FotM and Theming

Einlanzer.1627

Something that's mildly bothered me for a long time now is what feels like the expansion and overuse of FotM as a "system" to encompass all dungeon-style content. I know this goes hand in hand with the abandonment of the original dungeon content and that's something people complain about a lot, but hear me out.

The first fractals that were released felt like they tied together to create their own immersive dungeon comprised of different abstract settings - like they were supposed to represent hazy/dreamworld echos of odd locations and memories - what you actually imagine the Mists to be comprised of.

Not long afterward, they got conceptually transformed into a dumping ground for all types of 5-man content not directly existing as part of a LW episode (from season 2 on). This broke both the original theming as well as the consistency in design by representing very specific locations telling very specific stories at very specific points in time, which in turn lead to the rationalization of "it's the new dungeon system!" and the abandonment of true world dungeons like the original 8 until raids came along. And now we have raids and fractals and no non-fractal dungeons.

Put simply, I think this was all a mistake. Dungeons like the Molten Facility and the Aetherblade Retreat should have been readded as true dungeons or as story instances instead of becoming fractals. FotM should continue to see expansion but only with theming similar to the original ones. Sunaqua Peak is a perfect example of something that should have been designed as a new independent dungeon with unique achievements and rewards telling a full immersive story like the original dungeons instead of being tossed in as a "new fractal!" And this is something that should have been happening periodically for the last 6 years in place of some of the new open world maps we got.

Sunqua peak has unique rewards and achivments tho... anyways:If all dungeon style content is accessible through 1 map (LA or MS) then ppl will appreciate it more rather than 8 diffrent dungeons in 8 diffrent random maps that u should travel to each to play the content (for ppl like me that has to wait along time in loading screen thats a very big issue...so is for every other potato pc user)Fractal of the mist represent better rewards than dungeon system. Even helps players obtain their very first ascended items. FotM also teachs players more stuff in a easier environment (t1-3) and test and challenges them abit with mistlocks and t4 and CMs while dungeons has non of that.Fractals are simply more accessible,easier to play,better place to learn and adapt, can be more challenging,has better rewards

Im not against dungeons tho... wish they would improve and add more of them in years and maybe dungeons for expansions...

@Arcaniaxs.4519 said:Sunqua peak has unique rewards and achivments tho... anyways:If all dungeon style content is accessible through 1 map (LA or MS) then ppl will appreciate it more rather than 8 diffrent dungeons in 8 diffrent random maps that u should travel to each to play the content (for ppl like me that has to wait along time in loading screen thats a very big issue...so is for every other potato pc user)Fractal of the mist represent better rewards than dungeon system. Even helps players obtain their very first ascended items. FotM also teachs players more stuff in a easier environment (t1-3) and test and challenges them abit with mistlocks and t4 and CMs while dungeons has non of that.Fractals are simply more accessible,easier to play,better place to learn and adapt, can be more challenging,has better rewards

Im not against dungeons tho... wish they would improve and add more of them in years and maybe dungeons for expansions...

I don't agree with much of this. I think people appreciate it less when it's all tied to one mega dungeon on a rotation system, and that's not even factoring in how all-over-the-place it is.