Optimization 2020

I know this might have been brought up alot of times before.But I love this game. It is my go2 mmo game and has been since it came out. _But what I don't understand is why it's not been optimized at all. 8 Years and nothing has happened on this front.Even with a new cpu the fps tanks down to 12 when ever more players are around. If by your self then it's fine and getting 144 since I have it locked to that.But come on. 8 years and with new expansion coming why not at least move over some of the more taxing things to the gpu?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Anet is in coordination with AMD and Intel to force players to buy the newest CPUs they offer and constantly upgrade. They get percentages of CPU sales!Jokes aside, there are settings you can lower to get better performance, lower shadows, reflections, resolution, model limit. Other than that, someday in the future Anet might implement a proper Effect LOD that removes effects from other players, so we can both play at better frame rates and not hurt our eyes.

@choon.6308 said:There are many tricks for better frame rates. Start by turning off shadows, ambient occlusion and reflections

As I typed I get good fps if I'm by my self. I Have pretty good rig with a 2070 super. 2600x. 36 GB ram. Fast as hell nVME ssds.Problem is with alot of players where it will tank down to 13 fps.

@JinxSwe.8914 said:I know this might have been brought up alot of times before.But I love this game. It is my go2 mmo game and has been since it came out. _But what I don't understand is why it's not been optimized at all. 8 Years and nothing has happened on this front.Even with a new cpu the fps tanks down to 12 when ever more players are around. If by your self then it's fine and getting 144 since I have it locked to that.But come on. 8 years and with new expansion coming why not at least move over some of the more taxing things to the gpu?

Because optimization is costly and leaves people with older rigs in the dust. Considering this game can't function without appealing to a large group of people and there isn't a monthly fee, it's a hard case to justify optimization.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@JinxSwe.8914 said:I know this might have been brought up alot of times before.But I love this game. It is my go2 mmo game and has been since it came out. _But what I don't understand is why it's not been optimized at all. 8 Years and nothing has happened on this front.Even with a new cpu the fps tanks down to 12 when ever more players are around. If by your self then it's fine and getting 144 since I have it locked to that.But come on. 8 years and with new expansion coming why not at least move over some of the more taxing things to the gpu?

Because optimization is costly and leaves people with older rigs in the dust. Considering this game can't function without appealing to a large group of people and there isn't a monthly fee, it's a hard case to justify optimization.

Just a reminder that some games have an option to switch between different dx versions. Like POE which was released year later by (at the time) a indie company. How come small company could keep improving the game, performance and so on yet AAA title is stuck with dx9 in 2020, in fact 2021 (4 months away)?

I highly doubt theres anyone who still play gw on 15 yo rig.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

Just a reminder that some games have an option to switch between different dx versions. Like POE which was released year later by (at the time) a indie company. How come small company could keep improving the game, performance and so on yet AAA title is stuck with dx9 in 2020, in fact 2021 (4 months away)?

That's true but unless Anet finds a way to fund this ... why would they bother? What's the return on this investment for them? It's purely a QoL upgrade and who's going to pay for that?

@Obtena.7952 said:

That's true but unless Anet finds a way to fund this ... why would they bother? What's the return on this investment for them? It's purely a QoL upgrade and who's going to pay for that?

Newer games keep comming out that either take more advantage of new hardware or other older games choose to upgrade because they want to keep up.

The crowd of ppl that choose to play less and less because the game runs and plays badly is a very real, very sizable one.

I don't understand why won't they at least give us an option to turn off other people's combat effects. Not only they lower fps but also you can't see anything, combat in gw2 is just looking at numbers, you can't see enemies or your character.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

speaking of PoE, as you said it was released around the same era/time of GW2's (2013 vs 2012) and it started out on directx9 as well just like gw2, but then they eventually found the time to upgrade the rendering to directx11 as years went on.... and most recently this year, just released a beta for Vulkan... it shows they somehow value the player's gaming experience and want to ensure they get the best possible performance and also to make sure the game stays relevant to modern hardware in the years to come. and yeah you can still use dx9 (set it via config files) on PoE it just defaults to dx11 when you install it

optimisation is a means to/of future proofing your game.. no need for a remaster or a new engine. just make sure it runs and takes advantage of modern hardware because as time passes, more and more people will eventually buy newer computers because their old ones stopped working/couldn't take care of it/etc. and had to dispose/donate them - pretty sure no one here has a computer from the late 90s or year 2000/2001/2002 anymore (and if you ever do it's probably not your main machine, something you just keep for legacy purposes or for that one application that wouldn't work in a modern OS, you're not majority)

@zealex.9410 said:

Newer games keep comming out that either take more advantage of new hardware or other older games choose to upgrade because they want to keep up.

