do not mystic forge weapons for specialization

Actually the problem is that for the exotic named sunspear weapons it requires the specific item and not the skin so just unlocking the skin won't count(if it did you would be able to use the crafted weapons). So just adding to wardrobe is insufficient. Forging/salvaging/other stuff implicitly unlocks the skin as well but apparently it doesn't implicitly add to any relevant collections.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Actually the problem is that for the exotic named sunspear weapons it requires the specific item and not the skin so just unlocking the skin won't count(if it did you would be able to use the crafted weapons). So just adding to wardrobe is insufficient. Forging/salvaging/other stuff implicitly unlocks the skin as well but apparently it doesn't implicitly add to any relevant collections.

The thing is the guy did get the actual item. He's posted videos of him having bought it and salvaging it, without getting credit.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Actually the problem is that for the exotic named sunspear weapons it requires the specific item and not the skin so just unlocking the skin won't count(if it did you would be able to use the crafted weapons). So just adding to wardrobe is insufficient. Forging/salvaging/other stuff implicitly unlocks the skin as well but apparently it doesn't implicitly add to any relevant collections.

The thing is the guy did get the actual item. He's posted videos of him having bought it and salvaging it, without getting credit.

Yes but salvage is not the same as add to collection. Salvage sometimes works because sometimes it only expects to have the skin and salvaging happens to unlock the skin.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Yes but salvage is not the same as add to collection. Salvage sometimes works because sometimes it only expects to have the skin and salvaging happens to unlock the skin.

Your theory is wrong . Lets say I have a time keeper staff a black lion weapon I mystic forge it its get credited to the unlock progress in the time keepers set

@Thanks.6859 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Your theory is wrong . Lets say I have a time keeper staff a black lion weapon I mystic forge it its get credited to the unlock progress in the time keepers set

Time Keeper stuff are skins, and you can't forge those. And if you're putting a weapon with the Time Keeper skin in the forge, then the skin would obviously already be unlocked.

@Thanks.6859 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:It's fine to forge them. You just have to add them to your wardrobe first, so that the various achievements updatena bro

I just did that. It works. Right-click, "add to collection", then you can forge without an issue.

There are two separate mechanics here that combine to an unexpected result:

• 'Unlocking' a skin is making it available to the account wardrobe.
  • 'Adding to a collection' is granting credit to a collection, which has nothing directly to do with the skin; it's separate.

The confusion comes the fact that the forge always unlocks weapon (and armor) skins, but doesn't typically grant collection credit. (It also doesn't unlock minis or dyes; those have to be consumed). Trinkets work exactly the same as these weapons do: if you forge them directly, they don't grant credit for collections. If you 'add to collection' first, then they do and you can forge them after.

Accordingly, this is not a bug in the normal sense of the word: the game is working as the developers intended. However, it's super confusing and it's always going to result in people, like the OP, reasonably expecting one behavior and ending up with disappointment and frustration. So ANet ought to change things.

There are two simple-to-describe options:

• Change the forge so it's 100% consistent about unlocking skins and items to both the wardrobe and any collections. (And while they're at it, why not include minis and dyes?)
  • Change the specialization collections to require the 'skin' and not the weapon (then it shouldn't matter if it's forged first or not).

tl;dr

• Adding to collection first avoids the OP's situation entirely.
  • It's not a bug, but all the same, it ought to be changed (with similar urgency); the current mechanic results in reasonable people dealing with unexpected (and frustrating) results

I've agreed that, whether it's a bug or not, ANet still out to change it, because there's no reason people should be stymied by this. I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

@Thanks.6859 said:Going to kill the whole unlock theory youtube.com/watch?v=4Att9QRN3bY&feature=youtu.beYou still are comparing two different mechanics: unlocking the skin and adding to the collection. We can entirely bypass any issue by right-clicking and adding to the collection. Apparently, salvaging manage both the skin unlock and the collection, whereas forging just unlocks the skin. But again, my suggestion was to avoid any confusion by adding to the collection first. And this isn't new: it's been the same for unbound trinkets like Sam; they don't auto-add to the collection when forged either.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I've agreed that, whether it's a bug or not, ANet still out to change it, because there's no reason people should be stymied by this. I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

@Thanks.6859 said:Going to kill the whole unlock theory youtube.com/watch?v=4Att9QRN3bY&feature=youtu.beYou still are comparing two different mechanics: unlocking the skin and adding to the collection. We can entirely bypass any issue by right-clicking and adding to the collection. Apparently, salvaging manage both the skin unlock and the collection, whereas forging just unlocks the skin. But again, my suggestion was to avoid any confusion by adding to the collection first. And this isn't new: it's been the same for unbound trinkets like Sam; they don't auto-add to the collection when forged either.

Did you not see I unlocked the skin and achievement by just salvaging it ? like it supposed to you keep talking in circles

Archived