Returned to Ranked PvP after 2 years - wow... this community is super toxic! — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

Returned to Ranked PvP after 2 years - wow... this community is super toxic!

Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2020 in PVP

I stopped playing GW2 for 2 years and have returned to it about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I gave PvP a try again.

I checked out some popular builds, current meta, did some unranked matches and then went into ranked.

And holy cow, this PvP community is really toxic! I play Dead by Daylight a lot so I am familiar with toxic people and a toxic ommunity but I never thought it would be like that in GW2 as well.

The first match I get called out a noob and moron for playing a scourge. I told them it's literally my first match but they didn't care and my team insulted me. Some matches later 2 guys of my team just go afk because they don't like each other and say they are wintrading. Then one of them whispers me and tell me I am a kitten for telling them to just play and argue outside of the match. Various times my team went crazy after losing and insulted each other for the dumbest reasons. I also encountered a few bots that were on my team.

I thought GW2's community is nice and wholesome... well that might be true unless you go into PvP. I hope the devs adress these issues and check player reports to make PvP less toxic because it really kills the fun of this gamemode.

Comments

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

You can do what I do. I block anyone who is disrespectful to anyone. It helps a ton.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Zeesh.7286Zeesh.7286 Member ✭✭✭

@Sodeni.6041 said:
    I stopped playing GW2 for 2 years and have returned to it about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I gave PvP a try again.

I checked out some popular builds, current meta, did some unranked matches and then went into ranked.

And holy cow, this PvP community is really toxic! I play Dead by Daylight a lot so I am familiar with toxic people and a toxic ommunity but I never thought it would be like that in GW2 as well.

The first match I get called out a noob and moron for playing a scourge. I told them it's literally my first match but they didn't care and my team insulted me. Some matches later 2 guys of my team just go afk because they don't like each other and say they are wintrading. Then one of them whispers me and tell me I am a kitten for telling them to just play and argue outside of the match. Various times my team went crazy after losing and insulted each other for the dumbest reasons. I also encountered a few bots that were on my team.

I thought GW2's community is nice and wholesome... well that might be true unless you go into PvP. I hope the devs adress these issues and check player reports to make PvP less toxic because it really kills the fun of this gamemode.

You'll find salty players everytime you play a match sadly. You will even find them in unranked and it's not even a serious mode lol. On the other hand you will also find a lot of wholesome players in games and especially in arena in hart of the mists. Lots of people hang out and do weird fun kitten there. I often Q with a few people in unranked and we have fun there.

I honestly think true wholesome people are in PvE no pvp. If you find a decent guild in WvW you'll have a great time there too with a few people roaming or following guild tags in zergs. Spvp matches are and will remain a hit or miss so long as populations are low and we have bots xD

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭

@Fueki.4753 said:
    Just ignore chat and hope for a somewhat decent team.

Also, don't take PvP serious.
    It's a clown show.

Yeah I try to do that now. But it's hard, I mean I try to win obviously and I hate when my team is just insulting each other or going afk.

• Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you truly enjoy the PvP experience for the action, consider doing 1v1's for fun as people who usually spar are really constructive and really go out of their way to have fun.

The ranked scene tends to be very toxic because of those who (actually) throws or blame left and right instantly without the slightest consideration of their act, there's not a lot you can do but move on.

The best you can do is remind those people that they're ruining the game by not participating properly, for as long as ranked is properly played, winning or not it should be part of the experience to have teams that care to work together.

Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

• Technically speaking you are wrong because the majority in ranked pvp is botting and i really doubt they programmed their bots to verbally abuse you.

• Dahkeus.8243Dahkeus.8243 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yea...it’s bad...

• Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Nilkemia.8507 said:
    Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them.

In fact, on the contrary: PvP is one of the best ways to progress in the game, because you're rewarded with gold, knowledge tomes and other useful things no matter if you success (win) or fail /lose) at the event. Is also the cheapest way to access to a legendary armor set piece. Sure, other parts of the game can make you "rich" faster, but no other can make you progress as effortessly as PvP.

