Returned to Ranked PvP after 2 years - wow... this community is super toxic!

Sodeni.6041

I stopped playing GW2 for 2 years and have returned to it about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I gave PvP a try again.

I checked out some popular builds, current meta, did some unranked matches and then went into ranked.

And holy cow, this PvP community is really toxic! I play Dead by Daylight a lot so I am familiar with toxic people and a toxic ommunity but I never thought it would be like that in GW2 as well.

The first match I get called out a noob and moron for playing a scourge. I told them it's literally my first match but they didn't care and my team insulted me. Some matches later 2 guys of my team just go afk because they don't like each other and say they are wintrading. Then one of them whispers me and tell me I am a bitch for telling them to just play and argue outside of the match. Various times my team went crazy after losing and insulted each other for the dumbest reasons. I also encountered a few bots that were on my team.

I thought GW2's community is nice and wholesome... well that might be true unless you go into PvP. I hope the devs adress these issues and check player reports to make PvP less toxic because it really kills the fun of this gamemode.

@Sodeni.6041 said:I stopped playing GW2 for 2 years and have returned to it about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I gave PvP a try again.

I checked out some popular builds, current meta, did some unranked matches and then went into ranked.

And holy cow, this PvP community is really toxic! I play Dead by Daylight a lot so I am familiar with toxic people and a toxic ommunity but I never thought it would be like that in GW2 as well.

The first match I get called out a noob and moron for playing a scourge. I told them it's literally my first match but they didn't care and my team insulted me. Some matches later 2 guys of my team just go afk because they don't like each other and say they are wintrading. Then one of them whispers me and tell me I am a kitten for telling them to just play and argue outside of the match. Various times my team went crazy after losing and insulted each other for the dumbest reasons. I also encountered a few bots that were on my team.

I thought GW2's community is nice and wholesome... well that might be true unless you go into PvP. I hope the devs adress these issues and check player reports to make PvP less toxic because it really kills the fun of this gamemode.

You'll find salty players everytime you play a match sadly. You will even find them in unranked and it's not even a serious mode lol. On the other hand you will also find a lot of wholesome players in games and especially in arena in hart of the mists. Lots of people hang out and do weird fun shit there. I often Q with a few people in unranked and we have fun there.

I honestly think true wholesome people are in PvE no pvp. If you find a decent guild in WvW you'll have a great time there too with a few people roaming or following guild tags in zergs. Spvp matches are and will remain a hit or miss so long as populations are low and we have bots xD

Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them. Unless you're after something that requires you go there, it's best to just stay out.

PvP always has some inherent toxicity, and as Avatar pointed out, in high gold and low plat there are quite a few people who are able to stomp the biggest noobs and now think they are big shots whereas in reality they meet their limits fairly quickly when they face actually competent players, but lack the self-reflection to see their own mistakes and just by default resort to blaming their team. There is still plenty toxicity in the higher ranks, but at least they are usually a bit more aware of their own impact and also know they will have to deal with less competent players in their team, so they usually don't go "omg shit team" in teamchat after the first wipe.

@Nilkemia.8507 said:Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them. Unless you're after something that requires you go there, it's best to just stay out.

Some people play pvp to compete and have fun

@Avatar.3568 said:

@Nilkemia.8507 said:Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them. Unless you're after something that requires you go there, it's best to just stay out.

With silver (and below) regularly being matched against plat+, there is no real competition.Unless you enjoy CC and condi spam, or just destroying the other team, which often has no real chance of fighting back, there is no fun to be found either.

Ranked, despite its name, simply isn't competitive (anymore).

If you truly enjoy the PvP experience for the action, consider doing 1v1's for fun as people who usually spar are really constructive and really go out of their way to have fun.

The ranked scene tends to be very toxic because of those who (actually) throws or blame left and right instantly without the slightest consideration of their act, there's not a lot you can do but move on.

The best you can do is remind those people that they're ruining the game by not participating properly, for as long as ranked is properly played, winning or not it should be part of the experience to have teams that care to work together.

@"Nilkemia.8507" said:Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them.

In fact, on the contrary: PvP is one of the best ways to progress in the game, because you're rewarded with gold, knowledge tomes and other useful things no matter if you success (win) or fail /lose) at the event. Is also the cheapest way to access to a legendary armor set piece. Sure, other parts of the game can make you "rich" faster, but no other can make you progress as effortessly as PvP.

At first, I see you beginner, but this is not problem.You should use separate chat tabs, and diuring spvp see only giud tab chat, or off all chat at all.Next - is someone wisper - use friendly and chill block. Block count is unlimited - so this is very coolAnd one more thing- try get fun for yourself, but not for someone.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Nilkemia.8507" said:Bit of advice : Don't bother with PvP and WvW if you can help it. They're not good for anything except the reward tracks and the dailies. And even those aren't worth the trouble of entering, as they're both toxic modes that will inevitably bring out the worst in anyone that goes into them. Unless you're after something that requires you go there, it's best to just stay out.

With silver (and below) regularly being matched against plat+, there is no real competition.Unless you enjoy CC and condi spam, or just destroying the other team, which often has no real chance of fighting back, there is no fun to be found either.

