Elite spec thematical fusion — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions

Elite spec thematical fusion

Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 16, 2020 in Professions

As Anet mentioned when the Path of Fire elite specs got introduced, some of them were designed to imitate the dual classing system from GW1 by mixing thematics of other classes into the elite spec.
I think this is a pretty interesting concept and I would like to know which thematical fusions you guys are most excited to see in a coming elite spec.

To show what exactly is meant here, 2 examples from the Path of Fire elite specs.

Spellbreaker -> warrior/mesmer
Instead of creating illusions themselves, a spellbreaker is able to see through illusions. On top of that is the entire anti-magic thematic of the elite spec. Countering magic has always been a strong thematic in the mesmer class, which they have now mixed in warrior with this elite spec.
In general, Anet stated that this spec represents "how would a warrior do mesmer-y things?".
Condition control would also be really fitting, taking conditions from allies and sending them to the enemy instead, which is a thematic of the necromancer.

Holosmith -> engineer/warrior
Holosmith gives engineer the "weapon master" feeling that the warrior is known for. Instead of carrying alot of weapons with themselves, a holosmith is creating weapons with the new technology of the photon forge, which allows them to use holographic swords, hammers, staves and dual wielded pistols.
Then there is also the heat mechanic, which has some resemblance thematically and mechanically with warriors adrenaline system.

Mirage -> mesmer/thief
Using the deception skills from the thief and also a changed version of thief's "stealth attacks". Instead of triggering them by stealth, it is triggered by the mirage cloak.


Now the question is, which combinations can you come up with? I want to share some of my ideas here as well.

Plaguedoctor -> engineer/necromancer
Engineer is focusing on poison gases, diseases, acids and other putrid methods. This elite spec could also use a skill type that currently is unique for necromancer, corruptions.
The engineer is using powerful and dangerous chemicals, which have great effects, but are also harming the user.

Stampede -> ranger/warrior
Hommage to the bunny thumper from the first game, rangers get access to hammers and are using earth shaking attacks to keep their enemies cced while their pets are killing them.
Getting access to physical skills, which let the ranger perform attacks based on animal thematics (think bull's rush, but with other animals).
Maybe they could also have a mechanic to enrage their pet to increase their damage.

Might add more if something crosses my mind.

Comments

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Why don't we just have an actual dual classing system but instead of sub classing some utilities, we get to pick one of the sub's core Traitlines instead.

    Obviously people shouldn't pick traitlines which focus too heavily on Profession mechanics.

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    @Yasai.3549 said:
    Why don't we just have an actual dual classing system but instead of sub classing some utilities, we get to pick one of the sub's core Traitlines instead.

    Obviously people shouldn't pick traitlines which focus too heavily on Profession mechanics.

    I think this would create way too much balancing issues.
    Now you don't just have to manage the trait lines of the class itself, but also have to consider all possible combinations with the core trait lines of other classes.

    We have 9 classes with 5 core trait lines each. Even if we exclude the trait lines which focus on the class mechanic, this still leaves us with 32 core trait lines from other classes you could combine your own with.

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    Yep, I had to go out so it was kinda rushed. In hindsight, the name isn't fiting and clones should probably be on the utilities, but torch definitely belong to a treasure hunter e-spec! The stolen skill could create a clone of the target, as well (I think something like that is likely to happen at some point).

  • Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dadnir.5038 said:

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    Yep, I had to go out so it was kinda rushed. In hindsight, the name isn't fiting and clones should probably be on the utilities, but torch definitely belong to a treasure hunter e-spec! The stolen skill could create a clone of the target, as well (I think something like that is likely to happen at some point).

    This could be an interesting twist of the concept.

    Instead of creating clones of themselves, you could create clones of the enemies which are attacking them. Basically the thief is "stealing" the shadows of the enemies and using them against them.

    Could also give the thief a "minionmancer" playstyle in some way, which the class doesn't have yet. Of all classes, just thief and warrior don't have the zoo playstyle.

  • Primal Rager - elementalist/warrior
    A resilient elementalist that smashes the earth to release the raw power within. I imagine something akin to avatar but with more brutal strength, or kinda like an earth bender so to speak. You smash the earth or do some martial arts moves to send elemental shockwaves and such. Less mobile but more durable than the average elementalist, with strong aoe close range attacks and disruption. While fighting in a given attunement, you build up rage, and when it's full, the next time you switch attunements you release a powerful burst of elemental magic relative to the attunement you're switching to.
    His support skills are "effigies", banners each attuned to an element, with party-wide effects relative to their element. You can pick the up to generate a variety of combo fields.
    Uses the hammer to properly crack the earth beneath him, and send his opponents flying in waves of magma or avalanches of frost and boulders.

