Kick animation for Warrior (Female Human/Norn) to be replaced with the Ranger Kick animation [POLL]

Smoosh.2718

Please can the basic kick animation which the warrior currently does be replaced with the Rangers beast mode varient. The current kick is jarring to see/use and does not feel like it flows with the combat.

What I am proposing:This animation for Human Female and Norn female

Gets replaced with this animation:

Please have your say, with the poll bellow. Also this topic is not an invitation to those who wish to post 'i'd rather they spent their time on other areas of the game' on every single topic. This is regarding an animation change. (which is already in the game).

@"Sobx.1758" said:...but why?

Note that "it would not function in the real world" is not an actual argument to me.

The main pointer to me is that the physical kick still looks like its come from the early Beta stage of the game, your foot is going higher up in the air than you can jump. Something looks really off with it and doesnt flow with the combat due to the animation. If you want to follow up with an attack you don't want to lose your footing, which is what the warrior kick does. The Ranger kick keeps you grounded and able to follow up with an attack instantly after.

Visuals can be a big part for some people, if something looks 'cool' or feels good they are more likely to use it. To me, the current kick screams 2012 that failed to keep up with the rest of the game.

@"felix.2386" said:so basically you want better range?the only reason soulbeast kick feels better to use is because of the range...pure animation doesnt really change anything..

Where has that come from?https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kick_%28warrior_utility_skill%29https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kick_(soulbeast)

Soulbeast's kick is actually a shorter range by 30

@felix.2386 said:so basically you want better range?the only reason soulbeast kick feels better to use is because of the range...pure animation doesnt really change anything..

After testing again, either we have a tool tip error, or a bug in the game that is preventing the skill from reaching the stated 300 range... So in a way I guess you could say a fix in that case then.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Aren't the male and female animations different?

Not to mention the different races?

I should really have specified this for human female / norn looking at this. The male kick works and flows well, however it too does suffer from a tool tip error, or a bug preventing it from attacking at the described 300 range. ( I really wouldnt have looked into the range difference if it wasnt for Felix )

So it was my over sight to not state for the human female or norn female animations.

The title and poll question has been ammended due to this over sight.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

I should really have specified this for human female / norn looking at this. The male kick works and flows well, however it too does suffer from a tool tip error, or a bug preventing it from attacking at the described 300 range. ( I really wouldnt have looked into the range difference if it wasnt for Felix )

So it was my over sight to not state for the human female or norn female animations.

It may by that time ranger goes further than it is supposed to.

Do you have TaCo installed to better test it? The alternative is to use eviscerate first and see if kick goes the same distance, then check the Soulbeast kick distance.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:...but why?

Note that "it would not function in the real world" is not an actual argument to me.

The main pointer to me is that the physical kick still looks like its come from the early Beta stage of the game, your foot is going higher up in the air than you can jump. Something looks really off with it and doesnt flow with the combat due to the animation. If you want to follow up with an attack you don't want to lose your footing, which is what the warrior kick does. The Ranger kick keeps you grounded and able to follow up with an attack instantly after.

Visuals can be a big part for some people, if something looks 'cool' or feels good they are more likely to use it. To me, the current kick screams 2012 that failed to keep up with the rest of the game.

I can't really agree that it looks like something that comes from beta, but I guess it's subjective. I feel like that front kick is more fitting for warrior seeing how it has knockback on it.

• Confused 1

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Do you have TaCo installed to better test it? The alternative is to use eviscerate first and see if kick goes the same distance, then check the Soulbeast kick distance.

The warrior kick doesn't go full 300 range, it's more like 225 (considering you need 4 kicks to cover the bull's charge distance), but it seems to be hitting the targets at that 300 range.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

The warrior kick doesn't go full 300 range, it's more like 225 (considering you need 4 kicks to cover the bull's charge distance), but it seems to be hitting the targets at that 300 range.

Then make kick travel the full 300 then kick. Seeing as eviscerate hops so little I expect it is the same deal, to which I say make it also travel the full 300.

Then make kick travel the full 300 then kick. Seeing as eviscerate hops so little I expect it is the same deal, to which I say make it also travel the full 300.

It depends what anet wants tbh, the range is usually the range from which the skill hits, not the range of the travelled distance +the range of the hit I think.

That said, regardless of whether warrior's kick hits from full 300 range or not, I can say that from what I've just checked on a golem, SB gazelle kick hits from a greater range than warrior's kick, so one of them seems to not be working like intended -still someone might want to check to confirm.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

It depends what anet wants tbh, the range is usually the range from which the skill hits, not the range of the travelled distance +the range of the hit I think.

That said, regardless of whether warrior's kick hits from full 300 range or not, I can say that from what I've just checked on a golem, SB gazelle kick hits from a greater range than warrior's kick, so one of them seems to not be working like intended -still someone might want to check to confirm.

I think if someone with TaCo installed could easily correlate the range on tooltips with actual distance traveled. Don't have TaCo installed myself, but I may do that soon just to test this.

