Greatsword of guardian is good for pvp ?

Escanor.8157

@"kharmin.7683" said:There's an entire sub-forum for the Guardian profession over here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/categories/guardian You might have better luck asking those players who play that profession with more regularity.

This is the guardian sub-forum…

@Escanor.8157 said:I like greatsword for only one reason, high damage.I already have Ranger and necro only lack warrior and guardian for me to decide which is the best greatsword.

Greatsword on guard is pretty weak atm. you main damage skill (skill 2) is very hard to land on competent opponents. though it can basically 1 shot squishier builds if u set it up properly with immob on f1 (traited).

that being said, there’s basically no reason to play GS guard; burn guard just does way more damage and is also AOE

note: this is written from a pvp standpoint. in pve GS on guard is a meta option for power DH

@Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:There's an entire sub-forum for the Guardian profession over here:
You might have better luck asking those players who play that profession with more regularity.

This is the guardian sub-forum…Thanks. I made that suggestion before the thread was moved. ;)

Okay, a bit of history. Guardian GS + sword, where big in PvP from the end of HoT till early 2019. This relied on GS dealing extremely high damage in melee. It was somewhat similar to how it works in PvE. Not only GS2 dealt extremely high damage, AA and symbol also dealt significant damage. Anyone who tried to butt heads with you, in melee has to content with this. GS itself acted as a deterrent from enemies tunneling you in melee range. So, even though GS has only 1 unreliable, long CD pull, you only needed few AA hits, and landing GS2 every once in a while, to be effective. It worked well, especially in team fights, where allies can CC for you.

Since GS skills did not change, the RI nerf removed any viability GS had. You no longer have the damage necessary to punish enemies mistakes. Compound this with the Feb 2020 patch, that made damage pathetic, GS is completely out of contention. 5-6K full damage from GS2 and 1-1.5K AA are not going to put pressure on anyone and will not provide you the space necessary to hold and execute. And since you have no reliable CC from the weapon, the other weapon or utilities, plus guardian poor mobility, you are nothing more than a big blah. You can still deal good damage in team fights, but you cannot burst or cleave. You cannot CC. You cannot chase. It does not work. And unless there is a change in GS skills, which is not going to happen, since it works extremely well in PvE, it will never be PvP viable. Unless, again, it gets a major damage boost. However, the devs still think more classes deal high damage in sPvP (LMAO). So.. I do not think GS will be PvP viable... ever again.

On the bright side, guardian GS is the strongest PvE GS weapon in the game, and probably, the strongest burst among all classes. Just symbol + GS2 can call kill almost all veteran enemies. And is AOE. You nuke the heck out of trash mobs.