    Boneblighter - necromancer/guardian
    A necromancer who uses bones to shield himself from harm and spreads diseases that sap the strength of his enemies to bolster his allies. His unique abilities are "desecrations" (guardian has "consecrations") to corrupt the ground he walks on. It would somewhat similar to wells, but always centered on the necro, it could follow him around while they last and increase their area each time the deal their respective effects. He doesn't have death shroud but gets access to the bone armor, an added level of protection that is persistent and increases the more lifeforce you have. Instead of the guardian's virtues you get plagues, that you use by spending life force (thus reducing your defenses until you build the up again) and either debuff foes or buff you and your allies, or both. So you have to juggle between mainting as much life force as you can, for maximum resilience, and spending it to control the battlefield.
    Possibly a dedicated tank spec, even if gw2 doesn't like to follow the holy trinity.
    Uses a mace in close range, to break his opponents' bones, fittingly, and weaken them so that his allies can properly finish the job.

  • hatsamu.4327hatsamu.4327 Member ✭✭
    edited September 16, 2020

    I wonder if they came up with Druid by doing a Ranger/Necro-twist. . . since the mechanic is to build up a bar and enter a form with its own skills, except it's about life instead of death.

    Since we're going to Cantha, I think a spec that homages the Assassin would be fitting since some shared themes already exist between it and the Mesmer like casting hexes, Lyssa's patronage, and Assassin even has a skill that looks like it summons phantasmal blades. It could add more spellcasting flavor to the Thief but more martial compared to Mesmer's mental theme. I'm more interested in phantasms for utilities than the passive gameplay of clones, though.

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    Yep, I had to go out so it was kinda rushed. In hindsight, the name isn't fiting and clones should probably be on the utilities, but torch definitely belong to a treasure hunter e-spec! The stolen skill could create a clone of the target, as well (I think something like that is likely to happen at some point).

    This could be an interesting twist of the concept.

    Instead of creating clones of themselves, you could create clones of the enemies which are attacking them. Basically the thief is "stealing" the shadows of the enemies and using them against them.

    Could also give the thief a "minionmancer" playstyle in some way, which the class doesn't have yet. Of all classes, just thief and warrior don't have the zoo playstyle.

    You consider Guardian and Revenant to have the minion playstyle, but you don't count Thief having Thieves Guild?

  • Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @hatsamu.4327 said:
    I wonder if they came up with Druid by doing a Ranger/Necro-twist. . . since the mechanic is to build up a bar and enter a form with its own skills, except it's about life instead of death.

    Since we're going to Cantha, I think a spec that homages the Assassin would be fitting since some shared themes already exist between it and the Mesmer like casting hexes, Lyssa's patronage, and Assassin even has a skill that looks like it summons phantasmal blades. It could add more spellcasting flavor to the Thief but more martial compared to Mesmer's mental theme. I'm more interested in phantasms for utilities than the passive gameplay of clones, though.

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    Yep, I had to go out so it was kinda rushed. In hindsight, the name isn't fiting and clones should probably be on the utilities, but torch definitely belong to a treasure hunter e-spec! The stolen skill could create a clone of the target, as well (I think something like that is likely to happen at some point).

    This could be an interesting twist of the concept.

    Instead of creating clones of themselves, you could create clones of the enemies which are attacking them. Basically the thief is "stealing" the shadows of the enemies and using them against them.

    Could also give the thief a "minionmancer" playstyle in some way, which the class doesn't have yet. Of all classes, just thief and warrior don't have the zoo playstyle.

    You consider Guardian and Revenant to have the minion playstyle, but you don't count Thief having Thieves Guild?

    Admitted, guardian doesn't have the minion playstyle anymore, so we have to add that to the list.
    They used to have it back when their spirit weapons worked as summoned entities, but this got changed.

    Revenant has the summoned spirits from the renegade elite spec, tho.

    I don't count thief because it is not really an utility type like all the other specs have, but just one single elite skill.

  • @Kodama.6453 said:

    @hatsamu.4327 said:
    I wonder if they came up with Druid by doing a Ranger/Necro-twist. . . since the mechanic is to build up a bar and enter a form with its own skills, except it's about life instead of death.

    Since we're going to Cantha, I think a spec that homages the Assassin would be fitting since some shared themes already exist between it and the Mesmer like casting hexes, Lyssa's patronage, and Assassin even has a skill that looks like it summons phantasmal blades. It could add more spellcasting flavor to the Thief but more martial compared to Mesmer's mental theme. I'm more interested in phantasms for utilities than the passive gameplay of clones, though.

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    Yep, I had to go out so it was kinda rushed. In hindsight, the name isn't fiting and clones should probably be on the utilities, but torch definitely belong to a treasure hunter e-spec! The stolen skill could create a clone of the target, as well (I think something like that is likely to happen at some point).

    This could be an interesting twist of the concept.

    Instead of creating clones of themselves, you could create clones of the enemies which are attacking them. Basically the thief is "stealing" the shadows of the enemies and using them against them.

    Could also give the thief a "minionmancer" playstyle in some way, which the class doesn't have yet. Of all classes, just thief and warrior don't have the zoo playstyle.

    You consider Guardian and Revenant to have the minion playstyle, but you don't count Thief having Thieves Guild?

    Admitted, guardian doesn't have the minion playstyle anymore, so we have to add that to the list.
    They used to have it back when their spirit weapons worked as summoned entities, but this got changed.

    Revenant has the summoned spirits from the renegade elite spec, tho.