• just like in gw, most things irl can be countered

Te lazla otstara.

• A large portion of people still playing pvp are salty veterans who dont seem to realize that there isnt any real competition anymore. It also doesnt help that the meta for the last half year has been absolutely awful.

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

At first, I see you beginner, but this is not problem.
    You should use separate chat tabs, and diuring spvp see only giud tab chat, or off all chat at all.
    Next - is someone wisper - use friendly and chill block. Block count is unlimited - so this is very cool
    And one more thing- try get fun for yourself, but not for someone.

want solid balance ? - play chess.

• Mindless.9721Mindless.9721 Member ✭✭
    edited September 26, 2020

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Avatar.3568 said:

@Nilkemia.8507 said:
    Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them. Unless you're after something that requires you go there, it's best to just stay out.

Some people play pvp to compete and have fun

With silver (and below) regularly being matched against plat+, there is no real competition.
    Unless you enjoy CC and condi spam, or just destroying the other team, which often has no real chance of fighting back, there is no fun to be found either.

Ranked, despite its name, simply isn't competitive (anymore).

This.
    I think that the matchmaking is one of the biggest problems which fosters toxicity.

While online gaming will always have bad apples in every game, pitching veterans with years of experience against people who havent even played for a year is bound to be a frustrating experience for everyone.
    Even in plat the gap between players is huge - due to the relatively low player base there is pretty much no middle ground between vets and newer players.

Take my own experience for example:

Ive been playing PvP for about 2 months and im in low plat.
    Depending on the time of the day the game just decides its fine for me to be matched with MOTA finalists and veterans who have been playing for years.
    This is bound to lead to frustration, problems and extremly uneven matches.
    And while i do understand that people get mad when they get matched with people obviously worse than them, i still cant help but have mixed feelings when people (who have thousands of games played) start trashtalking me (or someone else) for being "bad".
    Its especially frustrating when you have streamers (who you try to learn from), that have been playing for years and sometimes even attended multiple tournaments, shittalk you or others.

People seem to just ignore the fact that playtime is one of THE biggest factors which determines how good you are at a game and just want to vent their frustration about losing - while simultaneously perpetuating the problem of the low player base and the small influx of new players.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:
    A large portion of people still playing pvp are salty veterans who dont seem to realize that there isnt any real competition anymore. It also doesnt help that the meta for the last half year has been absolutely awful.

I don't know why there is so much toxicity, especially against new players or players that try to learn a class/build. Unless you are a complete pro (and probably even then) people just hate on you. Also, the bots are a real problem in PvP, there's so many of them! Why doesn't arenanet act and ban those bots?

• @Sodeni.6041 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:
    A large portion of people still playing pvp are salty veterans who dont seem to realize that there isnt any real competition anymore. It also doesnt help that the meta for the last half year has been absolutely awful.

I don't know why there is so much toxicity, especially against new players or players that try to learn a class/build. Unless you are a complete pro (and probably even then) people just hate on you. Also, the bots are a real problem in PvP, there's so many of them! Why doesn't arenanet act and ban those bots?

There are a bunch of reasons that all accumulate together. People who have played 1000's of games expect teammates to have the same experience, and most dont want to bother teaching the basics to new players. Secondly, the population has been declining for years, which has been decreasing the matchmaking quality and making leaderboard position more volatile. Conquest is a very team oriented gamemode and requires constant communication and strategy to play properly, something you only rarely see at high ranks. Also the meta since February has been very bunker and cc heavy, which makes team coordination and proper rotations even more important. So playing a neglected gamemode, low population, not having proper teams outside of AT's, and being stuck in one of the worst metas yet makes people pretty salty. And bots arent being addressed because anet doesnt really look at pvp anymore, though you can avoid them if you get above silver-gold rank.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sodeni.6041 said:

Gw2 pvp was just made cause a mmo w/o pvp would be a bad thing... Gw2 is a PVE game. PVP died within Gw1....

