Another returning player posts a forum post asking for help.

My wife and I started playing GW2 back when it released, but we fell off shortly before HoT had launched. A bit after we tried to return for a little while, but it didn't up working super great. We've decided to return and jump with both feet in. Though, we're having some problems picking which classes we want to play, or trying to find a guild that we mesh/click with.

• After doing some research, it seems we also can't find too many great content creators with guides on new/returning players. Other than ones that a few months old at least. If you guys know of any, could you provide a quick list?
  • We're worried about some classes being excluded or not viable for fractals and raids. (Looking at you, Necro/reaper/scourge. )
  • Or a really difficult to learn to play at a higher/optimal level. (Weaver...)
  • Finally, how is the state of the game? What are some decent duo jobs? She has a preference for heavy armor ones, while I really wanna play something light armor.
  • Is there a damager parser that's used? We may not care about top tippy dps, or speedruns, but I believe to be a good raider, or a strong pve teammate, you gotta be able to monitor progress and growth on a damage scale.
  • A discord that's active? I suppose that falls into hoping to find a guild/clan to hang with.
  • I don't know if this matters, We're on Dragonband. We do have HoT, but not PoF. We plan on picking it up Friday.

Our goals is to find a class that we can grow into.. Grow as a player, and as a team. Hopefully dipping into duo-ing dungeons for the transmog, maybe go into WvW, Team ranked Pvp, and raiding at a higher level, but not a speedrun mindset. What classes would you recommend to check out, resources that's available. What're some good endgame tasks that you personally enjoy?

0 Comments

@NoctisKunz.3947 said:My wife and I started playing GW2 back when it released, but we fell off shortly before HoT had launched. A bit after we tried to return for a little while, but it didn't up working super great. We've decided to return and jump with both feet in. Though, we're having some problems picking which classes we want to play, or trying to find a guild that we mesh/click with.

Welcome back.

@NoctisKunz.3947 said:

• After doing some research, it seems we also can't find too many great content creators with guides on new/returning players. Other than ones that a few months old at least. If you guys know of any, could you provide a quick list?

What you are probably looking for is the summary of Kyosika of what has happened game wise up to 2020:

@NoctisKunz.3947 said:

• We're worried about some classes being excluded or not viable for fractals and raids. (Looking at you, Necro/reaper/scourge. )
  • Or a really difficult to learn to play at a higher/optimal level. (Weaver...)
  • Finally, how is the state of the game? What are some decent duo jobs? She has a preference for heavy armor ones, while I really wanna play something light armor.

My usual recommendation is to find a class one enjoys rather than play something which is "in demand". Balance cycles make it so if the goal is to always be "in demand" for the top 10%, it becomes necessary to play multiple characters. That said, playing a duo comp does allows for a few additional approaches over being solo.

Firebrand+Renegade (Firebrigade)The currently likely overall strongest duo comp for getting into all challenging group content be it fractals or raids. Both classes have highly desired builds in multiple areas. Guardian being the master of all currently with being able to perform just about every role (heal firebrand, quickbrand, power dps firebrand or dragonhunter, condi firebrand) and revenant as a close second (alacrity renegade, heal renegade, condi renegade). Their ease of play is just the icing on top.

Chrono+DruidThe classic duo. Still very strong and high demand for raids. Will perform adequately in fractals up to challenge modes where the Firebrigade comp is in far higher demand.

Firebrand+ChronoStill works for regular fractals and raids. Not quite as optimized as the other 2 combos but would fit the bill of heavy armor and light armor that you are looking for when running a support set.

Necromancer+WarriorThe not go-to support composition. Warrior remains an all-round desired class due to banners and great damage. Necromancer is not quite in such a bad spot as people on the forums make him out to be. Power Reaper is fine for fractals. Heal scourge is a hard carry as secondary healer for just about all content. This composition is one you could run if you don't want to be the support backbone of team compositions (support backbone usually being some kind of healer+x setup which provides all essential combat boons).

Any combination of those classes works but there is something to be said about playing a duo support comp which makes getting into instanced content easier. Damage dealers are once again dime a dozen.

EDIT: these are just which came to mind immediately. I'm sure other posters will have good ideas too to add so don't see this as these are the only comps.

@NoctisKunz.3947 said:

• Is there a damager parser that's used? We may not care about top tippy dps, or speedruns, but I believe to be a good raider, or a strong pve teammate, you gotta be able to monitor progress and growth on a damage scale.

Arcdps.

@NoctisKunz.3947 said:

• I don't know if this matters, We're on Dragonband. We do have HoT, but not PoF. We plan on picking it up Friday.

It matter only in a sense that you might want to consider playing the entire story again when returning. If you played up to shortly before HoT you might have memories of Scarlet Briar. I would highly recommend to go through the entire story 1nce to get up to speed where the games narrative is at now. That's is just me though.

@NoctisKunz.3947 said:Our goals is to find a class that we can grow into.. Grow as a player, and as a team. Hopefully dipping into duo-ing dungeons for the transmog, maybe go into WvW, Team ranked Pvp, and raiding at a higher level, but not a speedrun mindset. What classes would you recommend to check out, resources that's available. What're some good endgame tasks that you personally enjoy?

Good luck to both of you. Last recommendation I would give is: take your time. If a class does not work for you really don't force it. Give other classes a try. In this game it can be the difference between staying for years or burning out after a few weeks.