No Mac 32-bit support any more?! Help!

I run the Mac 32-bit client, and it works very well in general...once I get it started. Lately my log-in app has been crashing on startup and takes several tries to get it going. Now it's gotten worse, and often won't respond at all after the first crash till I reboot the entire computer.

So I figured it was time to try reinstalling, or running the repair app. Only I can't. Because Anet's page has support for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit, but for Mac, only the 64-bit downloads and solutions now appear.

I can't run the 64-bit app. My character ends up running around on invisible terrain, crashing into invisible obstacles, and being killed by invisible enemies due to the long load times for visuals. Why does Windows have a 32-bit option and the Mac one is being taken away?! Soon I may not be able to log in at all...at least, not in a playable version of the client.

Help!

It's probably because the 32 bit client uses Cider and I believe it is no longer a thing having been bought by Nvidia. ArenaNet probably no longer have a licence to develop or improve it.
The 64 bit is a native program so it should improve once all the problems have been ironed out. I do feel your pain though. I have a fairly good IMac and the 64 bit was slow and laggy and mostly unplayable. However, I bought an external SSD and transferred the game to it and it is so much better.There is a large forum thread on the 64 bit version. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/666/feedback-guild-wars-2-mac-64-bit-client/p1You should add your feedback to it as I believe it is being monitored and hopefully our complaints will mean a better game experience for us - eventually.

If you look at the last page or so (page 4 on my computer) of that discussion I linked, there is some information from the developer on what file to copy across. Don't do what I did and download the whole darned thing :)

I got a 250 gb Samsung but you wouldn't need that much. I figured I can use it as a backup disk for Time Machine when (or if) the Mac client works properly and I no longer need it.

I ordered a SSD drive and an external enclosure. (possibly throwing good money after bad) and will see how it goes when it gets here.

I read the forum, but I am not very techy. It might be simpler to just go ahead and download the whole thing. But if I understand correctly, the app will still try to read all the data from the 32-bit client, still on the hard drive, unless I delete, or possibly just relocate it. Not eager to delete it until the 64-bit has proven itself playable. (My game info is stored online, right? I won't lose my characters & stuff by deleting the app?)

Thanks for the advice!

Well, got the solid state drive and installed it today. (Downloaded the whole game onto the drive.) It is playable! The map load times are amazingly short. No more invisible terrain! It does take a while for guild hall decorations to appear, and some NPCs were invisible, but that's nothing I havem't seen in the 32-bit version as well.

On the down side, animation was stuttery and had constant micro-freezes, whenever: A. There were lots of background details (Lily of Elon) B. There were lots of people (Looting Tarir's basement) or C. Going fast. (Raptor riding not as fun this way.)Also, I found some inconvenient bugs involving using the left control key and the movement arrows at the same time.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will probably keep using the 32-bit as long as it will run, but it is good to know I have an option when it dies for good, and with any luck by then the 64-bit will be working better.

That is excellent news @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" . The loading times are great aren't they? I no longer want to hit my head on the desk because I forgot and left my character in Lion's Arch and have to endure that horrible wait. In fact, now I cool my heels waiting for my friend who plays on a PC to arrive.

I am sorry you still have the stuttering and freezes. Mine is not too bad. There is the odd bit of lag and flickering from the leaves but compared to how it was before I transferred to the SSD, it is amazing. It is true that the 32 bit is smoother but it has evil in its heart :) It dumped me to the desktop right before the end of a story mission and that is the day I swore I would not use it again. For all the faults of the 64 bit, it stays the distance. I have even set the graphics a bit higher too so I now can see other players in their sparkling glory rather than the basic pink/grey model.

Hopefully the 64 bit Mac product will keep on improving so we can at last have a decent playing experience.

• 1 year later...

Archived