Slayers [XD] NSP Guild
    Yao Chen Herald/Ventari
    Ying Wuxian Renegade/Demon

• Dantheman.3589Dantheman.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭

This seems strange since scourge is definitely op rn at least as the bunker build. If you need an iteration of the bunker build I’d be glad to link one for reference. Also I can link some guides and/or sites that can help new players

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Sodeni.6041 said:

Gw2 pvp was just made cause a mmo w/o pvp would be a bad thing... Gw2 is a PVE game. PVP died within Gw1....

I fell in love with PvP in GW2. The build diversity is so strong and I love making new and unique builds. That is what got me into PvP in the first place. But they took a lot of that unique feeling away with bad balancing decisions (mirage one dodge, excuse me? Was there no other way to balance mirage because they feel bad to play right now) and the current meta doesn't help the situation.

I hope I can get that old feeling back when I first started playing PvP in GW2. But I'm not sure.

• Arcaneus.6931Arcaneus.6931 Member ✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020

Yeah, I'm starting to notice a lot of toxicity in PvP and WvW specially with classes as well where you are required to take specific builds and weapons and elites that are meta and anything outside that is looked down with hostility. This is also starting to seep into the PvE content were I am noticing higher level players telling low level players in dungeons they should play another class or calling them stupid because they may be new to the class.

I feel like these elite specs are causing more toxicity than anything as well. I am just trying to have fun and people on here can get pretty toxic if you don't also adhere to their kitten metas because kitten what you want to play and what's fun for you.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

This word will change your life "BLOCK". Anyone starts spouting off to anyone or if they just has a negative tone block them. It is just a matter of time before they direct it at you. I used to think it was toxic now it is pretty silent. My que times are about 30 seconds to a minute longer but well worth the wait.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Tseison.4659Tseison.4659 Member ✭✭✭

WvW not so much and I'm usually in there (Maguuma) but PvP; literally just did a couple of spars and I bumped into your usual toxic player who think they're better than everyone.

• eksn.7264eksn.7264 Member ✭✭✭

@Avatar.3568 said:
    The saltiness is extremely high in gold and low Plat, everything above und below is pretty pma and full of nice people , idk why but this region is rly a toxic behavior

Hard disagree, at least for NA. I have like half the plat 2+ population blocked because they're just toxic kids with huge egos. Like just get over yourself and be happy people are still playing this game at all. Some of them are streamers so they talk kitten on their stream rather than in game, but they still do it. It was even worse when there was actual competition, like how can you have this big of an ego for being a "top player" in a game with a hundred serious players at best...

Play for the sick combat system and just block toxic nerds.

• @eksn.7264 said:
    Hard disagree, at least for NA. I have like half the plat 2+ population blocked because they're just toxic kids with huge egos. Like just get over yourself and be happy people are still playing this game at all. Some of them are streamers so they talk kitten on their stream rather than in game, but they still do it. It was even worse when there was actual competition, like how can you have this big of an ego for being a "top player" in a game with a hundred serious players at best...

Play for the sick combat system and just block toxic nerds.

being in a wvw guild full of these teen chest thumpers is the worst.

Te lazla otstara.

• Metzie.3451Metzie.3451 Member ✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020

@Sodeni.6041 said:

Definitely the wrong time to play GW2 PvP again. The state of PvP has never been worse than at the moment! Regardless of the balance and small or bigger "changes" (...), too many players (good, advanced, top players and veterans) have quit PvP or left the game completely. And rightly so! What you find is like a circus where monkeys and donkeys throw a party together. But who is surprised? ANet has done everything for this, which is also reflected in the increasing "toxicity" (which seems new to you in GW2 PvP).

I hope the devs adress these issues and check player reports to make PvP less toxic because it really kills the fun of this gamemode.

