How much do you think Cantha city changed?

EdwinLi.1284

So how much do you think Cantha city has changed over the years along with the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest?

From the teaser trailer it seems their building design remains mostly the same but that may only be a certain area of the city that is either too old or too poor to update their buildings to a newer design.

Do you think they added a extra layer to the city for the top side where the rich live with all new and more fancy designed builds?

Is there going to be a Red Light District in one of Cantha's City layers? :3

Do you think they dug deeper into the Undercity to create more lower levels for sewers and maybe poor people living areas?

Do you think that small tree garden from GW1 maybe still there but the tree may have grown much larger now?

Do they still sell three eye fishes in the market and say it is ok to eat?

Should we expect the return of certain Gangs and maybe new Gangs?

Has Shin Jea Monastery expanded in size over the centuries to take in more students or still the same size?

Can we expect generic bad/evil arragent Cantha student and nobility from Shin Jea Monastery and Cantha's Noblity families that looks down at our character because they are from a "prestige" Cantha nobility family known for being highly skilled in many profession's arts and we are just outsiders? Of course then later beat them up when they attack us just because they think they can get away with it because they are from a prestige Cantha noble family. B)

Is the Deep and Urgoz's Warren going to be where our character go for Story reasons or it may end up as Raids?

I hope that we will get the gangs of Kaineng referenced, preferably through elite specs.

We could get a "oyabun" elite spec for thief, a leader of an own little gang in the underworld with utility skills to summon different members of their gang to do their bidding.We could get a "plaguedoctor" elite spec for engineer, the descendants of the researches of the Am Fah, trying to strengthen the physique of their members through the plague.

I also like the idea that they developed Kaineng underground, instead of keeping to build on top.Looking at the trailer, it didn't seem like Kaineng made alot of progress on a technological level, tho. Which is kinda sad, I expected Kaineng to change into a gigantic steampunk metropole.

I'd like for it to be something crazy modern and futuristic. But in all likelihood it will be the same.

With all of the assets they already have in game like the cliffs and the numerous zephyrite towns they may opt to reuse those as much as possible, especially given how large the city was to begin with.

That is to say that something doesn't happen and a large portion of Kaening isn't destroyed by the time we get there, aka DSD attack or something else. I'm setting my expectations low in anycase and Kaening wasn't really my main reason for wanting to revisit this area.

I am interested in finding out what the Luxon territories look like now, assuming that portions of the jade sea have returned to normal. I'd imagine the Kurzicks will be fine as the trees unpetrifying wouldn't cause them to have to rebuild.

I'm honestly imagining a large luxon city on the water made on the backs of numerous turtles, the Kurzicks to still be chilling out in their nice verdant cathedrals, and Kaening to be pretty much the same with large imperial buildings and more run down shanty sections.

It's really difficult to speculate because the potential is unlimited. None of the cities connected to the five major races of Tyria existed in GW1. Even Lion's Arch was destroyed and rebuilt, so who is to say Cantha hasn't experienced similar developments? Did Orr rising effect them at all? What has the DSD potentially done their waters, shorelines, etc, if anything? In GW1, Amnoon Oasis was a small town. In GW2 it had grown into a city. I suspect we'll see similar developments in Cantha, but I don't remember enough to speculate specifics.

The trailer had very familiar architecture, and I don't really expect them too depart too far from a Wuxia fantasy aesthetic (as Cantha has always read predominantly Chinese in inspiration to me, despite there being a blend of East Asian cultures). I'm pretty confident Cantha will look very different though, especially with the Ministry of Purity taking over. I could see them erasing aspects of culture that they dislike and deem impure/disreputable. Even if they aren't controlling the continent anymore, 250+ years is a long time and there's lots of opportunity to rebuild, alter, expand during that time. With Luxon and Kurzick cultures apparently forcefully absorbed, I would imagine few remnants of those cultures remain -- or they are forced into some kind of 'reservation' system, similar to First Nations peoples in the USA. Horrendous poverty seems likely too, but it was already so bad in Factions that it's difficult to imagine that getting worse.

I do hate the idea of this fascist regime taking over Cantha and destroying everything, but if they remain faithful to the Movement of the World that does seem like the natural progression. Since we've been out of touch for eons, however, there could've been a revolution in that time that dismantled the Ministry. It really depends on what story the GW2 writers want to tell. All the hints they dropped seem to be relating to dragons and the problems the world is facing at large, so I'm not sure if we'll zero in on Canthan politics too much. Could be wrong though.

