Problem With Mouse Pathing - Please Read - Will send 100g tip if you can figure out what's going on

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a problem with windows or my pc/laptop hardware or Razer software/hardware or possibly Guild Wars 2 or maybe even some kind of malicious software creeping around in my files somewhere.

Let me try to explain this as best I can.

Keep in mind that this has happened before on my old Toshiba laptop that was Win10 and is now beginning to happen on my new laptop which is an Acer Nitro 5 Win10 gaming laptop with an upgrade to its RAM so it has 16gb rather than just 8g. On both of the laptops I have always used and still use Razer Naga gaming mice. This problem also happens regardless of connection. I can be playing as low as 60 ping, completely clear connection, and this problem will still occur. The problem also does not seem to occur outside of GW2.

Alright so, the problem happens like this:

• I am moving around some GW2 map. Obviously we have to hold down our right click mouse button to pan the camera to steer ourselves around while being able to visually see what we need to see.
  • The problem never seems to happen out of combat, even while trying to make it happen.
  • The problem occurs when I enter combat situations and while holding down the right click mouse button to pan around and steer myself, sometimes the right click button seems to hiccup and treat itself like it isn't being pushed and held down. Then my character begins walking in a straight line while I'm holding down WASD keys, as if I weren't holding down right click at all.
  • When I bring my finger up and push it back down on the right click, it always begins working again.
  • But then a few minutes will pass and the same thing will happen, the game or laptop just seems to stop reading that I am holding down right click while taking actions and my character begins moving around only as if I were using WASD with no right or left click camera pan. Of course if I bring my finger up and push back down, it begins working again.
  • This problem sometimes will occur in intervals of 2 to 3 minutes, other days it happens like once an hour.

I have no idea on where to even begin on what's causing this. All I know is that it is a detrimental problem for competitive modes. That quick little hiccup in your right click movement capabilities is the mistake that makes the difference between winning a 1v1 against a competent player or losing it.

I'd also like to add that for the first few months that I bought the Acer Nitro 5, this problem was not occurring at all. I remember thinking "Well this is great, that old mouse pathing problem isn't happening anymore" and then within the past 3 days or so it has suddenly began to happen again, on a new laptop, which is very disappointing to say the least.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to look into to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated if you they could share. If your suggestions solves the problem, I will send you a 100g tip. I really want to fix this problem.

~ Thanks

Did you get a new mouse when you got a new computer?

If not, try swapping out to a mouse you know is working. If the mouse is starting to go, it could just be coincidence that the issue disappeared for the first few months with the new laptop.

Also try swapping to just a generic mouse that doesn't use any special software. This is to rule out mouse software being the issue.

If either fixes the problem, keep the gold.

The scenarios where this happens could be misleading. Basically it can only be a driver (USB or mouse software) or a mechanical (the mouse hardware itself) issue.

That you notice it only in combat could be a result of how you stress the mouse in that moment (e.g. lots of frequent and harder button presses).

If it is possible I would try the mouse in GW2 on an other OS, at best a windows 7 installation, which uses other USB drivers and software. If it persists, then it is most likely a hardware issue. If the mouse is a few years old, then the click sensor might be dirty or worn.

Hey Ranger Bro.

As others have suggested, could just be hardware related and an issue with the mouse itself.I would also check to see if the USB port you're using is using the same IRQ as your GPU.

If USB 3.0 port, try running the Mouse device in MSI mode (if not showing as enabled by default) by using this tool. You can revert the changes later after testing.The tool will also identify IRQ for each device.

You can try running the mouse in high priority mode too.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/

If you are adept enough. Open your mouse and with a Q tip apply Deoxit G5(no other formula) to the plungers of both of the right and left mouse button microswitches. Work each switch so that the liquid works into the switch. Let dry for about a half hour before putting the in the battery or USB cord. Your problem should magically go away.

The problem is most likely that your hand sheds skin cells and oils that build up a nasty grease within the mouse, and clog up the switches. Thus, the problem appears to go away with a new mouse for a short period of time. Its not a universal problem; it only affects specific mice with defects that make their switches vulnerable; bad software, electrical connections, etc can also often compound this.

Think of it this way, the switches in your mouse are analog and convert that to digital. If there's too much resistance then it can be hard for hardware or software to compensate, especially if it doesn't work very well to begin with.

1. Update all drivers. Try to use MS drivers instead of bundled drivers, when possible. Clean out any pre-installed crapware.
  2. Try another computer, even if you have to borrow one.
  3. Try another OS, especially a non-Windows OS such as Linux(w/ Lutris to run the game).
  4. Try another mouse, especially a "classic" mouse that doesn't require drivers.
  5. For wireless mice, avoid interference (WIFI), and bad battery brands with lower voltage. Don't mix battery types (e.g alkaline and lithium).
  6. For wired mice, inspect the cable for weaknesses, especially twists. This creates electrical resistance.
  7. Make sure your computer is properly shielded for EMI. Don't use plastic cases.
  8. Clean the switches on the mouse, using a special cleaner made for it. It has to soak in and dry out, so be careful.
  9. If the mouse has an optical lense, clean it with a microfiber cloth and eye glass cleaner solution.
  10. Gently clean the circuitboard using a soft (not hard) bristled toothbrush and isopropyl solution. Higher proof is better.

@KrHome.1920 said:The scenarios where this happens could be misleading. Basically it can only be a driver (USB or mouse software) or a mechanical (the mouse hardware itself) issue.

That you notice it only in combat could be a result of how you stress the mouse in that moment (e.g. lots of frequent and harder button presses).

That would have been my guess as well. I was having a similar issue with my five year old Razer Taipan and had to buy a new one (Razer Viper - hate it in comparison). No more issues.

