G-Sync not working right since August nVidia driver.

I'm really stumped on this one. I use my monitor's FPS overlay function to verify when G-sync isn't working. (When it reads as a perfect 144FPS and I can see obvious stuttering, that's an indicator).

If I clean install the August nvidia driver, GW2 works perfectly, and is always using G-Sync. Everything is fine. Driver version 385.41.

If I use any driver beyond this point, the game essentially breaks on every single map load screen in that it kills g-sync. I've also noticed sometimes it either displays the Windows desktop for a second when running in Fullscreen mode, or if running in Windows Fullscreen mode, the game performance gets stuck around 15FPS until I alt tab back and forth. Alt tabbing is the only cure here, and it's required every single map change. I recall GW1 doing this but not GW2. I have tried every combination I can think of, of the following:

nVidia Shadowplay overlay on or offWindows 10 Game Mode and DVR overlay disabled or not, as well as Game Made enabled or notSteam Overlay on and offGW2 vsync enabled or notnVidia forced vsync on or offDouble checking the game options for 144 hz and trying fullscreen or windowed fullscreenThe problem persisted in the recent Windows 10 Fall update as well as the previous major Win10 version.

I have the same issue and it only resolves itself when I alt-tab. You are not alone. Thanks for the suggestion. I reverted to Driver 385.41 and it appears to be sync'd again without a drop in FPS after loading into a new map. It didn't happen on every map but it consistently happened on loading into the Ascent to Madness. I tested it out with the old driver and although the FPS dropped it recovered to "normal" without needing to alt+tab.

I think I've at least got Windowed Fullscreen working right. Apparently there has been an issue with Windows 10 and Gsync for a long time due to a Windows setting known as Fast Startup. You must disable "Turn on Fast Startup" within the "Choose what the power buttons do" screen within the additional power options window. Reboot. I also believe I had to disable the Windows 10 Game DVR overlay. So far, I'm seeing no flickers during map load screens, no loss of window focus and no 15 fps lock. Performs great again. Of course I had to make sure my nvidia gsync setting was set to allow Windowed Fullscreen as well.

I still see that normal Fullscreen mode in this game is breaking gsync every map load and claiming perfect 144fps (it's not), but for now I don't care.

Archived