Introduce Raptor Mount to Stop Roaming

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I don't think roaming was ever an intended activity in wvw personally. I agree with zergs (of course) and havoc groups but roaming feels like a cheap gimmick. All I ever see from players who roam are 1v1 oriented builds that are extremely overpowered vs anything else other then 1v1 builds. They usually stack Vit + Tough so that they stay alive forever and whittle other players they come across until they finally drop. Since its not SPvP, they can reset the fight for themselves an infinite number of times through, movement skills, stealth or defensive traits and the victim has nowhere to hide (unlike spvp) because the map is so open.

Most of these roamers run full ascended gear, with food + utility and completely overpowered specs + stats that are completely suited for 1v1 play (even using stats combinations that are banned in spvp because they are too imbalanced and deemed OP). They tend to mostly encounter players running back to the zerg whom are not suited for 1v1 play, or in most scenarios sub level 80's or new 80's still in greens, whom they mercilessly hack away at and grief. Yes you can argue that roamers stem the tide of reinforcements to the zerg, but really the impact is negligible and it mostly amounts to trolling and griefing, then actually bringing the server a tactical advantage, especially since wvw centers around large scale zerg battles.

I think adding the raptor would solve this type of imbalanced bullying. It would allow players to traverse the map quicker, and get back to their zerg/havoc squads faster. It would allow them to get back into action faster, making wvw more fast paced. Lastly it would completely eliminate most roamers, because its pretty hard to stop someone running by at full speed on a raptor. I think this is a change that is needed to combat an aspect of wvw that was never really intended and would bring QoL improvements to the game mode.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players running back to the Zerg are fair game. When someone needs help, wait for one or two others and work together over voice come to make it back, or wait for the Zerg.

One of the goals of the roamers is to help their squad/Zerg by limiting reinforcements. If they are doing their job well, it forces the main Zerg to return to home to pick up the stragglers.

Of course, I doubt that some will see this as their purpose.

What complete rubbish.Most roamers camp camps, dollies and sentries - they are effectively 1 person havoc groups causing disruption to the enemy.If WvW was intended to be zerg vs zerg then it would be one big open field - instead WvW has terrain and objectives which effectively makes it a wargame which means that it encompasses the entire theatre of combat from large battles to small scale and even solo tactics.If you want to cross the map by yourself then pick your route and watch what else is around rather than charging blindly by the most direct path.

I'm going to continue picking you guys off over and over and over and over and over.

If anything, your post encourages me to continue and amplify this behavior with my guild. WvW needs diversity and roamers bring that to the table better than anyone in wvw currently. They also do a lot of damage to enemy bls and interrupt supply lines + camp upgrades. In addition, who provides intel so you can find the fights typically. A scout or.....A ROAMER perhaps?????

The fact that a 4 man crew can manipulate/distract an entire 50 man zerg to chase them down while their commander takes bay/hills for example speaks volume to the effectiveness of roamers.

With Nidome, rubbish.

Everything i said above is true though, so how is it trolling?> @RodOfDeath.5247 said:

I'm going to continue picking you guys off over and over and over and over and over.

If anything, your post encourages me to continue and amplify this behavior with my guild. WvW needs diversity and roamers bring that to the table better than anyone in wvw currently. They also do a lot of damage to enemy bls and interrupt supply lines + camp upgrades. In addition, who provides intel so you can find the fights typically. A scout or.....A ROAMER perhaps?????

The fact that a 4 man crew can manipulate/distract an entire 50 man zerg to chase them down while their commander takes bay/hills for example speaks volume to the effectiveness of roamers.

With Nidome, rubbish.

a 4 man group is a havoc squad (which does make a difference, and I don't have a problem with it, also you can take skills that play off of your teammates, thus making your builds non 1v1 roaming), roaming is solo only.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:I don't think roaming was ever an intended activity in wvw personally. I agree with zergs (of course) and havoc groups but roaming feels like a cheap gimmick. All I ever see from players who roam are 1v1 oriented builds that are extremely overpowered vs anything else other then 1v1 builds. They usually stack Vit + Tough so that they stay alive forever and whittle other players they come across until they finally drop. Since its not SPvP, they can reset the fight for themselves an infinite number of times through, movement skills, stealth or defensive traits and the victim has nowhere to hide (unlike spvp) because the map is so open.

Most of these roamers run full ascended gear, with food + utility and completely overpowered specs + stats that are completely suited for 1v1 play (even using stats combinations that are banned in spvp because they are too imbalanced and deemed OP). They tend to mostly encounter players running back to the zerg whom are not suited for 1v1 play, or in most scenarios sub level 80's or new 80's still in greens, whom they mercilessly hack away at and grief. Yes you can argue that roamers stem the tide of reinforcements to the zerg, but really the impact is negligible and it mostly amounts to trolling and griefing, then actually bringing the server a tactical advantage, especially since wvw centers around large scale zerg battles.

