WvW world-team colors

blp.3489

I'm a relative newbie and its my first time having desert border lands as my home map and red as my home color, and it's very disconcerting to have both enemies and allies that are red and green (e.g. friendly dolyak with green text and red icon or enemy dolyak with red text and green icon), not to mention squad members being blue, the same as enemies. (Slightly different blue I know.) Couldn't there be more than three colors used, reserve red for enemies, reserve blue for squad, reserve green for allies? Or just make the colors view-specific, e.g. allies are always green. People on different teams would have different colors displayed but so what? I guess I'll eventually get used to it but it just seems like unnecessarily bad design.

@blp.3489 said:I guess I'll eventually get used to it but it just seems like unnecessarily bad design.No, what you describe is unnecessarily bad design, because we've already gone through this - WvW had the color setup exactly like you describe at launch. It was changed to the current color system because it's a better design and allow you to identify servers by color.

The problem is if you're trying to defend a red keep and the red dots vanish every time they stand on the red circles. It would make sense for Anet to use a completely different color to identify enemies revealed by watchtower, etc., such as pink. The only flaw there might be those who are color-blind as I don't know what colors they can/cannot differentiate. However, this all falls back on Anet actually doing something to improve this, and based on what we've seen from Anet in regards to WvW over the past year, I think they've completely given up on improving this game mode.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@blp.3489 said:I guess I'll eventually get used to it but it just seems like unnecessarily bad design.No, what you describe is unnecessarily bad design, because we've already gone through this - WvW had the color setup exactly like you describe at launch. It was changed to the current color system because it's a better design and allow you to identify servers by color.

I would have thought that if everyone on your own server team saw the same colors that would be good enough for communications, I'll take your word for it that you need to identify servers to people on other server teams and that using additional colors is also a bad idea.

I mean if they changed the red team to be another colour (such as yellow, purple or even black) I wouldn't care. I'm not personally inconvenienced by this, but if others are it shouldn't be that hard to adjust the code. 'spose it's more about presentation at that point. As for parties and squads, its sufficiently different you'd have to be blind to both colours and shades to not tell the difference.

Why folks on opposing servers are able to party up is beyond me. That'd be like people on opposing teams in pvp joining the same party. Just seems weird.

~ Kovu

well, the color schemes are acutally one of the few working things. ofc as newbie u need time. hell, this is endgame content. u should know parties and squads from PvE yet at this point.

besides, u can change several color-scheme stuff @ options. i personally have guild tags as only name markers active, which works quite well, as well as "team colors" and "standard models" - so i see 1) no shiny distracting stuff 2) team colors exactly

outside of that, you get used to "your color" (which can change literally every single week) pretty soon.

like yeah, many stuff isn't great designed - but also bc it got never updated nor polished - still, THIS ain't one of the problematic things.