Idea for new Griffon mastery

jokke.6239

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:So what happens when you don't let go of the dive button?

Not sure, maybe it could automaticly unmount you on impact

It should just like any other mount that contacts deep water ? except for the Skimmer.Your suggestion should bypass that on the Griffon.

Not sure what you mean? Only skimmer can currently go underwater.I don't mean umount on water surface impact? But on impact on surfaces/objects or whatever that you would hit underwater.

@jokke.6239 said:

It should just like any other mount that contacts deep water ? except for the Skimmer.Your suggestion should bypass that on the Griffon.

Not sure what you mean? Only skimmer can currently go underwater.I don't mean umount on water surface impact? But on impact on surfaces/objects or whatever that you would hit underwater.

By that you're asking the Griffon to go underwater.

@kharmin.7683 said:Why restrict this to the griffon? Why not have all mounts do this upon encountering deep water?

Not sure what the benefit would be on the other mounts?Griffon dive into water just makes sense. Both for fun gameplay and because it would make sense that a griffon would do it, like birds hunting fish by diving into water etc. I don't feel like slowly falling with a raptor down into water would be very satisfying gameplay.But sure, if it could be done and people want it? Sure, I don't see any reason for it, but for griffon it makes a lot of sense to me.

Edit: If you mean other mounts automaticly mount to skimmer on the water surface (that mounts can't walk on), then that would also be very cool

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Only when using dive skill. I'm not suggesting to be able to use a griffon underwater in any other way.

@jokke.6239 said:

Only when using dive skill. I'm not suggesting to be able to use a griffon underwater in any other way.

I don't mean umount on water surface impact? But on "impact" on surfaces/objects or whatever that you would hit underwater.

The bold part suggests the Griffon is used underwater.Edit: Specifically the word "impact". If you don't hit anything the Griffon is still in it's form unless you release the "dive" key as you suggest.

@jokke.6239 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Why restrict this to the griffon? Why not have all mounts do this upon encountering deep water?

Not sure what the benefit would be on the other mounts?Griffon dive into water just makes sense. Both for fun gameplay and because it would make sense that a griffon would do it, like birds hunting fish by diving into water etc. I don't feel like slowly falling with a raptor down into water would be very satisfying gameplay.But sure, if it could be done and people want it? Sure, I don't see any reason for it, but for griffon it makes a lot of sense to me.

Edit: If you mean other mounts automaticly mount to skimmer on the water surface (that mounts can't walk on), then that would also be very cool

No, but running across the landscape and then vaulting into the water with a raptor or jackal could then instantly swap to skimmer. Skyscale could also "drop" into the water. Just don't see why your idea should be limited to one mount.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

I don't mean umount on water surface impact?
But on impact on surfaces/objects or whatever that you would hit underwater.

The bold part suggests the Griffon is used underwater.

Yes, that were what I was suggesting

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Why restrict this to the griffon? Why not have all mounts do this upon encountering deep water?

No, but running across the landscape and then vaulting into the water with a raptor or jackal could then instantly swap to skimmer. Skyscale could also "drop" into the water. Just don't see why your idea should be limited to one mount.

I think it makes sense on water surfaces on other mounts, but not underwater.A skyscale flapping its wings to go underwater would be a bit weird.But I get it, personally it doesn't make that much sense to me, except for with griffon dive skill.

@jokke.6239 said:

I think it makes sense on water surfaces on other mounts, but not underwater.A skyscale flapping its wings to go underwater would be a bit weird.But I get it, personally it doesn't make that much sense to me, except for with griffon dive skill.

I'm saying that as soon as any mount touches a water surface that would otherwise dismount the player because of the depth of the water, that player should not be dismounted; rather, the player should instantly be swapped to the skimmer.

@Randulf.7614 said:A griffon dive bombing into the water and pulling back up into the air would be so awesome at speed

Yeah I thought about that too, would also be cool. But wasn't sure if it would create to many issues. You have to let go of the dive and use the skill to go up, so would probably take a lot of development time to implement.But if they could do it, awesome!

@kharmin.7683 said:

I'm saying that as soon as any mount touches a water surface that would otherwise dismount the player because of the depth of the water, that player should not be dismounted; rather, the player should instantly be swapped to the skimmer.

Yeah, would be awesome

@"ASP.8093" said:You can do this yourself pretty easily if you bind a "dive" key and a "mount Skimmer" key.

Griffon dive to the water line -> tap dive (so you won't spawn the Skimmer at the surface) -> mount Skimmer.

You can also walk instead of using mountsThat's an extreme example, but just because you can do something already doesn't mean there isn't a way to improve the fun and convinience of it.

@jokke.6239 said:

@"ASP.8093" said:You can do this yourself pretty easily if you bind a "dive" key and a "mount Skimmer" key.

Griffon dive to the water line -> tap dive (so you won't spawn the Skimmer at the surface) -> mount Skimmer.

You can also walk instead of using mountsThat's an extreme example, but just because you can do something already doesn't mean there isn't a way to improve the fun and convinience of it.

Actually try it, though? It's fast and fluid with just a bit of practice.

I don't think it would be a good idea to make any of the current mounts better or worse in any way anymore since people have gotten used to them and their abilities. I think the underwater ability was chosen for the skimmer because Anet didn't want to create another mount and the skimmer is an easy to unlock mount that most people will have.