Steam says singleplayer

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It also says MMO and On-line Co-op, among other things. There are many, many things I can do in Guild Wars 2 alone.

Would it not be disingenuous to leave out one of the ways content can be played?

You can't play Guild Wars 2 singleplayer. It's an MMORPG. You can only play single player in solo instances, but I guess that's enough for the tag eh?But at the same time it's important to let people know that they can play by themselves, without needing to group up or pvp.

@jokke.6239 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It also says MMO and On-line Co-op, among other things. There are many, many things I can do in Guild Wars 2 alone.

Would it not be disingenuous to leave out one of the ways content can be played?

You can't play Guild Wars 2 singleplayer. It's an MMORPG. You can only play single player in solo instances, but I guess that's enough for the tag eh?But at the same time it's important to let people know that they can play by themselves, without needing to group up or pvp.

You can in tyria (free to play) its really hard everywhere else.. and as a new customer i'd say almost impossible to solo living story and expansion content solo.

@Dante.1508 said:

You can in tyria (free to play) its really hard everywhere else.. and as a new customer i'd say almost impossible to solo living story and expansion content solo.

As long as there is just 1 other player on a map it's stll not single player though.

@jokke.6239 said:

As long as there is just 1 other player on a map it's stll not single player though.

Thats great as long as they are doing the same content you are.

@Dante.1508 said:

Thats great as long as they are doing the same content you are.

Not gonna argue with that :)

I suppose it depends on how you define single-player. Some people will use it to mean anything which can be done by one player, even if it's possible to do it with other people. Others use it only to mean games where you are literally alone in the map/game and cannot even see another player at any time.

I don't think there's an easy way to clarify that with a simple tag. It would need a longer description to explain that the game is always online and you'll always see other players but you can complete a lot of the content on your own if you want to.

The "singleplayer"-tag is part of the user-defined tags.Everyone can log in to Steam and define a game by the tags they wish, even if they don't fit the game. As the game hasn't released on Steam yet, not a lot of users have added their tags to the game, so some nonsensical ones can show up. I could add trading-card-game and turn-based for example.

The tags/genres Arenanet has defined on Steam are the following: Adventure, Free to Play, Massively Multiplayer, RPG.

@"Nightcore.5621" said:On the steam website it says the game can be played at singleplayer. Not really they make it sound like you can play offline mode or something.... U sure cant play this game alone

Everybody that use Steam know that they should read reviews from both other players and from curators to get a picture of what kind of game it is. GW2 forum is also possible reach without being a member from google or any other search engine. To find out what this game is about and what to expect. Most Gamers know that categories often can not be exact on Steam for how game really work and MMO players know that there is things that can be done solo for most part and other where you need to have help from other players.

As for GW2 being single player, well most MMO have elements you can do solo and in this game Personal Story which later turns into Living World is for the most part in single player mode (you can have other people to join as a group to help out, but there is only one owner of an instanced story mode, so every player in group have to change who is the instance owner to get full reward for story progression and achievement.)

As an example I have soloed camps in WvW for some time now, done roaming and PUGged (meaning group of player without any voice or very limited communication) towers, keeps and SM as a solo player. Same as for events and meta in GW2. It is still possible to call it single player as you don't need to run in a group (party or squad), if you have knowledge of what will happen during events/meta.

We also have mentor tag for those who want to call attention for things that are a bit too much for themselves to manage, but don't want to interact with people in a organised way or use party or squad for it.

Hearts is are in many ways solo tasks that most beginners do as solo and some can be repeated (in PoF). In short there are a lot single player activities that can be done in this game and this is not special for just GW2. Zenimax Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) do also have similar structure where you can do solo most part of story in open world (dungeons are another story as those also have their own story and world building connected to the rest of game - they work on same level as Living World in GW2.)

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/dungeons(Forgot that ESO also have delves and public dungeons among other, so there is overlap between difficulty and where one can manage as solo player and where one need to have other player to help out).

@Danikat.8537 said:I suppose it depends on how you define single-player. Some people will use it to mean anything which can be done by one player, even if it's possible to do it with other people. Others use it only to mean games where you are literally alone in the map/game and cannot even see another player at any time.

I don't think there's an easy way to clarify that with a simple tag. It would need a longer description to explain that the game is always online and you'll always see other players but you can complete a lot of the content on your own if you want to.

In this game we don't need to compete with other players about loot, chests or even farming nodes like harvesting plants, cutting wood from tree or mining ore. In ESO PvE you have to be the first to open a chest, to farm nodes etc, so GW2 from that view is more a single player as what you do will not have a negative impact on other player which can happen in ESO. Player that leave low worth items in chests and nodes that work in game also as containers (meaning that there is more then one tupe items to get from farming that node and when you interact it opens as a chest and can you can pick what you want which you can't in GW2 for farming nodes) have been a common complaint for a long time on ESO forums.