Ranked, despite its name, simply isn't competitive (anymore).

This.I think that the matchmaking is one of the biggest problems which fosters toxicity.

While online gaming will always have bad apples in every game, pitching veterans with years of experience against people who havent even played for a year is bound to be a frustrating experience for everyone.Even in plat the gap between players is huge - due to the relatively low player base there is pretty much no middle ground between vets and newer players.

Take my own experience for example:

Ive been playing PvP for about 2 months and im in low plat.Depending on the time of the day the game just decides its fine for me to be matched with MOTA finalists and veterans who have been playing for years.This is bound to lead to frustration, problems and extremly uneven matches.And while i do understand that people get mad when they get matched with people obviously worse than them, i still cant help but have mixed feelings when people (who have thousands of games played) start trashtalking me (or someone else) for being "bad".Its especially frustrating when you have streamers (who you try to learn from), that have been playing for years and sometimes even attended multiple tournaments, shittalk you or others.

People seem to just ignore the fact that playtime is one of THE biggest factors which determines how good you are at a game and just want to vent their frustration about losing - while simultaneously perpetuating the problem of the low player base and the small influx of new players.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:A large portion of people still playing pvp are salty veterans who dont seem to realize that there isnt any real competition anymore. It also doesnt help that the meta for the last half year has been absolutely awful.

I don't know why there is so much toxicity, especially against new players or players that try to learn a class/build. Unless you are a complete pro (and probably even then) people just hate on you. Also, the bots are a real problem in PvP, there's so many of them! Why doesn't arenanet act and ban those bots?

@Sodeni.6041 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:A large portion of people still playing pvp are salty veterans who dont seem to realize that there isnt any real competition anymore. It also doesnt help that the meta for the last half year has been absolutely awful.

I don't know why there is so much toxicity, especially against new players or players that try to learn a class/build. Unless you are a complete pro (and probably even then) people just hate on you. Also, the bots are a real problem in PvP, there's so many of them! Why doesn't arenanet act and ban those bots?

There are a bunch of reasons that all accumulate together. People who have played 1000's of games expect teammates to have the same experience, and most dont want to bother teaching the basics to new players. Secondly, the population has been declining for years, which has been decreasing the matchmaking quality and making leaderboard position more volatile. Conquest is a very team oriented gamemode and requires constant communication and strategy to play properly, something you only rarely see at high ranks. Also the meta since February has been very bunker and cc heavy, which makes team coordination and proper rotations even more important. So playing a neglected gamemode, low population, not having proper teams outside of AT's, and being stuck in one of the worst metas yet makes people pretty salty. And bots arent being addressed because anet doesnt really look at pvp anymore, though you can avoid them if you get above silver-gold rank.

@Sodeni.6041 said:I stopped playing GW2 for 2 years and have returned to it about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I gave PvP a try again.

The first match I get called out a noob and moron for playing a scourge. I told them it's literally my first match but they didn't care and my team insulted me. Some matches later 2 guys of my team just go afk because they don't like each other and say they are wintrading. Then one of them whispers me and tell me I am a kitten for telling them to just play and argue outside of the match. Various times my team went crazy after losing and insulted each other for the dumbest reasons. I also encountered a few bots that were on my team.

Gw2 pvp was just made cause a mmo w/o pvp would be a bad thing... Gw2 is a PVE game. PVP died within Gw1....

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Gw2 pvp was just made cause a mmo w/o pvp would be a bad thing... Gw2 is a PVE game. PVP died within Gw1....

I fell in love with PvP in GW2. The build diversity is so strong and I love making new and unique builds. That is what got me into PvP in the first place. But they took a lot of that unique feeling away with bad balancing decisions (mirage one dodge, excuse me? Was there no other way to balance mirage because they feel bad to play right now) and the current meta doesn't help the situation.

I hope I can get that old feeling back when I first started playing PvP in GW2. But I'm not sure.

I used to think claims of toxicity were overblown until I started learning thief.

It was the only class besides warrior that I had single digit games on, so I had very little idea what I was doing. I chose to learn in ranked because unranked is a matchmaking disaster and games there are too unenjoyable to bother with.

I've never gotten so many salty whispers before.

"Idiot thief""Never play thief again""Do you have (special needs)"?

It was honestly amusing. Ofc... 50 games later and I've gotten enough of a grasp on the class that people mostly leave me be to do my thing... which is to take advantaged fights and decap. Shadow portal jukes are some of the funniest things in this game, but ho boy, those initial few games were a thing of beauty. Part of me felt bad for those people.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm starting to notice a lot of toxicity in PvP and WvW specially with classes as well where you are required to take specific builds and weapons and elites that are meta and anything outside that is looked down with hostility. This is also starting to seep into the PvE content were I am noticing higher level players telling low level players in dungeons they should play another class or calling them stupid because they may be new to the class.

I feel like these elite specs are causing more toxicity than anything as well. I am just trying to have fun and people on here can get pretty toxic if you don't also adhere to their shitty metas because fuck what you want to play and what's fun for you.