Frost Legion = Flame Legion?

Zapgrind.2197

The situation with Frost Legion strongly reminds me of Flame. Bangar, like, is repeating history and not a single npc comments on that. And suddenly a lot of Charr kinda forgot about their own history and started defecting and stuff. And here I thought war with the Flame was important part of the history for Charr. Guess not anymore...

@Zapgrind.2197 said:The situation with Frost Legion strongly reminds me of Flame. Bangar, like, is repeating history and not a single npc comments on that. And suddenly a lot of Charr kinda forgot about their own history and started defecting and stuff. And here I thought war with the Flame was important part of the history for Charr. Guess not anymore...

Maybe jormag have a light mind control thing on them that help that ?

Charr leadership was never presented as particularly enlightened, and the heavily militarized structure of Charr society seems to have succeeded in making victory the highest value for most Charr. It's not surprising to me that an impatient leader would basically repeat the Flame Legion nonsense, and that a good amount of Charr would buy that nonsense.. "Hey guys, this suuuuper OP (and equally untrustworthy) being is going to carry us to the win! One Charr!"

At least there's a significant amount of Charr who still stick with the United Legions, so perhaps it's fair to say that maybe a good proportion of the population has indeed learned from the Flame Legion chapter of their history.

There's a lack of religious element involved.The Flame Legion were religious fanatics but to my knowledge the Frost Legion are not, even though there are many similarities I don't think the Frost Legion consider Jormag to be a God.. im still 2 episodes behind though so I could be missing some vital information there.

Suffice to say it wouldn't surprise me if they did, after all the Flame Legion once thought Destroyers were gods so it's kind of ironic that in Gw2 there's a Frost Legion allying themselves with Jormag.

I think @voltaicbore.8012 is right that a lot of charr only care about victory, they will side with whichever charr force appears to be strongest or doing the best regardless of their methods or even their aims.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the minds of a lot of modern charr the problem with the Flame Legion was that they surrendered control to their gods, and that those gods proved to be weaker than expected and ultimately incapable of fulfilling the charr's goals. Plus of course the oppression of women, which would be a huge problem for most female charr. There's also probably a lot who never really chose at all - they were born to parents in the Iron, Ash and Blood Legions, put into the legion's fahrar and ultimately became part of a warband in that legion. They didn't choose it any more than most people choose which country they're born and live in.

So they're only against the flame legion because they've spent their entire lives being told those guys are wrong and their legion is better. If they suddenly find themselves presented with a 3rd option which looks even better they're going to take it.

@Teratus.2859 said:There's a lack of religious element involved.The Flame Legion were religious fanatics but to my knowledge the Frost Legion are not, even though there are many similarities I don't think the Frost Legion consider Jormag to be a God.. im still 2 episodes behind though so I could be missing some vital information there.

Suffice to say it wouldn't surprise me if they did, after all the Flame Legion once thought Destroyers were gods so it's kind of ironic that in Gw2 there's a Frost Legion allying themselves with Jormag.

It's a pretty minor distinction. Banger is claiming he can control Jormag like he thinks the Commander controls Aurene, that he will be the one in charge, rather than asking a higher power for aid and owing them allegiance in return, but otherwise it's the same idea. Even more so when you consider that he's clearly wrong about how that will work.

The player and Aurene have a pretty unique relationship for an elder dragon and their champion, but the big difference is that the Commander gets to retain their free will and make their own decisions, that we're not fully subjugated by the dragon. We still don't get to order her around. We might be able to persuade her to see things our way and cooperate with our plans when necessary, but if she decides to do something different there's absolutely nothing we could do to stop her. (Or at least nothing besides what we've done to stop the other Elder Dragons.)