sunqua final boss unnecessarily hard on T1 and T2? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Fractals/Dungeons/Strike Missions/Raids

sunqua final boss unnecessarily hard on T1 and T2?

This may have been discussed or maybe redundant... but while I the Sunqua fractal is beautiful and very interesting, I have found, among many pug fractal members I have played it with, that the final boss is unnecessarily hard for T1 and T2 fractals, especially when compared to any other fractal.

It doesn't make sense to me to have a 15 min complex and difficult boss fight for just 1 boss on a T1 fractal for example, when all other fractals can be done completely in 15-20 min. as a comparison...
Again, sorry this probably sounds spoiled to complain that something is too difficult, it just didn't seem properly scaled...

Comments

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's scaled properly. Your members were either under-performing in regards to DPS and/or the doing mechanics.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sunqua_Peak_Fractal#Sorrowful_Spellcaster

• Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020

I would say it is harder then it should be. But that's only because you get a lot of poor players in t1/t2. I mean I can carry alot in t1/t2 vs almost every other boss in fractals except this one so if you get 3 or 4 not so good players which happens alot it can take a few trys. Now ari raids and I bet hasn't even looked in t1/t2 in like forever but it's the same opinion everytime. Everything is fine. It's not the game it's you. Don't listen to him. They could tone it down a bit in t1/t2 and noone would complain

WvW band wagoners ruin the game mode just like Karen's ruin these forums.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

Another thing since this boss move around alot, condition classes are better then power classes and that contradict all the other fractal bosses so that might be an issue your team have as well.

@Jilora.9524 said:
    I would say it is harder then it should be. But that's only because you get a lot of poor players in t1/t2. I mean I can carry alot in t1/t2 vs almost every other boss in fractals except this one so if you get 3 or 4 not so good players which happens alot it can take a few trys. Now ari raids and I bet hasn't even looked in t1/t2 in like forever but it's the same opinion everytime. Everything is fine. It's not the game it's you. Don't listen to him. They could tone it down a bit in t1/t2 and noone would complain

If you feel that it is over-scaled then by all means prove it... with facts. Keep in mind that this fractal is very new so those players likely may not know the mechanics. It's best for them to learn the mechanics when there's not as much room for failure compared to in the higher tiers.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

If you feel that it is over-scaled then by all means prove it... with facts. Keep in mind that this fractal is very new so those players likely may not know the mechanics. It's best for them to learn the mechanics when there's not as much room for failure compared to in the higher tiers.

I don't need to. I play t1/t2 so I see the struggles. Have you done lower tiers? Yeah it's a lot of mechanics too. It's just a bit harder then all the others on t1/t2. I'm not trying to start a fight with you but anytime anyone ever struggles with strikes raids fractals anything you find easy you in here saying everything is fine so I think you just don't get it. If you play t1/t2 and can tell me you and pugs find it as easy as the rest in t1/t2 then maybe your opinion could be correct. I just doubt you run t1/t2 with pugs so saying it's scaled fine is just a guess on your part.

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

I don't need to. I play t1/t2 so I see the struggles. Have you done lower tiers? Yeah it's a lot of mechanics too. It's just a bit harder then all the others on t1/t2. I'm not trying to start a fight with you but anytime anyone ever struggles with strikes raids fractals anything you find easy you in here saying everything is fine so I think you just don't get it. If you play t1/t2 and can tell me you and pugs find it as easy as the rest in t1/t2 then maybe your opinion could be correct. I just doubt you run t1/t2 with pugs so saying it's scaled fine is just a guess on your part.

Are you going to prove that it's over-scaled?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

Right after you prove it isn't.

edited September 29, 2020

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

It's generally on the one first making the claim to back it up rather than place the burden of proof on others to disprove them.

Edit: Video guide for those having issues with the mechanics and would prefer to visually see them explained.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

It's generally on the one first making the claim to back it up rather than place the burden of proof on others to disprove them.

Edit: Video guide for those having issues with the mechanics and would prefer to visually see them explained.

I'm not the op. All I said is I agree it could be toned down and no one but you would complain even tho you do t4 I bet. So it has no effect on you but you just want to argue and ask me to prove pointless things for no reason. It's not mine or your burden. Does the video show everyone's t1/t2 exp. Does it compare that fractal in t1/t2 difficulty vs all the others in t1/t2. I know it doesn't. I play them. I see it. Idk how the eff I can prove to you other then my exp. Go do t2 with pugs put you little unlimited pots in the bank. Drop you AR to 75 ish and you tell me how easy this is with pugs vs the others. But like I said I can almost guarantee you haven't step foot in t1/t2 with pugs so why should I listen to your opinion when I play them and see it.

