Arenanet。You should build your own voice system.

Flee.5602

I dunno, I don't like voice chat personally, i've had some negative experiences in other games in the past where people get annoyed because I don't want to verbally talk to people when I play.. this was mostly back in the teamspeak days though not in Gw2.

I know it's a common thing in games but with popular software like Discord it's becoming more and more irrelevant to have voice chat systems in the games themselves.Even when there are voice systems in games most people still opt to use things like Discord instead because it's easier and better.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:And who will maintain and moderate the voice channels? I’ve played ESO which has voice channels and there always people spamming nonsense or playing music.

no doubt. Commander to manage (commander can also give others authority to manage) I think all this is temporary. You can set up groups and disband at any time. The premise is that you must be a commander.

So who's paying for it? You know things like voice coms require development time and manhours?

Not to mention maintenance , security, and server upkeep...

@Flee.5602 said:I can't think of any trouble.Because you aren't thinking past your wants (not needs).

As a company why would they implement something that requires immense development hours/time to reach the level of polish as something like Discord or Teamspeak?

In addition, they would likely require moderation of some sort or the EULA would need to be revised.

BLTC interfaces with a chrome-based web browser, how is that similar to voice coms? IN addition BLTC frequently has a delay. It'd be like running discord in a web browser at best , with that latency on top of it.

This likely won't happen, voice chat has been notorously predatory in most games.

"Gamer" adults often use it to cuss out children and teens with words they shouldn't even be hearing until they're a decade older; vile language that is harmful even to most adults. To say nothing of other people that are often abused in voice, such as girls and women whose voices are either too soft or too deep and draw rude remarks and nonconsensual flirting/catcalling.

This is the main reasons oft stated by companies to not include voice chat in their games.

ArenaNet doesn't even moderate the normal, text-based chat very well. They ran a Seize the Awkward campaign and then didn't even mod players who kept bullying the ones who did speak up, after encouraging them to..

@Flee.5602 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Game isn't built for that. I don't think it will work out quite like you imagine it if they slapped another system on top of it.

I can't think of any trouble.

really? how about trolling or griefing? atleast in the chat channels anet can ban people. How do u think they should go about monitoring what people say vocally? recording? as if there isnt legal barriers in many countries to prevent that. An un monitored chat is jsut bound to become a troll swamp

Mmhmm that's another factor.. predatory behaviour.On that alone I'd want to disable the in game voice chat and would complain if that wasn't and option.

It's just better to rely on discord if you want voice chat, it's far easier to control and restrict to avoid most common issues with in game voice chat.

Discord and the like obviates the need for in game voice comms. However adding speech to text would be interesting and would allow for faster communication with ALL players. I work with several STT APIs at my job and they are amazingly accurate. Unfortunately the licensing and/or usage fees would probably be too prohibitive at the scale needed for GW2.

@"kash.9213" said:GW2 needs more non group emotes or commands that are like Alert Targets, those are easy and fast to use and a more thorough list of commands or communication would be helpful. There's no reason to try to squeeze a big feature that most people aren't going to use.

A long time ago I asked for an easier scouting "dialogue" box so you could choose location/server/#'s/etc for a faster response than typing it out, and it would also look neater in the chat. Maybe a radial menu or a special key trigger for commanders or something.

Edit: another reason for this is also to overcome the language barrier on some mixed servers, and also for those that happened to end up on a national server without speaking that language as they usually ignore callouts in other languages, and it's not really suitable to keep alt-tabbing into google translate to decipher and retype what people say in chat back and forth.

@"Flee.5602" said:Discord Very passive。Discord requires a lot of tedious steps. And you must know the correct link. And most of the time, you will only enter the Discord of a certain guild. Narrow your communication range.

Discord literally asks you for an email/password and maybe a couple simple pieces of info and thats it. Its super simple. Knowing the correct link is also not difficult if you were given the right link. Heck, its simple to make a discord server for yourself, thus no worries about going to a "guild only" server.

Im just trying to figure out why discord is "tedious" as it really is quite simple if you are only using it to join peoples channels.

@"Jaruselka.5943" said:Discord and the like obviates the need for in game voice comms. However adding speech to text would be interesting and would allow for faster communication with ALL players. I work with several STT APIs at my job and they are amazingly accurate. Unfortunately the licensing and/or usage fees would probably be too prohibitive at the scale needed for GW2.Except most arent English native speakers so you'd probably get translations like "waste babe thirsty blues router wall drowned".

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Jaruselka.5943" said:Discord and the like obviates the need for in game voice comms. However adding speech to text would be interesting and would allow for faster communication with ALL players. I work with several STT APIs at my job and they are amazingly accurate. Unfortunately the licensing and/or usage fees would probably be too prohibitive at the scale needed for GW2.Except most arent English native speakers so you'd probably get translations like "waste babe thirsty blues router wall drowned".

I don't know, that sounds like pretty average WvW intel to me. /g