Should Anet provide server information on player count?

I think this solution is too complicated for the problem it's trying to solve. We don't really need to know exactly how many players each map can hold or how many are currently there, all we need to know if whether or not it's full. The solutions proposed in the other discussions on this topic - colour coding or adding a symbol next to squads on full maps in the LFG menu - would be much easier to read (especially when you're trying to find a squad quickly) and therefore more effective.

(Also your poll is pretty confusing, I don't understand the difference between the two yes options or the difference between saying they should focus on other things or should focus specifically on balance. It seems like you're setting it up to fail by giving one clear 'no' option and splitting the votes on all the others.)

@Danikat.8537 said:I think this solution is too complicated for the problem it's trying to solve. We don't really need to know exactly how many players each map can hold or how many are currently there, all we need to know if whether or not it's full. The solutions proposed in the other discussions on this topic - colour coding or adding a symbol next to squads on full maps in the LFG menu - would be much easier to read (especially when you're trying to find a squad quickly) and therefore more effective.

(Also your poll is pretty confusing, I don't understand the difference between the two yes options or the difference between saying they should focus on other things or should focus specifically on balance. It seems like you're setting it up to fail by giving one clear 'no' option and splitting the votes on all the others.)

Basically 2 yes options and 4 no options.

You have to know why they saying yes and why they saying no.

You saying no because you don't think you should know?You saying no because you think they have better stuff to do?You saying no because you really care about balance and they should just do balance?You saying no because you think they gonna charge people for this feature?You saying yes because it would be nice to know informationYou saying yes because you hate wasting time joining squads in full instances

Its called marketing, you gotta know why they say what they say.Simple yes or no aint gonna cut it. You gotta get right down to the detail.Ahhh this is why.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think this solution is too complicated for the problem it's trying to solve. We don't really need to know exactly how many players each map can hold or how many are currently there, all we need to know if whether or not it's full. The solutions proposed in the other discussions on this topic - colour coding or adding a symbol next to squads on full maps in the LFG menu - would be much easier to read (especially when you're trying to find a squad quickly) and therefore more effective.

You saying no because you don't think you should know?You saying no because you think they have better stuff to do?You saying no because you really care about balance and they should just do balance?You saying no because you think they gonna charge people for this feature?You saying yes because it would be nice to know informationYou saying yes because you hate wasting time joining squads in full instances

Its called marketing, you gotta know why they say what they say.Simple yes or no aint gonna cut it. You gotta get right down to the detail.Ahhh this is why.

Actually, a simple "no answer" does cut it ... they don't need to provide any details. it's a service they provide and they don't need to give us information that isn't necessary to play the game. The poll is pretty irrelevant; if you want to make a suggestion on how to improve the game, just do it. No need for these weird tactics.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think this solution is too complicated for the problem it's trying to solve. We don't really need to know exactly how many players each map can hold or how many are currently there, all we need to know if whether or not it's full. The solutions proposed in the other discussions on this topic - colour coding or adding a symbol next to squads on full maps in the LFG menu - would be much easier to read (especially when you're trying to find a squad quickly) and therefore more effective.

Actually, a simple "no answer" does cut it ... they don't need to provide any details. it's a service they provide and they don't need to give us information that isn't necessary to play the game.

So your pick would beNo, because I dont need to know.

Must be from a different generation I suppose.

Back in my days.Diablo2,3 of 8 players on this serverStarcraft,6 of 8 players on this serverFPS gamesGameSpyGameSpy says the server has 11 of 16 players on this server

I guess people of this generationSo accustomed to video games giving them restrtictions... Such as, we don't want you to know your MMR for PvP. We don't want you to know how many players in this zone.Restriction restriction restriction

That people assume, being given max players and player count is an expansion pack itself. Only businesses need to know that.

Not from my generation.Starcraft, it told you AND EVERYONE ELSE your MMRIt told you AND EVERYBODY ELSE your win and lossYOU SETUP the ranked matches yourself.1v1 1700+

No restriction era.

But I guess, todays timeEveryone assumes they don't need to know data.

Even OSRS889 players playing on Server 0971997 of 2000 players on Server 001

...GW2 actually started out being informative and open, but now its going to close and restrictive.Perfect example, Hotjoins. max players and players in the server.

