New god of war?

Balor.8432

Could the new god of war been the PC from Guild Wars? My theory is that he/she was one of the the few to complete the ritual in the crystal dessert, complete the ritual in Cantha and the ritual in the realm of torment to meet or be looked upon the gods ( or ascend in original campaign). They also went into Tomb of the Primeval Kings, Heros Acent, Underworld and Fissure of Woe. We know now that Devona visited the FoW and fought the shadow army there.

If the god of war was replaced what is your theory on who it could be?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its hard to say, because it isn't confirmed lorewise that the PC from prophecies (Aka Chosen one) was, at the same time, the main protagonist from factions, nightfall and even Eotn (It can be so only because we played that way).

Though I would like this idea, I think its more accurate to say that each campaing had its own main character (the chosen one for prohpecies, a canthan heroe for factions and an elonian one for nightfall). Personally, I prefer to think each heroe got to meet each other: the chosen, after the events from prophecies went to cantha with mhenlo's company and met togo with factions's canthan heroe, together they beat shiro and later both of them (the chosen and the canthan heroe) went to elona after being recruited by kormir where they met nightfall's heroe and beated abbadon, that way I can combine the different lore of each type of main character in a certain armony.

It's a theory I've pondered myself. It would explain why the PC apparently disappeared from the face of the planet after 1079AE, allowing such things as the fall of Ascalon and the rise of Joko to occur in the timeframe that you would otherwise expect them to be able to do something about them.

There's even a potential explanation for the PC being so mysterious in there: towards the end of Guild Wars Beyond, we were seeing indications that the PC was actually starting to regret many of the deaths they caused and their actions that proved to have unintended consequences. So it is possible that the PC agreed to take the role, but their condition was that they would not be glorified: there would be no new god of war revealed to the Tyrians, and the actions they performed in life would be obfuscated so that all that was known was that "some hero(es)" performed the actions they did, with their name being removed from history.

Heck, one twist along this line could be that the hero actually adopts the name Balthazar - abandoning their own name (and possibly gender) in order to embody Balthazar as Balthazar should have been: an honourable soldier who encourages war only for the sake of protecting the weak rather than war for war's sake. Thus neatly sidestepping the issue of revealing who the hero was: the hero's identity as a mortal remains a mystery, but as a god the hero has become Balthazar the Second.

(I will note here, however, that I think it has to be canon that there were at least three heroes, although there's a good chance that the Prophecies hero was there for all of it apart from the starting islands. Other heroes, however, might have also been promoted into immortality similar to the Reapers, or the new God of War might even be a composite entity similar to Lyssa.)

This isn't a fact to support my theory but if the pc is the same from orginal through eotn then they fought in a lot of wars, they were old enough to be in the guild wars, though briefly they joined the war with the charr with Ruirk, the war with the stone summit, undead and white mantle, they joined the shining blade in fighting their war with the white mantle, then they fought the war against the Murssat with the help of a Seer(s) ( not sure if it was the same one or different seers during the bonus parts of missions). They later went to Cantha and fought in the war against the afflicted, luxon and kurzick war. In Elona they were honorary sunspears that fought the Warmarshall and her army then later the army of Abbadon. Then last they fought the dragons minions in the undergrounds of Tyria.

During the nightfall mission ( https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gate_of_Madness ) Lyssa Stated:

Lyssa's Muse: "The divinity is within you. And so, we give you our blessing. That should suffice for the task ahead."Lyssa's Muse: "And to you, Kormir, a most special gift."

Could mean it was just a speech to give of us hope but i think they knew something else about the PC because they mentioned Kormir with another gift.

Its just a longshot theory if the PC is Cannon.

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:It's all-but-confirmed that the Heraldof Balthazar is Devona, and in one of her scrolls the Herald mentions that she was an Eternal. Granted, though, that means that she wound up in the Fissure after death, and not necessarily that she visited in life.

At this point is actually is confirmed, albeit indirectly. Bobby Stein said that a character the community's been speculating on the identity of in the story instances of PoF is a GW1 character, and one of their lines matches a line from GW1. Herald of Balthazar (only story instance character community speculated the identity of afaik) has a near verbatim quote (difference is only in a contraction between "there is" and "there's") from Devona's Prophecies henchmen town/outpost dialogue.

@draxynnic.3719 said:It's a theory I've pondered myself. It would explain why the PC apparently disappeared from the face of the planet after 1079AE, allowing such things as the fall of Ascalon and the rise of Joko to occur in the timeframe that you would otherwise expect them to be able to do something about them.

