Need help, something is wrong with my computer processor, details inside

Angel.3916

Hello all i wanted to say that there is something wrong with my computer.So my computer isi7 7700 4 core 8 processors 3.5 GZH base16gb ramgeforce GTX 1070 gra[hics card1 tb normal harddrive.

Now my problem is i get choppy gameplay in guild worlds 2 and it is starting to happen in all the video games i play.

I was checking the task bar performance and when running guild wars 2 the utilization was 17% and 1.10 ghz spiking up to 1.55 ghz at times.

This has been making steam games, bluestack mobile games, and guild wars 2 run sluggish.

My computer is from 2017 around june when i bought it.

I don't know if i need to upgrade or change a setting. The fans are not blowing hard or struggling. I feel like the performance is very low, or handicapped or something. My computer doesn't seem to get hot at all, but the games don't run very smoothly.

I tried lowering graphics on each app, and then increasing graphics and then using geforce x app for optimization each game. I also tried to test the work on task bar and sometimes the guild wars 2 says 47% of my cpu process on the process bar but only tiny on the performance. I monitored all 8 instances and 4 cores.

What should i do ? should i consider buying a new computer or upgrading ?

any help is great, thanks.

CPUs generally drop frequency to battle overheating. Your system might either be clogged by dust, or your CPU cooler could have become loose and lose adequate contact to the CPU. Either way you need to open up your computer and see what's going on. Programs like HWMonitor show you what your temp sensors see, but that severe throttling either means next to no cooling or messed up BIOS settings (something that has to be done manually, BIOS doesn't mess itself up by itself).

The physical machine generally only gets hot when the cooling is working as intended but has inadequate capacity for user comfort (the amount of heat generated stays the same, the difference you experience is in the ability to dissipate the heat into your room). In your case the issue is so dramatic the hardware has to take drastic measures to keep itself from breaking (i.e. Intel CPUs can deal with around 100C running temperatures, but if that's not drawn away from the CPU the limit will be exceeded quickly, without the overall system becoming hot or even warm to touch).

Computing hardware hardly degrades, this is most likely not a reason to get a new machine. It is most likely solvable, it just requires you to either get a bit more intimate with your system, or you finding someone trustworthy that has the skills to do that on your behalf. Do not give that hardware away for cheap/free just because it's currently under-performing. 7700 is more than viable CPU, and I'm playing in 4K with my 1070. This is a maintenance issue, not a cause for an upgrade.

@"Angel.3916" said:Hello all i wanted to say that there is something wrong with my computer.So my computer isi7 7700 4 core 8 processors 3.5 GZH base16gb ramgeforce GTX 1070 gra[hics card1 tb normal harddrive.

Now my problem is i get choppy gameplay in guild worlds 2 and it is starting to happen in all the video games i play.

I was checking the task bar performance and when running guild wars 2 the utilization was 17% and 1.10 ghz spiking up to 1.55 ghz at times.

This has been making steam games, bluestack mobile games, and guild wars 2 run sluggish.

My computer is from 2017 around june when i bought it.

I don't know if i need to upgrade or change a setting. The fans are not blowing hard or struggling. I feel like the performance is very low, or handicapped or something. My computer doesn't seem to get hot at all, but the games don't run very smoothly.

I tried lowering graphics on each app, and then increasing graphics and then using geforce x app for optimization each game. I also tried to test the work on task bar and sometimes the guild wars 2 says 47% of my cpu process on the process bar but only tiny on the performance. I monitored all 8 instances and 4 cores.

What should i do ? should i consider buying a new computer or upgrading ?

any help is great, thanks.

What kind of Steam Games are we talking about here? Is that games that need to be connected to a server to run or is it standalone type of game which do not need be online to any other server then Steam to first run? Is it possible that your network or network card can have anything to do with this?

I would also check what Task Manager show for your processes, there one section for your active running process and one for background process. You can mage a screen shot and upload that to an external image site like imagur or any other which let you host for free, but be careful to not let personal information be visible. Black or hide this colon by right click in the field where it stands "User name" (the highest up) which bring up the option to hide that colon with your user name which is the name your MS account use when you log into MS Windows (userID and password) and all MS services that are connected to your account. This kind of information isn't necessary and most are either Local Service or System when it isn't your account name.

Change Task Manager view to Services (last tab on right), click on one of these colons names to sort what it show. Here you will see all services that are running, which one might have run when you started Windows, but is now put into listening mode (meaning the don't run, but can be activated from running service when needed) and those that have been disabled (need to change status to be in listening mode or forced to start).

Here is a link that explain all you can do with Task Manager and there is an option to use built in Windows tools that are part of MS Windows system. Event view is one example.

Could you also check which Windows version and build you are running? Use Windows Start type "winver" (short for "windows version" and is a command to run winver.exe) that way you can see this information. With v2004 some user have had problems and not every download work the same as there different combination of hardware, drivers that are related both to old and new hardware and apps, which change which part of v2004 that might be installed.

The link to How to Geek is a rather good guide on all features of Task Manager.

https://www.howtogeek.com/405806/windows-task-manager-the-complete-guide/0

This is another Task Manager from MS Windows, which is more complex and give you deeper tools to track all that is going on on your system. It is made and hosted from MS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

I would also make sure you defragment your mechanical hard disk as files can become fragmented over time when you don't do this on regular basis. It might take some time if you haven't let Windows do this automatically in background as is the default for most Windows 10 system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026701/windows-defragment-your-windows-10-pc

In particular for GW2 those are large DAT files which is compressed files (same 7ZIP or ZIP files) which contain data for running this game. Those files will be seen as large continues files and might be placed physically on hard disk in places where they might take longer time to access and read them during game play.

How old are your power supply unit? Does it have easy access to fresh air (depending on how it have been placed). Does it blow warm air out or inside of cabinet? Did you build this system yourself or is it a pre-built system bought from a shop or private?

THANKS GUYS i found out what the problem was.

I found out in the power options ,you can change the settings of the computer. Mine was at power saves. So i check the advance settings, and check the core performance and it was set to 5% ! -.- !

So i switch to high performance and changed it to 100% performance and set the cooling to active.

OMG that was so dumb. And now guild wars 2 runs very smoothly. It is fresh clean, almost like i bought a new computer. Everything is running so fast.

On the performance in the task manager, it went from 1.00 gzh, to a constant 4.01 gzh. Everything runs fast and efficient.

Thanks for your comments guys, sorry i bothered you. Thanks for the help, you can delete this thread now. Sorry !

I want to clarify that on windows 10, if you set it to high performance, and set the advance settings - go to Core performances, and set minimum and max to 100% = you will have very fast load times, and high FPS as well as smooth gameplay.

Now my cores have a base 3.5 GHZ but the point is, maybe most people have balance or power save settings ? maybe that's why they get low fps or lag or something. I don't think guild wars 2 is unoptimize with computers.. specifically 1 core over multi cores. I am not an expert so i am probably wrong.

Any ways, my guild wars 2 runs SO smoothly and freely and this is a 2017 computer, i have good FPS and never lag.

So hope this helps some people. Goodluck and have fun <3

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:Good you have things working. It would also be a good idea to defrag all your game files. Use a defragger that lets you defrag individual files.

I linked a link earlier in this thread how to defrag for OP, no need to download an external app for this. It is built in with MS Windows 10 and also on earlier version like Windows 7, 8 and XP.