenses when they are on sale. I'm sure others feel the same.

Because it was the first set that came out and Anet determined that it wouldn't be fair to people that had already purchased it.

Given the amount of time that's past this isn't not a valid excuse especially considering that the select licenses are more expensive. Basically that excuse says to someone like me who is morally opposed to RNG that we can never have those skins.

I bought about half the original set, and I would love to see a selection option. The only people I can understand objecting are the ones who actually bought all 30 just to get the one or two they wanted...and would they still be angry after all this time?

If not a selection, how about a large, permanent price cut? I really hate the idea of trying to get the few skins I still want and probably instead ending up with three or four of the least exciting skimmer skins they ever designed...

What fairness? We are paying a lot more for just one skin with the exclusive license. No one is forcing anyone to gamble with RNG. If you are willing to do it, don't say it is not fair when others don't follow. Besides those skins are already 3 years old and they are not exclusive stuff. Remember the GW2 dragon shirts? Now those are supposed to be really exclusive, only for people who were at their GW2 launch event and purchased the game 8 years ago. And, what happened? Two years ago, they gave it away free as a promo for some bubble tea sales. Now that's fairness.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:Why doesn't the Mount Adoption License currently on the gem store have a matching Mount Select License available? I'm not a fan of RNG purchased from the gem store and refuse to purchase them. I do however buy the Mount Select licenses when they are on sale. I'm sure others feel the same.

Given the amount of time that's past this isn't not a valid excuse especially considering that the select licenses are more expensive. Basically that excuse says to someone like me who is morally opposed to RNG that we can never have those skins.

It would still invalidate their investment in the skins. Time has no impact on that. I guarantee you that players who bought multiple infinite farming tools would be upset if a single set could be shared across the account without needing to swap them between characters.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:Why doesn't the Mount Adoption License currently on the gem store have a matching Mount Select License available? I'm not a fan of RNG purchased from the gem store and refuse to purchase them. I do however buy the Mount Select licenses when they are on sale. I'm sure others feel the same.

It would still invalidate their investment in the skins. Time has no impact on that. I guarantee you that players who bought multiple infinite farming tools would be upset if a single set could be shared across the account without needing to swap them between characters.

I've bought MANY farming tools off the gem store and would be ecstatic if they changed it to be an ascended crafting item and only had the skins and glyphs on the gem store.

It's because originally select licenses weren't part of the plan. They are a thing only because a backlash to so-called "mountgate" was big, and spilled into several gaming sites. And they were introduced only forward, and not for the original Mount License, because Anet doesn't make mistakes. Or, at least, doesn't like admitting to making them.

"Fair" has no place in a business argument as it is nearly impossible and incredibly costly to actually achieve. Ethical and non ethical is a completely different discussion. What would be good for the game is to offer a gem store item that would sell as evidenced by the sale of other mount select liscenses. I too purchased the original and would not be offended at all by Anet making what amounts to a good sales decision. I also wont be bothered if they decide not to. It is old content at this point so they may just not prioritize it at all.

As far as I know Anet haven't commented on the issue since their original concession that RNG only licences were unacceptable, when they said the original pack would stay RNG-only but future ones would have an alternative, so we don't know their current thinking but I assume (from the lack if a select license) that they haven't changed their position.

I'm another one who never got any of those skins because I don't buy RNG items with gems, but I would get some if select licences were available. Originally I wanted about 11 of them, but that's gone down now because I've got good alternatives from other packs but there's still 3 or 4 I'd buy. It would also lead to me buying more skins from other packs because I like the space effect skins but decided there's no point getting the ones available in other packs if I can't finish off the set because the jackal and griffon are RNG only.

I understand not wanting to further upset people who felt forced to gamble because that was the only option at the time (and not just for these skins, this was the first license released and before that we'd only had novelty themes packs like the Halloween and Wintersday mounts so it was the only way to get 'normal' dyable mounts). But I feel like enough time has passed that they could look at alternatives now.

Unless 90% (I would actually say 99%) of players who bought the original licenses are agreeable, i think it would be morally wrong to introduce it now.

I say this as someone who has never bought the original license, has bought a subsequent set, and bought select licenses, and would buy an original license if it were available.

@casualkenny.9817 said:Unless 90% (I would actually say 99%) of players who bought the original licenses are agreeable, i think it would be morally wrong to introduce it now.Oh come on, do you think that the original licence being a lootbox released at the height of the first big wave of lootbox outrage had anything to do with morality?

Also, it's about as (im)moral as some gemshop stuff going on offer. Or Anet introducing wardrobe unlockers and having it work also for gemshop stuff. Prices change, distribution methods change, when you buy something from gemshop today, you should not expect it to remain locked to the same price and sources forever.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"casualkenny.9817" said:Unless 90% (I would actually say 99%) of players who bought the original licenses are agreeable, i think it would be morally wrong to introduce it now.Oh come on, do you think that the original licence being a lootbox released at the height of the first big wave of lootbox outrage had
anything
to do with morality?

Also, it's about as (im)moral as some gemshop stuff going on offer. Or Anet introducing wardrobe unlockers and having it work also for gemshop stuff. Prices change, distribution methods change, when you buy something from gemshop today, you should not expect it to remain locked to the same price and sources forever.

I would never touch the original license in its current form. I would also never buy black lion keys with cash for that matter. I believe in "willing buyer, willing seller", and I believe that gambling is morally wrong, and that luring ppl into being addicted to gambling is wrong. I believe that the original license - because it is designed to be 30c1, with no duplicates, with even odds - is not quite a loot box.

When I buy something from the gemshop, I know it will eventually be discounted over time once it ages (like it currently is on discount now).

However, the original customers who did spend on it (Btw supporting the continued development of Mount skins and showing viability of product range) did so with the understanding that they would not reasonably be able to get the x number of specific skins they wanted out of the 30, and this would affect their decision to purchasing most if not all of the entire set. The original license was full of filler duds. It is only fair for those players to have a say in whether they are open to other players now having the opportunity to get the few skins at 720-1200 gems apiece.

The morality of loot boxes and my personal opinion of how the original license was a ripoff are irrelevant to this

@"casualkenny.9817" said:However, the original customers who did spend on it (Btw supporting the continued development of Mount skins and showing viability of product range) did so with the understanding that they would not reasonably be able to get the x number of specific skins they wanted out of the 30, and this would affect their decision to purchasing most if not all of the entire set.Correction: "did so with the understanding that they would not reasonably be able to get the x number of specific skins they wanted out of the 30 then". Since that time, 3 years have passed. In business, 3 years is a very, very long time - any surety about the original business model holding they might have had once is long gone.