New Mount for Icebrood Saga

Cruxx.3186

Hello everyone,

I want to share my ideas for a new mount with you. The Dolyak Mount. It can be implemented very good since we are in cold areas of the shiverpeaks. As we get closer to fighting jormag, there might be cold winds, that make our mounts become damage. A Dolyak Mount could be resistant to the cold. It should be fairly big, so that Norn and Charr Races finally get a mount that is actually fitting sizewise. The Dolyak shouldnt be that fast, but it should be tanky! Theres nothing more annoying than getting demounted in newer Maps, Dolyaks could have 3 times more health than the other Mounts.Riding Dolyaks also isnt anything new in Tyria. If you look at the Hoelbrak loading screen, you can see Norn riding Dolyaks on the bottom right. In my opinion it would add something exciting to the Icebrood Saga, because almost everybody likes Mounts and after having pretty boring Icebrood masteries at this point (in my opinion).

So Dolyak features summarized:

• Big (like the shiverpeak dolyaks we know)
  • slow, but with a lot of health
  • resistant to cold

How do you like my idea? :)

I am all on board for a Dolyak mount

I think it might need more reasons to exist though. I like the cold resistance idea definitely. The tanky thing isn't something I think is a big deal because slow/tanky tends to balance with fast and small health. I'd like it to have 2 person capability, but I think that's outside of scope now.

Perhaps a mechanic versus mobs that would stun or pushback things as they were headbutted/trampled/charged, but didn't cause much - if any damage (like that Berserker kick skill which knocks mobs into each other)

I think though if it isn't in the plan, it wont happen now. I suspect all the Icebrood Saga is planned out

But yes, I like the idea

@kharmin.7683 said:I'm not sure how many people will want a slow mount.

I agree that interest would probably be low because of speed. The novelty of having it carry a second person could sell it more but as stated above there are likely technical limitations to that. I would love it for carting my kids around in game but I doubt the majority of our community game with young children. All that said, it feels wrong that there are dolyaks in Tyria and we can't simply jump on them and ride... Oooooo ambient mounts, there's a fun idea!

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:I'm not sure how many people will want a slow mount.

I agree that interest would probably be low because of speed. The novelty of having it carry a second person could sell it more but as stated above there are likely technical limitations to that. I would love it for carting my kids around in game but I doubt the majority of our community game with young children. All that said, it feels wrong that there are dolyaks in Tyria and we can't simply jump on them and ride... Oooooo ambient mounts, there's a fun idea!

I used to do this with my kid in Wizard101. She had a dual-person mount and would take us wherever she wanted/needed to go. Several complaints on their forums about the dual-person mount though where the rider often had motion sickness symptoms.

I like your effort in thinking up a new mount and a Dolyak is cool. However I think Tanky will not nearly be enough since players will use a Jackal to pretty much avoid any aggro they could ever get. A Skyscale is also very good in avoiding aggro tbh.

I think to make the Dolyak interesting, it should function as a mobile bank/storage. It is a Pack animal after all. So extra storage and ease of access to bank. It would nullify the Bank access thingies from the chests and the Permanent one but maybe that can be worked out. Probably would also interfere with Shared Inventory slots....

Maybe it should just function as an extra storage Unit outside of the bank so people can not use their real bank by using the Dolyak, but that sounds a bit cumbersome, to have two places where you can store stuff. ok sounds difficult to implement without affecting other Utilities.

Or maybe the Dolyak could have a "Return to Stable" button, i.e. a once per 30 minutes Teleport to a previous location you have set.

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I like your effort in thinking up a new mount and a Dolyak is cool. However I think Tanky will not nearly be enough since players will use a Jackal to pretty much avoid any aggro they could ever get. A Skyscale is also very good in avoiding aggro tbh.

I think to make the Dolyak interesting, it should function as a mobile bank/storage. It is a Pack animal after all. So extra storage and ease of access to bank. It would nullify the Bank access thingies from the chests and the Permanent one but maybe that can be worked out. Probably would also interfere with Shared Inventory slots....

Maybe it should just function as an extra storage Unit outside of the bank so people can not use their real bank by using the Dolyak, but that sounds a bit cumbersome, to have two places where you can store stuff. ok sounds difficult to implement without affecting other Utilities.

Or maybe the Dolyak could have a "Return to Stable" button, i.e. a once per 30 minutes Teleport to a previous location you have set.

I like your idea of storage on a mount but it would be difficult to do right like you said. Maybe it behaves like a bag that only allows certain things like portable way stations or consumable buff objects?

@Astyrah.4015 said:extra storage is pretty lore-fitting for a dolyak mount something you and a party member can access (make it 5~10 slots storage) like a pack dolyak you can mount and dismount (without it disappearing)

Or, maybe dismounting will allow it to remain in the world for a set period, like a banner or food tray, unless you mount up on it again?

I think cold resistance, slow and tanky are good but not enough to make the mount fun.If it could also be a multiperson mount...

Maybe we could have one person controlling the dolyak, and then several other players can pile on, but they get some ranged attacks they can use (it would be fantastic if the players' own ranged skills still worked).

And maybe we get a map meta through a bitter cold area where everyone needs to get on a dolyak to cross the frozen mountains, fighting off hordes of enemies while mounted, with some players navigating the dolyak through the rugged pass and the rest trying to dps/cc the mobs while mounted, trying to protect the dolyak. So for like fifty players there are like one to two dozen dolyaks trying to make it through the pass.

It would be a pretty map-specific mount, but we have plenty of map-specific masteries and this at least sounds like a fun take on that to me.

I like the idea of a dolyak mount, and a tanky mount and I'd be fine with it being slower. I use the jackal more often than the raptor because even when I want a bit of a speed boost I like being able to look around as I'm running along and find the raptor a bit too fast. Sometimes I even use the warclaw in PvE because I'm not actually in a hurry, I just feel like using a mount instead of walking. I agree it's probably not necessary but I think it would be fun.

I like the storage idea too, although I'm not sure how it would work in practice. I think it would have to be something in addition to the current options rather than replacing any of them, but I'm not sure what would be possible to program. As I understand it mounts replace the character model with one of the character + mount, they don't really exist as a separate thing so I'm not sure how you could access additional storage space while mounted. But if it can be done it would be a useful addition.