Now Ranked. Who knows whose qued. Who knows the MMR. Who know this or that.Too restrictive to know.

It's not about being 'a generation' ... it's about understanding what I get as a service from Anet ... and what I don't. It's irrelevant what other games did or why they did it. What GW2 does has nothing to do with what other games have or do.

GW2 NEVER had server population counts ... so whatever accusation you have that they aren't informative and open is just rhetorical here.

@Obtena.7952 said:It's not about being 'a generation' ... it's about understanding what I get as a service from Anet ... and what I don't. It's irrelevant what other games did or why they did it. What GW2 does has nothing to do with what other games have or do.

GW2 NEVER had server population counts ... so whatever accusation you have that they aren't informative and open is just rhetorical here.

I mention it in the post. Sure it says server, but we talking about instances.Every option says instances.

So if you are for it.

This is what you will be able to see

Dragonfall 20 of 80 players in zone (say its instance 2, instance 1 is FULL, instance 3 is up just in case instance 2 gets full, always have a backup)WvW borderland, 29 of 80 players in the WvW borderland, hrmm I want outnumber buff, I'll goto one with 5 of 80 players.Doing a Tequatl event? Well, I'll just check the instances. Oh 7 of the 9 are full. Let me just join the 8th instance, why bother joining the 9th instance hardly anybody there.

Just like Hotjoins.You bring up menu.Server 1 - 30 FULLServer 33 14 of 20 players. I'll join Server 33

Server 50 - 99 are 5v5s? Yeah fuck 5v5. 8v8 is where its at.

@Vavume.8065 said:Why would I ever need to know this information? I can already tell if a map is full if I cannot join it, but I would like a queue system added to PVE maps.

A queue system?

SayTequatl event going on,6 instances4 are full.

So you want to que into one of the full ones (commander has it up in lfg is why).Thing is your in instance 6Instance 5 20/80, oops Tequatl is up, all sudden its 70/80.

Your still in instance 6 clueless, still queued in say instance 3. Its still full.

Minutes later all done.You ready to join the instance?

Tequatl already dead.

Meanwhile, instance 5 still had room for 10 more playersMeanwhile instance 5 beat Tequatl

Your now in instance 3.Its asking you if you would like to leave instance and get a buff to not enough players now and its going back to 1 and 2 instances.

There you go, you que'd, you did not get Tequatl.

Que system not very effective.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:It's not about being 'a generation' ... it's about understanding what I get as a service from Anet ... and what I don't. It's irrelevant what other games did or why they did it. What GW2 does has nothing to do with what other games have or do.

I mention it in the post. Sure it says server, but we talking about instances.Every option says instances.

So if you are for it.

This is what you will be able to see

Dragonfall 20 of 80 players in zone (say its instance 2, instance 1 is FULL, instance 3 is up just in case instance 2 gets full, always have a backup)WvW borderland, 29 of 80 players in the WvW borderland, hrmm I want outnumber buff, I'll goto one with 5 of 80 players.Doing a Tequatl event? Well, I'll just check the instances. Oh 7 of the 9 are full. Let me just join the 8th instance, why bother joining the 9th instance hardly anybody there.

Just like Hotjoins.You bring up menu.Server 1 - 30 FULLServer 33 14 of 20 players. I'll join Server 33

Server 50 - 99 are 5v5s? Yeah kitten 5v5. 8v8 is where its at.

OK ... I mean, I'm not debating how it could work. It could work hundreds of different ways. I'm questioning your approach to the thread ... because having a poll about something like this seems to me like you want to say something about the game ... but for some reason, way to sheepish to actually say it.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

Actually, a simple "no answer" does cut it ... they don't need to provide any details. it's a service they provide and they don't need to give us information that isn't necessary to play the game.I guess people of this generationSo accustomed to video games giving them restrtictions... Such as, we don't want you to know your MMR for PvP. We don't want you to know how many players in this zone.Restriction restriction restriction

How is this any meaningful "restriction"? And how can you know what "generation" is voting/talking here?

That people assume, being given max players and player count is an expansion pack itself. Only businesses need to know that.

???What are you even talking about here?

Starcraft (...)Even OSRS (...)"x has it!" is not a valid argument.