There's even a potential explanation for the PC being so mysterious in there: towards the end of Guild Wars Beyond, we were seeing indications that the PC was actually starting to regret many of the deaths they caused and their actions that proved to have unintended consequences. So it is possible that the PC agreed to take the role, but their condition was that they would not be glorified: there would be no new god of war revealed to the Tyrians, and the actions they performed in life would be obfuscated so that all that was known was that "some hero(es)" performed the actions they did, with their name being removed from history.

Heck, one twist along this line could be that the hero actually adopts the name Balthazar - abandoning their own name (and possibly gender) in order to embody Balthazar as Balthazar should have been: an honourable soldier who encourages war only for the sake of protecting the weak rather than war for war's sake. Thus neatly sidestepping the issue of revealing who the hero was: the hero's identity as a mortal remains a mystery, but as a god the hero has become Balthazar the Second.

I like this and until we see otherwise, I'm accepting this as headcanon.

There is one major issue, however.

Dunkoro: Your spirit feels... familiar. (if account is linked to the Hall of Monuments)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dunkoro

There's also similar dialogue with Turai Ossa, but not yet confirmed if it only shows if your account is linked to the Hall of Monuments.

This seems to be a nod by ArenaNet about the idea that the GW2 character is the GW1 character reincarnated, if and only if you tied the accounts. A lovely little nod, but also one that would break the theory of Balthazar's successor being the GW1 PC.

@draxynnic.3719 said:(I will note here, however, that I think it has to be canon that there were at least three heroes, although there's a good chance that the Prophecies hero was there for all of it apart from the starting islands. Other heroes, however, might have also been promoted into immortality similar to the Reapers, or the new God of War might even be a composite entity similar to Lyssa.)

Young Heroes of Tyria do depict three different heroes. The Hero of Ascalon was likely around for Eye of the North (given the Prophecies-only quests) and War in Kryta; since we see the Ascalon's Chosen (Devona and co) in all three campaigns + Eye of the North I'd say the Hero of Ascalon was in all four campaigns and WiK/Hearts of the North. Since Kormir canonically goes to Cantha (and recruits the Zaishen), then the Shing Jea Hero may also have shown up for Nightfall. Zenmai's dialogue during Winds of Change suggest that the hero of Winds of Change is not the Sunspear Hero of Nightfall ("You remind me of a certain Sunspear I know.") but also then suggests the hero of Winds of Change was not present for Nightfall. If the Shing Jea Hero was the hero of Winds of Change, then that would imply they weren't there for Nightfall, however. Alternatively, there's dialogue throughout Winds of Change calling the PC a foreigner (even if Canthan origin) so one could argue the hero of Winds of Change was the Hero of Ascalon.

Either way, I'd argue we have the Hero of Ascalon, the Shing Jea Hero, and the Sunspear Hero. Each for their own campaign for sure, possibly for each subsequent one too, except the Sunspear Hero not being for Winds of Change given Zenmai's line.

Officially, however, I recall a dev saying there is no canon "one, two, or three heroes" and the Young Heroes of Tyria book is meant to be intentionally vague as to whether it refers to the PC or to "just another hero who did similar things at similar times". But this was years ago so opinions could have changed since.

@Torn Fierceslash.6375 said:This isn't a fact to support my theory but if the pc is the same from orginal through eotn then they fought in a lot of wars, they were old enough to be in the guild wars, though briefly

The Hero of Ascalon (I like the term drax presents, since we don't have an official one) did not partake in the Third Guild War. They were recruited on the day of the Searing into the Ascalon Vanguard, who were focused on the charr. They were complete notices that day, though they had caught the eye of Prince Rurik - hence their recruitment into the Vanguard rather than the regular army.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:The Hero of Ascalon (I like the term drax presents, since we don't have an official one) did not partake in the Third Guild War. They were recruited on the day of the Searing into the Ascalon Vanguard, who were focused on the charr. They were complete notices that day, though they had caught the eye of Prince Rurik - hence their recruitment into the Vanguard rather than the regular army.

True, I have not played PoF yet was waiting for it to go on sale. Is their any other old gw1 npcs or heros that mentions someone with linked accounts?

@"Torn Fierceslash.6375" said:True, I have not played PoF yet was waiting for it to go on sale. Is their any other old gw1 npcs or heros that mentions someone with linked accounts?

As far as I've seen, two NPCs - Dunkoro from Nightfall and Turai Ossa from Prophecies - mention a "familiar spirit" from the GW2 PC. We only got confirmation on Dunkoro's dialogue being dependent on linked accounts.

