Message to CMC/Dev team regarding EotM

Strider.7849

EotM is currently in a state of very little to nonexistent usage. Its a very well designed and fun map that helped with a lot of the imbalance in terms of low WvW population servers and allows for more fun engagements both in large-scale and smallscale PvP like how the game used to be, before the warclaw, gliding, etc.

If you could please add the ability to gain tickets/pips in EotM. It would repopulate the map and allow players who prefer play without the use of mounts and gliding to enjoy that environment again and still be able to work towards goals such as legendary armor.

It's a well designed map in my opinion and is structured much better than the desert borderlands as it operates similar to that of alpine borderlands in that it funnels players into each other for combat, yet offers some fun PvE elements (like turning into scorpions for seige, engaging tower/keep bosses). Unlike the desert borderlands which is highly confusing/disorientating, has random PvE mobs that both lock you in and interrupt your combat with others. While many may disagree, the frustration this causes dying over and over again, not to other players but to terrain is terrible. I'm going off track here, but please, please add this to EotM, your company spent valuable time and resources in creating this map and many players want to see it in use again, a simple addition of tickets/pips will put this back into use.

How about a more appropriate way to utilize EoTM:

• Add back in character experience
  • Keep reward tracks active
  • Place instructional pop ups around siege, gates, doors etc for education
  • Allow ONLY sub level 80 toons there. (I would actually make it sub level 60 but..
  • make it a WvW tutorial location where people could go to learn more about the mode.
  • Allows characters to level their toon if they chose.

Skirmish rewards don’t belong there.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:How about a more appropriate way to utilize EoTM:

• Allow ONLY sub level 80 toons there. (I would actually make it sub level 60 but..
  • make it a WvW tutorial location where people could go to learn more about the mode.

Ohh I like this. WvW training grounds basically.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:But again, repopulating EoTM means depopulating WvW.

Is that what we want?

Players dont grow like magical mushrooms, they got to come from somewhere and it probably wont be from sPvP, PvE, fractals or raiders.

they had to lessen the WvW population recently to try and address lag, so adding new maps would probably fix the lag issues and split the player base to make it so less zerging and more fighting. This would mean that the maps wouldn't constantly lag regardless of the rig you run because of connectivity issues, Depopulation is happening acrossed the game regardless of what people think or say. See it all the time. Maps that once had tons of people are ghost towns, some instances likely aren't the same as the phasing is wonky but still... Id rather have a TON of WvW maps and sparce roaming on them with the zergs circulating through the maps jumping to where they can do the most damage, than what we currently have. Because what we have now at times is just unplayable with how bad the lag and horrendous connection issues get, which need to addressed before the steam-release unless they want to be "mostly negative" in the review section.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:How about a more appropriate way to utilize EoTM:

I like the idea Id like to add a few, if you don't mind.

• Put ALL of the rewards, infusions included into their respective reward tracks. This way they are more lucrative than they are now and just make it that you have a chance to get X at specific tiers of the track; And at the end you can unlock pieces of say the requiem armor or some such thing.
  • Push the mist-lord weapons? I believe they are called to be precursors to legendary weps which just have a mist effect on them, nothing insanely fancy but just a way to obtain legendary status for those who couldn't care less about the skins but want to utility.
  • Add in a full set of legendary jewlery (This is for all the of the modes not just wvw) to each mode, to encourage people to play what and how they like and not be forced into one anothers space.
  • Offer some unique cosmetics linked to WvW, I know we have a few.... but some newer ones with current guild wars 2 aesthetics (armor has gotten better) would be neat. You could even add armors from guild wars 1 through WvW as the mists exist outside of time, and are ever present. King adleburn and prince rurik armor would be sick, as would shiro's or Khelbrons. This would do a lot of good for the mode me thinks~

I'd rather that EotM be upgraded and then integrated into "real" WvW more effectively.

EotM 2.0:

• Matches last for 1 hours and occur every 3 hours (1 per WvW skirmish).
  • Matches reward bonus WvW experience to the winning players.
  • Entrance to EotM is only through regular WvW spawn points.
  • Kills in EotM reward additional bonus points to WvW server.
  • PPT values in EotM are reduced.
  • A maximum of 40 players per side can participate at any time.
  • There are no waypoints available if you die, to respawn you must return to a regular WvW map and re-queue.

What this does is, if EotM is popular it can produce lots of bonus score for your team. Individuals are motivated to get the personal rewards of participating and the group rewards of winning the match. If EotM isn't that populated it will have less impact on the score (because most of the score bonuses come from player kills). You also can't easily game the system, because other players will replace you if there is a queue and you are intentionally dying to give another server score.

@Dawdler.8521 said:But again, repopulating EoTM means depopulating WvW.

Is that what we want?

Players dont grow like magical mushrooms, they got to come from somewhere and it probably wont be from sPvP, PvE, fractals or raiders.

Keeping the gamemode stale is the main factor in depopulating wvw. Making changes and incentivizing people to play in EotM might actually keep people playing longer.