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

I'm not the op. All I said is I agree it could be toned down and no one but you would complain even tho you do t4 I bet. So it has no effect on you but you just want to argue and ask me to prove pointless things for no reason. It's not mine or your burden. Does the video show everyone's t1/t2 exp. Does it compare that fractal in t1/t2 difficulty vs all the others in t1/t2. I know it doesn't. I play them. I see it. Idk how the eff I can prove to you other then my exp. Go do t2 with pugs put you little unlimited pots in the bank. Drop you AR to 75 ish and you tell me how easy this is with pugs vs the others. But like I said I can almost guarantee you haven't step foot in t1/t2 with pugs so why should I listen to your opinion when I play them and see it.

Whether you are the OP or not doesn't matter. One side claims it was over-scaled and should be toned down. It's on the OP, or whoever is on that side, to back up that claim.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭

When did OP do it? It was doing 13k damage on the T1 version the first few hours it was out , but was patched since then to do ~4k.

Also AR is meaningless if the damage isn't from agony.

• the boss is literally impossible to fail as long as you don't die, it does not have an enrage, nor does it have one-shot mechanics that are not telegraphed and explained throughout the whole fractal, it only requires for players to put in a LITTLE effort to learn what their class does and what a break-bar is..... come on t2 fractals can be completed even if you barely understand your class and have a really vague idea of your rotation... the boss phase 1 is literally DON'T STAND IN THE BIG ARROW and DON'T STAND IN THE BIG CIRCLE then do cc collect the balls, rinse and repeat till she remembers the good old staff, only weaver at all boss meta days and does meteor shower, after meteors is phase 1 but spicier than flavour town, then if you have low dips she has time for another meteor and then is UNDA THE SEEEEA time , tank the thread till 8 stacks and then run behind someone or if an allie is tanking that run in front of it , after that is phase 1 but the water is EVIL then she is gonna go mid and dance in the rain while she shoots laser beams of water and then is just phase 1, dance in the rain, phase 1 dance in the rain and soo on... the only thing you should look for is a firebrand healer that can place some blocks if you have that the fractal is soo easy you cannot lose, but if people can dodge and ress if needed is not really required. you think the other ppl in fractals are pepegas without hands ? play firebrand you litterally provide quickness for yourself on your opening, pick that and carry with dps. it also makes sense that is the hardest fractal in the tier being the one that divides fractals t1 from t2 and so on.

• sometimes when you go back down to t1/t2, it feels as tho you’re playing solo instead of with a group...

:anguished:

Currently meme’ing on core mesmer for PvE content.

• TrOtskY.5927TrOtskY.5927 Member ✭✭✭

People who are arguing about whether the fractal is scaled properly etc etc.....

Fractals in general are all over the place with regards to their balance. There is a huge huge difference between the easiest T1 and the hardest T1, and the fractal level itself is certainly no indication of this.

Just food for thought

@TrOtskY.5927 said:
    People who are arguing about whether the fractal is scaled properly etc etc.....

Fractals in general are all over the place with regards to their balance. There is a huge huge difference between the easiest T1 and the hardest T1, and the fractal level itself is certainly no indication of this.

Just food for thought

Your right. The thing is 48 nightmare I can do with 4 not so good players. Last time 3 had AR of 42 or lower and died every circle claim part throughout the fractal and at the boss both times. Still an easy win cause you can carry them. Then 50 I couldn't even bring 1 of those same players and beat that. 2 fractals higher. Even 49 is no issue just not a fun fractal imo. I also judge this by how many times I see fractured groups in lfg with Sunqua last boss in the bottom 2 tiers as well. 50 I spend more time rezzing then fighting. We still win but sometimes someone leaves or it takes a few tries. I don't mind. I'm not kicking players but sometimes walking up that mountain after players 3 daily with this pug group you just know it's going to be a kitten show. I just think alot struggle early tiers but nerf it or not is fine w me. I take more issue to the players that don't even try it w pugs going it's fine. It's easy.

• Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭✭

Its the endboss of T2. Should be harder than the rest. I pugged a lot of t1-t2 for fun and those players handycap themselves with bad builds all the time.
    There needs to be something that prevents players with <1-2k dps and no support/cc from advancing tiers. The new fractal is probably easier than SO for them anyways. There are lots of stuck t2/t3 groups aswell every time SO or sirens reef are daily.
    Sunqua is easier than Sirens or SO in my opinion but its still too hard if your group consists of water eles, MM core necros etc. Almost every time i pug low level fracs for fun or recs i do at least 60% of the dps. Record is 95% with everyone being alive on art. Those players should wipe for hours until they start thinking about their strategy which consists of 50% running in circles for some of them.
    Or maybe they could upgrade their gear to at least rare or exotic with a usuable stat. Most of them are using random stuff even in t2 and there needs to be something that just tells them that this is bad.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭

You're naive to think random players are going to spend hours wiping. They're the first to give up and post an angry thread about it on reddit or social media.