I think if someone with TaCo installed could easily correlate the range on tooltips with actual distance traveled. Don't have TaCo installed myself, but I may do that soon just to test this.

That's what I did, so I'm about 99% sure, but there's always a possibility I've missed something so having someone else check won't hurt.Used 300 range circle, put the character in this position in both cases:

https://i.imgur.com/cgGMtfM.pngwhere black circle is a golem, red circle is the one that shows after targetting it, green circle is 300 range (seen from above). Ranger kick hits, warrior kick doesn't -so at least one of them seems to be bugged.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

That's what I did, so I'm about 99% sure, but there's always a possibility I've missed something so having someone else check won't hurt.Used 300 range circle, put the character in this position in both cases:

where black circle is a golem, red circle is the one that shows after targetting it, green circle is 300 range (seen from above). Ranger kick hits, warrior kick doesn't -so at least one of them seems to be bugged.

I wonder how consistent the tooltips are then on movement skills...

where black circle is a golem, red circle is the one that shows after targetting it, green circle is 300 range (seen from above). Ranger kick hits, warrior kick doesn't -so at least one of them seems to be bugged.

Same, but I'm not checking that :D

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

Same, but I'm not checking that :D

I'm the type that would check it out... But not at this moment... Might start doing that this weekend.

kick animation is fine, i just tried soulbeast kick, i don't feel any better.maybe warrior kick has slightly longer after-cast (maybe not)

but soulbeast animation doesnt make it any better.

and about range, range on skill means that it will hit target from 300 range but doesn't make your character move 300 range.and soulbeast kick moves the character closer to target thus move farther perhaps.

also we want less skill that shares the same animation in a pvp game.

my problem with kick is that, 240 range knockback is way too short, like way way way too shortand the after cast, soulbeast's kick is for damage so after cast doesn't really matter as long as the skill hit, it's done.but for warrior kick, it can only be used for combo, not only knockback cover time is very low, the heavy after-cast of the skill paired with heavy cast time of all warrior skills, literally kills off any combo opportunity, kick is most likely one of the least well thought skills in the entire game.

@felix.2386 said:kick animation is fine, i just tried soulbeast kick, i don't feel any better.maybe warrior kick has slightly longer after-cast (maybe not)

but soulbeast animation doesnt make it any better.

and about range, range on skill means that it will hit target from 300 range but doesn't make your character move 300 range.and soulbeast kick moves the character closer to target thus move farther perhaps.

also we want less skill that shares the same animation in a pvp game.

my problem with kick is that, 240 range knockback is way too short, like way way way too shortand the after cast, soulbeast's kick is for damage so after cast doesn't really matter as long as the skill hit, it's done.but for warrior kick, it can only be used for combo, not only knockback cover time is very low, the heavy after-cast of the skill paired with heavy cast time of all warrior skills, literally kills off any combo opportunity, kick is most likely one of the least well thought skills in the entire game.

How about turn Kick into a 3 skill chain? First is the current kick, second is another kick that deals actual damage (like 1-2k?) and weakens the target with enough movement to follow the knockback distance, and the third kick has a launch of 400. Or maybe the third kick should be a daze of 2s, instead with actual damage (another 1-2k) on it? Remove the ammo charges and make the whole chain a 15s CD.

That way you can combo into it and have a utility that actually does damage for a change. Not sure on the third kick though, I see value in either approach. Grant it this won't happen, because Anet, but this is the sort of utility that warrior kind of needs right now.

How about turn Kick into a 3 skill chain? First is the current kick, second is another kick that deals actual damage (like 1-2k?) and weakens the target with enough movement to follow the knockback distance, and the third kick has a launch of 400. Or maybe the third kick should be a daze of 2s, instead with actual damage (another 1-2k) on it? Remove the ammo charges and make the whole chain a 15s CD.

That way you can combo into it and have a utility that actually does damage for a change. Not sure on the third kick though, I see value in either approach. Grant it this won't happen, because Anet, but this is the sort of utility that warrior kind of needs right now.

Tbh that would actually be nicer... two damage kicks into the knockback kick, which could be the spin kick, left leg, right leg then jump kick. At least that way the kick would have a use as a damage combo into CC.

But the current kick for human female and norn is jarring.

I do hope the design team and the balance team begin to tap heads together (with masks on of course) and redesign these phyiscal skills, if 2012 were a skill, this is what they'd be.

Tbh that would actually be nicer... two damage kicks into the knockback kick, which could be the spin kick, left leg, right leg then jump kick. At least that way the kick would have a use as a damage combo into CC.

But the current kick for human female and norn is jarring.

I do hope the design team and the balance team begin to tap heads together (with masks on of course) and redesign these phyiscal skills, if 2012 were a skill, this is what they'd be.

Not only that but Throw Bolas could use a flipover to pull the target to you. Giving Kick and Throw Bolas an ammunition system was lazy and did not help them, giving them flipovers to combo with would greatly help warrior in general.