Skimmer underwater speed is so disappointing - [Merged]

aaron.7850

No, it's 68% faster than unmounted swim speed.

You get a mount that works underwater, significantly increasing your speed.

You can now stealth for a whopping 8 seconds UW, this is more than enough to escape any combat you don't want to participate in.

You can now dodge everything for half an eternity UW (using Skimmer hover, increased by using Bond of Vigor).

And you still complain? I seriously don't get it ...

• Thanks 1

@"Croc.1978" said:No, it's 68% faster than unmounted swim speed.

You can now stealth for a whopping 8 seconds UW, this is more than enough to escape any combat you don't want to participate in.

You can now dodge everything for half an eternity UW (using Skimmer hover, increased by using Bond of Vigor).

It's definitely not 68% faster, it's not 28% faster than a swim infusioned swimmer more like 5% faster. You just mentioned a bunch of tools and utilities of the mount, this is about the disappointing low speed of the mount not "look what my skimmer can do"

@choon.6308 said:

It's definitely not 68% faster, it's not 28% faster than a swim infusioned swimmer more like 5% faster. You just mentioned a bunch of tools and utilities of the mount, this is about the disappointing low speed of the mount not "look what my skimmer can do"

It's been thoroughly tested. If you disagree with the results then by all means produce your own data to back up your argument. With a +16 swim infusion and the boost from traits, the skimmer mount is like 25% faster

@choon.6308 said:

It's not disappointing for the vast majority of people who didn't bother to get those swim infusions. And for those who do have the swim infusions, they should be happy that the Skimmer doesn't completely invalidate all the work they had to do to get their hands on them. ;)

@"choon.6308" said:You just mentioned a bunch of tools and utilities of the mount, this is about the disappointing low speed of the mount not "look what my skimmer can do"

OK, but did you really expect it to have the same speed underwater as over water/quicksand/sulfur?

It must be an illusion, but even though the swimspeed of skimmer seems slow underwater, it's the same speed as skimmer hovering above water, which is slightly faster than a raptor only running and not using its leap. People have already done the math but I checked by watching my minimap and I did not slow down when I submerged.

and also true, I never bothered with the swim speed infusions, so I imagine that must be part of why Skimmer seems disappointing if you did use them.

• Thanks 1

@"Friday.7864" said:Underwater movement still feels slow and dull to me.It's not what I expected, not even close. A disappointment really.On land mounts make a huge difference so it's no wonder people feel like it's underperforming.

Exactly. It's not a huge "25% faster boost" like so many claim, not even close.

Even though I corrected my first post here, I think skimmer's speed is still fair. It lets you get away from enemies, which is largely the point of mounts I would say.

BUT! I do agree about one thing. Skimmer could benefit from having the surge move underwater as an non-healing evade skill, much like Skyscale's barrel roll.

• Like 1

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_SpeedIts quite disappointing that skimmer speed underwater is same as skimmer on ground.Some might say water resistance, but skimmers pretty much have body shape to reduce drag of medium being traveled through.

In my opinion, underwater skimmers should move the same speed as it does over water and hazards.Or replace the current special action to "emerge towards surface" with a "surge" move similar to Raptor, one can always aim up if they want to get out of water.

Since the skimmer was added to make it faster to travel through water, I thought more like Roller Beetle and Griffon.

Well, are you travelling faster than if you were simply swimming? If yes, then I would say the skimmer does its job at making it "faster to travel through water" :)

Regarding water resistance, skimmers may travel faster if we weren't on their backs. As we are not leaned flat against their bodies, we offer drag. Hence the lower speed.

People are never satisfied, are they?

I think it's underwater speed is fine. And it keeps open the possibility of a separate mount that is faster underwater with some cool underwater ability (like a surge forward) that doesn't have the convenience of easily transferring to the surface or onto land.