@Infusion.7149 said:
    You're naive to think random players are going to spend hours wiping. They're the first to give up and post an angry thread about it on reddit or social media.

If they’re spending hours on this fractal then it’s a player skill issue.

• This boss isn't hard. At all. If anyone is dying a lot to it, it's due to not reading her cues.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

Yeah you might get it now. Players have different skill levels. So someone like you who raids strikes are easy. Someone who does t4 fractals t2 is easy but for a lot of these players stuck on Sunqua or sirens reef or w/e need to adjust and improve. Noone is saying they shouldn't but t2 Sunqua really exposes them and makes it impossible to carry. At least Sirens reef I can kill all the adds and as long as they don't get swept off the boat we good.
    I think they should tone down t1/t2 Sunqua for them. That's all. I don't for the life of me understand why players who aren't doing t1/'t2 have a problem with it

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

Yeah you might get it now. Players have different skill levels. So someone like you who raids strikes are easy. Someone who does t4 fractals t2 is easy but for a lot of these players stuck on Sunqua or sirens reef or w/e need to adjust and improve. Noone is saying they shouldn't but t2 Sunqua really exposes them and makes it impossible to carry. At least Sirens reef I can kill all the adds and as long as they don't get swept off the boat we good.
    I think they should tone down t1/t2 Sunqua for them. That's all. I don't for the life of me understand why players who aren't doing t1/'t2 have a problem with it

Content shouldn’t be toned down to the lowest skill level nor to the point that you can clear it the first time without any thought at all. The current scaling for T1 is fine.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

Content shouldn’t be toned down to the lowest skill level nor to the point that you can clear it the first time without any thought at all. The current scaling for T1 is fine.

Maybe. Of course I play t1/t2 w pugs and you don't but seem to think you can judge it as fine w/o ever playing it. I am at you repetitive reply stage you always get too so Ima end and just agree to disagree.

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

Maybe. Of course I play t1/t2 w pugs and you don't but seem to think you can judge it as fine w/o ever playing it. I am at you repetitive reply stage you always get too so Ima end and just agree to disagree.

It fine that we can agree to disagree.

Just an FYI that I had been ignoring the ad hominem parts of your posts as they had no bearing on the argument.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

Just an FYI that I had been ignoring the ad hominem parts of your posts as they had no bearing on the argument.

I'm not even going to look up what ad hominem means but ty

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

It means you’re directing your counter-argument against me rather than the argument I was making. Whether I have done the T1 fractal 100+ times or not at all has no bearing on the argument.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

It means you’re directing your counter-argument against me rather than the argument I was making. Whether I have done the T1 fractal 100+ times or not at all has no bearing on the argument.

But it does. How can you say the fractal is fine w/o doing it on those tiers. And not with 160 AR and 3 infinite pots and knowing you you a fractal god guy. Maybe the few times it's been a struggle I just had a bad group set up or a few bad players who knows. I'll find out this week as these boxes are fast and easy loot. Already got over 50.

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

But it does. How can you say the fractal is fine w/o doing it on those tiers. And not with 160 AR and 3 infinite pots and knowing you you a fractal god guy. Maybe the few times it's been a struggle I just had a bad group set up or a few bad players who knows. I'll find out this week as these boxes are fast and easy loot. Already got over 50.

And if I told you that I have done that the T1 twice without issues, would that change the argument? No.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:

And if I told you that I have done that the T1 twice without issues, would that change the argument? No.

I'd have more questions. Need more info. I hinted at a bit above. We at different skill levels and fractal exp I bet too. So it could change the argument but we agreed to disagree so lets stick to that cause we both stubborn and will go forever

• T1/T2 hard, are you kidding?
    even the CM is really easy, when you start to know the mechanics, it's always the same movements to do during the whole fight

• Noah Salazar.5430Noah Salazar.5430 Member ✭✭✭

In my opinion I agree to that

Hp of that boss culd be reduced by 33% on t1, and by 20% t2

As players ther not always have right build/gear, and are new players

And power builds have bit problem when boss moving around

T1/T2 hard, are you kidding? even the CM is really easy, when you start to know the mechanics, it's always the same movements to do during the whole fight

We talk about T1/T2 wher ppl not searching for alac/qfb/bs/2condi dps
    but joins as 4"dps" 1 healer

Ofc it's ESSSSSSS from your point of view (and my too)

• I feel it does a good job of challenging players to improve before they jump into T3/T4s. We need more challenging content on the lower end of things for people to prepare better for harder content instead of it being an immediate jump. Since the only barrier of entry to harder content in fractals is AR, which can be bought, it stands to reason the content should have a more linear progression of difficulty.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

Didn't seem anything out of the ordinary to me. By my experience, it's the special mechanics that challenge newbie pug groups not the difficulty of the boss. And this one has nothing really special. Seen groups with half the people at 0 AR do it (t1).