HoTs explored entirely new territory in a verdant and largely unexplored landscape. PoF focused on how Joko's reign has devastated the cultures of the region and attempted to homogenize it as much as possible, but also showed how many had grown accustomed to his rule. EoDs seems like it will focus on some pretty huge lore revelations based on comments the devs have said, but there really are no hints on how Cantha has changed or not within that trailer.

But seeing how GW2 is being built for mounts now, I'm fairly confident the cities and maps in EoDs will have multiple levels.

I'm inclined to think that the architecture of the teaser trailer may be showing Shing Jea rather than Kaineng, at least until I've a reason to think otherwise. Bast is hopefully correct about the state of the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest, as in they've partially but not fully reverted to their natural states. However as per the current lore there'd likely not be much of a presence of the Luxons and Kurzicks in those regions, or perhaps they wouldn't see recognized as such as they were forcibly assimilated into the larger Canthan culture (though a few hidden holdouts might be a possibility). As for Kaineng itself...not sure if I can hazard to guess. Logically a isolated and heavily repressive nation would stagnate so the City would look just bad if not worse but I'm not inclined to think that Anet would go that way.

I think Kaineng (or New Kaineng) can be quite different than what we saw in GW1. Depending on whether they want to retain that "Kowloon Walled City" look, it can also branch off there to either a taller and more labyrinthic rendition that would make Tangled Depths a walk in the park or, if they want to get rid of it, something more like Tokyo.

It looks like the Jade Sea has "melted," so there are good potentials for great sceneries.

I hope they retain Shing Jea as it was: a quiet monastery with a pastoral look.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:If the teaser is anything to go by, it hasn't changed one dang bit, possibly the same since pre-Winds of Change even given the purple mist mirroring Miasma.

I still doubt Cantha will look exactly the same as GW2. The build design may stay the same but there may be expansions or renovations of certain areas since back in GW1 a lot of the City was mostly makeshift buildings in residential areas unless it was in the market locations and/or closer to the palace.

Those designs are not built to last but to be easily replaced and repaired.

As for the purple miasma, I still uncertain if it is really miasma or just mists painted purple for artist creativity considering how colorful they wanted the teaser trailer.

There's one theory I heard recently that what we see in the trailer is a vision of the past, so it could be showing us Cantha as it formerly was vs what it looks like currently. But I doubt they'll stray far from the design formula they already established. Perhaps, at the very least, draw inspiration from a different era of architecture in China, Japan, Korea, etc.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:If the teaser is anything to go by, it hasn't changed one dang bit, possibly the same since pre-Winds of Change even given the purple mist mirroring Miasma.

I still doubt Cantha will look exactly the same as GW2. The build design may stay the same but there may be expansions or renovations of certain areas since back in GW1 a lot of the City was mostly makeshift buildings in residential areas unless it was in the market locations and/or closer to the palace.

As for the purple miasma, I still uncertain if it is really miasma or just mists painted purple for artist creativity considering how colorful they wanted the teaser trailer.

I think the purple mist is representing the spirit realm.The Nahpui Quarter mission in GW1 was filled with purple mist, the mission you had to do to become Weh No Su.

My guess is that the voice talking to Kuunavang has close ties to the spirit realm.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

I was more making a satirical comment about how folks are focusing so much on the trailer's looks to guess what End of Dragons is about (particularly in other threads trying to link that purple mist to Lyssa).

The purple and light blue are all pretty clearly just stylistic aspects to make the trailer abstract. Even Kuunavang is looking very stylistic and not GW2-artstyle. The designs are GW1 based because they're either not ready or unwilling to show GW2 designs.

Though given how heavy they're pulling up nostalgia though, it really wouldn't surprise me if Cantha is unchanged from Factions...

I actually expecting it to be quite different, stuff underwater (like TOA was) not for any reason other than the political mess that has stopped it before :Quote from wiki regarding the DR area' At one point during development, this area was originally a completed Canthan district and included a blend of Asian architectures. However, this mix of styles received negative feedback from China and Korea 'I'm sure they won't go down the route of upsetting any one, especially in these times.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I was more making a satirical comment about how folks are focusing so much on the trailer's looks to guess what End of Dragons is about (particularly in other threads trying to link that purple mist to Lyssa).

The purple and light blue are all pretty clearly just stylistic aspects to make the trailer abstract. Even Kuunavang is looking very stylistic and not GW2-artstyle. The designs are GW1 based because they're either not ready or unwilling to show GW2 designs.

Though given how heavy they're pulling up nostalgia though, it really wouldn't surprise me if Cantha is unchanged from Factions...

I suspect the upcoming Vision of the Past 2 may give us a better understanding of the Teaser trailer.

The teaser trailer, in my opinion, looks almost like a vision by the way it is presented and how it has that vision like effects on the side bar of the teaser trailer.