The other Ascension or Desolation ghosts don't seem to make any such comment, nor does Tahlkora. But only Dunkoro, Turai, and Tahlkora spent significant time with the PC(s) of GW1.

@Fluffball.8307 said:Hey! I posted Hero of Ascalon in the third post.

Well sorry, drax's post was the first I notice the phrase. :tongue:

Dunkoro: Your spirit feels... familiar. (if account is linked to the Hall of Monuments)

There's also similar dialogue with Turai Ossa, but not yet confirmed if it only shows if your account is linked to the Hall of Monuments.

This seems to be a nod by ArenaNet about the idea that the GW2 character is the GW1 character reincarnated, if and only if you tied the accounts. A lovely little nod, but also one that would break the theory of Balthazar's successor being the GW1 PC.

Holy kitten didn't noticed that.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

Dunkoro: Your spirit feels... familiar. (if account is linked to the Hall of Monuments)

It's a possibility, albeit it could simply mean having a similarly heroic spirit rather than being a reincarnation.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Young Heroes of Tyria do depict three different heroes. The Hero of Ascalon was likely around for Eye of the North (given the Prophecies-only quests) and War in Kryta; since we see the Ascalon's Chosen (Devona and co) in all three campaigns + Eye of the North I'd say the Hero of Ascalon was in all four campaigns and WiK/Hearts of the North. Since Kormir canonically goes to Cantha (and recruits the Zaishen), then the Shing Jea Hero may also have shown up for Nightfall. Zenmai's dialogue during Winds of Change suggest that the hero of Winds of Change is not the Sunspear Hero of Nightfall ("You remind me of a certain Sunspear I know.") but also then suggests the hero of Winds of Change was not present for Nightfall. If the Shing Jea Hero was the hero of Winds of Change, then that would imply they weren't there for Nightfall, however. Alternatively, there's dialogue throughout Winds of Change calling the PC a foreigner (even if Canthan origin) so one could argue the hero of Winds of Change was the Hero of Ascalon.

I assumed that Zenmai may have been talking about Kormir, there - we don't have any evidence of the Sunspear Hero having interacted with Zenmai (prior to Guild Wars Beyond), but Kormir canonically did do her travelling around, and may have met Zenmai while she was recruiting.

@draxynnic.3719 said:I assumed that Zenmai may have been talking about Kormir, there - we don't have any evidence of the Sunspear Hero having interacted with Zenmai (prior to Guild Wars Beyond), but Kormir canonically did do her travelling around, and may have met Zenmai while she was recruiting.

Zenmai wasn't recruited by Kormir though (only the Zaishen were iirc, from Cantha). In both the original and the second version of her recruitment quest we were the ones to find and recruit her. She was recommended via Linro (originally directly to us, then in the remake quest by missive to the Sunspears). Further, as a hero would have been traveling with the PC not Kormir during Nightfall's campaign.

I like this thread, but that theory is something that I remembered from the RPG I love most, KOTOR.But my guess would be the most obvious, and most players would have guessed it already, Rytlock Brimstone, as God of War. Raised on Charr's military society harnessing optimal aggression on feline statures, traveled The Mist, met Balthazar, has a history with the twins Sohothin and Magdaer, present on most significant events on GW2, became one of the first Revenant, a warrior through and through. A Charr War God, Ascalonians would be furious beyond their graves, now that is a story that can be spun. An event that will stir the echoes in the Mists and produce unprecedented past foes with terrible grudges bringing the Guild Wars 1 lore ashore.

Since Balthaddon was stripped of his powers before entering Tyria it's most likely he was already replaced by another one. So Rytlock is out of the game.

It would be cool if a small part of Balthazar was absorbed by the PC and you start to hear him in your head.He tries to take the control of your body and he is strong enough to force you to do things you never would do on your own.Every time you speak with Balthazar it seems you speak with yourself and your friends start to think you became insane...But in the end Balthazar helps you. You learn first hand why he became "Balthaddon" and what role Menzies played in this Game.After helping with Kralkatorrik he is able to leave your body, restore his power and own body and is again Balthazar, the true and only god of war and fire.

Maybe Dhuum is now a part of the six again? ^^

@ekarat.1085 said:It's Kralkatorrik -- how can there be a different successor if Kralkatorric ate all the energy?

Because it wasn't god energy it was mostly bloodstone energy.

My question is why didn't kralky go back to sleep? Don't the dragons go back to sleep once they have absorbed a lot of magic? Was the magic he absorbed not enough? My theory is he flew north to find a new resting spot and we don't hear from him again.

Archived