• Kichwas.7152Kichwas.7152 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020

I don't know about T2. I'm not that far into fractals.

But I've done it many times now on T1 and when it goes badly it's always the same things.

• people don't stand behind the rocks. I knew what to do with them the moment I saw them as this mechanic was ripped from modern FFXIV where it's in a leveling dungeon for the current expansion among other places (but that leveling expansion means I've seen it already a few hundred times).
    • People don't get the crystals to jump in the air - or they all run for the same ones and ignore the others and even as this happens no one changes direction, but instead try to out-pace each other. It seems a simple solution is in order: call it pre-pull. get the one CW or CCW of you - call that, and everyone knows what to do.
    • people let stacks of the dark orb get too high because they glory hog taking them beam to be 'the one who saves us all'...
    • people don't rez downed teammates. I have found that this fight is such that, if your DPS isn't that high - you should actually rez 'greyed out' people and get them back in. The incoming damage is often pretty low at many points and if someone has the boss occupied... rez the dead people. Unless you've got high DPS and can power through it, you want them back up for when the gimmick mechanics hit - just in case someone fails one, you need all hands around to bring downed people back up.
    • I have seen one run where it glitched. Out of I think 5 or 6 runs now. The crystals you need to get to jump in the air - we did that... and then it never transitioned to the next phase. We used /gg to wipe, and it glitched again. We did it again, it glitched again... we gave one last attempt, and it glitched again... so we gave up and left. This glitch is rare, but if it does happen you run just ended... I believe something we did in the first attempt triggered it... but unless I see that glitch again I won't have a point of comparison.

This has become my favorite fractal. It has some basic mechanics you can learn after a little bit of time, that you mostly don't just zerg through with berserk gear and stacking like everything else in pre-raid GW2...

• Which fractal is it again where you need to push lightning orbs to towers? That's the only other one I've seen with "something non-zerg fest" going on... So my second favorite even though I have less success at it (people always try to push all 4 orbs at the same tower... often one person runs around trying to take other people's orbs that were going to the right tower, and move them to a wrong tower).

But having come from a mechanics heavy MMO like FFXIV, this is the kind of content I like - where each fight requires learning a strat. And the fact that the 'hardest fractal in GW2' takes it's mechanic from a 'leveling dungeon' of FFXIV... that speaks volumes about where player skill is at with regards to mechanics here...

ps: I've been doing this is almost all exotic gear - with only ascended accessory and rings. Just barely enough agony-infusion to qualify. One a condition tempest and a power mirage... So not great gear. It's not about gear - it's just about mechanics. The boss's health is fine where it is.

Just say no to butt-flaps. | 光復香港 時代革命

• The final boss is definitely too hard. I've done T2 fractals easier than this one. My group wiped a few times until it bugged out. A big waste of time. I only tried it due to needing one more unique fractal for initiate fractal fighter and because of the event.

• Sir Alymer.3406Sir Alymer.3406 Member ✭✭✭

I did it just fine with a group of 4 players who aren't experienced at all in fractals. It's also the final boss of a tier of fractals, it's likely supposed to be difficult.

• The boss should be reasonably similar in difficulty to bosses in Shattered Observatory. It can be bit more difficult, but the gap is too large. T1/T2 Peaks = T3/T4 many other fractals in terms of difficulty.

• I am just coming back to the game after being away for 2 years.

Did this at T1 when it was the Rec.

This fight was HARD. We wiped like 6 times. Me and my team really got to understanding the fight over the course of the runs. Understanding what to do and not do.

Honestly, I thought it was very instructive. I would say keep it as-is for Tier 2. Tier 1 could maybe be tweaked a little. Lop 20% off her HP maybe?

• Sir Alymer.3406Sir Alymer.3406 Member ✭✭✭

@Tasardur.1837 said:
    The boss should be reasonably similar in difficulty to bosses in Shattered Observatory. It can be bit more difficult, but the gap is too large. T1/T2 Peaks = T3/T4 many other fractals in terms of difficulty.

I just don't see it. I wasn't even healing Sunquah t2 or even on an optimized fractal build. In fact, the 4 other players are pretty inexperienced to the whole thing and we got through it just fine with minimal explanations of what goes on.

• Deepcuts.9740Deepcuts.9740 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020

Only did T1 Sunqua like 4-5 times as a harrier Druid. Did not even try T4.
    Without exception, ended up finishing the run in 2 players, rest being dead. One run, I was the only one alive.
    Another run we actually started as 2 players party and finished without problems. Might be the scaling? Or just the final boss not bugging? Who knows.
    Cannot recall this happening on any other T1 fractal in the past.
    This fractal reminds me of...me when I started learning programming: write code, compile, run=error, leave the room for days. Repeat until mostly error free or just gave up.
    Come to think of it, most programming today seems to be like that.
    The difference is: I never asked money or get payed for my code.