Revenant Could Compete with Chronos

SmashGd.1056

We all love a good chronomancer in our raid groups giving us that permenant alacrity. There is no denying that they are busted, but when we look at Revenant we see a potential to do a very similar job. With renegade' s "Orders from Above" and the trait to natural harmony we have an almost permanent alacrity rotation but there are some flaws it is very clunky to use. Here are some suggestions for changes I would love to see revenant be a viable alternative to chronomancer tanks for raids.

Orders from above: increase the base duration to 6 seconds so that way traited it lasts through a stance swap. Reduce energy cost to 20

Natural Harmony: decrease healing and scaling healing by 50% increase the radius to 360 to match the orders from above. Decrease energy cost to 10.

Natural abundance trait: added effect orbs around ventari's tablet also grant quickness for 1 sec reduce base healing by 10%

TLDR: revenant should be able to maintain alacrity on their team without having to spend all their energy to do so. Decrease costs, increase OFA base duration, increase radius and nerf healing output on Natural harmony.

I don't want to replace a Chrono in a raid. The class does low dps so if we take away their support then once again a class is excluded. Not good if you play it. I have waited so long for Rev to be "meta" again and I'm ok with giving us a bit more support but not to the extent where it kicks out another class. Besides, doing good dps is fun as well and being an asset to your group just adds to that.

Now if alacrity were the only thing which chronos provide....

Let's fit in some boonshare, quickness and distortion in your suggestion, then chrono might get replaced.

I do like the idea of having revenant provide alacrity to make it more attractive on a dps spot. That way chrono can take along a different set of phantasms and up its damage a little too. Overall raid benefit.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Now if alacrity were the only thing which chronos provide....

Let's fit in some boonshare, quickness and distortion in your suggestion, then chrono might get replaced.

I do like the idea of having revenant provide alacrity to make it more attractive on a dps spot. That way chrono can take along a different set of phantasms and up its damage a little too. Overall raid benefit.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say...a win/win!!! ;)

@Joxer.6024 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Now if alacrity were the only thing which chronos provide....

The problem is tho that for alacrity uptime to be even close to useful the Rev has to take Ventari, which means he'll be your healer. Now you either need to bring a Soulbeast who's gimping his dps to bring double spirits/Spotter, a Condi druid who does low dps, or just go without Ranger/Druid buffs... I think any of these options would be significantly lower DPS than you'd make up from having better phantasms.

@narcx.3570 said:

@Joxer.6024 said:

The problem is tho that for alacrity uptime to be even close to useful the Rev has to take Ventari, which means he'll be your healer. Now you either need to bring a Soulbeast who's gimping his dps to bring double spirits/Spotter, a Condi druid who does low dps, or just go without Ranger/Druid buffs... I think any of these options would be significantly lower DPS than you'd make up from having better phantasms.

Yup, and having tried the "support renegade" I for one would just like to stick with being dps and bringing some might to my group, which is what we have been doing and to great success! It just starts to get to messy and not worth it once you star messing around.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Now if alacrity were the only thing > @Joxer.6024 said:I don't want to replace a Chrono in a raid. The class does low dps so if we take away their support then once again a class is excluded. Not good if you play it. I have waited so long for Rev to be "meta" again and I'm ok with giving us a bit more support but not to the extent where it kicks out another class. Besides, doing good dps is fun as well and being an asset to your group just adds to that.

First off never once did I say "replace" I said an alternative because what this community knows but refuses to acknowledge is that chronomancer is then only supplier of alacrity and many other boon sharing and quickness and even distortion. It is completely broken in every regard, so why shame a class for trying to have a similar role yet different playstyle?

This "one button metabuild only way to play this class" is a terrible design aspect go play GW1 and see all the variations of builds that work.

@SmashGd.1056 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Now if alacrity were the only thing > @Joxer.6024 said:I don't want to replace a Chrono in a raid. The class does low dps so if we take away their support then once again a class is excluded. Not good if you play it. I have waited so long for Rev to be "meta" again and I'm ok with giving us a bit more support but not to the extent where it kicks out another class. Besides, doing good dps is fun as well and being an asset to your group just adds to that.

First off never once did I say "replace" I said an alternative because what this community knows but refuses to acknowledge is that chronomancer is then only supplier of alacrity and many other boon sharing and quickness and even distortion. It is completely broken in every regard, so why shame a class for trying to have a similar role yet different playstyle?

