Anet: Please keep removing RNG from engineer.

Kodama.6453

Engineer has historically been the most RNG reliant class in the game. We even had a dedicated utility skill type that was relying on RNG: elixirs. Many of them were copying skills from other classes randomly, but Anet figured that RNG is not healthy nor fun in this game and therefore changed most of the elixirs over the year.

But our class has still too much unreliable and RNG based stuff, I hope that we can continue to remove these:

• Elixir X: That skill still works like the old elixirs, giving us 1 of 2 random transformations. I would like this skill to see a complete rework, which gives us just 1 guaranteed transformation like the other transformation skills. Already started a discussion about this one here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/99431/elixir-x-should-get-a-rework
  • Grenadier: Casting lesser grenade barrage when you are using a healing skill. The distribution of the grenades is random. You could make the trait proc an explosion in an AoE around the engineer when healing, basically like an explosive entrance that is centered on your model. Personally, I would remove the lesser grenade barrage entirely and rework this trait, affecting the next trait in this list as well. Discussed this idea here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/112649/suggestion-grenadier
  • Shrapnel: 33% chance to proc bleeding and cripple on explosions. This trait is just used together with grenades, since these create 3 explosions at once, making the trait more reliable. I would fuse this trait with grenadier.
  • Grenade Kit/Grenade Barrage: Grenades are randomly distributed. Which can make skills feel bad for both sides, especially skills like grenade barrage which can have a huge variety in damage because of this. Grenades could maybe get a reliable distribution instead, like the 3 grenades are always spread in a triangle, while all 3 AoE circles are overlapping in the middle, rewarding proper aim. Or you could make the grenade skills have 3 overlapping AoE circles in 3 different sizes, so all 3 are hitting enemies standing in the middle, while just 1-2 circles are hitting a target further away from the center. Grenade barrage is a bit hard to change, some ideas would be appreciated.
  • Mine Field: Again, random distribution of mines. Would either make the mines spread in a clear circle around the engineer or change the skill to become instant cast and then the engineer keeps dropping 5 mines while walking, kinda like mine sweeper worked in the past or how slick shoes works currently.
  • Static Discharge: That trait just works reliably with targeted toolbelt skills like surprise shot and launch personal battering ram. Don't think that it is really needed that this trait shoots projectiles in the first place, maybe it can get changed to causing an AoE electric surge emitting from the engineer, that is hitting the next 3-5 targets?

@"Kodama.6453" said:Engineer has historically been the most RNG reliant class in the game. We even had a dedicated utility skill type that was relying on RNG: elixirs. Many of them were copying skills from other classes randomly, but Anet figured that RNG is not healthy nor fun in this game and therefore changed most of the elixirs over the year.

In my oppinion, the less RNG we have, the better, so I definitely agree with this. I hate when random procs kill me, or my enemy, or when duels won or failed on a dieroll. Back then when Rampage was busted, and Tornado was garbage, I often heard engies saying "Damn, I died because I got unlucky.", or the counterpart, having a 15 second long "I win" transformation.

But our class has still too much unreliable and RNG based stuff, I hope that we can continue to remove these:

Definitely agree. Elixir X and U used to be utility skills, transformations, and wall skills stolen from other classes, and on an RNG base. U got fixed over time, X is still the same.

• Grenadier: Casting lesser grenade barrage when you are using a healing skill. The distribution of the grenades is random. You could make the trait proc an explosion in an AoE around the engineer when healing, basically like an explosive entrance that is centered on your model. Personally, I would remove the lesser grenade barrage entirely and rework this trait, affecting the next trait in this list as well. Discussed this idea here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/112649/suggestion-grenadier

Agree with reworking the trait. I personally hate on-heal damage effects, so I would avoid proccing an EE like ability on heal.

• Shrapnel: 33% chance to proc bleeding and cripple on explosions. This trait is just used together with grenades, since these create 3 explosions at once, making the trait more reliable. I would fuse this trait with grenadier.

And you would also remove the cripple from it, so it can't be spammed, according to your rework idea. That would free up a grandmaster slot, maybe something to boost bomb kit, or generally something. I wouldn't mind a change like that.

• Grenade Kit/Grenade Barrage: Grenades are randomly distributed. Which can make skills feel bad for both sides, especially skills like grenade barrage which can have a huge variety in damage because of this. Grenades could maybe get a reliable distribution instead, like the 3 grenades are always spread in a triangle, while all 3 AoE circles are overlapping in the middle, rewarding proper aim. Or you could make the grenade skills have 3 overlapping AoE circles in 3 different sizes, so all 3 are hitting enemies standing in the middle, while just 1-2 circles are hitting a target further away from the center. Grenade barrage is a bit hard to change, some ideas would be appreciated.

I have no strong feelings for, or against grenades random spread. The more important abilities are usually used in melee range, where the spread gets reduced greatly, because there is close to no fly distance.

• Mine Field: Again, random distribution of mines. Would either make the mines spread in a clear circle around the engineer or change the skill to become instant cast and then the engineer keeps dropping 5 mines while walking, kinda like mine sweeper worked in the past or how slick shoes works currently.

Again, no strong feelings for, or against. This change would have a really small impact in both PvP and PvE. I could see this becoming a small DPS increase on some bosses, if it reliably put every mine in from of the engineer, in a smaller radius.

• Static Discharge: That trait just works reliably with targeted toolbelt skills like surprise shot and launch personal battering ram. Don't think that it is really needed that this trait shoots projectiles in the first place, maybe it can get changed to causing an AoE electric surge emitting from the engineer, that is hitting the next 3-5 targets?

I'm against this one. SD builds are usually built glassy, so they need the distance. This trait is usually used with Surprise Shot, Launch Personal Battery Ram, and/or Particle Accelerator. All of these are ranged abilities.The trait could be improved, if it always launched the discharge towards you current target, no matter the direction you look. People would have to learn to de-target before using Toss S in that case.

• Toss Elixir B is missing from the list. It would be nice if this one got its RNG component removed, and either give one of the boons for a normal duration, or all of them for a short duration, or getting a rework, while keeping the stability.

@wasss.1208

About static discharge, I can see where you are coming from, but to be fair, I didn't mention the range of that static discharge ability. I think they could make it cover a big area, but make the electric surge at a slower speed to allow enemies to properly react to it.I think scrapper and holosmith could also benefit from a potential rework of this trait, but maybe we can keep it as is, it was just my own opinion.

• 2 weeks later...