Setting expectations: Steam & Cantha release — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Setting expectations: Steam & Cantha release

Halbarz.3854Halbarz.3854 Member ✭✭✭
edited September 16, 2020 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

With the steam release coming up and next year, we are visiting Cantha a lot of threads are popping up regarding possible changes or races, classes, weapons, features, etc.
While we all love to speculate and some people have come with some really cool idea's I do think Anet should set expectations and be transparent.

Also, there is a noticeable lack of red tags posting on the forums, which is sad to see. As a community, I think we all appreciate Anet's input even if it to share some bad news.

Steam release:** (not saying there will be an update or should be, this is a reference to people discussing potential changes which could lead to unwanted hype or expectations)**

  • Share with people what the possible changes will be
  • Will, there be a patch along with the release?

Cantha release:

  • set expectations, we all want to play this but it is very dangerous to let people overhype something. Especially with the potential influx of new players who might see a lot of discussions as a certain. For example New race discussion --> some might think we are getting a new race for sure.
  • Give an update (high level) on features that are coming, so we are more aware

General:

  • Looking at for example the WvW forum section, there are a lot of questions, and yes a lot of people that are starting to think WvW has just been moved on the side.
  • Give us an update on each game mode, what can we expect. People would rather hear what you are working on and having to wait X months then receive a silence treatment.
  • Maybe another roadmap post, to give people an idea of where we are heading to. Even better if it would be per feature/mode.

I think most of us on the forums really love this game and the team working on it :)
I and many others (I believe) would love to hear more from the devs. Anet should not be the outsider and it would be great to see the team being a bigger part of the community :)

Comments

  • DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Why does the game need to change just because it will be offered on Steam? I don't know why anyone would expect it to.

    As far as the expansion, Anet has been burned in the past for providing early commentary so they are very wary about early info. If they say that "WvW alliances" is part of the package, and it is not ready when the expansion ships...well, not good. So don't expect much of anything to be announced and let it all be a surprise when it is revealed.

    X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It's far, far too early for setting Cantha/expac expectations. Some might think we are getting a new race, but that is purely on them. Anet have set their stance out before on new races and unless something changes, that stance remains. If anyone gets their expectations up for a new race, there is absolutely nothing to hold against Anet. Nothing at all.

    Why would Steam bring changes? I agree with the above poster on this one

    A roadmap post will likely follow later in the year after everything in the last one is completed. We are currently still at the tail end of said last one

    Yes it would be ncie to see ANet interact more, but they wont. They do not wish to communicate or interact extensively with the community - at least on the forums (I understand some are more open on Reddit and Discord though). That is just the way it is - sad, but they obviously have issues with the forums and the forum community.

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    My expectation for the expansion is for it to be quite buggy on release for the first two weeks as devs scramble to fix/patch things that the players will find.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    They’re better off not giving any details until whatever aspects that they’re revealing are ready. Anet has gotten burned several times in the past when they were open about their plans but some players treated changes in those plans as broken promises.

  • Astyrah.4015Astyrah.4015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2020

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    Yes it would be ncie to see ANet interact more, but they wont. They do not wish to communicate or interact extensively with the community - at least on the forums (I understand some are more open on Reddit and Discord though). That is just the way it is - sad, but they obviously have issues with the forums and the forum community.

    one would actually expect that they would interact with the community more here on the forums rather than reddit or discord (since they own/manage this space in the internet). i regularly lurk the gw2 reddit and (outside of official announcements or the like) you do see more random/casual replies by arenanet employees there than here on the forums though still not often/regular -- very seldom actually -- wish they talked and interacted with the community more

  • Halbarz.3854Halbarz.3854 Member ✭✭✭

    @DeanBB.4268 said:
    Why does the game need to change just because it will be offered on Steam? I don't know why anyone would expect it to.

    As far as the expansion, Anet has been burned in the past for providing early commentary so they are very wary about early info. If they say that "WvW alliances" is part of the package, and it is not ready when the expansion ships...well, not good. So don't expect much of anything to be announced and let it all be a surprise when it is revealed.

    The steam reference is there as some people make posts about this, what could be and etc. Speculation is good until a certain point, but the moment it goes overboard it tends to backfire. Not saying Steam should mean big patch :) maybe I worded it wrong.

  • Halbarz.3854Halbarz.3854 Member ✭✭✭

    @Astyrah.4015 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    Yes it would be ncie to see ANet interact more, but they wont. They do not wish to communicate or interact extensively with the community - at least on the forums (I understand some are more open on Reddit and Discord though). That is just the way it is - sad, but they obviously have issues with the forums and the forum community.

    one would actually expect that they would interact with the community more here on the forums rather than reddit or discord (since they own/manage this space in the internet). i regularly lurk the gw2 reddit and (outside of official announcements or the like) you do see more random/casual replies by arenanet employees there than here on the forums though still not often/regular -- very seldom actually -- wish they talked and interacted with the community more

    Exactly my point, if you look at the forums you can count the number of posts from them in the last few months on one hand. It's a shame, to be honest as I think people would love to see more interaction. To be honest, they have a forum for a reason, in my opinion, all game-related info should be available right here. We should need to go on 3rd party websites to find info :)

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Why should $team be the cause for any changes?
    If Arenanet didn't bother to make the changes by now, I doubt $team will cause any changes.

    I doubt the $team release will suddenly cause Arenanet to replace the invisible shoes with the toggle that they should have been to begin with.

  • Halbarz.3854Halbarz.3854 Member ✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    Why should $team be the cause for any changes?
    If Arenanet didn't bother to make the changes by now, I doubt $team will cause any changes.

    I doubt the $team release will suddenly cause Arenanet to replace the invisible shoes with the toggle that they should have been to begin with.

    Again as mentioned before, I am not saying there should be a patch. I am pointing out that people are talking about it and this might set wrong expectations from the community.

  • Halbarz.3854Halbarz.3854 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    They’re better off not giving any details until whatever aspects that they’re revealing are ready. Anet has gotten burned several times in the past when they were open about their plans but some players treated changes in those plans as broken promises.

    this is true but at this moment they are not communicating with their community at all.
    the only posts we get are patch notes, nobody can deny that there are a lot of questions from the community when it comes to the future of raids, WvW, etc. No update in months.

  • @DeanBB.4268 said:
    Why does the game need to change just because it will be offered on Steam? I don't know why anyone would expect it to.

    Because the new player experience is pretty bad And the only reason GW2 is coming to steam is for the player injection.
    So new player retention is important.

    But yea you aren't wrong.

  • Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I expect a dumpster fire.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Thornwolf.9721 said:
    I expect a dumpster fire.

    I expect another influx of new players insta-leveling to 80, complaining about the difficulty of the content and why they don't have all of the mounts yet.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Please no marketing guy shoving whatever is FOTM in gaming atm into class design(hi deadeye/overwatch).