The crowd of ppl that choose to play less and less because the game runs and plays badly is a very real, very sizable one.

And the crowd of people that get pushed out because the game runs and plays badly on their rig might increase as well. Don't get me wrong ... who doesn't want best performance for a game on their PC? ... but are you going to pay for that? Unlike yourself, i'm not going to speculate on the doom of the game if it doesn't happen ... that's a rather moot point. Are the players that leave willing to pay for what amounts to a QoL upgrade? Let's be clear ... this is completely a business consideration.

not all slowness issues are caused by the game itself. Sometimes newer devices and drivers don't support certain things a particular game might do. Nvidia was always fast to release these.

I've been reading about the vermillion cape FPS blame. It doesn't affect my FPS on my 5-year-old 960 with or without the cape. Someone should organize the FPS complaints by vendor/model.

@keenedge.9675 said:not all slowness issues are caused by the game itself. Sometimes newer devices and drivers don't support certain things a particular game might do. Nvidia was always fast to release these.

I've been reading about the vermillion cape FPS blame. It doesn't affect my FPS on my 5-year-old 960 with or without the cape. Someone should organize the FPS complaints by vendor/model.

The majority of the widespread EU issues are skill lag and delays rather than FPS.

@zealex.9410 said:

Newer games keep comming out that either take more advantage of new hardwareHow many newer games are based on 10+ year old spaghetti code, built in-house by devs who are no longer with the company?

or other older games choose to upgrade because they want to keep up.How many of these older games are F2P?The crowd of ppl that choose to play less and less because the game runs and plays badly is a very real, very sizable one.Source? Data to support this claim?

@kharmin.7683 said:How many newer games are based on 10+ year old spaghetti code, built in-house by devs who are no longer with the company?

this is a non-issue if the original programmers left decent documentation along with the source code (i mean in practise that's what you should be doing anyway)... but that's a big if ... and if they didn't, well... oh well... =)

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Consider putting Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality on low/lowest for better large group performance.

Good luck.

Why doesn't anyone also include all kind of name tags (NPCs, player, hostile/enemy tags, items and intractable objects - everything that have a name that can be displayed on screen). Especially names on other player increase during a large group event and do have an impact on FPS. The only exception here is when one is in a squad or a party, here name tag and HP will be visible even when those settings are turned off by unticking "Show all Players".

In option>user interface - untick all "Show all XX names" (possible to enable to see with a holding down key assigned in option>controls>miscellaneous). XX is here for all things that can be checked here that show a name plate.

When these options are not checked, names are shown on your selected target, on the object under the mouse, on the object to which the camera is facing, and when holding the left Ctrl key (for enemies and objects) and the left Alt key (for players and NPCs). (These are the default setting with left Ctrl and left Alt keys - can be changed - and it is possible to use right CTRL - control- or right ALT/ on some keyborad right ALT is "AltGr" same key for those who doesn't know that).

@krz.1327 said:I don't understand why won't they at least give us an option to turn off other people's combat effects. Not only they lower fps but also you can't see anything, combat in gw2 is just looking at numbers, you can't see enemies or your character.

This. This is a change that would benefit the game and allow people to play based on their own rigs capability. Add a feature that limits the effects down to your party or self. Keeping the settings the same since the last laptop and you can see game performance degrade over time the more flash that is added, not to mention screen noise. This change would be a QoL change that might impact performance in all game modes.

@krz.1327 said:I don't understand why won't they at least give us an option to turn off other people's combat effects. Not only they lower fps but also you can't see anything, combat in gw2 is just looking at numbers, you can't see enemies or your character.

It’s something that I would like as well just so that it’s easier to see what’s going on. There are some skills, such as muddy terrain, that make it difficult to see ground AoEs. I’m also not big on the clusterkitten of flashy light display you see at every zerg from all of the skills.