This "one button metabuild only way to play this class" is a terrible design aspect go play GW1 and see all the variations of builds that work.

The problem is more that the current raid pilars (chrono/druid/cPS) are overwhelmingly better at what they does than any combination of other professions can do. Each of them add something that no other profession can give and that little extra is good enough to shut down all possible concurrent for their spot. Individually these 3 specialization aren't anything special but in a group nothing can replace them. The just are overwhelmingly optimal for what they do.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@SmashGd.1056 said:

The problem is more that the current raid pilars (chrono/druid/cPS) are overwhelmingly better at what they does than any combination of other professions can do. Each of them add something that no other profession can give and that little extra is good enough to shut down all possible concurrent for their spot. Individually these 3 specialization aren't anything special but in a group nothing can replace them. The just are overwhelmingly optimal for what they do.

I 100% agree with you sir, my OP gives a start to allowing Revenants to start to fill a similar role yes I realize this is a begging for buffs post but since we just agreed that chrono is undeniably better at providing those buffs then at least let it be a viable option, yes it may never be optimal but at least for us who don't want to have to play a chrono we have another option, it may not be the top optimal but at least the community can understand someone not wanting to be pidgeonholed into playing one class for the job.

@SmashGd.1056 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@SmashGd.1056 said:

I 100% agree with you sir, my OP gives a start to allowing Revenants to start to fill a similar role yes I realize this is a begging for buffs post but since we just agreed that chrono is undeniably better at providing those buffs then at least let it be a viable option, yes it may never be optimal but at least for us who don't want to have to play a chrono we have another option, it may not be the top optimal but at least the community can understand someone not wanting to be pidgeonholed into playing one class for the job.

"understand someone not wanting to be pidgeonholed into playing one class for the job."

That was me in a nutshell. Got sooo tired of playing cPS but had to cuz we "needed the banners". Now I play my rev and bring might and fury, and its working. Add some other things in there and yea, more options! I never liked War which is why I didn't roll one back in the day but at the time our team needed one and no one else would go there so I caved. Now I am holding strong to playing Rev and hopefully the new raids will have something different that makes us shin even more!

Play core chrono and tell me if groups will bring you for distortion and boon share. They don't.

That side utility is not why people bring mesmer. It's always been the alacrity and quickness.

@Zenith.7301 said:

Play core chrono and tell me if groups will bring you for distortion and boon share. They don't.

That side utility is not why people bring mesmer. It's always been the alacrity and quickness.

What's core chrono?

If chrono were brought only for alacrity and quickness, the new meta would have had them replaced with Firebrand and Renegade. Both of those classes can provide perma quickness and alacrity and the raid damage total would be higher than bringing 1 chrono.

The meta is dictated by a certain skill level and maximum flexibility aspossible. Experienced groups make use of distortion (and boon share is automatic, so kind of hard to remove that). This in turn makes chrono more valuable, even if 2 classes could outperform him as far as quickness, alacrity and damage goes. It's the mix of everything the chrono provides which makes it so strong, not only alacrity and quickness.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

What's core chrono?

If chrono were brought only for alacrity and quickness, the new meta would have had them replaced with Firebrand and Renegade. Both of those classes can provide perma quickness and alacrity and the raid damage total would be higher than bringing 1 chrono.

The meta is dictated by a certain skill level and maximum flexibility aspossible. Experienced groups make use of distortion (and boon share is automatic, so kind of hard to remove that). This in turn makes chrono more valuable, even if 2 classes could outperform him as far as quickness, alacrity and damage goes. It's the mix of everything the chrono provides which makes it so strong, not only alacrity and quickness.

QTF runs chronos because they speedrun, distortion allows them to skip mechanics like not other so chrono will never be replaced on their tier list. But most people do not really use distortion the most optional way from my experience. But yes experienced chrono really carries the raid and other classes have hard time keeping up. Does not mean you should not test firebrand+renegade+soulbeast party if it works better for your guild!

@Caccis.9087 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

What's core chrono?

QTF runs chronos because they speedrun, distortion allows them to skip mechanics like not other so chrono will never be replaced on their tier list. But most people do not really use distortion the most optional way from my experience. But yes experienced chrono really carries the raid and other classes have hard time keeping up. Does not mean you should not test firebrand+renegade+soulbeast party if it works better for your guild!

Agreed we should test and a facelift on revenant would allow it to be less clunky and maintain true permanent alacrity I think a firebrand + minstrel revenant might make a pretty powerful combination

Archived