Anet , i would like to request please that you can remove followers — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Anet , i would like to request please that you can remove followers

Would love to see a updated version of contacts, similar to other online games, that friendship be mutually requested, and to remove unwanted followers, without having to change account details.

Comments

• Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭✭

@carey.3169 said:
    Would love to see a updated version of contacts, similar to other online games, that friendship be mutually requested, and to remove unwanted followers, without having to change account details.

What's the issue with the current system? Not attacking, just curious.

• Tiilimon.6094Tiilimon.6094 Member ✭✭✭

My workaround is adding everyone to friends xP follower list stays empty and clean, but it takes about 10 minutes to scroll down the friend list...

• @Danikat.8537 said:
    A mutual friend system where requests have to be approved would make it much easier to add friends, especially when you're adding several people or people you know from outside the game (meaning you might not have their character or display name).

Earlier this year several of my friends got GW2 and when I found out I gave them my display name and told them to add me...then realised I had no way of knowing if they'd done it or picking them out of my followers list so I could also add them to my friends list. There's lots of people on my followers list I don't know, or at least I don't recognise the names, and people seem to come and go all the time so I couldn't just rely on finding new names. I was able to identify a couple of my friends because I recognised the names they were using, but other people couldn't even remember what they'd called themselves so it took ages to find and add everyone.

Maybe have an option when adding someone to the friendslist to sent them an email in game with a standard text that can be customized. So when you added someone you get a pop-up saying:
    Danikat.8537 was succesfully added to your friendslist. To see more info ask Danikat.8537 to add you as well by sending him an email. Do you want to sent this now? Yes - No

When you click yes an email to you is made with a default text : Hi Danikat.8537, I have added you to my friendslist. do you want to do the same?
    This text can be customized

• @mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:
    A mutual friend system where requests have to be approved would make it much easier to add friends, especially when you're adding several people or people you know from outside the game (meaning you might not have their character or display name).

Earlier this year several of my friends got GW2 and when I found out I gave them my display name and told them to add me...then realised I had no way of knowing if they'd done it or picking them out of my followers list so I could also add them to my friends list. There's lots of people on my followers list I don't know, or at least I don't recognise the names, and people seem to come and go all the time so I couldn't just rely on finding new names. I was able to identify a couple of my friends because I recognised the names they were using, but other people couldn't even remember what they'd called themselves so it took ages to find and add everyone.

Maybe have an option when adding someone to the friendslist to sent them an email in game with a standard text that can be customized. So when you added someone you get a pop-up saying:
    Danikat.8537 was succesfully added to your friendslist. To see more info ask Danikat.8537 to add you as well by sending him an email. Do you want to sent this now? Yes - No

When you click yes an email to you is made with a default text : Hi Danikat.8537, I have added you to my friendslist. do you want to do the same?
    This text can be customized

That would probably really irritate popular players. (Devs, streamers, partners, etc.)

• Yggranya.5201Yggranya.5201 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020

From the moment i remembered that this stupid thing existed, i have been "offline". Wish i would have remembered sooner, because at that point some people had already added themselves, without my consent, to followers(Friends, HAH!). It doesn't really bother me that much because i'm "offline", but if some people have friends in-game, i can easily see how it would be inconvenient.

I mean, it shouldn't be a problem to tell your friends where you are so they can come along, why in the hell do some random mooks need to know where you are all the time? Why does anyone need to know where you are? "Because commanders"? Pfft...

Why has nothing been done about it? Because nobody has made a social media kittenstorm about it.

• Please no

The unrestricted friendlist+nickname tool is the main feature for me to recognize people and check who I can ask for help. It also helps returning veterans to pick up contact with people after months or years of being away from the game.

Apart from that, there is a main weird bug in Guild Member Lists (that hasn't been addressed for years ...) where you can't see some of the Guild Members online (even thought unblocked and online status in their perspective), and adding them to your fl is currently the only way I've found to get rid of the bug ...

The softblock would be a fair solution, since, apart from the mentioned critical cases like relationships and co. most of the people would not care about being followed. Having to accept followers would again leave a weird relation status feeling where one is the famous kitten and the other one is the inferior.

If you want to make sure you don't get lost with new followers, just tell them to send you a letter (you can even give them your character name for this!) and you'll have their propper account name in the inbox.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

How about they give those paranoid about it the option to just hide the tab.

• Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭✭

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@carey.3169 said:

The problem comes in when you have a harasser in game (or out of game) that follows you. Yea ... kinda had a few of those and yes I do block them but if they follow you to try to keep harassing you then, at least from I can see on my lists, they can still see you. The only good thing is since I have blocked them I don't see stuff from them ... others can thou. All because they followed me.