• Confused 1

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:Why would I ever need to know this information? I can already tell if a map is full if I cannot join it, but I would like a queue system added to PVE maps.

A queue system?

So you want to que into one of the full ones (commander has it up in lfg is why).Thing is your in instance 6Instance 5 20/80, oops Tequatl is up, all sudden its 70/80.

Your still in instance 6 clueless, still queued in say instance 3. Its still full.

Tequatl already dead.

Meanwhile, instance 5 still had room for 10 more playersMeanwhile instance 5 beat Tequatl

Your now in instance 3.Its asking you if you would like to leave instance and get a buff to not enough players now and its going back to 1 and 2 instances.

I'm more interested in getting into full meta maps, dragonstand etc.

@Vavume.8065 said:

A queue system?

Tequatl already dead.

I'm more interested in getting into full meta maps, dragonfall, dragonstand etc

You have the full meta map.

5 instances of DragonfallSay they made a que instead of this.You que into instance 3, its full. Instance 1,2 is full too. Instance 4 is 25/80 players, your stuck in instance 4, 10/80 players....Your still que'd, meanwhile instance 4 is doing the meta now too, at 65/80 players, instance 1,2,3 still full.YOU HAVE NO IDEA INSTANCE 4 IS DOING META... YOU DONT SEE PLAYER INFORMATION...Instance 1,2,3,4 finish the meta...Your que is up, and you join in on instance 3...A minute later, you get message to volunteer to leave the instance and get a bonus.......You never end up doing the meta.Everyone is now on a different map doing the meta...My system.Instance 1,2,3 full, 4 is 25/80, 5 is 10/80. I'm in instance 5.Wait 1 min, instance 4 is now 65/80 packed and doing meta.IM ABLE TO SEE PLAYER INFORMATION, I KNOW.....Oh look instance 4 is 65/80, I'll join in on that instance.I got to do meta.I'm a happy camper........Current systemLFG WINDOW.Join squad.FULLJoin Squad.FULLJoin Squad.FULLno other squads,instance 4 is bunch of pugs pugging out successfully the meta. Probably waiting for instance 1,2,3 not to be full too.Your stuck in instance 5, the backup if instance 4 gets full... Unlucky.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

A queue system?

Tequatl already dead.

5 instances of DragonfallSay they made a que instead of this.You que into instance 3, its full. Instance 1,2 is full too. Instance 4 is 25/80 players, your stuck in instance 4, 10/80 players....Your still que'd, meanwhile instance 4 is doing the meta now too, at 65/80 players, instance 1,2,3 still full....Instance 1,2,3,4 finish the meta...You join in on instance 3...You get message to volunteer to leave the instance and get a bonus.......You never end up doing the meta.Everyone is now on a different map doing the meta...My system.Oh look instance 4 is 65/80, I'll join in on that instance.I got to do meta.I'm a happy camper.

You do realise you can join a squad and then could try to queue to get into that squads map right? at least that is how I would expect a queue system to work. So firstly I could join a squad, ask them how far progressed they are, and then I would know if it worth queing for that instance by joining on the commander of that raid group, which should then put me into a queue for that commanders IP map.

@Vavume.8065 said:

A queue system?

Tequatl already dead.

5 instances of DragonfallSay they made a que instead of this.You que into instance 3, its full. Instance 1,2 is full too. Instance 4 is 25/80 players, your stuck in instance 4, 10/80 players....Your still que'd, meanwhile instance 4 is doing the meta now too, at 65/80 players, instance 1,2,3 still full....Instance 1,2,3,4 finish the meta...You join in on instance 3...You get message to volunteer to leave the instance and get a bonus.......You never end up doing the meta.Everyone is now on a different map doing the meta...My system.Oh look instance 4 is 65/80, I'll join in on that instance.I got to do meta.I'm a happy camper.

You do realise you can join a squad and then could try to queue to get into that squads map right? at least that is how I would expect a queue system to work. So firstly I could join a squad, ask them how far progressed they are, and then I would know if it worth queing for that instance by joining on the commander of that raid group.

Yeah... FULLEvent is OVER. People leave, que is open.Now your in.....ITS OVER.POINTLESS NOWYou wanted to KILL TEQUATL, not join in after he just died.

