Haven't play GW2 for 5 years now . So what to do now — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Haven't play GW2 for 5 years now . So what to do now

kingofdeath.4920kingofdeath.4920 Member ✭✭
edited September 8, 2020 in Players Helping Players

Hi there, i haven't play GW2 since HoT release . I want to return but idk if it will be hard for me to return since everything has changed a lot . So are there any tips on how to get back into the game . I'm also trying to look for a guild that i can have fun/play with .
Thank you guys for answering my stupid questions (English is my 3rd language so sorry for my bad English)

Comments

  • Same tip I give to new players - take it slow, learn a class from 0 to 80 without using instant-80 boost. In particular, minion necromancer and longbow/greatsword ranger are still extremely forgiving classes that allow you to solo just about everything with a low risk of death.

    If you have Path of Fire, it helps some players to skip ahead to first chapter of Path of Fire so you can access mounts. I personally recommend just doing things in order, but if Heart of Thorns proves too hard for you to play as it was designed, maybe getting mounts will help.

  • paShadoWn.5723paShadoWn.5723 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2020

    If i guessed from your nickname correct that you will be playing necromancer it now is in a very good spot for beginners due to introduction of a Blood Bank trait in Blood Magic mastery which converts overheal to barrier. Just spam heals/drains before charging in and you shall be okay.

    Another advice is not to go out of beginner zones immediately on achieving minimal required level, overleveling does makes play more comfortable.

    And do not go into any PvP before reaching lvl 80 and having guildies to team with, there they will maul you and take your body parts as trophies.

  • @paShadoWn.5723 said:

    And do not go into any PvP before reaching lvl 80 and having guildies to team with, there they will maul you and take your body parts as trophies.

    Eh the effectiveness of guild teams is pretty questionable, outside of more well-known pvp guilds. Every time I see a guild team on the other side of a match, it's generally an easy win for me.

  • Your random teammates can take your body parts as well.

  • So like is necromancer in a good spot right now in PVE and in raid ?

  • Astyrah.4015Astyrah.4015 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kingofdeath.4920 said:
    So like is necromancer in a good spot right now in PVE and in raid ?

    it's not meta in raids or t4 fractals but it's decently accepted you just have to do decent dps so practise at the training golem (would be nice if you had ArcDPS too it helps a lot) -- read the guide for the builds to understand the rotation (why this skill goes first, what if it's on CD, the priorities, etc.)

    for raids check out:
    https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/necromancer/reaper/power/
    https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/necromancer/scourge/condition/
    https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/necromancer/scourge/heal/

    for fractals check out:
    https://discretize.eu/builds/necromancer/power-reaper


    for dungeons, openworld pve, tier 1~3 fractals: necro is more than fine :)

    for WvW and PvP i hear scourge is nice so you'll be mostly fine as necro wherever you go

  • kingofdeath.4920kingofdeath.4920 Member ✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020

    Is there any class i should have in order to fill in different role in raid/ fractal (like heals or tank in raid etc ) or bring some utility to help team i'm just scared of people telling me to switch or they asked me to play something else that necro doesn't offer

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020

    @kingofdeath.4920 said:
    Is there any class i should have in order to fill in different role in raid/ fractal (like heals or tank in raid etc ) or bring some utility to help team i'm just scared of people telling me to switch or they asked me to play something else that necro doesn't offer

    There are guides, both written as well as videos, for example on youtube, which explain how to get into raiding.

    That said, you might want to take it slow at first. You literally just got back into the game. Acclimate yourself, play some class you find fun. Try out the different elite specializations, I assume you have at least 1 level 80 as returning player, if not even more of a reason to first play the game before making far future plans.

    Meanwhile look for guilds which cater to new players. There are often advertisements of guilds in starter zones or major city hubs or the official forums Looking for Guild subsection (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/categories/looking-for-guild).

  • I also heard there's new game mode call strikes mission. Is it fun to do that or not

  • Astyrah.4015Astyrah.4015 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kingofdeath.4920 said:
    I also heard there's new game mode call strikes mission. Is it fun to do that or not

    fun is subjective. for some easy and being able to do whatever or come as whatever and still clear is fun, for some challenging content is fun and trivial stuff is boring.

    there are only 2 strikes as of this writing that require you to actually know whats going on to not die/fail it. they are harder but can be cheesed if your group knows the tricks and may require certain builds to be present for the group to have an easier time.

    all the other strikes are fairly/relatively easy when compared and are pretty much doable with any class/build and player skill level.

  • @kingofdeath.4920 said:
    Hi there, i haven't play GW2 since HoT release . I want to return but idk if it will be hard for me to return since everything has changed a lot . So are there any tips on how to get back into the game . I'm also trying to look for a guild that i can have fun/play with .
    Thank you guys for answering my stupid questions (English is my 3rd language so sorry for my bad English)

    its not a stupid question, here is a tip:

    go play something else, the game is worse then HoT times

  • How do i download Arcdps because i haven't used it or even heard of it before tbh :|

  • Astyrah.4015Astyrah.4015 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kingofdeath.4920 said:
    How do i download Arcdps because i haven't used it or even heard of it before tbh :|

    this video should explain a lot for you :)

  • First thing to do is actually play HoT , it will help you by thinking of how you make builds. Builds that did work in core game may not work in HoT. Some enemies are stealthed so be ready to fight them also. Masteries are very important so make sure you learn them. It may help to do some PoF get some mounts first. Do it the way you want, but it is more challenging without mounts. You can work on your elite specialization for HoT it will also help your character