Gross

• I mentor a lot and my followers list is pretty long. Never had a problem. Dont see the problem. My block list on the other hand has 1 entry (I remove blocked people once I forgot why I blocked them, but still, in all these years I maybe blocked half a douzend),

• CalamityO.2890CalamityO.2890 Member ✭✭✭

I second this motion of removing followers from friends list. Carrying dead weights on your friend/followers list isn't fun. Over the years I've picked up people that haven't touched the game in years, if they do return, I personally had to mail them if they could remove me. Some do willingly, others had to due to being blocked and some just flat out refused. The ones that refused, here's the thing, they've been gone from the game for years. Had no to little contact or even played with. So yeah, clean out of friends/followers list is something I would like to see.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would be in total support of a friend system overhaul. (Assuming they give us enough time to grab names from our list before the new system goes into place so we can re-add people. But it seems like a nobrainer that they would give a warning)

I don't really understand why the system is the way it is.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Max Masteries | 20k AP

• I sometimes find that I can't send mail or party invitations to someone unless I friend them first. No idea why, but it ends up with me friending a lot of strangers, and often forgetting to delete them after sending them the item/message or doing the party event with them. I once had a paranoid guy demand to know why I was following him, and had no idea why, only that we probably did an event together at some point in the past.

• CalamityO.2890CalamityO.2890 Member ✭✭✭

Bump, just so it still gets attention

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zephire.8049 said:
    It very much needs an overhaul, or at the very least changed so blocking someone removes them from your followers and they can't see where you are.

A million times this ^

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

The option to remove should already have been in place eight years ago.
    While I would very much welcome such an option, I can't see Arenanet ever implementing it.

Why did we need to have a follower list in the first place anyway?
    Friend lists and block lists always had been sufficient in GW1.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like the current system - I know the mains of all of my good friends, or can roughly guess based on their account names - so I can freely use my FL to add exceptionally cool people I probably won't talk to again, but I would join them if I saw them on the lfg (friends = blue colour).

• Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2020

If I see some follower I don't know I block them and they are gone. While this may seem dramatic they also don't get the rejection of knowing it as if we actually could remove followers. They can still see me online I guess but who cares. And the stalking thing is rare I'm sure so if this follower of mine who I blocked shows up on maps I'm on I am also not going to get upset by pixels who can't talk/mail me so the system is fine I think

WvW band wagoners ruin the game mode just like Karen's ruin these forums.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's not really necessary to bump a thread that is only 2 days old. If people want to read it, they can find it using the search function or simply scroll through page 1 and 2.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Sir Alymer.3406Sir Alymer.3406 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020

Yeah, the followers and contacts system just seems like a ductaped solution to a problem that they have yet to fix. I do like the current contact system because I can add people to write notes with their nickname on where I've met them with "(Display Name) (WvW, PvP, Fracts, Raids)" and give them invites to groups that are forming up. If they don't respond, I just remove them after a while. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want any of this to change.

• Friends should be mutual and come with a tagging system for what game mode/activity you met them in along with a "last online" feature that guilds have so you can keep an active friends list if you desire.

• Invisible status should be updated and fixed to no longer show location to mutual contacts (Which become your friends in this new system)

• Blocklist should show display name only. No online or location status and perhaps be mutual (I don't want to see messages from someone who has me blocked and the reverse is true.)

• With the blocklist updates, there should be a new system "Mutes" that allow you to temporarily block someone for 1, 5, 12, or 24 hours because sometimes, someone's just being obnoxious in chat and a block is permanent while a temporary mute would suffice since you'll likely not meet them again anytime soon. People added to this list are automatically removed after the time limit is up.

• Mail and whispers should have a friends, party, squad & mutual Guild members only options. (no more mail or random whispers from people you don't know)

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:
    Why not add a sprocket to the top-right corner of the contacts-tab, with a couple of customization options:

• Display Followers
    • Display Blocked
    • Allow Followers to see my status (online, offline, idle)
    • Allow Followers to whisper me
    • Allow Followers to send me mails
    • Allow Followers to gift me Gemstore Items
    • Allow Strangers to whisper me
    • Allow Strangers to send me mails
    • Allow Friends to see my status (online, offline, idle)
    • Allow Friends to whisper me
    • Allow Friends to send me mails
    • Allow Friends to gift me Gemstore Items
    • Allow Blocked to see my status (online, offline, idle)

In addition I would like to ask

• to disallow Invisible people whispering anyone
    • to disallow whispering to a Blocked player

Despite my suggestions, t his seems to be the most likely thing to happen as it doesn't change much about how the current system works.