They do (sooner or later), don't worry! :) But the real fun in this game mode has been "killed" long ago, not just for a few days or months! In the end ANet has to answer for this state of affairs, that means, is responsible (for the bad mood). Those who don't take 2/3 of their own game (and thus 2/3 of their company) as well as their customers (all, not only the PvE part) seriously (or much too late), reap scorn and mockery, justifiably.

Enclosed, welcome back (let's see how long)! :)

Keep the game clean - wait what, ...? REMOVED
    Keep the game clean - wait what, again - oof? REMOVED
    Iam waiting for the next one ...

• PeerlessArch.6547PeerlessArch.6547 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020

@Avatar.3568 said:
    The saltiness is extremely high in gold and low Plat, everything above und below is pretty pma and full of nice people , idk why but this region is rly a toxic behavior

The saltiness comes from the gold players that can't quite make it to Plat and think they should, and the low Plat players that don't want to be knocked back down to Gold because they don't think they belong there. =)

Poking aside, I have noticed less toxicity this season and I've played the last 3. I don't have anyone on block, so its been refreshing to notice it less.

• I've seen people hurling around different sorts of insults that they'd get them hard/perma banned in some other mmos or competitive games. It's either they aren't getting reported or Anet simply doesn't give a kitten/too lenient.
    In their defense, toxicity/afk behaviors skyrocketed last year and half across all games I played, including DbD. People got spoiled and noone wants to be sportsman like anymore I guess xD

• noiwk.2760noiwk.2760 Member ✭✭✭

ranked pvp is kitten frustrating the amount of bots is grrrrrrr every single game i wanna rage quit from this game .. 1 player 4 bots in every team .. Anet couldnt be any worse

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

@noiwk.2760 said:
    ranked pvp is kitten frustrating the amount of bots is grrrrrrr every single game i wanna rage quit from this game .. 1 player 4 bots in every team .. Anet couldnt be any worse

Well...... it is u after all thst keeps loading the game up so. U know the state of pvp right, so why play it?

• noiwk.2760noiwk.2760 Member ✭✭✭

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@noiwk.2760 said:

Well...... it is u after all thst keeps loading the game up so. U know the state of pvp right, so why play it?

i basically dont play pvp anymore.. i got so fed up on it.. i do the bare minimum i need for backpack.. and i dont even give a kitten anymore about wining.. i lost motivation to even try .. when i see more than 2 bots in my team im just ohh well.. w/e hopefully its over fast.

• Unless you're carrying as solo queue, you don't need to even look at chat until gold 2. Especially as scourge, who are a lot more viable since they restored shade self-cast and can basically faceroll in team fights while still cranking out decent numbers.

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020

@Sodeni.6041 said:

I am sorry that has happened and i would like to say, not everyone in the community are Toxic, The Truth is, if you ask these Profession players why they are behaving Toxic, they will tell you. because the game design, the balance, it allows them to freely, willingly be as Toxic as they want. With endless Bad Designs, Broken Builds, Broken Mechanics, Broken Skills and as long Skills and Mechanics can be abused and spammed needlessly which allows them to behave this way and to go Un-Punished forever

(back-end story)

-Toxicity was Praised upon with having absolute no Sympathy for the WvW community who cared about their favorite game mode and was Gracefully Allowed to take over

But there is a always a choice

Either choose Toxicity or Not

Again, i am sorry that that you went through this and nobody deserves to be treated this way, I hope there is an immediate plan to resolve this and to put an end to Toxicity as soon as possible because there will no longer be anyone left to care about the game anymore including what remains of the community

-I Hope The Best For You-

Burnfall

'Situations that are present are there because you allow and tolerate them to continue'

• @Sodeni.6041 said:

I thought GW2's community is nice and wholesome... well that might be true unless you go into PvP. I hope the devs adress these issues and check player reports to make PvP less toxic because it really kills the fun of this game mode.