    I don't count thief because it is not really an utility type like all the other specs have, but just one single elite skill.

    In practice though, they fulfill the same gameplay purpose. Individually, I think they're even more useful than some of the other minion types, and on DE with Payback, can be made more persistent than Renegade summons. I think it's OK to say you like the playstyle so you want more of it, but to say that Thief doesn't already have that playstyle would be incorrect.

  • InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Warden

    Ranger/Guardian

  • Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @InsaneQR.7412 said:
    Warden

    Ranger/Guardian

    That's a bit vague.

    How would you imagine that spec? What exactly is it taking from the guardian? Can it spam aegis? Is it using a hammer to create symbols on the ground? Maybe pets can pulse an effect passively on the ranger when they are chosen like virtues, with different pet archetypes representing different virtues?

  • InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @InsaneQR.7412 said:
    Warden

    Ranger/Guardian

    That's a bit vague.

    How would you imagine that spec? What exactly is it taking from the guardian? Can it spam aegis? Is it using a hammer to create symbols on the ground? Maybe pets can pulse an effect passively on the ranger when they are chosen like virtues, with different pet archetypes representing different virtues?

    Id say double mace, concecrations and more AoE weapon abilities.
    The pet gets replaced with a warding spirit you can command to ho to certain positions with ground targeting and it can be used for Damage, support or area denial in the form of wards (lines that cannot be crossed without stab).

    The type of spirit is depending on archetype and one if it's capabbilities is depending on the pet family (so the opposite of soulbeast).

    Slap in some defensive buffs and blocking abilities and we are basically done concept wise.

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2020

    @hatsamu.4327 said:

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:

    @Kodama.6453 said:

    @Dadnir.5038 said:
    Treasure hunter -> Thief/mesmer
    A thief specialized in creating shadow clones to mislead it's opponents. Would change the thief's dual skills making them clone generating skills (limit 1 clone, 2 when traited or limited in time with a hard cap of clones), torch as a thematical weapon, glamour as utilities.

    I like the idea of giving thief access to clones. Not sure about the name thematically, tho.
    "Treasure hunter" doesn't really sound like someone summoning shadow clones for me. Some people suggested something similar with the name "umbramancer".

    Yep, I had to go out so it was kinda rushed. In hindsight, the name isn't fiting and clones should probably be on the utilities, but torch definitely belong to a treasure hunter e-spec! The stolen skill could create a clone of the target, as well (I think something like that is likely to happen at some point).

    This could be an interesting twist of the concept.

    Instead of creating clones of themselves, you could create clones of the enemies which are attacking them. Basically the thief is "stealing" the shadows of the enemies and using them against them.

    Could also give the thief a "minionmancer" playstyle in some way, which the class doesn't have yet. Of all classes, just thief and warrior don't have the zoo playstyle.

    You consider Guardian and Revenant to have the minion playstyle, but you don't count Thief having Thieves Guild?

    In fact I'd say that thieves guild and the trap that summoned a thief before the trap rework make a thief e-spec with such mechanism more likely than ever.

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Necromancer/Elementalist
    The idea here would be for the necromancer to use LF to kinda attune himself to the "death attunment". In practice F1 would end up being a 10 second CD conjured weapon that need LF to keep up (A minor granting barrier when conjuring the weapon would fix lazily the Unholy sanctuary issue). Glyphs would add to the flavor with opposite effects along the line of life and death.
    Probably the laziest and most obvious possibility for a necromancer's e-spec.

    Mesmer/Necromancer
    The mesmer in GW1 was one of the few profession that had self-ailment and condition manipulation alongside the necromancer (epidemic is a mesmer skill originally). I think an e-spec based on auto-suggestion that would bind the clones onto the mesmer instead of binding them onto it's foes could be interesting.
    It might make stealth harder to use for such mesmer's specialization which wouldn't be bad as a draw back.

  • Samug.6512Samug.6512 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2020

    Engi/Rev

    Since we can enter Fractals with Asuran technology, engineers learned to compact the technology and create a miniature Rift Projector, allowing to spawn The Mists Rift. To control the rift we sacrifice 2 of our toolbelt utility skills (one button acts as move skill akin to ventari tablet, the other to opening/closing). We still have access to heal toolbelt skill, 1 utility toolbelt of our choice (tiny popup skill choose window just like for utility skills, with skills corresponding to what we have on the bar, allowing us to choose toolbelt skill out of combat), and elite toolbelt. The rift moves slowly, with the speed of character in walk mode, is untargettable and industractible, but visible for enemies. Depending on traits, it could act as support thing pulsing heals and boons, pulsing damage, some condis, or maybe big telegraphed damage every so often. Dunno, I'm bored and pulled something out of a hat. Damage pulse could act like an explosion, heal pulse could act as an elixir and benefit from corresponding traits that are already in place. Utility skills would have very powerful toolbelt skills since we can choose only 1 of those. New skill type could be a signet to ironically highlight how neither engi or rev don't have those.
    Such spec has potential to be either condi, power or support (and trait choices allow to become either) and fits the original idea behind engi being "jack of all trades".

    [NUKE]