• Handin.4032Handin.4032 Member ✭✭✭

There are really two issues that result from the system:
    1. It much more easily allows for harassment/stalking in game (finding when a player is online/offline, where they are, etc).
    2. In WvW, this is one of the ways people guild/tag watch to see when certain groups are on online, what map they're on, etc. They can block -> get account name -> add to friends. If they are on the MAIN server, opponents show as just "World vs World". If they are on a LINKED server, they can see the BL the person is on. So, they can see if a person swaps maps very easily. This can greatly inhibit stealth caps (e.g. you make your tag private, your raid ports to a random BL, and....the enemy is already there waiting).

While both of these things can be solved by going invisible, that also then inhibits the person being FOLLOWED more than it does the person following. I don't think it would be too much to ask, or too breaking, to have a notification when you gain a follower, and the ability to right-click -> remove follower.

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭

Other games have extensive manage screens for guilds and friends.

Anet chose to neglect those areas and focus on world and story development.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

• I'd like to remove complete strangers I have never met.

Various options would also be nice, for example in case friend requests existed there would be a way to block those.
    Guild invitations are another example, at least I was able to create a maximum amount of guilds so they can't send them anymore.

let the sky fall

• I would also be happy about a better solution. Always found it strange that my followers list is longer than my friends list, because I usually have different times than most of my guild where everybody is older. That's why I often play alone and also generally don't add people.
    I like my friendlist compact, with people I do a lot of things with. I do not like to add people randomly.

I once wrote to people on my follower list and asked them why they follow me. Almost all of them had no idea and said that they followed all the peoplpe they had fun with in Fraks or Raids.
    People who do this really organized, could write to the people ^^''. I mean, did one of you ever think about whether the other one felt the same way?
    If so, that's great then maybe you have found a new friend. But if not, it's only fair to leave him alone.
    The block list could also be reworked. I don't want to play fractals with people who blocked because they were offensive.
    Recently I even had the first case ever where someone from his newly formed group kicked me out, for whatever reason.
    Then I started my own group because there were no others at that time. And after a few minutes he suddenly joined my group. I told him that he should please not join my group. But it seemed that he was not able to answer, so I dissolved the group to make a new one and he joined my group again and again even when I blocked him ...
    This was the first time that something so strange happened to me, but this is exactly what a blocklist should prevent oO.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@carey.3169 said:

The problem comes in when you have a harasser in game (or out of game) that follows you. Yea ... kinda had a few of those and yes I do block them but if they follow you to try to keep harassing you then, at least from I can see on my lists, they can still see you. The only good thing is since I have blocked them I don't see stuff from them ... others can thou. All because they followed me.

If they are actually harassing you report them. If they continue to harass you report them again. If Anet does not act upon the harassment contact the authorities.]

All of this predicated on the assumption that we are talking about actual harassment here.

That said, it is weird that ANet provides tools to allow strangers to monitor you in game. I would not oppose a change to the system.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashen.2907 said:

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@carey.3169 said:

If they are actually harassing you report them. If they continue to harass you report them again. If Anet does not act upon the harassment contact the authorities.]

All of this predicated on the assumption that we are talking about actual harassment here.

That said, it is weird that ANet provides tools to allow strangers to monitor you in game. I would not oppose a change to the system.

Well to some in these threads it seems like even adding them to your friend list and becoming their follower is harassment.
    I recall someone complaining that people they had blocked somehow found them and kept jumping up and down on them all the time.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@carey.3169 said:

Well to some in these threads it seems like even adding them to your friend list and becoming their follower is harassment.
    I recall someone complaining that people they had blocked somehow found them and kept jumping up and down on them all the time.

I think that the term harassment is thrown around a bit too lightly these days. My kid sister, when I was growing up, constantly asked to accompany my friends and I when we went out. Should I have called the police to report her for harassment?

• firedragon.8953firedragon.8953 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020

They should just add a check box "Allow 'followers' to see my status" or "Hide my status from 'followers'".

If you are harassed by someone you can block them. It is their "friend list" real estate, not yours. Do you really want to go through and periodically purge your follower list? It may be cathartic for some, but something about this seems unhealthy for society virtual or otherwise. It's the same silliness as "facebook friend purges" etc.

So with that, also this.

@Zephire.8049 said:
    It very much needs an overhaul, or at the very least changed so blocking someone removes them from your followers and they can't see where you are.

I sometimes add people that I do not intend to be friends with, but met out-of-game, forums, etc., and 'follow' so I can contact them when they are online. Or it just serves as a reminder for someone that was a good member in a PUG. 96% of the time I never contact followers more than once or twice. My follower's list is just basically a list of acquaintances that I normally don't play with. This can be helpful for realizing I've met someone before when they play an alt with a vastly different name and account names are really the only way to know who a player is. But, yeah outright taking the action of blocking someone should forcefully remove their ability to follow you.