I think adding the raptor would solve this type of imbalanced bullying. It would allow players to traverse the map quicker, and get back to their zerg/havoc squads faster. It would allow them to get back into action faster, making wvw more fast paced. Lastly it would completely eliminate most roamers, because its pretty hard to stop someone running by at full speed on a raptor. I think this is a change that is needed to combat an aspect of wvw that was never really intended and would bring QoL improvements to the game mode.

So wait, which is it? Are roamers having a negligible effect or are they enough of a problem that it needs fixing? It can't really be both.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:I don't think roaming was ever an intended activity in wvw personally. I agree with zergs (of course) and havoc groups but roaming feels like a cheap gimmick. All I ever see from players who roam are 1v1 oriented builds that are extremely overpowered vs anything else other then 1v1 builds. They usually stack Vit + Tough so that they stay alive forever and whittle other players they come across until they finally drop. Since its not SPvP, they can reset the fight for themselves an infinite number of times through, movement skills, stealth or defensive traits and the victim has nowhere to hide (unlike spvp) because the map is so open.

wait i like roaming, so because u dont like it u want to avoid it at all cost and have these mindless blob fights?i dunno exactly what ur saying about vit/tough stats on roamers? most roamers are in marauders gear but w/e..i stumble into roamers my self also when im on my zerg toon for some odd reason i dont have problem dealing with em, unlike u?maybe u should roam your self someday and figure out how to play it then u prolly have figured out how to deal with em also..

anyway if i roam i do exactly what ur hating i stop all these zerglings from going back to their commander so my server gets a TACTICAL ADVANTAGE.. how about that?u get crippled my server wins and they take or deffend the object succesfully..

stop hating just deal with it, or dont run solo like a brainless tool towards ur commander when u know roamers are around wait for more people to run in a group.

@Sylvyn.4750 said:Reverse psychology, perhaps? Anyway, it would be fun to run blitzkrieg maneuvers, using tail whip to smash into zergs before engaging them...the calvary meta...:)

I used to play Command and Conquer and my usual strategy was to lay low and build an army, preferably of only drones, and to just erase the opponent from the map. They stood no chance against my firepower. That was fun too but only for me.

ETA: But they could do a mount week. Or probably a mount-golem week.

@Cirrion.8951 said:

So wait, which is it? Are roamers having a negligible effect or are they enough of a problem that it needs fixing? It can't really be both.

It's both, roaming is basically trolling and bullying, and does almost nothing for the server. More then one roamer is a havoc, and I'm fine with that. the solution to eliminate solo roamers while keeping group roamers (havoc) viable is the raptor mount.

A solo roamer most likely can't stop someone on a raptor, a havoc group most likely could. So plz put the raptor in wvw.

I think the OP would should skip the background and simply state, "I'd like it to be easier to catch up with the commander during peak periods, when there are lots of enemies between me and the tag." Then people could offer suggestions on what we can do already (speed, stealth, condi/stun clears, etc.) and we might have an interesting discussion about whether there's an actual issue and (if so) whether ANet should also spend resources to address it.

Instead, the OP opens with:

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:I don't think roaming was ever an intended activity in wvw personally.

I can't really take the rest of the post seriously (although I did read it, just in case I missed something). The OP assumes developer intent and then uses that to justify a massive change to the game mode. Since apparently they don't, themselves, roam, they also are factually incorrect about what roamers do, the builds that they run, and whether they survive in 1v1 (or frankly in 20v1 or 40v5). That makes it incredibly difficult to offer any workable ideas about what might need changing, let alone what changes would be good.

Anyone in rare gear with half a potato for a brain can solo-flip a camp. And since it has been that way since the beginning of the game, I think it's safe to assume that solo roaming is most definitely an intended activity in wvw. OP makes posts like this weekly. I really wish he was a troll, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

@Turk.5460 said:OP makes posts like this weekly. I really wish he was a troll, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.Solo roaming has been dead for abour 2,5 years, so it's no problem at all. And he is a very good troll. I usually love trolls, but his posts are dangerous as he seems to be sincere and anet might destroy the game some more because of that.

It's both, roaming is basically trolling and bullying, and does almost nothing for the server. More then one roamer is a havoc, and I'm fine with that. the solution to eliminate solo roamers while keeping group roamers (havoc) viable is the raptor mount.

Roaming is not bullying for god sake. Im super pissed when a daredevil jumps at me when im on my zerker staff ele but WvW would be a lot less fun without the danger out their. Its also the only thing leather classes can do. Do you think thief, engi or ranger players should just stay away from the game mode?

The game dev's totaly intendet roaming, dark age of camelot was a inspiration for WvW in gw2. That mmorpg had roamer classes that could 100>0 you in seconds without any chance of fighting back.

Ha-ha that’s a funny OP! It’s all true to a point and you have a very dark "anti" perspective on roamers. I personally love roaming. I pretty much solo roamed to rank 800 and spent much of my 7,000 ranks roaming. It’s funny to see how dark people's perspectives can get after being abused over and over. 1v1 or 1v2 or even 1v3 victories have been so thrilling to me. Adrenalin literally flows through me during the fight and being victorious in such fights makes you feel like a boss. Great read though I disagree about mounts in WvW for now and I <3 roaming.

Archived