Show off your characters from when you started to Now. Let's see that growth

Hot Boy.7138

I was inspired by a post i saw on reddit of a guy showing off his character from when he started to now. I wanted to show off my own character's growth. And I'm curious to see the growth of other characters, especially long time players. This is my mesmer and main from launch to now. I came along way from those stick weapons to full legendary armor and weapons. Surprisingly, the center pieces of my wardrobe are the skins that launched with the game.

se7IXXB.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I no longer have old screenshots of my early toon looks as I'm on my 3rd PC since launch, although most of mine haven't changed in at least 6 years.

I will say whilst I am not a fan of glowing toons, yours actually comes out really well. A superb job of blending colours and pieces - a lot of thought clearly went into your 2020 look and it paid off

@Randulf.7614 said:I no longer have old screenshots of my early toon looks as I'm on my 3rd PC since launch, although most of mine haven't changed in at least 6 years.

I will say whilst I am not a fan of glowing toons, yours actually comes out really well. A superb job of blending colours and pieces - a lot of thought clearly went into your 2020 look and it paid off

Thank you, I appreciate that. Sucks about not having your old screens from when you started. I didn't have on my computer either. But i'm a dork all the time, and have a whole facebook album of me playing from 2012 to 2013. So i got my old pics from that album

@MokahTGS.7850 said:The difference in bling is pretty funny. I would think my characters from 2012 would look the same, but I don't seem to have older pics...

sucks. I treasure my older pics the most cause when the game was new I had a lot of friends that bought the game with me. Sadly, out of the crew, I am the only one that stuck with it. So most of my old pics is us doing jump puzzles together, and halloween event together for the first time etc. nice to look back at old lion's arch too

Right... sadly I dont have my very first picture due to deleting the 32 bit version of Gw2... but I can do something a little different.

Oldest at the top, newest at the bottom: (dates will be under the image)dJZoHUQ.pngSadly I never had a front picture of the one above (left)September 2015^WLPBhZt.jpgAugust 2018^0Ee8JsD.jpgOctober 2018^7TJ2S6U.pngAugust 2020^

All are of the same character over the years, but sadly I have a feeling my look will never change from the last picture due to my rule on the boots and head must never change, so the only legs that look good are the current Elonian ones along with the Ebon shoulders. ( i have been using a simular look since December 2018, after that next to nothing changed (bar the ears top and shoulders as they came out)

Here's the oldest image I can find of my main character. She's level 11 and according to the meta data this was taken on 9th September 2012, the first time I found and completed Troll's End (which took the whole afternoon). That top from the HoM was pretty much my default skin while levelling up because I really like it and it's free to transmute. For some weird reason I thought the leggings clipping through the boots actually looked good.AIsw2UZ.jpg

And here's what she looked like though most of 2020. This is her 'Champion of Aurene' costume which I put together after playing the Icebrood Saga prologue and deciding it was time for her to really lean into the role. (I even thought about getting an infusion, then decided it would be an important statement that it's just clothes and Aurene hasn't branded her...besides none of them looked quite right and I couldn't be bothered with all that effort for something that wasn't right.)srxXjbMl.jpg

This is what she looks like right now, but this is just for Halloween:HXok3uLl.jpg

These two are what I tend to think of as her 'default' outfits which I always seem to go back to sooner or later, but I'm trying to branch out a bit instead of doing that:

xvzqThel.jpgcFK1Qnul.jpg

@Danikat.8537 said:Here's the oldest image I can find of my main character. She's level 11 and according to the meta data this was taken on 9th September 2012, the first time I found and completed Troll's End (which took the whole afternoon). That top from the HoM was pretty much my default skin while levelling up because I really like it and it's free to transmute. For some weird reason I thought the leggings clipping through the boots actually looked good.

The one with the crown and the bottom one are excellent designs

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Here's the oldest image I can find of my main character. She's level 11 and according to the meta data this was taken on 9th September 2012, the first time I found and completed Troll's End (which took the whole afternoon). That top from the HoM was pretty much my default skin while levelling up because I really like it and it's free to transmute. For some weird reason I thought the leggings clipping through the boots actually looked good.

Thanks!

I wasn't expecting to use the one with the crown for long, even though I put a lot of effort into making it, because even for me it's a bit shiny. But I ended up really enjoying it and kept it right up until Halloween. I think it helps that there's logic to it, even if only I know that. I really like when other people are able to put together an outfit which has a clear theme, but I never feel like my own attempts really work.

@Danikat.8537 said:

Thanks!

I wasn't expecting to use the one with the crown for long, even though I put a lot of effort into making it, because even for me it's a bit shiny. But I ended up really enjoying it and kept it right up until Halloween. I think it helps that there's logic to it, even if only I know that. I really like when other people are able to put together an outfit which has a clear theme, but I never feel like my own attempts really work.

Those two worked as a set so you've prob discredited yourself needlessly. What improved the crown one was that it actually worked with the holographic wings and it is almost impossible to make the early wings look good in this game, esp the angel and holographic ones. Most people just shove them on and they just look glaringly out of place

I'n lieu of their original looks (which were mostly heritage armour from the HoM anyway) here they are in 2020. They've largely remained the same since at least the end of LS1 (the last one was made just after HoT and used to have the rigid bat wing look until the folded dragon wings came out)

81GOY2J.jpghlXUdBK.jpg?1

uzG6KuY.jpg?1URz7IQF.jpg?1

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Smoosh.2718" said:September 2015
WLPBhZt.jpg
The chest piece was added to the game in 2017 with Path of Fire.The headpiece was added to the gemstore in 2018.

I had another picture on there, I'll try and reupload the correct one. I couldnt see the pictures as I was putting in the dates. oops!

EDIT.

Checked the dates again, nope mines still correct, (I dated them below the pictures not above) I have clarified this within the post to remove confusion.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"firedragon.8953" said:My journey has only been 6 months, but here is my progress from a Shiverpeaks norn warrior to a berserker and spellbreaker.
SoeEcD9.jpg

I like this one a lot

What's the sword by the way?

Thanks! I just got it! It is the Royal Flame Sword. It's one of the weapons you can choose from opening 1,000 trick-or-treat bags.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Flame_weapons

I tend to keep my characters' looks fairly plain, but also reflective of their story. My main is a sylvari thief named Celyn. He started out his story being ye olde stereotypical cheerful sapling, all full of innocence and wonder, and then everything from Claw Island onward conspired to completely break him.It did a pretty good job.

Back in 2018, when I first started playing. Looking at the Pale Tree like "...sure, Mom...whatever you say... [internally panicking]"

! qCanb06.jpg

And now, a daredevil in Path of Fire:

! Because there is sadly no Caladbolg staff, I just use Bramblethorne and pretend it's Caladbolg in staff form. why no caladbolg staff, arenanet :disappointed:! jUKOvEL.jpg

He has seen some things. Before and after "The Departing."

! E8FGu5i.png! Hey, if a sylvari's physical appearance can change with stress or trauma...I'd say dying and being magically rebuilt from ashes counts as "trauma."

@"Kichwas.7152" said:Oldest image I can find is from launch day 2012, even though I was in beta:(Edited this because I typed the above after finding a 2013 image, but before hitting post I found a few first day of launch images)

Then:uv1vUdM.jpg

gcVE6cd.jpg

And now:UIQiltY.jpg

Another, then:DbL9Nwn.jpgAnd now:FC4bYUP.jpg

I love your humans a lot.