P.S. Yes, you can disassemble and clean your mouse properly, but after a few years of using it it will eventually show signs of aging, regardless of maintenance.

@"Mythras.2091" said:If the mouse is not the issue, try disabling the touch pad of the laptop. It can do funny things, when you try to control the game with "two mouses" :D

Some laptop do have software that support intermediate disabling touch pad (especially gaming laptop). Look in your manual for which button that are assigned to control this feature. (Symbols on key can be hard to interpret as for what they are meant to do with row special symbols for controlling built in feature)

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Ok, I'm not sure if this is a problem with windows or my pc/laptop hardware or Razer software/hardware or possibly Guild Wars 2 or maybe even some kind of malicious software creeping around in my files somewhere.

Let me try to explain this as best I can.

Keep in mind that this has happened before on my old Toshiba laptop that was Win10 and is now beginning to happen on my new laptop which is an Acer Nitro 5 Win10 gaming laptop with an upgrade to its RAM so it has 16gb rather than just 8g. On both of the laptops I have always used and still use Razer Naga gaming mice. This problem also happens regardless of connection. I can be playing as low as 60 ping, completely clear connection, and this problem will still occur. The problem also does not seem to occur outside of GW2.

Alright so, the problem happens like this:

• I am moving around some GW2 map. Obviously we have to hold down our right click mouse button to pan the camera to steer ourselves around while being able to visually see what we need to see.
  • The problem never seems to happen out of combat, even while trying to make it happen.
  • The problem occurs when I enter combat situations and while holding down the right click mouse button to pan around and steer myself, sometimes the right click button seems to hiccup and treat itself like it isn't being pushed and held down. Then my character begins walking in a straight line while I'm holding down WASD keys, as if I weren't holding down right click at all.
  • When I bring my finger up and push it back down on the right click, it always begins working again.
  • But then a few minutes will pass and the same thing will happen, the game or laptop just seems to stop reading that I am holding down right click while taking actions and my character begins moving around only as if I were using WASD with no right or left click camera pan. Of course if I bring my finger up and push back down, it begins working again.
  • This problem sometimes will occur in intervals of 2 to 3 minutes, other days it happens like once an hour.

I have no idea on where to even begin on what's causing this. All I know is that it is a detrimental problem for competitive modes. That quick little hiccup in your right click movement capabilities is the mistake that makes the difference between winning a 1v1 against a competent player or losing it.

I'd also like to add that for the first few months that I bought the Acer Nitro 5, this problem was not occurring at all. I remember thinking "Well this is great, that old mouse pathing problem isn't happening anymore" and then within the past 3 days or so it has suddenly began to happen again, on a new laptop, which is very disappointing to say the least.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to look into to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated if you they could share. If your suggestions solves the problem, I will send you a 100g tip. I really want to fix this problem.

~ Thanks

I've had this problem with gw2 for years, and I've used multiple mice made from different companies (razer/microsoft/logitech/etc) - all I can suggest beyond switching to another new one is adjust mouse polling rate (could be called report rate)/dpi/and that one setting in razer that lets you calibrate the mouse for different surfaces (lift-off maybe). Clean the optical sensor as best you can with qtip and isopropyl if you have any. If you aren't afraid to open your mouse, do so and also clean the switch for the right-click. Razer synapse and logitech ghub are mega manky, so sometimes it's not an issue with the hardware but the software (I've found them to bug out now and then), so once in a while I make sure to quit the mouse software and re-initialize it which fixes it sometimes. Outside of gw2, strangely enough the mice I use never come across these issues in other games. I've been plagued by it ever since I started playing this game and it also comes and goes through some patches. Who knows what is behind the cause, it doesn't seem to care if I use a new mouse or different brand.

I vaguely remember having this issue when I used both a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. It went away when I switched to a corded mouse. I don’t know if they were causing interference with each other (they came from the same package) or if it may have been something like Bluetooth causing it.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I vaguely remember having this issue when I used both a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. It went away when I switched to a corded mouse. I don’t know if they were causing interference with each other (they came from the same package) or if it may have been something like Bluetooth causing it.

In the case of wireless this could very well possibly be the case of interference from other things/devices.

Oh yeah, I know this isn't ideal since you need the left-click as a camera pan (and not for direction changes) but as another test you can enable "Use either mouse button to change direction" in options if the issue pops up again, just to rule out if it's an issue with the switch on your right-click. You can then test changing directions with your left-click and see whether the game registers the click and letting you turn your character direction.

I read again and saw you have a gaming laptop. I googled any issues with it and mouses and found one possibly implicating the power supply.

Not the exact same situation but something that could be checked out.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/597767/in-my-acer-nitro-5-an515-54-my-usb-wired-gaming-mouse-disconnects-and-reconnects-randomly-help

Also try a different USB port.

Have you tried changing the polling rate in your Razer management software. Try changing it to 125

I’m blind someone recommended this already but whatever.

Try a different mouse corded usb or Bluetooth usb I think it’s just a bad mouse usually what happens to me when the left click or right click starts going out like you mentioned this happened to my old m.o.u.s.e RAT9 I think loved that mouse but left click went out on it .

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:I read again and saw you have a gaming laptop. I googled any issues with it and mouses and found one possibly implicating the power supply.

Not the exact same situation but something that could be checked out.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/597767/in-my-acer-nitro-5-an515-54-my-usb-wired-gaming-mouse-disconnects-and-reconnects-randomly-help

Also try a different USB port.

I had that issue (mouse disconnecting and reconnecting) for awhile, but I don't use a powered mouse, and it changed nothing when I changed USB ports.I don't think that person's issue (disconnecting and the mouse-lighting) are associated with the stuttering in-game.