Fractal Rush - Massive Success From What I've Seen - Something Like It Should Become Baseline

Maybe it's a bit too early to say anything. But as far as the first 2 days go with fractal rush, this event has been massively successful in terms of creating community cohesion for fractal goers and even urging new players to participate who normally would shy away from the challenge.

This is what I've noticed from my subjective experience:

• Log and complete my CM/T4/Rec run around resets, nothing different there.
  • But now there is incentive to keep playing for boxes, which are actually worth farming, just right click preview.
  • So I began spinning through rerunning T4s/Recs with different groups for the purpose of box farm.
  • Get bored there so I join no req CM groups and help teach guys who are learning. This is fun but not so fast of box farm.
  • So I just start joining random low tier group postings in T3 T2 T1, helping people with random goals like "doing this for this achievement ect ect" which these groups are getting joins a lot faster due to players having reason to participate in random fractals, beyond just dailies.
  • Then I start purposely making "Come Get Carried" groups for low tier fractals, to help people increase their fractal levels. If you're a vet, it's really REALLY easy to speed clear pretty much every fractal 1-25 so long as you have extra players to do the objectives that can't be solo'd. This is actually pretty fast box farm.
  • In the process of all of this, while being friendly and not toxic, I've helped at least a dozen players directly within the past 48 hours, correct their builds and understand what they are doing wrong that is preventing them from being effective in higher tiers.

^ All of that is the kind of healthy community cohesion that Guild Wars 2 modes completely lack. The simple design of extra bonus rewards for random fractal runs while participating with new guys, does nothing but encourage patience and friendly communication. Something like the bonus boxes and community goal rewards should become baseline for fractals and even raids. Whatever it is, it doesn't need to be quite as lucrative, but this event is too healthy for the game to be dismissed as a limited event.

I think the boxes should be reduced for T4s if it's kept since right now it's based on the fractal rather than the tier. T4s have fractal encryptions and more relics to offset that.

It's 4 boxes regardess of scale for sunqua / deepstone / siren's reef / aquatic (lol) / twilight oasis / shattered observatory / nightmare.

I also think Molten Boss ought to be 2 boxes rather than 3. It's way too easy to skip mobs.

The weekly achievement for T1 needs to list which fractals have been done, 15/21 is a large amount of them since it's unique fractals (i.e. not different scales but different fractals).

@Infusion.7149 said:I think the boxes should be reduced for T4s if it's kept since right now it's based on the fractal rather than the tier. T4s have fractal encryptions and more relics to offset that.

It's 4 boxes regardess of scale for sunqua / deepstone / siren's reef / aquatic (lol) / twilight oasis / shattered observatory / nightmare.

I also think Molten Boss ought to be 2 boxes rather than 3. It's way too easy to skip mobs.

The weekly achievement for T1 needs to list which fractals have been done, 15/21 is a large amount of them since it's unique fractals (i.e. not different scales but different fractals).

The reward for Aquatic Ruins is to help players put up with the boredom of this Fractal they should've reworked. /s

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:I think the boxes should be reduced for T4s if it's kept since right now it's based on the fractal rather than the tier. T4s have fractal encryptions and more relics to offset that.

The reward for Aquatic Ruins is to help players put up with the boredom of this Fractal they should've reworked. /s

Well this is the rework so Im not sure I would like anet to rework it again to be honest.

^ All of that is the kind of healthy community cohesion that Guild Wars 2 modes completely lack. The simple design of extra bonus rewards for random fractal runs while participating with new guys, does nothing but encourage patience and friendly communication.

It does most of the time, but the toxicity is still there - for example, I was recently kicked from a daily run because I didn't join their instance within a minute or so. (I was already in the hub and couldn't find my way out). I could've said I was lost inside, but would be admitting noobishness - and as a rule I never admit that I'm new to anything because I expect the kick. (too much time spent in WoW in a previous era)

One problem is if it was permanent there's actually less incentive for new, casual and infrequent players to join in, because they can always do it later.

That's definitely the case for me. I've done Fractals before and I don't mind doing them, I also know that even without these boxes they're reasonably profitable to do. But I rarely do them because they're just not a priority for me, I enjoy other parts of the game more, so Fractals are always something I'll come back to later on when I've finished other stuff and they're always getting pushed down the list by other things.

This week I've been doing them, but only because it's a limited time event so if I don't get on and do it now I'll miss out on the special rewards. If the same rewards were available all the time then it's back to being something I can do later...but never actually get around to doing.

If you're just looking for extra rewards for people who already do Fractals then it would work, but if you're looking for a way to keep the additional population from the event then I don't think it would achieve that.

@"Nazarick.9653" said:

^ All of that is the kind of healthy community cohesion that Guild Wars 2 modes completely lack. The simple design of extra bonus rewards for random fractal runs while participating with new guys, does nothing but encourage patience and friendly communication.

It does most of the time, but the toxicity is still there - for example, I was recently kicked from a daily run because I didn't join their instance within a minute or so. (I was already in the hub and couldn't find my way out). I could've said I was lost inside, but would be admitting noobishness - and as a rule I never admit that I'm new to anything because I expect the kick. (too much time spent in WoW in a previous era)

It sounds like there was no way you could please that group (some people are like that, nothing is ever good enough for them), but in general it's actually better to let your group know when you haven't done that bit of the game before, so they know they'll need to explain when something unintuitive is going on. A lot of stuff in this game is intended to be figured out through trial and error (like bosses which have to be drawn into a specific area before they're vulnerable) but players who have done it a lot will already know what to do and will do it immediately. If you don't let them know you haven't done it before they won't know to explain and might think you're deliberately ignoring the mechanics.

For example I was doing the Volcanic Fractal yesterday and at the end one guy jumped straight off the cliff and into the lava instead of following the path around and down to the boss. While the rest of us were making our way down all he said was "gg". What he meant was that we should all type /gg to die instantly, so the entire group would respawn at the entrance to the boss room, but because none of us did Fractals or raids often we didn't know or had forgotten that command. We all thought he was using it in a more conventional sense, meaning something like "Oh kitten, I messed up, went the wrong way and now I'm dead" and we wasted a lot of time trying to get out of combat by another method so he could ressurect before he explained what he was asking us to do.

No one got kicked, but it did lead to a quick discussion of how much experience we each had with Fractals before we moved on to the next one on our list. (Which was also useful because the guy picking the fractals had assumed everyone had at least some agony resistance, but I think other than him I had the most with 7.)

• 2 weeks later...