How come are the sylvari able to hear Jormag's whispers? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

How come are the sylvari able to hear Jormag's whispers?

Morena.4567Morena.4567 Member ✭✭
edited October 6, 2020 in Lore

Basically the title.

Because ever since Mordremoth times, we've known that the sylvari can't be Risen or Branded because they already were Modremoth's minions and Elder Dragons can't or don't just steal each other's minions. But in Icebrood Saga, sylvari can hear Jormag's influential whispers the same way any other race can. Why is that possible? Is it because of a lore part I missed (specifically a find that once an ED is dead, any other ED can just clam its minions?) or because now Jormag has a portion of Mordremoth's magic and therefore has an access to the minds of sylvari?

I just find it a bit strange that there are no other sylvari-as-dragon-minions except for Mordrem, but the sylvari, especially the Commander, can still hear Jormag's whispers.

Comments

• I guess it's just because Jormag ate part of Mordremoth.

• Mental magic is not corruption, plain and simple. People aren't being turned into icebrood just because they're hearing telepathic magic.

And no, the whispers have nothing to do with Mordremoth - Jormag was doing this back in GW1.

I just find it a bit strange that there are no other sylvari-as-dragon-minions except for Mordrem, but the sylvari, especially the Commander, can still hear Jormag's whispers.

Technically, the Facets created by Glint are similar to sylvari, but were born with less free will / intelligence. They're "purified dragon minions" just like sylvari.

All these squares make a circle.

• Technically, the Facets created by Glint are similar to sylvari, but were born with less free will / intelligence. They're "purified dragon minions" just like sylvari.

do we know that for sure? that the Facets are purified? I've always thought the Facets were just the product of ANet being too lazy to create new models.

• Aeon.4583Aeon.4583 Member ✭✭✭

Mordremoth is dead. Central Hive mind of Sylvari is dead. Just like Kralkatorrik took hive mind and undead abilities from dead dragons, so does Jormag. But, if you pay attention to lore, it seems Jormag been able to do that in his own way before Mordremoth's death. Mordremoth's death might enhanced that ability of Jormag.

Sylvari are their own Sentient beings now. No longer minions of Elder Dragon, and might not have immunity they had before.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020

@Morena.4567 said:

Technically, the Facets created by Glint are similar to sylvari, but were born with less free will / intelligence. They're "purified dragon minions" just like sylvari.

do we know that for sure? that the Facets are purified? I've always thought the Facets were just the product of ANet being too lazy to create new models.

Technically, Glint is the purified dragon minion and the Facets are her creations.
    They aren't bound to Kralkatorrik, because Glint herself is free.
    So, if anything, Glint would be the better comparison to Sylvari.

The whispers of Jormag have nothing to do with being a dragon minion or not.
    We have heard the Mouth and Eyes of Zhaitan talk in place of the dragon.
    Jormag basically does the same, just with direct control.

@Aeon.4583 said:
    Sylvari are their own Sentient beings now. No longer minions of Elder Dragon, and might not have immunity they had before.

As we have seen with Caithe and Aurene, Sylvari can be corrupted by other dragons now.
    And yes, it is corruption, even if Caithe calls it something different.

• I agree with most of you, I definitely do and also personaly hoped for sylvari being corruptable because of Mordremoth not being around anymore, but of all things, I'm really interested if this was confirmed on any level by devs or in the game? (by "this" I mean sylvari (or any other dragon minions) being vulnerable to other Elder Dragons now only after Mordremoth's (or in generally their master's) death)

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Morena.4567 said:
    I agree with most of you, I definitely do and also personaly hoped for sylvari being corruptable because of Mordremoth not being around anymore, but of all things, I'm really interested if this was confirmed on any level by devs or in the game? (by "this" I mean sylvari (or any other dragon minions) being vulnerable to other Elder Dragons now only after Mordremoth's (or in generally their master's) death)

No, there hasn’t been any confirmation, will definitely be a topic to ask if they ever do a lore q/a again