The reason I voted yes is because I have seen map instances where lots of players in Dragonfall for example were working on other things like unlocking their skyscale as opposed to trying to complete events or the meta event, because when you complete the meta event the map resets and if they were close to finding the item they needed for their skyscale they have to start finding it from the beginning of the map again. Having information on player counts may somewhat help in distinguishing between Dragonfall map instances where players are working on their skyscale and don't want to be bothered by resets, and other maps that are actively trying to finish the meta event.

I'm not sure if this would be the best solution for this kind of problem though, and there may be better suggestions for it.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

A queue system?

Tequatl already dead.

You do realise you can join a squad and then could try to queue to get into that squads map right? at least that is how I would expect a queue system to work. So firstly I could join a squad, ask them how far progressed they are, and then I would know if it worth queing for that instance by joining on the commander of that raid group.

Yeah... FULLEvent is OVER. People leave, que is open.Now your in.....ITS OVER.POINTLESS NOWYou wanted to KILL TEQUATL, not join in after he just died.

I already mentioned I am not interested in tequal...

@Atomos.7593 said:The reason I voted yes is because I have seen map instances where lots of players in Dragonfall for example were working on other things like unlocking their skyscale as opposed to trying to complete events or the meta event, because when you complete the meta event the map resets and if they were close to finding the item they needed for their skyscale they have to start finding it from the beginning of the map again. Having information on player counts may somewhat help in distinguishing between Dragonfall map instances where players are working on their skyscale and don't want to be bothered by resets, and other maps that are actively trying to finish the meta event.

I'm not sure if this would be the best solution for this kind of problem though, and there may be better suggestions for it.

Sure, it doesn't have to be people working on meta events.Maybe you just want to be in the most packed instance.Not the backup and nobody doing anything instance.ORthe volunteer into an instanceTHEN VOLUNTEER AGAIN a minute later.You want to be in the main instance, the most packed AVAILABLE one.......ORWvW sake,the loser servers. Be in the one with outnumbered buff for the pipes.Apparently you get rewarded BIG TIME for being a loser.You can easily check, oh 2/80 players there, yep outnumbered buff there.Rather than, hop hop hop, wait 6 minutes or so to see if Outnumbered will appear.

AKAI want to know the info because I HATE wasting my time.

@"uberkingkong.8041" said:For me, I wanna know if I'm in the good instance.I should know it.I shouldn't be wondering.... Is there an instance with MORE PLAYERS and ISNT FULL.

WvW when losing badly and nothing but defeats.WHICH WORLD is the one with the outnumbered buff. PIPE FARMING TIME. Which one has nobody on it.

If you see people tagged up with filled squads, it's a good instance.If you're in the instance with other people around while other instances are full then you tag up or ask people if they can tag up for meta and then you know you're in an instance that tries to organize a new one.If you try to get into a full instance (because that's "the good one" I assume?), then total instance player counter doesn't change anything about that.

It doesn't seem you ever need to "wonder if there's a better instance", you simply check that by checking available squads.

• Confused 1

If I recall correctly instance being full is not only based on the number of players in the instance but also the number of requests to join. Don't have a source for this.

Anyway, I don't really care and wouldn't really help me. Maybe it would be even worse when people would hop instances before meta events because numbers and would be harder for the commanders to organise everything.

The game already shows you squad numbers in LFG.

For the farm maps, at worst there's a couple of "extra" people in map (doing the racing or carving dailies or whatever, if it's Lab) and you wasted 5 seconds trying to join an almost-full map that's actually 100% full; but that's no different from joining an almost-full map that fills up while you're staring at the LFG tool. This is trivial.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:WvW when losing badly and nothing but defeats.WHICH WORLD is the one with the outnumbered buff. PIPE FARMING TIME. Which one has nobody on it.

If shopping around for the Outnumbered buff became absolutely automatic and frictionless, it would be harder to actually get the buff since far more people would jump around like flees trying to obtain it.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

WvW when losing badly and nothing but defeats.WHICH WORLD is the one with the outnumbered buff. PIPE FARMING TIME. Which one has nobody on it.

Losing in WvW has little to do with outnumbered. I am frequently on outnumbered maps and pulling a better PPT and K/D ratio.

And I have seen plenty of queued maps getting their butts kicked overall...

Keep this out of WvW.