The issue is the matchmaking. Anet Prioritizes short queue times over quality matchups. This leads to a team filled with different types of players.

So ppl who try hard are placed in the same teams as people who are playing for the first time. Was watching a streamer yesterday who was top 20 on the leaderboard. He had a necro teammate who was just auto-attacking staff 1. He might've been a bot but he was around 1200 rated; 500 rating below the streamer.

Ppl like that should never be in the same games as top 20 players.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Sodeni.6041 said:

I am sorry that has happened and i would like to say, not everyone in the community are Toxic, The Truth is, if you ask these Profession players why they are behaving Toxic, they will tell you. because the game design, the balance, it allows them to freely, willingly be as Toxic as they want. With endless Bad Designs, Broken Builds, Broken Mechanics, Broken Skills and as long Skills and Mechanics can be abused and spammed needlessly which allows them to behave this way and to go Un-Punished forever

That's just a lie and your theories have nothing to do with it. Any online pvp/competitive/semi-competitive game is prone to toxicity. ESPECIALLY the team-based ones, where people have hard time dealing with their own mistakes and need to actively seek a scapegoat among their teammates. This behavior is in no way limited to gw2 and its mechanics, so... No.

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Sodeni.6041 said:

That's just a lie and your theories have nothing to do with it. Any online pvp/competitive/semi-competitive game is prone to toxicity. ESPECIALLY the team-based ones, where people have hard time dealing with their own mistakes and need to actively seek a scapegoat among their teammates. This behavior is in no way limited to gw2 and its mechanics, so... No.

You are talking about different things here. He spoke about people abusing not fun to play against mechanics (the classic try hard nerd). You speak about insulting people as a form of toxicity. Both are different things that happen for different reasons.

The only relationship between these two is that the mechanic abusing toxicity can lead to the insulting toxicity.

The game is full of people that don't care about or even aim for destroying the fun of others (BUT: this is more of an issue in wvw than pvp: gank squads, spawn point farming when outnumbering etc.). And the game is also full of people with anger management issues. Both at once is a bad mixture.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's actually kind of hilarious how this game's outset was defending by a massive hugbox corps that demonized anybody who tried to tell anybody that there was a "metagame" (or just a "correct/best" way to play) in any part of the game, when there clearly was; yet, as feature bloat swelled over time, the metagame's overbearing presence became so flagrant that now you can't go a step in a place like the PvP lobby without hearing somebody tying "player skill" to "knowing what build to play in PvP." From "Necromancer is viable anywhere! Stop bullying!" to "Player skill is heavily and directly tied to interfacing with a pop-up menu before a match even starts." At its core, GW2 is just a loud hypocrite factory.

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

If I play I hide party map chat .. and open it ONLY if I see what it 10% lose want get nostalgia from other toxic game

want solid balance ? - play chess.

• Those who are salty never contribute anything useful with their comments, so i treat the comments as such; nothing. Block if they start whispering.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Sodeni.6041 said:

You are talking about different things here. He spoke about people abusing not fun to play against mechanics (the classic try hard nerd). You speak about insulting people as a form of toxicity. Both are different things that happen for different reasons.

The only relationship between these two is that the mechanic abusing toxicity can lead to the insulting toxicity.

The game is full of people that don't care about or even aim for destroying the fun of others (BUT: this is more of an issue in wvw than pvp: gank squads, spawn point farming when outnumbering etc.). And the game is also full of people with anger management issues. Both at once is a bad mixture.

Yes, I understood what he's talking about, but he's responding to OP and if you actually read what OP writes about, then you'll understand that response is irrelevant here, because OP just describes "regular" (not excused nonetheless) online/competitive/team-based toxicity we can see in pretty much any game including those elements. Individual "toxic game mechonics!" have nothing to do with that. Again, "that" being the situation OP describes.
    What he answered to the post he quoted is irrelevant and that situation isn't somehow exclusive to "THIS game", "THIS community" or "THESE mechanics I don't like".