New CPU advice?

Hey guys, I'd like to hear from you about which processors will be most cost-effective for heavy MMOs like Guild Wars 2. These are my current settings:

Intel Core i5 24008 GB DDR3 @666MhzNVIDIA GeForce GTX 750KINGSTON 223 GB SSD

I was thinking of getting a processor around $ 200, like the i5 7400. Any thoughts?

And one more thing? Does this trick work for any of you? https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3x8kop/psa_guild_wars_2_fps_drops_fix/[When I'm with few players around with medium settings, my FPS varies between 40-85, and it would be nice to know if there is any other trick we can use to get more frames]

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Check https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html for single thread benchmark ranking, from there decide the cpu base on your budget.Get at least a i5.

I checked this out and the weird thing is A12-9800 is listed higher than Rhyzen, this is kind of odd; so according to this list an AMD processor that is previous generation that costs $100 is ranked higher than Rhyzen which was getting praised all over the place in Tech Literature for giving Intel a run for it's money?

I'm not suggesting that it isn't true I'm just wondering why?

@Bruno.2716 said:Thank you for the responses and for the link, helped me a lot to see what are my options. As you guys can tell, I don't know much about computers.

And I'm sticking with Intel processors, I heard that they work better with NVIDIA graphic cards.

That is a valid concern, I'm just saying at your price point AMD will give you more value, unless things have changed I'm pretty sure you can't get a Mobo and I5 CPU for $200,

@Bruno.2716 said:Thank you for the responses and for the link, helped me a lot to see what are my options. As you guys can tell, I don't know much about computers.

And I'm sticking with Intel processors, I heard that they work better with NVIDIA graphic cards.

Using AMD cpu + nvidia combo since..Lemme guess. 2004 ? Nothing to worry about there.

Dont get bummed down by some benchmark results from programs you will never use in real life that shows intel doing better than ryzen,or articles claiming ryzen is not a gaming pc.I have a second pc with a cheaper ryzen 1500x the thing is a beast and runs everything flawless.

@Bruno.2716 said:Hey guys, I'd like to hear from you about which processors will be most cost-effective for heavy MMOs like Guild Wars 2. These are my current settings:

I was thinking of getting a processor around $ 200, like the i5 7400. Any thoughts?

And one more thing? Does this trick work for any of you? https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3x8kop/psa_guild_wars_2_fps_drops_fix/[When I'm with few players around with medium settings, my FPS varies between 40-85, and it would be nice to know if there is any other trick we can use to get more frames]

the i5 7400 is incompatible with your system so you'll also require a new motherboard and potentially new ram.

@Bruno.2716 said:Hey guys, I'd like to hear from you about which processors will be most cost-effective for heavy MMOs like Guild Wars 2. These are my current settings:

http://www.microcenter.com/

i built mine from here, with mail in rebate and sales i paid ~400 bucks for a really good computer. been able to play rev on max graphics and didn't haeve to turn on overclock

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Check
for single thread benchmark ranking, from there decide the cpu base on your budget.Get at least a i5.

I checked this out and the weird thing is A12-9800 is listed higher than Rhyzen, this is kind of odd; so according to this list an AMD processor that is previous generation that costs $100 is ranked higher than Rhyzen which was getting praised all over the place in Tech Literature for giving Intel a run for it's money?

The scores are based on single core/thread perfomance. The A12 has a higher clock speed than the Ryzen 1700 allowing it to perform a little better in single core tasks. [The A12 also has low sample size] However, in multi-threaded tasks the Ryzen 1700 will win due to having 8 cores (and possibly 16 threads) vs the A12s 4 cores with no additional threads. For the mass consumer they will not use 8 cores though, this is why for years Intel only offered duo and quad cores with no hyper thread to the mainstream market even though AMD had 6~12 core cpus for extremely low prices for years. A 4 core with better single core performance is better than an 8 core. This is why i5s are still preferred by gamers. Ryzen or i7+ cpus are only helpful if you are into production work/are a streamer.

Kaby Lake (7xxx) will be a waste of time, especially as the i5 isn't that much better than what you have. Go for Coffee Lake (i5-8400) which is only slightly more expensive or Ryzen 5. (though the intel motherboards would be more expensive.... the mainstream/cheaper motherboards won't be out until a few months because $$$$.)

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Check
for single thread benchmark ranking, from there decide the cpu base on your budget.Get at least a i5.

pro is optimized version and it isn't exactly previous generation eitherit is a diff design from rhyzen

what rhyzen really win in is multi threading but gaming is still about single threading becoz devs r too lazy to optimize it for multi thread

I run the 1600X and pull 25FPS in heavy zergs, 50-60FPS in most other areas. I do run VSync so my FPS is capped at 60, otherwise I get horrible screen tearing. Either way you go, Intel 7th gen or Ryzen, you will be require a new Motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Depending on your PSU you may need to upgrade it as well.

Archived