EoTM is an Overflow for WvW, which was used for Karma Trains in the end.

At least nowadays it is used for GvGs or BvBs in the EU. For the former; people used to use the Guild arenas which were inconvenient, to fight other guilds in a different matchup and the latter is if your Server has a dead match up or long queues.

It would need to be redesigned to be a functional WvW map in it's current state. So just bringing back WXP and rewards, unless it's less than what you get from a normal WvW instance, wouldn't be a good decision.

The only thing that isn't present in EoTM is skirmish tracks and actual productiveness towards helping your server/link.Think of EoTM as unranked PvP vs ranked PvP.

There's still tomes from the reward tracks , so unless your idea is to boost the amount of tomes I don't understand the need for character experience. If the playing field is to be leveled a bit more in EoTM, just disable any +5 WvW infusion effects, karka potions (+150 toughness) , utility/food bonuses that aren't reward track/ magic find / exp, and scale everyone to exotics.

The reason why EoTM isn't all that appealing right now is most servers aren't queued except at reset.

I don't think some players understand how EoTM works.

It was designed as an overflow map which uses teams and instancing, so when you go there you aren't playing for your server, only your team of red, green or blue depending on the region matchups that week. Ideally, this is how all of WvW would function (with Alliances or w/e), but since it doesn't, if they made EoTM popular again it would just be an endless funnel of players into it and out of the other maps because it has no caps (due to instancing), and no server woes, due to not being based upon the active matchup.

Yes, something should be done with it. But the suggestions in this thread won't work, only make things worse. The only way EoTM would work is if it was integrated into the existing system as an overflow only (or alternative) to EBG.

And if you think many players would play it without mounts and gliding , you're likely mistaken. Its only those features that would truly flesh out EoTM and make it worth playing, the terrain is extremely frustrating for many, and player uptake/retention is one of the biggest issues that WvW is facing due to the game's age and the problems the game mode has either always had or developed recently.

There's no reason to make things harder than they have to be, especially when the goal is PvP, not PvE.

Back long ago in the before times, I did ask for a "training grounds" to help train new players and get them accustomed to wvw - maybe it might come into fruition onto eotm instead of a seperate lobby type area. I don't mind either as long as I can help newer players, and if it's an area they can do it without any pressure and just to practice, that is fine too (like building catas and using supply without getting screamed at etc). I missed quite a few of the streams of devs playing wvw so it's kind of nice to hear some considerations like this. Whether it happens is another story.Edit: I guess if they wanted to add a training grounds to eotm it'd have to be on an "island" connected to spawn or something.

imo EotM needs a workover and and upgrade to a real map, isn't like magic or sth alike. Wvw is so starved out on content these days anyways.

t1-t3 on EU however have quite high activity overall tho

@ tygathat happens overall quite rare. acutally, idk barely anything about guildfights there in the past year. we had like one day some. then, last saturday, people did a blobVSblob there, which was a trash timing considering weekend has overall a huge playercount, but our population-count is generally bad.

Just bring it in as another map, so we have Four borderland maps. With Edge of the mists as a map being the only one that we all start off with no objectives, completely neutral. OR make it a map that takes one of the alpine maps as two alpine maps is one too many in my opinion; We could go with one alpine, one edge and one desert and then it would at least feel distinct and different enough to warrant its existence.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:imo EotM needs a workover and and upgrade to a real map, isn't like magic or sth alike. Wvw is so starved out on content these days anyways.

@ tygathat happens overall quite rare. acutally, idk barely anything about guildfights there in the past year. we had like one day some. then, last saturday, people did a blobVSblob there, which was a trash timing considering weekend has overall a huge playercount, but our population-count is generally bad.Dude I‘m scrimming on edge of the mists 3 times a week 2 hours every evening. I would recommend joining the gvg Discord. The scene is pretty active. I would even say 4 times a week scrims sun, mon, wedn, thurs and blob vs blob on the weekends.GvG discord: discord.gg/uyuPxCN

@Tyga.7056 said:

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:imo EotM needs a workover and and upgrade to a real map, isn't like magic or sth alike. Wvw is so starved out on content these days anyways.

@ tygathat happens overall quite rare. acutally, idk barely anything about guildfights there in the past year. we had like one day some. then, last saturday, people did a blobVSblob there, which was a trash timing considering weekend has overall a huge playercount, but our population-count is generally bad.Dude I‘m scrimming on edge of the mists 3 times a week 2 hours every evening. I would recommend joining the gvg Discord. The scene is pretty active. I would even say 4 times a week scrims sun, mon, wedn, thurs and blob vs blob on the weekends.GvG discord: discord.gg/uyuPxCN

I just wish they could figure out a way for guilds on the Same server to fight..

It could be a good practice for servers to get better and, honestly, if alliances takes place (yeah I know, I am laughing at myself for even suggesting it., ) it would help Alliance guilds to work on helping each other get better.