Your matchmaking

yanniell.1236

Ever since they merged premades and solos into one ladder, ranked conquest wasn't a fair gamemode. For a few seasons premades were banned from the highest ratings, but they went back on that. With the playerbase deteriorating, it's more and more evident each season how unfair this system is, but honestly they don't care.They barely survived some of their projects failing last year, huge restructuring, working on a new PvE expansion... I'm pretty sure the PvP forum is just an annoyance they hardly even check on anymore.

@Shiyo.3578 said:Well my friend just quit the game after coming back due to the matchmaking. The second we get plat1 or near plat1 you IMMEDIATELY start fighting top 20 players with gold1's. The matchmaker assumes 2 plat1's are equal to 2 1800 players, it's absurd.

Aeyyy, grats! The second you hit plat1 you're usually well into top 250 nowadays. It's the crème de la crème, so long as the leaderboards don't dip as low as g3 that season.

That's probably why those top 2 legendary players that have been waiting in queue for 10 minutes get matched against you. There's not a whole lot of competition and even in being pretty good or decent, that makes you a top player in this game.I wonder why that is

The thing people need to understand is that it's both mathematically and logically impossible to make a perfect matchmaking system due to the reality of player population. No matter how good the system is, if population dips below a certain threshold at any given time, there isn't a lot that can be done. For instance, say you have only 10 people in Queue. 3 platinum-II players, and 7 Gold-I players. In this case, there is no way to split the teams evenly. One of the platinum players is going to get stuck with a barrel of four monkeys.

However, when it comes to duo queue in GW2 there is some serious room for improvement. Currently there is no real ratings downside to duo Q, to my knowledge it just takes the highest rating between the two players, which is both inefficient and exploitable. For instance, the higher rated player can simply switch to an alt as a form of "soft match manipulation" .

Rather than banning duo Q outright ( A terrible idea ) a more sensible solution would just give a rating penalty to duo Q past 1500 rating. It would basically treat them as anywhere between 50~150 points higher rated than they actually are for the purpose of matchmaking. So for instance:

( Player# - rating )Team Ap1- 1550 ( duo with p2 )p2- 1600 ( duo with p1 )p3- 1500p4- 1300p5- 1400Total-7350

Team Bp6- 1600p7- 1500p8- 1400p9- 1450p10- 1400Total- 7350

At first, the above may seem fair, until you realize that p1 is Helio on one of his 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 billion alts.If the matchmaking is adjusted to assume that platinum Duo Q's are generally more tryhard than other rankings and gives them an extra 100 for matching purposes, we can see that it would actually create a better match to swap p3 with p8. This may seem like a small change, but over the course of many games it should add up to a noticeable difference that would be overall more accurate, and make Duo Q less of an exploitable system and more of a tradeoff for getting to play with a friend.

@dtox.8397 said:If we had a proper (or ANY, for that matter) balance patch, we would have more players and matchmaking wouldnt be such a problem. It baffles me till this day that there are grand traits with 300 ICD.

To be fair, those traits are at 300 ICD for a good reason. They are generally on get-out-of-jail free passives, which promote the toxic and unskillful gameplay of people just rushing in and recklessly spamming DPS abilities knowing that their passive will save them if they screw up. That type of passive makes sense in casual PvE land, but have proven themselves time and time again to be stupidly broken in PvP.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

@dtox.8397 said:If we had a proper (or ANY, for that matter) balance patch, we would have more players and matchmaking wouldnt be
such
a problem. It baffles me till this day that there are grand traits with 300 ICD.

To be fair, those traits are at 300 ICD for a good reason. They are generally on get-out-of-jail free passives, which promote the toxic and unskillful gameplay of people just rushing in and recklessly spamming DPS abilities knowing that their passive will save them if they screw up. That type of passive makes sense in casual PvE land, but have proven themselves time and time again to be stupidly broken in PvP.

Yeah i get that ^^I dont want them to be low cd, i just want Anet to change it to something that ppl actually use. Not getting 1 single CC every 300 seconds doesnt seem viable.